P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

33 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Raining this morning.

Just gone into church and afterwards we are popping along to a local retail outlet.

IMG_20200906_095211.jpg

What a beautiful interior. I'm fascinated by old churches. We love to wander around them in the different places that we visit. 

Avril

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I agree Avril it does looks like daylight robbery - but if people are prepared to pay I guess the temptation to cash in must be huge, especially if it represents a life-line in businesses surviving after a disastrous year for trade.  Not that I agree on a moral level but I can understand and in their circumstances, if my business was near to failing, would I do the same?  Not an easy question to answer.  

I agree, but my sense of fair play makes me balk at the thought.

Avril

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Condolences.. 

Just to rub it in, it is a beautiful day down here for embarkation and sail away... 😊

Andy 

We been saying similar for every  single activity  we’ve had cancelled this year. ‘Would have been a nice day for it’

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I can perfectly understand the increases to cover their losses for this season, but an increase of £600 for a week in a basic caravan on Hayling Island sounds more like daylight robbery than covering their losses.

Avril

We are on our second caravan( lodge?) Holiday this year. We booked fairly early and got decent prices. Restaurants etc in Devon and Cornwall are pretty much the same as before price wise, but the ripoff prices are around. A small paper cup of rubbish take away coffee £3. The traders who are obviously trying to fleece the punters deserve to go bust. Yesterday evening we ate in a small bistro that we had booked in advance about a month ago. They couldn't offer the time we wanted, but offered an alternative. When we arrived a big note on the specials board. Thanks for supporting us. When we sat down, the owner said would you like a bottle of white, or red wine on the house. We got a 20% discount as well. Some people are still welcoming tourists, but not all. Haven't heard much from Salcombe recently,?😁

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We been saying similar for every  single activity  we’ve had cancelled this year. ‘Would have been a nice day for it’

Look on the bright side. We would have returned from our Iona cruise this weekend. Gary got seasick. Food was cold, weather lousy. We can look forward to all being well. Same time next year.🚣.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We are on our second caravan( lodge?) Holiday this year. We booked fairly early and got decent prices. Restaurants etc in Devon and Cornwall are pretty much the same as before price wise, but the ripoff prices are around. A small paper cup of rubbish take away coffee £3. The traders who are obviously trying to fleece the punters deserve to go bust. Yesterday evening we ate in a small bistro that we had booked in advance about a month ago. They couldn't offer the time we wanted, but offered an alternative. When we arrived a big note on the specials board. Thanks for supporting us. When we sat down, the owner said would you like a bottle of white, or red wine on the house. We got a 20% discount as well.

Those are the places that should be remembered and returned to time and time again. They will recoup their losses the honest way. The others should be avoided at all cost. I would never return to a place that tried to fleece me. Once bitten, twice shy.

Avril

• Like 2

We’ve had our first case for 108 days confirmed here this morning but they’re allegedly self isolating after adhering to all the protocols for people returning to the island so nothing is changing just life as normal still no restrictions. I was talking to my cousin earlier whose girlfriend has been stuck on Virgin Gorda since this all started and they thought they were all clear out there so the government had a big party to celebrate, brought entertainment in from the US Virgin Islands resulting in 50 cases and rising and now back in strict lockdown again so not looking too hopeful for going anywhere near there for a while yet. 

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Look on the bright side. We would have returned from our Iona cruise this weekend. Gary got seasick. Food was cold, weather lousy. We can look forward to all being well. Same time next year.🚣.

Ah, Aversion Therapy,  I like it. 😵🥴

Avril

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Why sell it cheap when you have already sold it high?

Even though they are soft bookings, the balance sheet says they are in high demand. 

It's happening locally too, a week outside of school holidays this October in a basic caravan on Hayling Island is over £800, last year £199...

It could all change quite quickly when balances are due and confidence is still low. 

The whole face of cruising has changed for a while I'm afraid. 

Late bookings will be the only way of grabbing a bargain for a while. 

Andy 

That seems unbelievable.  We are laying just under £300 for a week at the end of September, for a 3 bedroom static caravan in Seaton.  

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That seems unbelievable.  We are laying just under £300 for a week at the end of September, for a 3 bedroom static caravan in Seaton.  

I checked out other resorts with the same company and although a bit dearer than you would expect, not drastically. 

Hayling Island must be the place to be this October... 

Andy 

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree, but my sense of fair play makes me balk at the thought.

Avril

True - and I share your sentiments.  But if you have employees relying on the work you provide.........  It's a real moral dilemma. 

I accept that big companies are perhaps not so worried about their workers on an individual level as compared with the bottom line but smaller companies may have a close relationship with their workforce and may be persuaded to bite the bullet and hike up prices just to survive for themselves and for those who depend on them.  Just glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions. 

Having said that I would fully support any company which is seen to be doing the 'right thing' over those who are cynically cashing in - it's just weighing up what may be reasonable for any given firm in the circumstances. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I can perfectly understand the increases to cover their losses for this season, but an increase of £600 for a week in a basic caravan on Hayling Island sounds more like daylight robbery than covering their losses.

Avril

I agree.

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I agree.

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

True - and I share your sentiments.  But if you have employees relying on the work you provide.........  It's a real moral dilemma. 

I accept that big companies are perhaps not so worried about their workers on an individual level as compared with the bottom line but smaller companies may have a close relationship with their workforce and may be persuaded to bite the bullet and hike up prices just to survive for themselves and for those who depend on them.  Just glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions. 

Having said that I would fully support any company which is seen to be doing the 'right thing' over those who are cynically cashing in - it's just weighing up what may be reasonable for any given firm in the circumstances. 

It is difficult but it is just what people are willing to pay. 

If they were struggling to get customers in, they would have to reduce prices, if not, they will charge what they can. 

There will be some people who think £100 per person for an eight berth caravan is OK, especially in the current market. 

Andy 

Dynamic pricing, pure and simple. Prices increase in line with demand, which is why holidays in the school holidays are relatively expensive.

Almost all companies exist simply to make money for their shareholders, and that’s what they do. They might take longer term reputational damage into account when setting prices, but that’s never bothered highly successful companies like Ryanair.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It is difficult but it is just what people are willing to pay. 

If they were struggling to get customers in, they would have to reduce prices, if not, they will charge what they can. 

There will be some people who think £100 per person for an eight berth caravan is OK, especially in the current market. 

Andy 

Too true .....   and coming back to my earlier post, I feel sure if the cruise experience resembles something we might consider 'normal' next year, there will be takers even at inflated prices.   Within reason, I can see us accepting prices we would previously have rejected simply to be able to resume cruising which we have missed so much this year.  That would probably mean fewer trips in the year but I think a lot of people are pretty desperate to get back to 'normal' if that is at all possible. 🤞

• Like 6

Glad your operation went well

i keep looking at cruises and Florida but darent book anything. 

would love to just get back on topic with cruises only but with everything going on that’s not gonna be possible and I know this thread and others have kept a lot of us going so I’m up to discuss most thing

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

would love to just get back on topic with cruises only but with everything going on that’s not gonna be possible and I know this thread and others have kept a lot of us going so I’m up to discuss most thing

I certainly wouldn't consider anything in America. I would have thought cruises in Europe will be up and running long before America will be safe to visit again.  How's Bodie? Still doing well I hope.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Vamps - we used to love our Febuaries in Sarasota, but there's no way we'll be booking a villa there anytime soon. Put your holiday money into Premium Bonds until things settle down.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I have a Florida cruise booked (not P&O) - for January 2022!  It was booked last autumn on board with only a small deposit and is movable.  By then, I would love to think we can do what we have been doing for many years now, and that is spending January in Florida, dividing our time between Disney's Boardwalk, Vero Beach and Old Key West resorts (all DVC; we've been members for 24 years so this is relatively cheap accommodation for us) in addition to a cruise, preferably out of Fort Lauderdale but sometimes Miami.  We often don't bother with the parks, even though we have some non-expiry tickets, but enjoy the resorts.  I tell you this because I know that you are keen to get back and I hope that you are able to plan for your family trips again before too long 🤞  

19 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I certainly wouldn't consider anything in America. I would have thought cruises in Europe will be up and running long before America will be safe to visit again.  How's Bodie? Still doing well I hope.

Avril

We have an Alaskan cruise booked for next June. Alaska isn't really America is it?. Alaskans don't think so anyway.😁

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have an Alaskan cruise booked for next June. Alaska isn't really America is it?. Alaskans don't think so anyway.😁

The Alaskan cruises mostly start in Canada or at least the ones we we’re looking at so just wandering how would that work out.