P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, kalos said:

I tried posting on a knitting forum once but they barred me for using wrong thread 🙃

@Bloodaxe I don't think anyone has said "you should not post" but possibly find

it strange that you pass comment on food etc going on what you have read  about

P&O ships  Some folk over the years have been known to post a few years before 

sailing .

I accept that I should not comment on P and O food, that was not my intention.

I was just saying that based on some of the reports of people who sail both

lines Saga seams to be superior in the main dining room.

It is noticeable that one regular poster mainly uses the speciality restaurant's.

I will stick with Saga, each to their own did not mean to offend anyone

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today.

I have had a stressful couple of days. My mum (nearly 90) had a fall in St Annes on Weds, the front wheel of her Walker got stuck in small pot hole and she carried on walking and went flat on her face. To cut a long story short she dislodged her front teeth and has lots of facial bruising but she is ok. The dentist has moved her teeth back into place and has secured them with a wire for two weeks. I have seen her this morning, she is doing well but her face is badly bruised but she is fine in herself.

On a different note the island for our kitchen and the new outside door arrived this morning, been fitted tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend everyone 

Michelle

Sorry to hear that you Mum had a fall and hope she recovers quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

The reason for the early start is so that the teachers can be sure that everyone is in school before the scheduled exam time and can calm the nervous pupils .  They use the time before the exam starts to do last minute cramming although if they haven't already revised I can't see the point.  Anyone who needs to can use the restrooms before going into the hall.  They go into the hall at 8:45, find their seats and settle down before the exam starts at 9am. 

That explains it. Thanks.

Last minute cramming can be helpful, especially if it is reinforcing what they have to do in the exam, rather than what they know, which as you say is a little pointless. I hope they all get the results they deserve to get - hopefully high grades.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

It is noticeable that one regular poster mainly uses the speciality restaurant's.

Pauline and I keep ourselves to ourselves especially at Dinner and the speciality restaurants provide the ambience,table for 2 instantly where we want to sit,food quality and service to make our cruise extra special and worth the extra money to us but the food in the MDR has never been an issue for us.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline and I keep ourselves to ourselves especially at Dinner and the speciality restaurants provide the ambience,table for 2 instantly where we want to sit,food quality and service to make our cruise extra special and worth the extra money to us but the food in the MDR has never been an issue for us.

We also prefer to have a table for 2, not because we are anti-social but because we found many cruises ago that we never eat more than 3 courses and it feels rude to get up and leave the table while other people are still eating.

We also invariably eat in the speciality restaurants several times a week just for the quieter experience.

• Like 8

Good morning a dull but dry day here as well (at the moment )

Sat having a cuppa and todays list of to do jobs is put the car back on 

the drive if  the skip man comes and takes away the old roof tiles today.

Take care and have a good day everyone .🙂

• Like 5

Grey and dull here too. Busy day today cleaning and making sure house is nice for a good friend who house/dog sits for us and the dreaded packing for tomorrows sailing on Arcadia.

Need more coffee before I start on any of the above 😴

• Like 7

Morning everyone,

Dull again down here, although after overnight rain the sun is trying to get out, 13c at present and not expected to get much higher than16c, but it's dry.

Nothing planned for today, just the normal chores.

Hope you all have an enjoyable weekend.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Dobbers said:

Grey and dull here too. Busy day today cleaning and making sure house is nice for a good friend who house/dog sits for us and the dreaded packing for tomorrows sailing on Arcadia.

I hope you have an amazing cruise tomorrow on Arcadia.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

As these folk have previously discussed, Saga can be 2, or 3 times the cost of P&O. Reviews of Saga aren't all as glowing as you suggest. We will be taking a Royal cruise in September and have booked a multi night speciality dining package. Not because we expect the MDR food to be poor, but for a bit if variety and because it's cheaper.  Tight folk us P&Oers.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I'm absolutely sure that none of the regulars on here will be offended in the slightest.

As @kalos stated there are other posters who haven't sailed with P&O that contribute. There are also some who've stated that they'll never sail with P&O again. A lot of it goes back to the non-cruising Covid lockdown days when this "chat" thread started with loads of different posters coming and going since then, many of whom probably simply appreciated an avenue to chat and share life experiences.

I think that the original question was simply out of interest as some may have joined this chat just to get a feel for the brand and maybe its clientele prior to taking the plunge and booking a P&O cruise.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Dobbers said:

Hope you have a lovely cruise.

We are sailing on Arcadia in November for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A lovely morning now though it was dull and drizzling earlier.  It is 12 ° at the moment but is forecast to get up to 14° so a nice afternoon to look forward to for bowling. 

We are bowling at home and have to provide the refreshments so I have baked a lemon drizzle tray bake as my contribution.

Have a great day whatever you are doing.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

A lovely morning now though it was dull and drizzling earlier.  It is 12 ° at the moment but is forecast to get up to 14° so a nice afternoon to look forward to for bowling. 

We are bowling at home and have to provide the refreshments so I have baked a lemon drizzle tray bake as my contribution.

Have a great day whatever you are doing.

Do spectators get lemon drizzle tray bake too? If I wasn’t in Wales at the moment, it would be worth coming along just for that, and watching the game too of course, but mainly the cake. 😊

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

I'm absolutely sure that none of the regulars on here will be offended in the slightest.

As @kalos stated there are other posters who haven't sailed with P&O that contribute. There are also some who've stated that they'll never sail with P&O again. A lot of it goes back to the non-cruising Covid lockdown days when this "chat" thread started with loads of different posters coming and going since then, many of whom probably simply appreciated an avenue to chat and share life experiences.

I think that the original question was simply out of interest as some may have joined this chat just to get a feel for the brand and maybe its clientele prior to taking the plunge and booking a P&O cruise.

Spot on Damian.Thanks for putting my similar thoughts into eloquent words.I sort of qualify having only sailed P&O once,but we only sail for itineraries and that one fitted the bill.This thread is unique so keep posting Bloodaxe,you have contributed a lot in the past.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Spot on Damian.Thanks for putting my similar thoughts into eloquent words.I sort of qualify having only sailed P&O once,but we only sail for itineraries and that one fitted the bill.This thread is unique so keep posting Bloodaxe,you have contributed a lot in the past.

Thank you, I only chip in occasional if I am interest in the subject under discussion, this time Saga had been mentioned.

I have not been a Saga regularly and it is far from perfect, it just fits our needs at the present time in our lives.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, brian1 said:

+1

I've sailed P&O a few times, for various reasons but not because I am a devotee, and they do exist but not on this thread 😁, which as you know, is friendly.

My friend has just returned from a Silver Seas cruise and proclaimed the food to be nowhere near up to the high standard of Saga.  I have no plans to try it because of their small ships - I was seasick on a Viking Oceans cruise in bad weather and they are the same size of ship.  I like a big ship with big stabilisers 😉

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, pete14 said:

Do spectators get lemon drizzle tray bake too? If I wasn’t in Wales at the moment, it would be worth coming along just for that, and watching the game too of course, but mainly the cake. 😊

Yes, we let spectators to have tea, coffee and whatever biscuits and cakes we have.  One of the ladies on the opposition team asked one of our players who made the cake and then came and asked if I could I email the recipe to her, I have just done so.

We won the game 189 - 87 even though we were short of players due to people being on holiday so some of us played twice, once in singles and once in doubles I won my singles match 21 - 5 and with the my doubles partner we won 21 - 10 so a good afternoon. 

Our captain was happy because he was concerned with having to ask 3 of us to play in doubles after playing in singles but we did it, I'm sure that there would have been some moaning if it had been raining.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Thank you, I only chip in occasional if I am interest in the subject under discussion, this time Saga had been mentioned.

I have not been a Saga regularly and it is far from perfect, it just fits our needs at the present time in our lives.

I have posted every day for a few years on HAL Fleet reports and daily but never sailed on HAL because they don't sail from Southampton.

I never post or comment on their ships,food etc because I haven't any personal experience.

Always nice to hear from you.

Kindest regards.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning all.  It’s bright & sunny here but a whippy breeze (?wind) will take the edge off, I think

Michelle - hope your Mum is improving and returning to her previous self

Enjoy Sunday everyone.  Last weekend before the footie starts.  Cricket T20 already on the go.  Not looking great for England but Scotland will be hoping6E150ED4-AC41-451A-A480-2D19EFE6CD3C.thumb.jpeg.64fbe938c66c00c06a91cfaf93fecaf0.jpeg

• Like 9