P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

Why do eateries insist on putting raw onion in their salads? After all, it is a vegetable! 

All depends on what you personally deem as a salad ingredient . As a young un 

I was brought up with spring onions ,grated carrot and beetroot which are all veg.

Folk even have nuts as part of a salad ,I suppose if we don't like it we have to 

ask those eateries to leave it out . The worst one for me was a wrap from some 

Indian take away's using raw red cabbage as salad ,hated the stuff.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

I was brought up with spring onions ,grated carrot and beetroot which are all veg.

Folk even have nuts as part of a salad ,I suppose if we don't like it we have to 

Unfortunately a lot of eateries make up the salad in bulk at the start of the day, so even if they remove it from my plate, the whole salad is tainted with a raw onion flavour. Yuk!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The last hour or so I  keep getting a ‘we value your privacy’ pop up on this site, I keep managing settings and decline all but it keeps popping up. Annoying.

Likewise.  I as wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. They don't seem to be satisfied unless you agree to data collection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

LOL.I had red cabbage in my salad today.

• Haha 2

Red onion, which is less strong than ordinary white, is often used in salads - I use it myself in salads and sandwiches, and used to be able to get Spanish  sweet onions, white, which are mild and slightly sweet and nice raw.  Have not seen them for a few years.  I find spring onions, the bulb bits, too strong.

A bit disappointed that our girl did not get the gold medal in the heptathlon, but she seemed to take it pretty well.  You have to admire those people who do these events, they are always pretty good at all of the individual sports.  An awful l lot of - to me - rather peculiar cycling  events, which I find pretty boring.

Yes, I have got the pop up thing too - maddening; hope it goes off soon.  Privacy my eye.

• Like 6

Today was the last day of the hearing  re the 'person, who crashed into our wall exactly   two years ago.

There were many charges and all were proven except one,   that was leaving the scene of an accident.

I don't understand this as he said he fancied a pint and invited me along, for a drink, I protested, but he went anyway.  after telling my neighbours where he as going.    He was found a few hours later by a Sergeant and two officers a mile of so away from the scene.

Am I missing something or going nuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I am one of those who chops up walnuts and puts them in my salad along with raw red cabbage and boiled beetroot when it is in season.  I hate pickled beetroot and never eat it so the boiled beetroot is a real treat for me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The last hour or so I  keep getting a ‘we value your privacy’ pop up on this site, I keep managing settings and decline all but it keeps popping up. Annoying.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Likewise.  I as wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. They don't seem to be satisfied unless you agree to data collection. 

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Yes, I’m getting it too. 

On my laptop "Nothing"  yet my phone had this annoying data collection crap that 

kept wanting me to accept but I declined .

It kept coming back so I deleted cookies and cache and removed the Homepage shortcut on the phone .

I have re -signed back in made new Homepage shortcut and it seems to have gone away .

Think it must have been an old cookie in the system causing the problem .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I am one of those who chops up walnuts and puts them in my salad along with raw red cabbage and boiled beetroot when it is in season.  I hate pickled beetroot and never eat it so the boiled beetroot is a real treat for me.

Planning to pull a couple of beetroots from my raised bed tomorrow and boil them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

Red onion, which is less strong than ordinary white, is often used in salads - I use it myself in salads and sandwiches, and used to be able to get Spanish  sweet onions, white, which are mild and slightly sweet and nice raw.  Have not seen them for a few years.  I find spring onions, the bulb bits, too strong.

A bit disappointed that our girl did not get the gold medal in the heptathlon, but she seemed to take it pretty well.  You have to admire those people who do these events, they are always pretty good at all of the individual sports.  An awful l lot of - to me - rather peculiar cycling  events, which I find pretty boring.

Yes, I have got the pop up thing too - maddening; hope it goes off soon.  Privacy my eye.

We had the famous Tropea onions in our part of Italy.A bit overpriced but all the other red onions in the area were lovely especially the spring onions.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

When I was a kid the greengrocers at the end of our road had a massive beetroot boiler in the backyard.It must have been 7ft tall.Everyone loved beetroot back in the day,lol.PS when I mentioned cheese and beetroot sarnies on the Princess forum most of the Yanks almost threw up.Don't know what they're missing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

Breakdancing today LL.I'm gonna campaign for dad dancing to be included.Had loads of practise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That would be a lot more fun than some of the cycling, Brian, and as fitness is considered so important now a worthy idea!  Should be restricted to over 40s or maybe 50s, though.

• Like 4

Morning , love or hate it ,tis the start of the football season, well for some teams 

it started last night .Will your team be top of the table? Who knows but for some 

joy ,others heartbreak. 

I remember when I used to go to football,if they lost it put me off my food.

I would go into the pizza shop and they would ask would I like my pizza cut into

eight pieces but I would ask for four as I wasn't that hungry and couldn't eat

that many🙃

Hope you all have a great day- Take care .🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, purplesea said:

My car must be about the oldest here, at 18 years old with about 74000 miles on the clock.  Although it is old and the paintwork is beginning to peel and fade, it's sound mechanically and passed it's last two MOTs with just a minor problem or two. 

I have an 18 year old Jazz with less than 60000 miles on the clock but bought a new Jazz last autumn, mostly because 'it was time' and I wanted heated seats and a heated steering wheel ☺️But, DH still drives locally in the old one (the front seats go back further giving more legroom and he's tall) and we have another car, a diesel estate, which we use for long journeys (eg Southampton).  He also has a (much cherished) long-wheelbase VW van for his hobby! 

Fortunately we have a very long, concealed driveway.  And just to reinforce that we are a bit bonkers to have 4 taxed and insured vehicles for the 2 of us, importantly they are all red!

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 8

Good morning.

17°C and sunny here.

I hope everyone is safe and happy.

I will be listening to BBC Radio Newcastle at 12.30pm for our first game of the season Sunderland v Cardiff.

I hope I don't turn it off before the match ends 😀🤞

• Like 6

DH has just asked where I am bowling this afternoon because Stoke are at home to Coventry and he was concerned that I could get caught in traffic if I was going on the A50, fortunately we are away out of the city in the opposite direction from the Brittania stadium and our B team is playing the A team from the club where we will be playing the B team so no traffic problems for either games hopefully.

• Like 4

Graham - being nosy - what are the big pink and blue things in the background?  They look a bit like giant toothpaste tubes, I wonder if they are bins?  They certainly stand out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Graham - being nosy - what are the big pink and blue things in the background?  They look a bit like giant toothpaste tubes, I wonder if they are bins?  They certainly stand out.

They are notice boards.

IMG_20240810_142419.jpg

IMG_20240810_142441.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I suspect that will change at some point especially now EVs will start paying from April 2025. 

I used to drive a diesel when I drove 12,000 miles a year, but it worked out more expensive when I reduced annual mileage to 7,000, so switched to petrol, since January last year I drive a petrol hybrid which I average 62 mpg, longer journeys I am up in the mid 70s, my wife’s hybrid averages 77mpg. My last car averaged around 40 mpg, around 55 on a long journey, so fuel costs have dropped for us. 

We only do just over 2500 miles a year.....so yes ....if our mileage was a lot higher it may be worth it to change to a petrol/hybrid...certainly not an EV... and for 9 years we have had zero road tax which I appreciate may change. Because of my hubby's age our days of long journeys are long gone and even though I have a driving licence my visual impairment  prevents me from doing so.

Changing the car is not worth it unless it becomes a necessity 🙂  

We only 

9 hours ago, brian1 said:

When I was a kid the greengrocers at the end of our road had a massive beetroot boiler in the backyard.It must have been 7ft tall.Everyone loved beetroot back in the day,lol.PS when I mentioned cheese and beetroot sarnies on the Princess forum most of the Yanks almost threw up.Don't know what they're missing.

You just brought back a lovely memory.

My dad had a big beetroot boiling pot which was purple even after it had been cleaned (it lived in the basement when not in use). He grew beetroot along with lots of other fruit and veg. The pot fitted over 3 of the gas rings. 

We ate beetroot for weeks (and weeks and weeks) along with mackerel, which we caught.

People grew (and caught or shot) a lot more food back in the day. I still grow herbs, rhubarb, soft fruits, apples etc but nothing like to the extent our family and neighbours did. People used to leave any surplus on each others door steps. One of our neighbours grew exotic things like purple broccoli, purple carrots and purple potatoes, you don’t even see purple veg now.

• Like 3