P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Sorry to read of your troubles but wonder if your missreading your heart readings .

After my heart failure I was a bitt miffed with my readings as I was not hitting  100% .

My cardio  told me if our hearts ran like that we would be like a balloon, that would 

inflate and deflate with every heart beat 

Ooooer Kalos... I really don't know.   They mentioned a 20% loss of power, but it was never followed up.   Never had cardiac follow ups, care in the community, my Doctor laughed at that.

I always mention  80% when I have ecgs, once in a pre op  the nurse said pleased you told me that I was going to get you checked out.

I will enquire next time I see a real Doctor.   You may well be right Kalos.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

You could use the machine to do that sir, said our helpful bank manager....If we all did that, the bank wouldn't need Managers......would it ?.🤔

Banks can be hard work, our main bank which was in the town centre and always busy

got shut down along with our local sub branch(which was also busy ).

Our bank was really helpful and told me to do online banking (which I don't) then they 

said well use your local post office ( The one that got robbed and never reopened )

Lucky for us we have a PO a few miles away.

When I needed some cash we have to travel 11 mile to our nearest main branch

if it's a fair amount ,which it was,anyone would think I was trying to rob myself .

I got lectures on money laundering and a call off their fraud dept.

I know they were looking out for me but it was hard work at the time.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

Banks can be hard work, our main bank which was in the town centre and always busy

got shut down along with our local sub branch(which was also busy ).

Our bank was really helpful and told me to do online banking (which I don't) then they 

said well use your local post office ( The one that got robbed and never reopened )

Lucky for us we have a PO a few miles away.

When I needed some cash we have to travel 11 mile to our nearest main branch

if it's a fair amount ,which it was,anyone would think I was trying to rob myself .

I got lectures on money laundering and a call off their fraud dept.

I know they were looking out for me but it was hard work at the time.

When we retired we wanted to pay off the mortgage....you can't do that sir...why not ?. You will be investigated to see where the money came from.  Easy, it's from one if the pension lump sums...They should be released soon sir....what ??. They are being investigated under the money laundering procedures.......one of them is from you, so you are investigating a payment from your own bank?....so it seems sir...at least P&O aren't too bothered where the money came from.😂

• Haha 11

I don’t know if any of you listen to Anti social, it’s a podcast by Adam Fleming who does newscast. This week it is all about regional accents and local verbal ticks, in this case the use of “Pet” in the north east. Apparently the local university has issued guidance about the use of it (or preferably not according to them).

It made me think about accents. We once had a gent a table who said (not in an unfriendly way) that he would not be speaking to me because he couldn’t understand a word I said as I had an accent. I smilingly pointed out that he had one too and that I just listened carefully to comprehend him. Funny how some geographical areas of the U.K. think it’s only others that have an accent. 

Locally the equivalent of pet is “son”, my mother even referred to her eminent oncologist as son. So while those in the north east don’t think you are their domesticated animal those here don’t think you are a long lost relative, it’s just a term of endearment.

So what are the other local terms eg have heard “my lover” in the deep south of England.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

In the Potteries it is Duck.

That must cause confusion if out of context 😀. People ducking down.

Reminds me of the collective shock when an Australian asked if he could wear his thongs in the main dining room. I’ll leave that one with you.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t know if any of you listen to Anti social, it’s a podcast by Adam Fleming who does newscast. This week it is all about regional accents and local verbal ticks, in this case the use of “Pet” in the north east. Apparently the local university has issued guidance about the use of it (or preferably not according to them).

It made me think about accents. We once had a gent a table who said (not in an unfriendly way) that he would not be speaking to me because he couldn’t understand a word I said as I had an accent. I smilingly pointed out that he had one too and that I just listened carefully to comprehend him. Funny how some geographical areas of the U.K. think it’s only others that have an accent. 

Locally the equivalent of pet is “son”, my mother even referred to her eminent oncologist as son. So while those in the north east don’t think you are their domesticated animal those here don’t think you are a long lost relative, it’s just a term of endearment.

So what are the other local terms eg have heard “my lover” in the deep south of England.

I am in Durham. Pet and also Love are very common. A few years ago someone decided this was demeaning and some employees were told not to use it. Obviously that didn't work and both endearments are regularly used. I can't understand p.c. surely it is better to be nice to people. Makes the world a better place.

My Mam also called people Son. When she moved into her retirement apartment (flat)🙂 She told all workmen. There you are son. Get yourself a drink. They probably all had more money than her

• Like 4

Good  afternoon all.

A quick  interlude from me. 

We arrived earlier In  Vienna, as we shall  be celebrating our wedding anniversary this week (43yrs) 

. The last few yrs we have  celebrated in Sidmouth Devon, n ew Forest,  northern lights cruise, & at home in Kent. So this Yr we decided to try some where we have  not been. We had an early flt down from Heathrow on BA, having spent last  night at H.Inn with parking including,  and for a first for us, carryon luggage, all we nt well, flight just under 2hrs, picked up at Airport,  arrived hotel 1hr later, out for a walk about & a very  nice  lunch in a cafe, glass of wine, ( sorry no pics of food) finished with an apple strudel. 

We plan to sight see tomorrow,  hope take pictures 📸  And report back.

All for  now. 

20240910_063102.jpg

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Ay up duck. What about this one

Cost tha kick a bo agen a wo an yed it til thee bost eet?" 

Can you kick a ball against the wall until you bust it?

I could only guess at it by saying it out loud.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Can you kick a ball against the wall until you bust it?

I could only guess at it by saying it out loud.

Lol, can you kick a ball against a wall and head it (should be with your head but I forgot to put that in) until it bursts. Loads of potteries slang around here. My grandad was very broad, sometimes I couldn't understand him and had to keep asking my mum what he had said.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

I can’t understand this obsession with eliminating local dialect, it reflects certain parts of the U.K. and should be cosseted. Just check out the bard of Barnsley, Ian McMillan an unidentified National Treasure.

Many years ago The Barnsley Chronicle had a column written by Owd Sam. It was a reflective/funny piece written with the broad Barnsley accent. I could never understand it and Frank's dad would translate it for me.

I can never understand why local accents are criticised. They give each county it's own uniqueness. 

Avril

• Like 10

2 hours ago, happy v said:

I am in Durham. Pet and also Love are very common. A few years ago someone decided this was demeaning and some employees were told not to use it. Obviously that didn't work and both endearments are regularly used. I can't understand p.c. surely it is better to be nice to people. Makes the world a better place.

My Mam also called people Son. When she moved into her retirement apartment (flat)🙂 She told all workmen. There you are son. Get yourself a drink. They probably all had more money than her

I use Pet, darling and mate.

Lunch today in a nice garden centre.

IMG_20240910_161106.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

Good  afternoon all.

A quick  interlude from me. 

We arrived earlier In  Vienna, as we shall  be celebrating our wedding anniversary this week (43yrs) 

. The last few yrs we have  celebrated in Sidmouth Devon, n ew Forest,  northern lights cruise, & at home in Kent. So this Yr we decided to try some where we have  not been. We had an early flt down from Heathrow on BA, having spent last  night at H.Inn with parking including,  and for a first for us, carryon luggage, all we nt well, flight just under 2hrs, picked up at Airport,  arrived hotel 1hr later, out for a walk about & a very  nice  lunch in a cafe, glass of wine, ( sorry no pics of food) finished with an apple strudel. 

We plan to sight see tomorrow,  hope take pictures 📸  And report back.

All for  now. 

20240910_063102.jpg

Happy 43rd wedding anniversary in Vienna.

IMG_20240910_163726.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Many years ago The Barnsley Chronicle had a column written by Owd Sam. It was a reflective/funny piece written with the broad Barnsley accent. I could never understand it and Frank's dad would translate it for me.

I can never understand why local accents are criticised. They give each county it's own uniqueness. 

Avril

Our local paper had something similar only it was called "as Amos see's it"

• Like 3

It is now lovely and sunny with us after a damp grey morning, not over warm. I have noticed the swallows massing on the phone wires over the last two days but they now seem to have flown south for the winter. 

Most Yorkshire folk will remember Charlie Williams, he always used to say "eyup flower". Back in the day people didn't take offence at the local slang terms, now some seem to look to be offended however nice you try to be.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Auntie's taxi service has just had a change of instructions for this afternoon.  Fortunately it is too cold for me to do much outside today do not a problem. 🙂

Screenshot_20240910-113743_WhatsApp.jpg.c2f424f3d010d229d13fc019bc66f346.jpg

Looking at the time some would say spiritual guidance 🤔

21 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is now lovely and sunny with us after a damp grey morning, not over warm. I have noticed the swallows massing on the phone wires over the last two days but they now seem to have flown south for the winter. 

Most Yorkshire folk will remember Charlie Williams, he always used to say "eyup flower". Back in the day people didn't take offence at the local slang terms, now some seem to look to be offended however nice you try to be.

I remember Charlie, he was a regular on the comedy shows on tv that would now be classed as very non PC. Later on he became a regular at the local nightclub in the late 60's or early 70's. A proud Barnsley man.

Can you imagine how curt and unfriendly things would sound without the local love, pet, duck or even 'mi owd cocker'😉

Avril

• Like 7