P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It was owned by  Canadian Jews, but they sold out/went bust. I worked for RMC. Lots of returned loads went into the docks...and other places!!. In 1990 I moved to Hanson, who was looking into buying Canary Wharf plc. I may well know your buddy, but best not mention names.🤣

That would explain Royal Bank of Canada then ...

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

It was owned by  Canadian Jews, but they sold out/went bust. I worked for RMC. Lots of returned loads went into the docks...and other places!!. In 1990 I moved to Hanson, who was looking into buying Canary Wharf plc. I may well know your buddy, but best not mention names.🤣

In the words of Phil Mitchell."I aint no grass and I dunno about any bodys"😀.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Cruising Nomads said:

I think the original owner of Canary Wharf was Fred. Olsen. It was named Canary Wharf because that's were F.O. used to bring the bananas from the Canary islands.

Canary Wharf was created on the old West India docks which closed in 1980 to facilitate the building.

West India Docks belonged to the Port of London and were first there in around 1790, if I recall correctly. It's a long time ago since I was busy running round sourcing land!

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Canary Wharf was created on the old West India docks which closed in 1980 to facilitate the building.

West India Docks belonged to the Port of London and were first there in around 1790, if I recall correctly. It's a long time ago since I was busy running round sourcing land!

Olympia&York took the development on, run by the Reichman brothers before they went bust.

• Like 1

Another silly o'clock time for getting up,  I woke up at 4:10 and unfortunately couldn't get back to sleep.  I don't have much planned today other than stealing my niece's dog for walk after I have dropped her off at school.

Have a good day whatever you have planned.

• Like 6

I have been up early as well Josy.

I had my flu injection yesterday afternoon and my arm is killing me, my head anches and I feel generally lousy. The nurse did warn me that I may not feel the best today. Anyway at least that’s it done for another year.

The sun is just beginning to come up here and it looks like another lovely day. It was cold overnight after a beautiful sunny day yesterday but no cloud means colder nights.

Have a good day all.

• Like 8

Good morning.

I have had a few days away in sunny Cheshire (near Knutsford). The journey up there on Monday was tedious and I have never seen so many road traffic accidents (some were bumps others were more serious). Thankfully coming back yesterday was trouble free altho I did take the option of the M6 toll as there were long delays on the non toll route.

Reading the comments about cement - I worked for Blue Circle in London for a couple of years!

Have a good day everyone.

By the way I do hope Jane @Beckett is ok.

Gill

• Like 10

Good Morning all,

It's going to be another nice warm and sunny day here, and again warmer than yesterday. Another day out in the garden, I think to make the most of it, before autumn and winter really set in.

Car is going into the garage for it's MOT today, so fingers crossed🤞

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

I worked for Blue Circle in London for a couple of years!

Have a good day everyone.

By the way I do hope Jane @Beckett is ok.

I once dated a woman who's dad was a bricklayer ..Cement the world to me 🙃

I hope Jane and everyone else has a superb day   !

Take care everyone 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Good morning.

It is 12°C and cloudy here.

I also hope Jane @Beckett will pop in to let us know she is well.

My favourite cousin from Shropshire is up here to visit her nephew so we took her and her husband out for a lovely meal last night.

We text each other regularly but it is 15 years since we actually last met when we brought my late mam and dad down to Telford to see her mam and dad.

I hope everyone is feeling well and we all have a great day.

• Like 11

Cloudy here and likely to remain so until at least lunchtime.  I remember holidaying in Towyn as a young teenager, with parents and younger bro and sister, and loving the Talyllyn  railway, wearing my favourite  summer dress, red and white stripes with a sailor collar.  Over 70 years ago!  Just looked it up, and lovely to see it is still going strong.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is 12°C and cloudy here.

I also hope Jane @Beckett will pop in to let us know she is well.

My favourite cousin from Shropshire is up here to visit her nephew so we took her and her husband out for a lovely meal last night.

We text each other regularly but it is 15 years since we actually last met when we brought my late mam and dad down to Telford to see her mam and dad.

I hope everyone is feeling well and we all have a great day.

I am interested that you have family links with Telford. We lived there for more than 30 years before moving to Stoke. It certainly changed out of all recognition over the time we were there.

• Like 1

Awake early here on Sky Princess. We have put the clocks back for 3 nights in a row as we cross the Atlantic so are now UK time -3 hrs so have effectively had 25 hr days.

After today 1 more sea day and then Corner Brook Saturday, Saguenay Monday and Quebec Tuesday Wednesday.

Sea conditions have been benign for the Atlantic with only some slight rocking at times.

We bought a Dior fragrances yesterday onboard and it is considerably cheaper than back in the uk, about 35 to 40% off with the conversion rate plus DW got a £85 Night Repair Serum for ‘free’. The Night Repair Serum was only 50ml and I told DW she’d need a bucket full for it to work, she knows I wasn’t being serious………I think, well she was still talking to me afterwards anyway 😊

• Like 14

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Cloudy here and likely to remain so until at least lunchtime.  I remember holidaying in Towyn as a young teenager, with parents and younger bro and sister, and loving the Talyllyn  railway, wearing my favourite  summer dress, red and white stripes with a sailor collar.  Over 70 years ago!  Just looked it up, and lovely to see it is still going strong.

Talyllyn Railway goes from Tywyn, which is about 70 miles from Towyn! 

We couldn't decide what to have for lunch today so we decided to go out. I had chilli con carne with rice which was deliciou, DH had chicken and ham pie with chips which he said was really good, we both had lemon meringue pie which we agreed was the worst we had ever tasted.  I still haven't managed to think what they had put in it but it was definitely nothing lemony.

It is sisters' monthly lunch tomorrow at a restaurant that I haven't been to for a long time but it used to be very good so hopefully that will be better.