P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never had any problems getting anything to our liking in MDR and with the amount of food being served throughout the day find a light lunch or just one course or soup and desert enough for us in MDR especially after having a full breakfast in there.

Never up in time for  breakfast in the MDR.  Shuts much too early. If they did Brunch, we might just get there in time. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

We do the same. There does seem to be some snobbery involved when people say that they will never eat in the buffet. There is the occasional example of bad manners, but we have experienced much worse in the MDR.

What, me a snob? I don't think so. We use the MDR for a variety of reasons.

I only have full sight in one eye and some people have no patience. I'm continually pushed and tutted at if I'm slow.

We're on holiday and it's nice to be waited on and spoilt for a change. 

And yes whether buffet or MDR you will always find crass, bad - mannered  self-entitled people. I'm not having a go at you wowzz,  just giving our reasons for avoiding the buffet 😉😆

Avril 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Thanking a chance with your health is completely your choice. Taking a chance with my health and my wife's is a chance too far in this day and age. When cruising starts again, that choice may not be yours to take. The "Self service buffet" may not exist.

At this rate, cruising may not exist as we know it either ---- this is going to go on a long time and it will be interesting to see how cruise lines adapt and recover.

Personally, we use the MDR / Select Dining options for the evening meals and the buffet for breakfast and lunch / snacks and have never been ill once.

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

If they did Brunch, we might just get there in time. ??

Sounds like you would struggle getting up for an all day breakfast Wowzz  :classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_biggrin: 

You can't beat an all day breakfast for lunch (if you see what I mean), preferably with a nice pint!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Personally, we use the MDR / Select Dining options for the evening meals and the buffet for breakfast and lunch / snacks and have never been ill once.

That sums up our usage and experience as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I understand all the reasons for not using the buffet and we do tend to use the mdr much more, but you can't beat seeing all the lovely food laid out. 

As for pushing and shoving, never seen it... 

Andy 

You may not have seen it Andy but I have certainly been on the receiving end a couple of times 😉

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Dont even get me started on those that get their meals in the buffet and then start eating it with their fingers while walking back to their table.

One occasion on Oceana we decided to try Cafe Jardin for lunch. First course self-service rest waiter service. At the entrance we were given the hand sanitiser. The lady in front of us used the gel and as she walked away took a hanky out of her trouser pocket and began blowing her nose. After stuffing it back in her pocket she proceeded to search through the bread rolls. Needless to say we continued out through the exit and down to the MDR.

Avril 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

At this rate, cruising may not exist as we know it either ---- this is going to go on a long time and it will be interesting to see how cruise lines adapt and recover.

Quite agree. I wonder if the hot tubs will survive. I often wonder where all the bubbles come from.  Not the most hygienic location on the ship, or am I being snobish?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

One occasion on Oceana we decided to try Cafe Jardin for lunch. First course self-service rest waiter service. At the entrance we were given the hand sanitiser. The lady in front of us used the gel and as she walked away took a hanky out of her trouser pocket and began blowing her nose. After stuffing it back in her pocket she proceeded to search through the bread rolls. Needless to say we continued out through the exit and down to the MDR.

Avril 

At least she used a hanky😂

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

We would have done the same.

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Thats why we never use the buffet because just because you havent seen it doesnt mean it doesnt happen and you never know if a person like that has mauled the bread rolls or any of the food before you go in there and seen many picking up food with fingers and not using the tongs.

Edited by majortom10

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Thats why we never use the buffet because just because you havent seen it doesnt mean it doesnt happen and you never know if a person like that has mauled the bread rolls or any of the food before you go in there and seen many picking up food with fingers and not using the tongs.

Wearing tongs in the hot tub?. I've seen that quite a lot on NCL ships ( no snobbishness intended).😁

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

But have you ever worked in a restaurant?  You have no idea what happens to the food between the kitchen and the MDR. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

Thanking a chance with your health is completely your choice.

I've waited a long time before responding to this, because it is such a fatuous argument. 

You are basically saying that anyone eating in the buffet is taking a chance with their health ! No different to driving to Southampton,  when you could have a fatal accident . No different to flying, or getting on a bicycle. 

If eating in a buffet is so dangerous,  why aren't hundreds of people on cruise ships getting sick every day.? 

Everything in life carries a risk. Eating in the buffet is way down in the risk scale.  

I resent the fact that you are implying that I do not care for me and my wife because we eat in the buffet. How dare you!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've waited a long time before responding to this, because it is such a fatuous argument. 

You are basically saying that anyone eating in the buffet is taking a chance with their health ! No different to driving to Southampton,  when you could have a fatal accident . No different to flying, or getting on a bicycle. 

If eating in a buffet is so dangerous,  why aren't hundreds of people on cruise ships getting sick every day.? 

Everything in life carry a risk. Eating in the buffet is way down in the risk scale.  

Not forgetting that there is less chance of the waiter spilling any food on you as he drops your plate on the table.:classic_huh:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not forgetting that there is less chance of the waiter spilling any food on you as he drops your plate on the table.:classic_huh:

Or dropping the food in the kitchen, and putting it back on the plate!

I always laugh when I see a waiter drop a piece of cutlery, and makes a great show of replacing it, only to place the dropped item on to the next table. 

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Everything in life carries a risk. Eating in the buffet is way down in the risk scale.  

I resent the fact that you are implying that I do not care for me and my wife because we eat in the buffet. How dare you!

You said " I take my chances in the buffet". Your choice of words.

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Same for us too but we do go to breakfast quite early. (That last bit in response to pushing /shoving)

Edited by P&O SUE