P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, my marina bay said:

Presto2 I'm glad it's not just me who's noticed the difference. On the roads around our estate there are tradesmen fitting double glazing, others fitting bathrooms and kitchens, drives being dug up, extensions being built etc etc in short business as usual. !! 

All perfectly possible within the law, provided social distancing followed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, my marina bay said:

Going back to the original post ie what's things like where you are, today tradesmen and traffic are out in force in the corner of the North West where we live. Until today I could walk on the road with the dog without fear of traffic to avoid the joggers etc. but it's as if someone has told everyone the lockdown is over and I missed the message. There are cars, tradesmen etc everywhere and the local supermarket carpark was pretty full when I walked past, did I miss something?

The initial wording of 'you can go to work if you cannot work from home' has now been accepted that it means its OK to work. 

For the last 3 weeks, suppliers closed, meaning tradesmen found it difficult to get supplies. This week, many builders merchants etc reopened, giving the green light for people to work. 

Most of these are self employed who will get no support until June, so they are looking at ways to work. 

Is it greed or is it necessity, I don't know, but it feels like they are putting their families at unnecessary risk to me. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Far fewer cars where I am, though enough to make you wonder who will blink first when you're out for a walk; who will be forced into the road to distance.

Got wind of the fact that a local was thinking of "reporting" my OH as his car disappears for a few hours each day. He is semi retired but currently printing stuff for the NHS who chose him as he has a little workshop and works alone so no risks. He also supports/shops for his 90 year old mother who is in isolation for 12 weeks. Apparently the "snitch" has received the message and is now slightly ashamed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

All perfectly possible within the law, provided social distancing followed.

That isn't happening around here. There are houses where they have half a roof on and haven't been finished for 4 weeks now

Don't see any builders etc other than those employed by the Council

I've noticed a slight increase in traffic and there seems to be more people out and about. I hope they're not begining to get a little complacent. We haven't been off our property for a month now. Our grandson even puts the bins out. He refuses to let Frank go out of the gate. When this over it will be hard to return to normal.

Avril 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I've noticed a slight increase in traffic and there seems to be more people out and about. I hope they're not begining to get a little complacent. We haven't been off our property for a month now. Our grandson even puts the bins out. He refuses to let Frank go out of the gate. When this over it will be hard to return to normal.

Avril 

I haven't noticed any build up of traffic where we live but its always quiet at the best of times .

What  I have noticed though in the evening time if I go outside into the garden ,it's very quiet .

We live just under a mile and half from the motorway and under normal  times we get a very faint hum 

off the motorways traffic tyres .You had to really listen for it but now total silence.

• Like 1

Both the grandsons work at B&Q and their store is opening up on Thursday. Staff are equipped with face shields and gloves, and the tills have plastic screens. There are restrictions on what can be purchased and the floor is marked out in 2 metre lines. They have to know what they want and aren't allowed to wander around browsing. Strictly contactless payments only, no cash.  It's so surreal. 

Avril 

Isn't the dilemma that the lock down is somewhat draconian. For example - my window cleaner who comes once a month. I leave the cash on the step, and he picks it up. No different to the chap who mows  my  neighbour's lawn.  We are driving people into poverty, when there us no need to do so.

In the same way, people are being denied chemotherapy treatment, leading to additional deaths from cancer,  but, as they are not CV19 related, they don't  get reported.

I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of CV19, but there is an increasing number of deaths that could be averted, but are ignored due to the CV19 outbreak.

And, just to be clear, I have every sympathy with everyone suffering at this time,  but when my wife gets a phone call from her consultant to ask how she feels,  whereas she should have a blood test and a scan, you can imagine why I am somewhat concerned about the lack of risk assessment in the current crisis. For every CV19 death, there is another death that could be averted. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Both the grandsons work at B&Q and their store is opening up on Thursday. Staff are equipped with face shields and gloves, and the tills have plastic screens. There are restrictions on what can be purchased and the floor is marked out in 2 metre lines. They have to know what they want and aren't allowed to wander around browsing. Strictly contactless payments only, no cash.  It's so surreal. 

Avril 

Avril, apart from the face guards that’s what my little local Spar is like with the lines on the floor. If you stop to try and find something (I was looking for my mum’s magazine!) people start backing up behind you! I’ve come out a couple of times without everything I wanted because you can’t double back!

Our local B&Q has just opened, it’s a big one and apparently the queue was round the block. We need tiles for our new kitchen but when my husband looked at the website there was a queue of an hour just to view it!! Needless to say he didn’t bother!

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Isn't the dilemma that the lock down is somewhat draconian. For example - my window cleaner who comes once a month. I leave the cash on the step, and he picks it up. No different to the chap who mows  my  neighbour's lawn.  We are driving people into poverty, when there us no need to do so.

In the same way, people are being denied chemotherapy treatment, leading to additional deaths from cancer,  but, as they are not CV19 related, they don't  get reported.

I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of CV19, but there is an increasing number of deaths that could be averted, but are ignored due to the CV19 outbreak.

And, just to be clear, I have every sympathy with everyone suffering at this time,  but when my wife gets a phone call from her consultant to ask how she feels,  whereas she should have a blood test and a scan, you can imagine why I am somewhat concerned about the lack of risk assessment in the current crisis. For every CV19 death, there is another death that could be averted. 

I’m so sorry and annoyed for anyone needing cancer treatment. I’m stunned that they’ve stopped many cancer treatments, so awful for them and their families.

My mum had an operation to remove stomach cancer at St Thomas’s in London nearly two years ago. Because they found it early they got it all but I dread to think what would have happened if it had been left for months. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m so sorry and annoyed for anyone needing cancer treatment. I’m stunned that they’ve stopped many cancer treatments, so awful for them and their families.

My mum had an operation to remove stomach cancer at St Thomas’s in London nearly two years ago. Because they found it early they got it all but I dread to think what would have happened if it had been left for months. 

It is a nightmare. 

Michelle still managed to get her 3 monthly implant this month, which is effectively keeping her alive, but she volunteers for the Macmillan website and lots of her friends have had their treatment stopped, full stop and have been told that if they get ill, they won't be treated. 

Some of them are halfway through chemo.. 

Our local hospital is effectively a Covid hospital now, so all Michelle's future scans and appointments have been cancelled until further notice. 

There are so many knock on effects from this horrible virus... 

Andy 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our local hospital is effectively a Covid hospital now, so all Michelle's future scans and appointments have been cancelled until further notice. 

There are so many knock on effects from this horrible virus... 

A worrying time for us all Andy. Months ago they were talking possible heart by pass and cardio implants and various

scans, now nothing but I do understand why . To be honest I do not think I would want to go anywhere near a hospital

at the moment ,scary times. I hope everyone  manages to get through this without the need for medical care .

Fingers crossed that the trials on the vaccine that start tomorrow go in the right direction ,early days but we can hope

and pray that some good comes out of it.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

A worrying time for us all Andy. Months ago they were talking possible heart by pass and cardio implants and various

scans, now nothing but I do understand why . To be honest I do not think I would want to go anywhere near a hospital

at the moment ,scary times. I hope everyone  manages to get through this without the need for medical care .

Fingers crossed that the trials on the vaccine that start tomorrow go in the right direction ,early days but we can hope

and pray that some good comes out of it.

Keep safe Kalos.. 

I sincerely hope you get the treatment you need. 

I get your point about keeping away from hospitals at the minute. 

The only time Michelle has been out in the last 6 weeks or more is to the doctors for her implant. She was having full on panic attacks even though the surgery was effectively closed... 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

I totally agree and hope your wife is okay.

My 3 month check up after heart stent fitted was cancelled but It was me who rang to see if I had to come in and told no with no follow up arranged.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Keep safe Kalos.. 

The only time Michelle has been out in the last 6 weeks or more is to the doctors for her implant. She was having full on panic attacks even though the surgery was effectively closed... 

Andy 

Sending Michelle and you our very best wishes Andy.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Keep safe Kalos.. 

Andy 

The longer this lock-down goes on the more worrying these issues become. Pauline takes warfarin and has routine tests to ensure her INR is within range, I was assuming she would probably be advised to keep on the same dose, and only contact them if she had any problems, but when I rang I was informed this is essential medication and the clinic remains open, but as most others have closed the waiting area has had chairs removed to ensure adequate social distancing.

I hope they revisit this soon and try to ensure all other illnesses are given the same sort of urgency.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The longer this lock-down goes on the more worrying these issues become. Pauline takes warfarin and has routine tests to ensure her INR is within range, I was assuming she would probably be advised to keep on the same dose, and only contact them if she had any problems, but when I rang I was informed this is essential medication and the clinic remains open, but as most others have closed the waiting area has had chairs removed to ensure adequate social distancing.

I hope they revisit this soon and try to ensure all other illnesses are given the same sort of uegency.

I agree.

Paulines late mam was on warfarin and needed her bloods checking every couple of weeks.

If I want a doctor's appointment I have to ring first and if they deem it important they let you in a side door.

I rarely went to the doctor's surgery before because of everyone coughing and sneezing in the waiting room so hopefully I will not need to go anytime soon.

• Like 1

Talking of overdoing it .Yesterday Mrs Kalos decided to cut the lawn and I walked up to the lawnmower

whilst she was pottering about I made out I was going to cut the lawn .

The look of horror on her face and told in no uncertain terms to get away from it.

Where would we be without our other halves that look out for us ? 

(I feel so sorry for those living on their own.)

Never the less a big thank you to them for being there for us . We must be a big worry to them at times .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I totally agree and hope your wife is okay.

My 3 month check up after heart stent fitted was cancelled but It was me who rang to see if I had to come in and told no with no follow up arranged.

Thanks Graham. Fortunately her tests are precautionary,  but it is still a concern. 

Hope you continue to recover. Stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My husband is on immunosuppressant medication for his illness and he had a letter from the hospital telling him firstly that he is in the most vulnerable category therefore can't go out.  He has to have fortnightly blood tests and the letter informed him that they can arrange for a phlebotomist to come to the house to take blood rather than him having to go to the local surgery or Community Hospital.  We were very impressed by that and it's being arranged. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, annieuk said:

My husband is on immunosuppressant medication for his illness and he had a letter from the hospital telling him firstly that he is in the most vulnerable category therefore can't go out.  He has to have fortnightly blood tests and the letter informed him that they can arrange for a phlebotomist to come to the house to take blood rather than him having to go to the local surgery or Community Hospital.  We were very impressed by that and it's being arranged. 

That's excellent news. 

Keep safe both of you. 

Andy 

• Like 2