P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Thank you, I’m improving by the day but still lacking a bit of energy.

Im such a shy, quiet, retiring little soul that no one even noticed that I was away 🤒

I had noticed. There are a few people who haven't posted recently including Harry and Molecrochip.Do hope they are ok

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear you have been poorly Eglesbrech and hope you are better now.

Eating lots of vegetables and regularly drinking a glass of water should help against codeine constipation.

Thanks Graham, improving by the day now.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Sorry to hear you've been poorly. Hope you're better now.

Thank you, that’s kind of you. Had a pretty bad couple of weeks but but coming out the other end now. The medication was making me almost as sick as the issue but was necessary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Jean I’ve been poorly too so just now catching up on posts and reading about your accident. You don’t do things by half’s do you. I’m so glad you are starting on the mend.

Start eating the prunes and rhubarb etc to counteract the codeine, you don’t want to end up impacted as the cure for that is an eye watering prospect.

Just let your husband pamper you for a while.

Hi eglesbrech, I'm sorry to hear you have been ill too.

I am now home.  Must confess to feeling really rough last evening, so gave up and went to bed at 9pm.  Didn't know another thing until 5 am.  No sleep or food in the hospital.  You fall asleep and then half an hour later someone wants a bedpan or a commode!!  Anyway, managed to get up and dress myself this morning.  As you are not allowed to bend, putting the knickers on is quite interesting!  LOL  Still feel shaky but a huge bunch of flowers from the Harbour Office at 10 am, has certainly brightened my day.

Amazingly, a lady was brought in to our ward the night before last.  After we all had made her welcome, there was some chat and it turned out she joined BUA in 1970 (same as me), that became British Caledonian, and then she left, but rejoined Laker Airways.  What an amazing coincidence.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am now home.  Must confess to feeling really rough last evening, so gave up and went to bed at 9pm.  Didn't know another thing until 5 am.  No sleep or food in the hospital.  You fall asleep and then half an hour later someone wants a bedpan or a commode!!  Anyway, managed to get up and dress myself this morning.  As you are not allowed to bend, putting the knickers on is quite interesting!  LOL  Still feel shaky but a huge bunch of flowers from the Harbour Office at 10 am, has certainly brightened my day.

Amazingly, a lady was brought in to our ward the night before last.  After we all had made her welcome, there was some chat and it turned out she joined BUA in 1970 (same as me), that became British Caledonian, and then she left, but rejoined Laker Airways.  What an amazing coincidence.

Yes hospital is never fun and sleep is always an issue in an open ward. You will just feel better for being at home with decent sleep and edible food.

Thats amazing that you are managing to do so much so quickly. Do you have physio exercises to do yet or will that come later? You perhaps need a occ health assessment for doing things, a grabber might help with getting clothes on and a seat raiser and hand rails for the loo would also assist. If you don’t have them yet then ask.

That’s a bit of serendipity re the other lady, a good conversation can really pass time.

You’ll miss the Harbour (and they clearly miss you), the views in your pictures look lovely.

• Like 1

Jean - I went through the same thing a year ago, and ended up with the dreaded e***a.  Later discovered prune juice, and would normally take Dulcolax if needed (not usually  for me).  Just stay near a loo!

My best exercise for getting the strength back was lying on the bed and raising the legs straight up and down, 20 times each if you can with the broken one.  (I had broken the top of the femur, and kept the hip joint but with loads of metal in;  I stay away from magnets now).    I needed to get the thigh muscles working again, to get up and down from a chair etc. easily, and did it religiously twice a day for four weeks, as the Physio wanted to see me again.  He was amazed to see me get up easily from a chair when I returned.  Maybe you have had a different op., so this might not be what you need.  You quickly graduate from a frame to two sticks, one stick, and then no stick, hooray!  You are obviously a lot younger than me, so should be back to normal quickly.  Good luck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes hospital is never fun and sleep is always an issue in an open ward. You will just feel better for being at home with decent sleep and edible food.

Thats amazing that you are managing to do so much so quickly. Do you have physio exercises to do yet or will that come later? You perhaps need a occ health assessment for doing things, a grabber might help with getting clothes on and a seat raiser and hand rails for the loo would also assist. If you don’t have them yet then ask.

That’s a bit of serendipity re the other lady, a good conversation can really pass time.

You’ll miss the Harbour (and they clearly miss you), the views in your pictures look lovely.

Egles, they had me out of bed on a walker the day after the op.  They have given me a grabber and very useful it is too.    OK on the loo raiser as well.  It was all very organised.  Just difficult knowing what to do.  We don't have a proper chair in the house, but hubby has managed to use a dining room one with arms and a big cushion.  I get up and walk on crutches every 2 hours.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Jean - I went through the same thing a year ago, and ended up with the dreaded e***a.  Later discovered prune juice, and would normally take Dulcolax if needed (not usually  for me).  Just stay near a loo!

My best exercise for getting the strength back was lying on the bed and raising the legs straight up and down, 20 times each if you can with the broken one.  (I had broken the top of the femur, and kept the hip joint but with loads of metal in;  I stay away from magnets now).    I needed to get the thigh muscles working again, to get up and down from a chair etc. easily, and did it religiously twice a day for four weeks, as the Physio wanted to see me again.  He was amazed to see me get up easily from a chair when I returned.  Maybe you have had a different op., so this might not be what you need.  You quickly graduate from a frame to two sticks, one stick, and then no stick, hooray!  You are obviously a lot younger than me, so should be back to normal quickly.  Good luck.

Hi Lincslady.  I have had a total hip replacement, sounds like you had a partial.  I also broke the neck of the femur.  I am 74 and fit with no underlying morbities.  So they recommended total replacement as it will last longer.  Not sure how old you are?   The crutches are OK.  Can go up and downstairs with them OK.  I have to as the loo is up there.  Also have some exercises to do which I am doing twice a day.  Lifting bad leg up and down 10 times, swinging out to side 10 times and pushing out at the back 10 times.  Painful but doable.  What a bloody nightmare!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Egles, they had me out of bed on a walker the day after the op.  They have given me a grabber and very useful it is too.    OK on the loo raiser as well.  It was all very organised.  Just difficult knowing what to do.  We don't have a proper chair in the house, but hubby has managed to use a dining room one with arms and a big cushion.  I get up and walk on crutches every 2 hours.

That’s great, onwards and upwards.

If the dining room chair works great but your local council should be able to lend you an appropriate chair from their equipment store (or at least in normal times they do that).

• Like 1

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

That’s great, onwards and upwards.

If the dining room chair works great but your local council should be able to lend you an appropriate chair from their equipment store (or at least in normal times they do that).

That's interesting,  might ask.

33 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Welcome home Jean. You must feel so much better being in your own surroundings. Do take Eglesbrech's advice about prune juice et al and as for the knickers - don't bother with them if it's too much faffing! Take care of yourself.  Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Both - so sorry you have both been poorly. I haven't read this thread until today...

Hope you're both better soon - but blimey Jean, reading about your fall, you don't do things by halves, do you.

Do take care. xx

Edited by Scriv
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thank you, that’s kind of you. Had a pretty bad couple of weeks but but coming out the other end now. The medication was making me almost as sick as the issue but was necessary. 

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Eglesbrech. I hope you're on the road to recovery now. Look after yourself. Best wishes. Jane.x

Just now, Beckett said:

Sorry to hear you've been poorly Eglesbrech. I hope you're on the road to recovery now. Look after yourself. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you. I felt poorly but didn’t know I was quite so ill until I felt hot, checked my temp and realised I was well into pyrexia! I tried with another thermometer as I thought the first one had to be wrong, it wasn’t.

All I can say is that the NHS can move fast when it’s required, for which I am grateful.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Scriv said:

Hi Both - so sorry you have both been poorly. I haven't read this thread until today...

Hope you're both better soon - but blimey Jean, reading about your fall, you don't do things by halves, do you.

Do take care. xx

Thank you.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Glad to hear that you are home and improving.Lovely to have the flowers.It shows they certainly think a lot of you.Take Care

I hope all you poorly ladies make a quick and speedy recovery :classic_love:

animated-get-well-soon-image-0026.gif.44093cfd5a4b6fbc72423045d06b4278.gif

Take are & be safe :classic_smile:

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

I hope all you poorly ladies make a quick and speedy recovery :classic_love:

animated-get-well-soon-image-0026.gif.44093cfd5a4b6fbc72423045d06b4278.gif

Take are & be safe :classic_smile:

Thank you Kalos, I love the little bears.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, Adawn47 said:

I have never dyed my hair, and don't intend to start now. Grow old  gracefully(or disgracefully, depending on your sense of adventure and stamina😁)

Avril

I started having grey hairs in my twenties (like my dad) so that’s why I started doing mine!

When I was little I always told people my dad wasn’t grey but ‘silver’ 😊