PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

17 hours ago, memoak said:

Spooky is right same cruises North on August 20 and South on the 27. This is one of our favorite B2B trips 

Excellent - ours too!  Ill look forward to comparing notes with you.  Will  start lurking around Roll Calls in a month or two.  Haven’t heard back from kitty-sitter but am hoping it’s far enough distant to be first on her calendar.

On a separate note - I’ve been thinking of those early 1970’s tunes as well, ever since I got the notice about my High School 50 year class reunion.  Seriously?  Who are those old people I’m seeing in the photos?  Music was good though…

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Just in case anyone was curious, Hufflepug decided agianst punishing us this time. She has been super snuggly and loving. Maybe she decided that punishing me doesn't stop me from leaving again? I don't know, but she and Gryffy are in my lap right now, as I sit on the recliner, acting as my "desk."

Love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Excellent - ours too!  Ill look forward to comparing notes with you.  Will  start lurking around Roll Calls in a month or two.  Haven’t heard back from kitty-sitter but am hoping it’s far enough distant to be first on her calendar.

On a separate note - I’ve been thinking of those early 1970’s tunes as well, ever since I got the notice about my High School 50 year class reunion.  Seriously?  Who are those old people I’m seeing in the photos?  Music was good though…

I graduated in 1968 - loved the 60's - at least the part I remember

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Love it!

Look up the Kitty Cat cam! It is a little sad right now but they manage to knock the stuffing out of each other laying down  like any other Kitten! Purpose is to get them adopted! This litter Mom got distemper so they got CH! They still have fun wish I was there would take one or maybe two!

Edited by Reader0108598

Making TACOS for dinner tonight. YES!!!  Went down to Safeway to buy some ground beef. There was a guy in the parking lot with someone I assumed must be his wife. Not sure... He had a large sign on a stand saying, "Lost my jog. I have 3 kids. Please help!" He had an amplifier and was playing loud, electric accordion to a a backup machine. Okay... if the woman is his wife where are the kids?

I don't know how it is where you live but here in my town there are signs literally all over town saying "NOW HIRING! Businesses are begging for people to work for them. I heard one place - can't remember but maybe it was Walmart? - was offering a "hiring bonus". Yep. Come to work for us and we will not only give you a decent wage but give you a cash bonus for hiring on.  So... I have to wonder... Why is this guy playing amplified accordion music and asking for help because he "lost his job"??? These days I don't think employers are even doing any kind of background check. Got a list of 8 or 9 felonies on your record? Welcome aboard!

When I was young we were desperate for work. Any work. I took jobs I absolutely hated because I needed to work. Everybody needed to work. I had kids and couldn't afford not to work. Now it seems we pay people to stay home and either do nothing or else supplement their free income by panhandling at parking lot exits or maybe playing amplified accordion music in the Safeway parking lot. Heck, there was a BIG sign not 45 feet from the guy asking for people to please apply for work.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Making TACOS for dinner tonight. YES!!!  Went down to Safeway to buy some ground beef. There was a guy in the parking lot with someone I assumed must be his wife. Not sure... He had a large sign on a stand saying, "Lost my jog. I have 3 kids. Please help!" He had an amplifier and was playing loud, electric accordion to a a backup machine. Okay... if the woman is his wife where are the kids?

I don't know how it is where you live but here in my town there are signs literally all over town saying "NOW HIRING! Businesses are begging for people to work for them. I heard one place - can't remember but maybe it was Walmart? - was offering a "hiring bonus". Yep. Come to work for us and we will not only give you a decent wage but give you a cash bonus for hiring on.  So... I have to wonder... Why is this guy playing amplified accordion music and asking for help because he "lost his job"??? These days I don't think employers are even doing any kind of background check. Got a list of 8 or 9 felonies on your record? Welcome aboard!

When I was young we were desperate for work. Any work. I took jobs I absolutely hated because I needed to work. Everybody needed to work. I had kids and couldn't afford not to work. Now it seems we pay people to stay home and either do nothing or else supplement their free income by panhandling at parking lot exits or maybe playing amplified accordion music in the Safeway parking lot. Heck, there was a BIG sign not 45 feet from the guy asking for people to please apply for work.

Big scam we have it here also! I no longer donate to anything! We have a homeless shelter near our stop & shop gave this girl a few bucks a couple of years ago said she was hungry. We stopped at the liquor store for wine guess who was there ! Never agaIn! I am far from rich! I knew better!

Edited by Reader0108598

6 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

I graduated in 1971 and I'm going to my 50th Reunion next week!  Yikes!!!  How did this happen? 😳🤔😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

I graduated in 1971 and I'm going to my 50th Reunion next week!  Yikes!!!  How did this happen? 😳🤔😉

Have fun! I was too smart for school! No prom no runions just a GED when I smatened up! I did keep a state job for 24 years and worked my way up! you better believe I made sure my son stayed in school ! 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

When I was young, my wife and I could buy a house. 3 bedroom for $29,000. Much tougher now to even find a place to rent. For every person we see who is scamming the system there are many more who are genuinely in dire straights. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, suzyed said:

I graduated high school in 1959. Just got a postcard that the class of 59 is celebrating our 80th birthday with a dinner on Sept. 11. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend as we are going on an Alaskan cruise then. They have been having class reunions every few years. I went to #20 and #25. I think the last one was #60. Surprisingly, out of a class of over 500 I was told 400 invitations were sent out for this dinner.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, memoak said:

I graduated in 1968 - loved the 60's - at least the part I remember

And as our class used to say, '69 Rah!

Yeah, I know.......... it WAS the year we graduated.

P.S. My husband and I had a great time at my 50th! The Class Reunion

Committee did a fantastic job. It was a really good turnout, people were

friendly, relaxed and chatting it up. I even ran into a classmate who now actually

lives across the bay from me. At least we enjoyed before Covid hit.

• Haha 1

Our 50th is being postponed to next year. I remember when we had our 10th reunion. I was listed among the "missing" even though I lived in the same town and was in the phone book. Only the "best and the brightest" organize these things I guess. 🤪

I did find out about the reunion and attended even though I had only gone to that school for my senior year. It was interesting to see that a guy who used to sell drugs was, at that time, working for the sheriff's department. I "may" go to the 50th but didn't really know many folks in that school and, of course, some of those I did know have died over the years. There are really only a very few I'd be interested in seeing. One year at a school doesn't really make for lasting relationships.

• Like 1

My whole school career was in the same town.  I went to the 10th but didn't really enjoy it.  Next was the 20th.  I didn't go (I do live out of state).  When the 40th came I went and had a blast.  50th was in the fall of 2019 .  Had a great time.  Even won an instant lottery ticket which turned out to be a $400 winner 🙂  DH went to his 20th but isn't interested in going to others.  He still wears (to mow the lawn) the t-shirt he got that says he survived his 20th reunion!

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Thrak said:

"Now Hiring" signs are everywhere here in Florida too.  We just got the most amazing "convenience store" with 125 pumps called Buc-ees.  They are starting people at $17-19/hour.  That's the bottom rung of workers. 
But even so...most restaurants are short staffed....they have to cut back the days they are open because they don't have enough servers/cooks etc.

I don't know what the answer is...but somethings gotta give.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our 50th is being postponed to next year. I remember when we had our 10th reunion. I was listed among the "missing" even though I lived in the same town and was in the phone book. Only the "best and the brightest" organize these things I guess. 🤪

I did find out about the reunion and attended even though I had only gone to that school for my senior year. It was interesting to see that a guy who used to sell drugs was, at that time, working for the sheriff's department. I "may" go to the 50th but didn't really know many folks in that school and, of course, some of those I did know have died over the years. There are really only a very few I'd be interested in seeing. One year at a school doesn't really make for lasting relationships.

We had 800 in my graduating class.  I wasn't one of the popular kids or one of the jocks...but had my own group of friends.  There have been too many deaths....illness, drugs, motorcycle accidents, etc.  My best friends were in the year after me, so none will be at the reunion.  But for the last 5 years one of my classmates has been running a "Any year reunion" in Florida, he calls it "Points South" since so many of us moved from NY to Florida and then another guy a few years younger is running a "Any year reunion" at the beach in the town we grew up in....so we have been able to re-connect and actually forge new friendships  with classmates!  Fun!

• Like 2

12:30 PM I give up. I need to go to bed and I need to open the windows. I refuse to run the dang AC at night. My dad ran the AC day and night. He kept his heavy duty security screen door locked. He kept security screens in place over his windows. He was afraid of everything and everyone. What a terrible way to have lived. I can't remember a time when we kept the windows closed at night. Sadly, it's still 91°. I hate to open p at this temp but, like I said, it's time for me to hit the hay. Hopefully it will start to cool off soon. In theory, it will get down to 75° at some point tonight. (I hope that's true.) I think Arizona is supposed to get down to something like 82° tonight. I wonder if folks there open up or run the AC...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

12:30 PM I give up. I need to go to bed and I need to open the windows. I refuse to run the dang AC at night. My dad ran the AC day and night. He kept his heavy duty security screen door locked. He kept security screens in place over his windows. He was afraid of everything and everyone. What a terrible way to have lived. I can't remember a time when we kept the windows closed at night. Sadly, it's still 91°. I hate to open p at this temp but, like I said, it's time for me to hit the hay. Hopefully it will start to cool off soon. In theory, it will get down to 75° at some point tonight. (I hope that's true.) I think Arizona is supposed to get down to something like 82° tonight. I wonder if folks there open up or run the AC...

I know what you mean. We had the bedroom slider open, but there is a dog somewhere that is constantly barking. Don't know how he does it.

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

"Now Hiring" signs are everywhere here in Florida too.  We just got the most amazing "convenience store" with 125 pumps called Buc-ees.  They are starting people at $17-19/hour.  That's the bottom rung of workers. 
But even so...most restaurants are short staffed....they have to cut back the days they are open because they don't have enough servers/cooks etc.

I don't know what the answer is...but somethings gotta give.

Just print more money.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Thrak said:

You might be surprised for your 50th. At least for mine, the attendees were relaxed and not into "their accomplishments" and feeling the need to "one up" the other classmates.

The head of the Reunion Committee began 5 years ahead to begin the planning and doing very detailed searches for each and every class member. She was asked by other classes to help them with their own planning and searches. BTW- she would not have been considered one of the "best and brightest". However, I understand what you are saying about having been there only one year. Maybe go to the reunion where you spent more time? We had a few people doing that as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billco said:

I know what you mean. We had the bedroom slider open, but there is a dog somewhere that is constantly barking. Don't know how he does it.

I don't understand people who just let their dogs bark and bark and bark. I have a number of terms for those folks but can't use any of them here.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:57 AM, LoriPhil said:

Wow!  Phil just said he’d be up for a cruise late next summer so we booked Sapphire for B2B our of Vancouver Aug 20 2022.  We have cruised both Sapphire and the Grand in the past, and decided the Sapphire might have a slight edge for Alaska cruising (since the Coral isn’t in Alaska next year… sigh).  Hopefully B2B AND Vancouver will be options then.  Would love to fly in 2 days early but if PRC tests are still required 3 days prior, not sure how that might work.  Oh well, we’re jazzed!  I’m still wondering if I should move it earlier in August, but am trying to be considerate to new kitty-sitter and avoiding travel during the hottest part of the summer since the house isn’t air conditioned. Oh it feels lovely to have a cruise on the books!  Fingers crossed. 

Who knows what might be required by this cruise as we’re on the same and hoping to fly in a few days earlier. If a PCR test is required 3 days prior, this might change our plans.

On 7/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, LoriPhil said:

Memoak, we ARE aligned!  I think your Hawaii cruise to break in the kitty sitter sounds way more fun than our few days in New Mexico, but any time away is good.  Are you doing the Aug 20/27 B2B on the Sapphire (now that would be spooky), or a different B2B?  Oh -  I better send a text to our kitty sitter to block out the dates!  

Hopefully will see you on the same Alaska cruise.

Puppy sitters booked in and leave in for work .... well on the work leave calendar and will apply next month.

Edited by Loki S

Off to my niece's house to celebrate her "Half Hundred" birthday party. Haven't been to her new house in Paradise. The old one burned in the Camp Fire (along with everything she owned). They're doing a party wit lots of pulled pork and stuff. Her husband is an excellent BBQ cook and his pulled pork is a joy. Hard to believe she's 50... That must mean that I'm about... GAH!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1