Is it smart to buy a cruise now?

Valentina84

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sorry, I guess I don't see the acronym to which you're referring in a post above but appreciate the sentiment regarding safe travels and wish the same for you.  Thank you!

Yeah, I had no idea what that acronym meant either.  But, to answer the OP's question, I did actually put a deposit on a cruise for next year.  I am in the unfortunate position of having made final payment on a June cruise just before all this hit the fan.  Being the type that is suspicious of a "free lunch" I was surprised when the first FCC offer was announced.  I reasoned that thousands of cruisers with time-limited FCC burning a hole in their pockets, plus NCL trying to make up their losses, might cause a rise in future cruise pricing.  Co-existing at the same time was/is the very unusual "take all offers" even with an inside cabin perk.  We cruise pretty frequently so I quickly booked an inside cabin on a cruise I'd like to take in 2021 at a normal price to hedge my bets against them inflating prices.  It's a small gamble and only time will tell if it was a mistake.  I'll either have gotten a better deal than normal or I'll have thrown a small amount of good money after bad if NCL goes bankrupt.  So I think the answer to the OP's question can depend on your circumstances.  If I had not already made final payment on our June cruise I would not have had any "skin in the game" already so I would not have booked anything at this time.

• Like 2

Are you serious?

Only an absolute fool would book a cruise right now. This crisis is going to worsen for months, and NCL is likely going bankrupt without a federal bailout. Your cruise is in September? A world where that cruise happens means the absolute best case scenarios for how this pandemic will unfold play out, or maybe things go better than best case scenarios. Given the Executive Branch's mind bogglingly incompetent, bungled, ego and politics focused response, I'd not bank on best case anything. 

Do not book a cruise right now, under any circumstances. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Are you serious?

Only an absolute fool would book a cruise right now. This crisis is going to worsen for months, and NCL is likely going bankrupt without a federal bailout. Your cruise is in September? A world where that cruise happens means the absolute best case scenarios for how this pandemic will unfold play out, or maybe things go better than best case scenarios. Given the Executive Branch's mind bogglingly incompetent, bungled, ego and politics focused response, I'd not bank on best case anything. 

Wow.  You sound like a joy to be around.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

Are you serious?

The president has already said the cruise lines WILL get a bailout. Just this afternoon/early evening as a matter of fact.

So I guess the "Executive Branch's mind bogglingly incompetent, bungled, ego and politics focused response" doesn't hold water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Once this epidemic is over cruise lines will probably have to discount cruises to fill the ship. 

This!  They  won't be able to give them away.  People will not be running to buy a ticket for such a close contact vacation.  

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

The president has already said the cruise lines WILL get a bailout. Just this afternoon/early evening as a matter of fact.

So I guess the "Executive Branch's mind bogglingly incompetent, bungled, ego and politics focused response" doesn't hold water.

A bailout of the cruise lines is not an indicator of the Executive Branch's competence. Things like availability of tests and critically needed medical supplies are - and this administration is failing miserably for that.

The president says lots of things WILL happen that of course never do, like how the US only had 15 cases of COVID19 that would "soon be down to zero" and how this would just "disappear like a miracle" and how anyone who needs a test can get a test, and they're beautiful and perfect just like the transcript (yes he actually said that). 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

A bailout of the cruise lines is not an indicator of the Executive Branch's competence. Things like availability of tests and critically needed medical supplies are - and this administration is failing miserably for that.

The president says lots of things WILL happen that of course never do, like how the US only had 15 cases of COVID19 that would "soon be down to zero" and how this would just "disappear like a miracle" and how anyone who needs a test can get a test, and they're beautiful and perfect just like the transcript (yes he actually said that). 

And of all sudden this turned into a political thread.  Sad.  I'm sure you are a big CNN watcher.  

Edited by JimR24
Added a note
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, JimR24 said:

And of all sudden this turned into a political thread.  Sad.  I'm sure you are a big CNN watcher.  

The national crisis, which so directly impacts the cruise industry we're all obviously interested in, is directly linked to people who sit in their positions of responsibility as a result of politics.

As to my preferred cable news channel, I'm actually more of newspaper guy. 

• Like 1

Actions speak louder than words.  I would wait to see if NCL keeps their word & provide requested refunds to cancel cruise customers.  Too much uncertainty at play now to decide if it’s worth giving any more $$$ to NCL.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Go back to post #30, where you said people would be an absolute fool. Then mentioned about NCL and bailout.

So being non political , what I said was the president has said a bailout was coming. Why don't you just let it play out instead of "bashing" what is going on.

I didn't go on with all the rhetoric.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Are you serious?

sorry, we booked another today... And I will be happy to go on as soon as they are open for booking. Empty or 1/2 full to full cabins will not make any difference to me... just my lifestyle

• Like 2

It will depend on what you mean by "smart". Buying anything at the moment is very risky. Moreover, if you plan on saving money, be aware that in case of cancelation you will not be able to retrieve your money. In case of move of the date and period of travel, you wont be able to rebook or get a full refund. Planning something in the upcomming months is super risky. Maybe purchasing the cruise in September/October may sound better but I would give any guaranties on it either. The situation changes almost every minute 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

It will depend on what you mean by "smart". Buying anything at the moment is very risky. Moreover, if you plan on saving money, be aware that in case of cancelation you will not be able to retrieve your money. In case of move of the date and period of travel, you wont be able to rebook or get a full refund. Planning something in the upcomming months is super risky. Maybe purchasing the cruise in September/October may sound better but I would give any guaranties on it either. The situation changes almost every minute 

I don't think anyone is cruising  until at least June.  Heck I think Disney has cancelled all of their property bookings through June. I know it's an ever changing landscape however to have a major corporation like that cancelling is pretty telling.

I just can't see tying up 💰💰💰 to  sit in someone else's pocket.

• Like 2

Anyone booking any cruise right now is foolish and the equivalent of catching a falling knife. The amount of false optimism among some people is astounding. Why would anyone invest a new dime in cruising where the return on your investment could be zero in a matter of weeks or months? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Anyone booking any cruise right now is foolish and the equivalent of catching a falling knife. The amount of false optimism among some people is astounding. Why would anyone invest a new dime in cruising where the return on your investment could be zero in a matter of weeks or months? 

hear hear, can't believe is not clear to some people. We will go on a cruise again, in fact we have  cruise booked in October that was booked over a year ago however we are not holding our breath. We will definitely not book any more cruises right now. We want to see how things are going to turn out. We are currently waiting for our April 19 cruise to be canceled and it will be canceled since is on the Bliss out of New York, we are just waiting for them to cancel so we can get a refund as opposed to FCC.

8 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Why don't you just let it play out instead of "bashing" what is going on.

Because I'm an informed citizen that doesn't like seeing needless human suffering and economic destruction because of incompetent leadership? 

As to the bailout happening because the head of the executive branch said it would, I'm glad you trust something will happen because a pathological liar says it will happen. He said he'd release his tax returns, too. 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, Liljo22 said:

Cruise prices have not changed since the shutdown.  I would wait until later to see if prices come down.  

Lowering prices will not increase demand.  I would not expect to see any changes in pricing until the gov't gives the cruise industry the OK to sail again.  The hospitality industry learned this the hard way in 2001.  Took almost a decade to recover rates after 9/11.

5 hours ago, gmasters said:

sorry, we booked another today... And I will be happy to go on as soon as they are open for booking. Empty or 1/2 full to full cabins will not make any difference to me... just my lifestyle

FDR appreciates the loan! 

15 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Because I'm an informed citizen that doesn't like seeing needless human suffering and economic destruction because of incompetent leadership? 

As to the bailout happening because the head of the executive branch said it would, I'm glad you trust something will happen because a pathological liar says it will happen. He said he'd release his tax returns, too. 

Curious your opinion on how the "leadership"in Florida handled rhe spring break situation. 

They were certainly in it for the 💰💰 , with total lack of regard to Covid-19. They were about a week behind most states.