OV or interior?

crusinpsychRN

OV for sure. Besides the window, on non-fantasy class ships the OV’s are considerably larger than the IS (220sq ft vs 185sq ft, which adds a seating area with a sofa). 

But even without the extra space, I consider the OV worth it. I can’t stand inside cabins. I’ve only done it twice (one when I was spring break aged, and another time for a quick 3 night weekend cruise). Both times I wanted to rip my hair off. 

If it were a choice between an OV and an interior, I would only choose OV if the prices were the same AND if I were someone who required a lot of light.  Personally, I prefer a dark cabin for sleeping and I just go on deck to get my sun. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

OceanView over Interior when po$$ible

but if money is tight, Interiors are great for sleep-time!

47 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

OceanView over Interior when po$$ible

but if money is tight, Interiors are great for sleep-time!

Our first choice is an OV. Have done a couple of balcony’s and one interior. The interior was a freebie, and one balcony was on our wedding cruise and one on a cruise to Alaska.

• Like 1

There is no wrong or right answer here, it’s up to personal preference. Personally we almost always cruise in a balcony cabin because both my wife and I enjoy hanging out on the balcony, especially at night. However, I can also completely understand people who prefer interiors because they don’t spend too much time in their cabin. But to answer the original question, I would choose an OV cabin over an interior cabin every time. 

• Like 1

I would try and find a inside with portholes. Interior price but I can see out, though more walking. All the portholdes are far forward.

Lol spell check keeps changing portholes to potholes

Edited by firefly333
  • Haha 2

We used to look at Balconies and such when we cruise.  Once we realized we were really only ever in there to shower, change, or sleep… we tried an inside cabin.   Now we are able to cruise more often because we pay less for each cruise.  Bonus for us is the total darkness when trying to sleep.  We also found that having the TV on tuned to the ship's camera can make you feel less claustrophobic, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, Tapi said:

OV for sure. Besides the window, on non-fantasy class ships the OV’s are considerably larger than the IS (220sq ft vs 185sq ft, which adds a seating area with a sofa). 

But even without the extra space, I consider the OV worth it. I can’t stand inside cabins. I’ve only done it twice (one when I was spring break aged, and another time for a quick 3 night weekend cruise). Both times I wanted to rip my hair off. 

I now the feeling. Just wanted to take a sledgehammer to the wall to make a window!

• Haha 1

We have done them all but found interior are just fine.  Reasonable price and we spend so little time in the room.  If we are doing Alaska or Panama then balcony but 7 day on Fascination for $650 for the 2 of us then interior it is.  

• Like 1

I've done OV, balcony and a suite ONCE on an upgrade but Im not a once you go balcony you can't go back person, my budget at the time decides. I usually do OV. I just did my first interior ever in January on a last minute cruise for my daughters birthday. I was pleasantly surprised and I liked it just fine. It was only myself and my 10yr old. I would do it again. That said:

I DID miss having a window and would only do it again if it was, as it was in this case, 1) hundreds of dollars cheaper and was 2) a maximum of 5 days 3) and no more than 2 people. Also I would ONLY do it on Carnival as they have large interior staterooms and large rooms comparatively anyway. Our room was basically the same size as an OV just without the window.

We always book portholes, 4J's or 4K's (all are interior rooms with windows). Our cruise this month was cancelled and we were forced to rebook in an OV because our favorites always sell out fast. The $918 of OBC will make up for it, though. :) 

• Like 1

We are OV bookers, sometimes even obstructed view. I think fear of no window to the outside world scares us. We booked a balcony for Alaska, didn't think it was worth the extra $$. There was a time we booked portholes on a regular basis. One trip the noise was so awful, we have never done it again.

With so many issues cruise ships have had with "THE VIRUS". I couldn't imagine an inside cabin for some of these quarantined ships or ships that couldn't dock. 

Up until recently, we had always chosen a balcony cabin.  We recently did an 11 day cruise and decided to try an inside as the fare was quite a bit more than usual and we really wanted to be on the ship.  I was pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it.  Soon as we woke up in the morning, we put the tv on the deck cam channel.  This way we were able to check the weather and plan our day.  We were out on deck most of our time anyways, so spending on a balcony would have been a waste IMO.  Our next booked cruise, we decided on an inside again.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:26 PM, Joe817 said:

Growing out in the country, 350 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, I rarely got to see it. I like to see the water. It's a whole new world for me. So my vote is for OV at a minimum.  :classic_wink:

I grew up in Miami, around water all the time. Dad had a 55" yacht docked behind the house.  We'd go to Bimini frequently.  I'd usually forget my shoes and wear my brother's if I wore any at all. In Bimini my stepsister and I met 2 guys and we went diving. Held a party on the beach for the whole island. Such fun!