Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

How are you doing @rakkor ? Are you going to be able to go on Jane's birthday cruise ?

We've had more restrictions lifted here today, we still have to wear masks in public places but nightclubs can open again. I don't think that particular change will make much difference to us !

• 2 weeks later...

We are coming out of a very cold weather time in South East Texas. The last three night have been below freezing. I opened the door to the attic to allow the warm air to keep the pipes warm.

About 4 am Saturday morning, I was awakened with the sound water dripping. I discovered water coming over the inset in my bedroom ceiling. I dressed and went out and turned off the water. I had already placed a waterproof pad on the carpet where the drops were landing and put old bath towels I keep for an emergency on the pad.

In about 30 minutes the drips stopped, and I got a couple more hours sleep. I spent yesterday morning looking for an emergency plumber and found one and made a booking for the afternoon. The young man arrived and conducted several tests of the plumbing and finally determined that the water softener that I installed with my 'on-demand' hot water heater, had rusted and the galvanized pan that was supposed to contain a water leak, also had a leak.

That was actually good news, if there had been a broken pipe they would have to punch holes in the bedroom ceiling to be repaired later and that would be very expensive. The competent young man piped around the water softener and got the water going again in only two hours. 

It is amazing how we easily disregard how convenient running water is to daily life. It is sunny today, the forecast is for no more freezing nights between now and the end of February, so we can breath a sigh of relief and get on with life.

12 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

It is amazing how we easily disregard how convenient running water is to daily life.

Until you don’t have it! 

I remember going to visit visit an elderly uncle who refused to have running water brought into his house. We got around that by convincing him to have a lean-to built over the outside tap. We had less success with electricity and he died, not that many years ago, still without “the electric”.

Did anyone in the UK watch Susan Calman's Grand Day Out on Channel 5 on Friday while she was in Torquay? There was a Cunard ship right there in the background as she was talking to camera. I think it was the QV. The programme was filmed between April and August last year.

4 hours ago, Ray66 said:

Did anyone in the UK watch Susan Calman's Grand Day Out on Channel 5 on Friday while she was in Torquay? There was a Cunard ship right there in the background as she was talking to camera. I think it was the QV. The programme was filmed between April and August last year.

Ah, yes. Good catch.

I found that episode of Grand Day Out available to watch on the Channel 5 website. QM2 makes some brief cameo appearances during the scenes at Babbacombe Beach. QV makes some longer and more prominent appearances during the scenes along the Torquay promenade. And I think QV makes a few more brief appearances in the backgrounds of several other scenes including those of the Dartmouth Steam Railway at Paignton.

That all makes sense since QM2 spent a lot of time laid up off Babbacombe and QV spent a lot of time laid up in Torbay.

• Like 1

We finally made the plunge and are sailing for the first time in two years on Regent Seven Seas Explorer. Fabulous ship; food, service, suites, etc.

We left from Miami for a 10 day Caribbean cruise. If all goes well, we may join friends on the Queen Mary in March for 14 days, also Caribbean.

We have sailed to the Caribbean so many times, that I don’t think that we will even get off the ship. At this point, the ship is our destination.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I had my favourite sign of Spring on my drive to work this morning, lots of lambs, they're so cute when they're so small.

Yes --  watching them do their little straight-legged vertical jumps is amazing --- but isn't the first week in February a bit early for them?

11 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes --  watching them do their little straight-legged vertical jumps is amazing --- but isn't the first week in February a bit early for them?

This particular field always has lambs earlier than other local farms, I'm not sure whether this is earlier than usual.

As an addenda to my sad tail of water last Saturday, there is another twist. During Friday and Saturday there were numerous power interruptions from icy power lines, complete with power surges. Eventually my back up generator came on it got so bad. 

Yesterday, I was trying to do a load of laundry, and my new computerized washing machine had a nervous breakdown. I called the repair service to organize a repair, and the company told me they had been inundated with calls for service to "smart" appliances, apparently caused by power surges. I guess I need a surge protector on that device too. 

Isn't modern life wonderful. 

• Like 2

We had a bit of a nightmare day yesterday when our travel insurance company decided they wouldn't renew our annual cover because of one of my conditions. This was on the day we were meant to be paying the final balance on our cruise going in 5 weeks. Luckily, our TA takes the payment a week ahead of Cunard's last date, so they gave us some more time to get things sorted.

It took 9 hours of searching the internet and trying to call insurers, none of which were answering. In the end we spoke to a lovely lady who explained that it is all down to how you answer the questions. I was going down as having an undiagnosed condition when it had been diagnosed. But because the Dr is looking for a way to relieve the symptoms, they were interpreting that as undiagnosed. Turns out it should have been covered in the first place. 

So, we are all covered now for the next year. And we can prepare for our cruise. Phew!

• Like 7

I have been following the voyage of QM2 from Southampton to the Caribbean and back on Cruise Mapper.  According to them, the voyage was to end on 13 Feb. But QM2 is back in Southampton, preparing to leave for Hamburg tonight.

I am wondering if she is doing a four day turn to Hamburg, before heading to NYC on the 13th from Hamburg, via Southampton.

I hope this visit to NYC goes well and this marks a return to the Normal TranAtlantic crossings. Fingers Crossed. Things are looking better in the US these days, so maybe, just maybe. 

• Like 1