Will Celebrity add residents of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut to list not allowed to board?

treehugr

7 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

This has more to do with proximity to NY.  Since NY has started exploding in numbers of cases, people have started to flee NY and are flying to FL - this order is more to try to keep these idiots from spreading the virus from NY to more people down here.  And this only applies to people who are traveling down here at this point in time.  

Still doesn't make sense as the only airport with flights to Florida from Connecticut is Bradley which is 2hrs and 12 min drive from NYC. Philadelphia airport is closer to NYC than that but there is no restriction on flights from Pennsylvania.

I do understand the concern over New Yorkers fleeing to other locations though as I live on Cape Cod and we have been inundated with the arrival of second homeowners from Boston, NYC, CT, etc. which puts our limited number of medical facilities and grocery stores under a bigger strain; we have two hospitals on the entire Cape and the closest one to where I live in Provincetown is 1 hour away. Those of us who live out here year-round are livid and very nervous about the virus now coming to us in larger numbers. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as they won't close off the Cape like they are with the Keys in Florida.

21 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Sometimes I wish there was a mandated IQ test and minimum IQ test score for all of our politicians before they could take office.  Many would fail I think☺️

A better one although impossible would be one that measured empathy, humanity, humility, and just plain common sense as a starter. I can think of one that would fail big style.

• Like 4

Cruises are not going to sail before these restrictions go away. So I don't think this will ever be an issue. The cancellations (at least of US based sailings) will continue until the US is no longer a hotbed of infections. As someone else mentioned. When the governor of the state is banning large gatherings and issuing stay at home orders, they can't very well hold embarkation in a port in that state. Even if it hasn't been issued yet for Florida, I'm sure it is coming soon. 

Edited by sanger727

17 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

This has more to do with proximity to NY.  Since NY has started exploding in numbers of cases, people have started to flee NY and are flying to FL - this order is more to try to keep these idiots from spreading the virus from NY to more people down here.  And this only applies to people who are traveling down here at this point in time.  

They are also fleeing NYC to summer vacation homes on Eastern Long Island...stores very crowded and some bringing more virus along...We already have enough ill people and hosps are stressed.

I really think we should all stay home for a bit longer...hoping SW cancels our flights in June...but likely we will do so on our own.. or maybe switch to a later date.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, WonderMan3 said:

Kind of absurd when Florida has three times as many cases as Connecticut.

But it has almost seven times as many people. The density of infection is currently much higher in CT, although it’s all based on numbers tested, which seems  to skew the numbers. 

As is the case with almost everything in CT, the numbers are very skewed towards Fairfield County, which is really a suburb of NYC. Sometimes referred to as the sixth borough. 

mac_tlc 

"Self-quarantine" implies a personal responsibility to do just that.  When the passenger on Grand Princess completed their 14-day ship onboard quarantine last week they ere asked to take a COVID-19 test prior to release.  800 refused, citing that if they tested positive they would be sent back into quarantine.  Grand Princess' infection rate was around 10 percent of those tested.  Eighty (80) passengers flaunted safety and health requirements to travel and likely infect others.  No one knows how many are at risk, where they are or how to contact.  Truly sad.  A quarantine has no teeth unless it is enforced.  The reason China is making headway against COVID-19 is their strict enforced policies.  Italy, Spain and Germany have initiated fines and possible incarcerations for violating required quarantines.  Florida's edict is useless as we have seen with the Spring Break beach parties on both coasts.  "Social distancing" by those of us who understand and have empathy for our fellow humans will help all of us outlast this virus.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Still doesn't make sense as the only airport with flights to Florida from Connecticut is Bradley which is 2hrs and 12 min drive from NYC. Philadelphia airport is closer to NYC than that but there is no restriction on flights from Pennsylvania.

I do understand the concern over New Yorkers fleeing to other locations though as I live on Cape Cod and we have been inundated with the arrival of second homeowners from Boston, NYC, CT, etc. which puts our limited number of medical facilities and grocery stores under a bigger strain; we have two hospitals on the entire Cape and the closest one to where I live in Provincetown is 1 hour away. Those of us who live out here year-round are livid and very nervous about the virus now coming to us in larger numbers. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do as they won't close off the Cape like they are with the Keys in Florida.

Fla is apparently still being inundated with the influx  from the north, and is  starting their  program to isolate travelers from impacted areas...Not sure how it will work out.  We are skipping our June trip...10 day trip, 14 day self isolation does not make sense.

East end of Long Isand NY is reported to  be overwhelmed by second  homeowners and renters fleeing NYC who may be bringing their germs with them ...  Stores and hosps cannot absorb this..Some leaders out there want to close vehicle traffic other than urgent business..... Not sure how that will work out either.  

On 3/24/2020 at 6:08 AM, treehugr said:

Just seen here in Florida the governor has made it mandatory for anyone arriving on a flight from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut to perform a 14 day self-quarantine upon arrival in Florida. Am I correct in assuming cruise lines operating out of Florida would be required to follow suit?

Tampa Bay Times

The only people allowed to cruise today are aliens.  Not illegals from outside the USA, but from outer space.

A bit more seriously, self quaranteen is not enforceable unless that person gets Covid19 and infects others.  Then there are all sorts of liabilities.  One would hope everyone is staying home Even where stay in place is not the mandate.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:25 AM, TeeRick said:

Sometimes I wish there was a mandated IQ test and minimum IQ test score for all of our politicians before they could take office.  Many would fail I think☺️

I wish there were mandatory IQ tests an minimum IQ test scores for all of the cruise ship passengers before they could board.  Many I think would fail.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:48 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I wish there were mandatory IQ tests an minimum IQ test scores for all of the cruise ship passengers before they could board.  Many I think would fail.  😉

Maybe passengers should get a doctor's note?😊

10 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Look at the world and the unending spread. They are not going to cruise for many, many , many months. 

This thread is a bit disappointing.  Celebrity right now is banning cruisers from Earth.  All of us.

Anyone that travels is putting themselves and others at risk.  What happened to personal responsibility.

As to boarding - Really really simple. Cruises will resume a couple weeks AFTER there are no more new cases of Covid19.  Not until.  Read the sad saga of Eclipse and Holland America, Shilouette, Diamond Princess and others to understand.

Stay home. Be safe.