Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

NavyCruiser

On 4/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, JT1962 said:

In addition to less passengers & crew, no self-serve buffets, longer turnaround times, etc. I think extensive health screenings, temperature checks when getting on and off the ships and some of the restrictions on people of a certain age or with certain health conditions that were started just before the shutdown will continue, at least initially.

Health screenings?  And who would do these?  And maintain HIPAA requirements?

Temperature checks are fine for entering a location for a few hours or a day.  But with COVID19 being latent for a number of days, people can easily be fine when they board, but start showing symptoms the next day or the next or so forth.

Older people or people with health issues are not more or less likely to get this or to have it.  They are at more risk to die from it. 

Basically, these things may make you feel good, but will NOT DO ANYTHING to help.

1 hour ago, boomhower said:

My guess is around the end of the latest 100 day shutdown.  (I know they can technically resume before that.). NY is on the brink of starting to decline along with most of the other hot spots.  Give it another three months and we should be in the clear for the most part. Until there is a vaccine it will never be 100% safe but they cannot BK and entire industry until it’s 100% safe. There will be changes in screening and procedures on board with possible age restrictions.  I completely anticipate cruise resuming in July.  Doesnt effect me either way as mine was cancelled and next on is scheduled in December. 

Yes, the number of new cases each day has been going down in the US for a number days.

BUT, that is driven by only parts of the country.  US is so big, we have areas that are on the down swing, while other sections are just starting to take off.   You have to look at smaller units than the entire country.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:31 PM, slidergirl said:

You're going to have people who won't get the vaccine anyway, just like we have people now who don't get the annual flu vaccine.  And self-reporting wouldn't help there, either: "yes, I did get my vaccine."  People lie.  If/When a vaccine is created, tested, and verified, it would have to administered and verified like a Yellow Fever inoculation is - the official card that shows when you had it, signed by your medical provider.  

Why?

If YOU don't want to get the vaccine, that does not affect ME.  YOU may get sick, and die.  I will be fine.

On 4/12/2020 at 10:32 PM, navybankerteacher said:

To a certain extent one has to accept the fact that, in some respects, life is not fair.  If the only way cruises could take place is if everyone who boards has to show proof of being vaccinated, then anyone who cannot show that proof cannot be allowed to board —- regardless of the reason they had for not being vaccinated.  If it were a matter of life or death  - say like entering a hospital for treatment, or even going to a grocery store to buy food, some accommodation would have to be devised.  But for an optional recreational activity like cruising????? 

Again, why?

If I am vaccinated, I don't care if everyone else on the cruise is vaccinated or not.

Other than an outbreak keeping me stuck on board. 🙂

Health screenings?  And who would do these?  And maintain HIPAA requirements?

Temperature checks are fine for entering a location for a few hours or a day.  But with COVID19 being latent for a number of days, people can easily be fine when they board, but start showing symptoms the next day or the next or so forth.

Older people or people with health issues are not more or less likely to get this or to have it.  They are at more risk to die from it. 

Basically, these things may make you feel good, but will NOT DO ANYTHING to help.

Agreed, but they will put many of them in place anyway. Just like Security Checks at airports, arenas and stadiums or locks on a door. They give the appearance that something is being done to make people feel better, but don’t stop some who really want to do something. The changes won’t prevent some from getting on board who may already have the virus, but it will make some feel safer about cruising again. I do think the temperature checks will be done at every port when getting on and off the ship and possibly even once each sea day to isolate anyone who develops a fever after boarding.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

Again, why?

If I am vaccinated, I don't care if everyone else on the cruise is vaccinated or not.

Other than an outbreak keeping me stuck on board. 🙂

News Flash:  it is not all about you.  

If the cruise line has a clearly stated and justifiable policy of requiring ALL passengers to show evidence of vaccination, they have the right to refuse boarding to anyone who is not vaccinated -regardless of whether such non-vaccination is due to allergy or simple disinclination.(Which was the point of my post to which you take exception.)

• Like 2

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

News Flash:  it is not all about you.  

If the cruise line has a clearly stated and justifiable policy of requiring ALL passengers to show evidence of vaccination, they have the right to refuse boarding to anyone who is not vaccinated -regardless of whether such non-vaccination is due to allergy or simple disinclination.(Which was the point of my post to which you take exception.)

The point is, if you are not vaccinated, that is YOUR problem.

Yes, you may get sick on the ship.  But with the latency period, if you catch it on board, you will not get sick until you get home.

But based on your requirement, vaccination is not enough.  As most vaccines are only a maximum of 90% effective.  That is 10% of the people who get the vaccine do not get any immunity.

Also, those who have had it are immune, so why do they need the vaccination??????

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

If a vaccine exists it may become a prerequisite to enter certain countries. So cruises who want to dock at certain locations will have to make sure everyone has a vaccine certificate, the same way you can't board certain cruises if you don't have a visa regardless of whether you plan on getting off the ship at that destination.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

Yes, you may get sick on the ship.  But with the latency period, if you catch it on board, you will not get sick until you get home.

But based on your requirement, vaccination is not enough.  As most vaccines are only a maximum of 90% effective.  That is 10% of the people who get the vaccine do not get any immunity.

Also, those who have had it are immune, so why do they need the vaccination??????

You keep ignoring the point.  If a clearly stated condition for permitting    boarding is showing evidence of vaccination, the line has the right (and, arguably, the obligation) to deny boarding to those who do not show such evidence.   This has nothing to do with efficacy of vaccine or the likelihood of people having natural immunity.  

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

If a vaccine exists it may become a prerequisite to enter certain countries. So cruises who want to dock at certain locations will have to make sure everyone has a vaccine certificate, the same way you can't board certain cruises if you don't have a visa regardless of whether you plan on getting off the ship at that destination.

That is possible.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You keep ignoring the point.  If a clearly stated condition for permitting    boarding is showing evidence of vaccination, the line has the right (and, arguably, the obligation) to deny boarding to those who do not show such evidence.   This has nothing to do with efficacy of vaccine or the likelihood of people having natural immunity.  

To only require vaccination is pointless, as they may still not have immunity and may be infected.

What point is it to the cruise line to care if you are vaccinated or not?  They will probably require all the crew to be vaccinated, so they have protected their employees.  If you get sick on the cruise, you pay for medical treatment.

If this was such a great idea, why do they not require a flu vaccine to cruise?  Or any other vaccine????????

Edited by SRF

1 minute ago, SRF said:

What point is it to the cruise line to care if you are vaccinated or not? 

If there is a suspected case of COVID 19 on board countries may refuse it docking as we have seen happening now. So I could see cruise lines wanting to reduce the chance of that happening and if having mandatory vaccinations does this I can see why cruise lines would care.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

To only require vaccination is pointless, as they may still not have immunity and may be infected.

What point is it to the cruise line to care if you are vaccinated or not?  They will probably require all the crew to be vaccinated, so they have protected their employees.  If you get sick on the cruise, you pay for medical treatment.

If this was such a great idea, why do they not require a flu vaccine to cruise?  Or any other vaccine????????

You may not have noticed, but this COVID 19 pandemic is a bit different than the flu. 

But, once more, whether or not vaccine is effective, if there is a requirement for proof of vaccination for boarding, then absence of proof is grounds for denying boarding. 

It is is sort of like school districts requiring proof of immunization before permitting students to attend.  You might not like it, agree with it,  or even understand it, but if it is a requirement you should expect it to be applied —- regardless of your disinterest in other people getting sick. 

• Like 1

Why not just wait until the CDC and cruise lines come out with a formal policy for what is required.   Speculation and "what if" scenario's keep you second guessing what the cruise lines may or may not do.  Let's wait until the new policy is out; then if you want to comment on the new policy you can.  

59 minutes ago, SRF said:

And maintain HIPAA requirements?

HIPPA may need to be altered in a Covid-19 world.  

While privacy is good, I think most of us would agree that a law allowing (and mandating) that entry into a venue of 100 people or more requires Covid-19 testing either a certification of antibodies or no virus in the past week is an overriding public interest.  

It would be a minor tweak in comparison to the changes that occurred post 9/11.  

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I have a friend whose parents were on that ship that eventually disembarked in Oakland and got moved to a military facility. Her father was never sick but at the end of all that tested positive. Today he donated plasma. So, yes, I agree with you.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Could it be that our passports will eventually contain data that states we are immune through prior exposure or have had the vaccine?  

My passport has addendum DOD data to show all my vaccines since boot camp:

Adenovirus

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis B

Twinrix

Haemophilus Influenzae type B (Hib)

Influenza

Measles-Mumps-Rubella

Meningococcal serogroups A, B, C, W, Y

Pneumococcal

Polio

TD, Tdap

Varicella

Yellow Fever

Zoster

Tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis (TDAP)

Smallpox

Anthrax

cholera

meningitis

rabies

tetanus

typhoid

HIV and Malaria

Human papillomavirus

Now just awaiting CoronaVirus....?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

My passport has addendum DOD data to show all my vaccines since boot camp:

Adenovirus

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis B

Twinrix

Haemophilus Influenzae type B (Hib)

Influenza

Measles-Mumps-Rubella

Meningococcal serogroups A, B, C, W, Y

Pneumococcal

Polio

TD, Tdap

Varicella

Yellow Fever

Zoster

Tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis (TDAP)

Smallpox

Anthrax

cholera

meningitis

rabies

tetanus

typhoid

HIV and Malaria

Human papillomavirus

Now just awaiting CoronaVirus....?

I wonder what they will call the vacinne?  Pretty sure you get an award for the highest number of vaccinations!  

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Why?

If YOU don't want to get the vaccine, that does not affect ME.  YOU may get sick, and die.  I will be fine.

I'll get my vaccination and I'll honestly report if need be. It won't affect me, but it could affect others who could not get the vaccine for a legitimate, medical reason that may not be protected enough via herd immunity.  Look at the measles outbreaks in the last few years...

Edited by slidergirl

6 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

What measles outbreak?

Did you go out & got the measles vaccine...?

late 2018/early 2019.  The US had the "eliminated" status since the number of cases had been under 200 since around 2000.  But, it cropped up again (not to corona levels, but more than normal) in New York, traced to a person who visited a country that had measles not controlled and brought it back.  It was in the Orthodox Jewish community enclaves in New York where it spread.  Over 1000 confirmed cases and some deaths.  Some other places in the US ended up having larger than usual episodes of measles in that time.  In some places, kids weren't allowed in school if they did not have their vaccination, for whatever reason.   You really don't remember this??? 

I routinely get updated vaccinations as my medical provider recommends for me.  Initial vacs and boosters.  So, I am always up to date on them.