Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

Amsterdam has departed Port Klang  and is sailing southeast in the Strait of Malacca at 15.4 kts, destination shown is Jakarta (Tanjung Priok), ETA 28 Apr 2020, 0800 hrs local

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 6

Amsterdam is just getting into Singapore Straits traffic doing 16.8 knots. 

About 2 nm behind Chinese VLCC Xin Ning Yang bound for Qingdao, China, doing usual VLCC speed of 11.2 knots.

VTIS [Vessel Traffic Information Service] may tell Amsterdam to slow down as there are a few VLCC's in front of them.

Busy day on Amsterdams bridge but they have over double the staff there compared to the usual merchant ship.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

About 2 nm behind Chinese VLCC Xin Ning Yang bound for Qingdao, China, doing usual VLCC speed of 11.2 knots.

VTIS [Vessel Traffic Information Service] may tell Amsterdam to slow down as there are a few VLCC's in front of them.

Busy day on Amsterdams bridge but they have over double the staff there compared to the usual merchant ship.

Straits of Singapore locator map.PNG

55 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

I forgot; pilotage mandatory within the Strait?

No pilotage available - your training has to come to the fore. 

There are quite a number of collisions but at least during this time there are few cross strait vessels.

Photo 1  -  T-boned @ Singapore by LPG tanker.

Photo 2  -  T-boned by VLCC.

T-bone1 @ Singapore Straits 2003.jpg

T-boned by VLCC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

No pilotage available - your training has to come to the fore. 

There are quite a number of collisions but at least during this time there are few cross strait vessels.

Check out how many ships were just off Singapore when the Amsterdam went through yesterday!  1st screenshot is just the Amsterdam's position.  2nd one is the Amsterdam (purple arrow pointing to her) along with hundreds of other ships!

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.09.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 12.12.56 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amsterdam currently finds herself in the South China Sea east of the big Indonesian Island of Sumatra, having passed both her earlier - since rescinded stops - of Singapore and Batam Island, chugging along at 14.7 kts. Next up is the Java Sea, the also big Indonesian island of Java, and her stop in two days (fingers crossed) of Tanjung Priok, the port city for the capital of Jakarta, population a mere thirty million to repatriate the majority of her always hard-working Indonesian staff. There will be a lot of happy faces when that occurs

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 2 people

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 7 people

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Image may contain: 1 person

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

After lucky crew members are dropped off at their countries' ports, is there a minimum number of crew members that the Amsterdam will need to transit back to the U.S.?  And post # 235 indicates that the ship will wait in Malaysia prior to it's return.  I understand that everything is fluid but I am a bit curious as to how many crew members need to remain on-board.  Cherie 

39 minutes ago, cccole said:

After lucky crew members are dropped off at their countries' ports, is there a minimum number of crew members that the Amsterdam will need to transit back to the U.S.?  And post # 235 indicates that the ship will wait in Malaysia prior to it's return.  I understand that everything is fluid but I am a bit curious as to how many crew members need to remain on-board.  Cherie 

I assume around 20 - 30 people, bridge, security, kitchen, cleaning staff, Copper will check in and let us know

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Yes, she will need a skeleton crew from the Deck and Technical Depts. and more than likely some housekeeping folks for general HK duties as well as some food prep staff for that same skeleton crew.

The current plans do not have her going back to North America however, but going into long term layup (as opposed to hot/warm laup) at a Malaysian port soon, no doubt, to be followed by other ships enroute to Asia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, cccole said:

Guessing here but probably at least a couple of hundred?  Officers, a couple of office/HR people, deck crew, security, engine room, environmentals, food service, laundry, cleaning crew who also maintain the hotel areas.

6 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Guessing here but probably at least a couple of hundred?  Officers, a couple of office/HR people, deck crew, security, engine room, environmentals, food service, laundry, cleaning crew who also maintain the hotel areas.

For long term layup, less than 100

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

For long term layup, less than 100

From what I could find, the definition of a "long term layup" is about 5 years.  I certainly hope this isn't the case here!.  I found this in the Lloyd's Register ship lay-up guide.

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.45.19 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Thanks, so it might be for 3 or 4 months for the Amsterdam.???

That's unknown at this time! If you take a look at Carnival's plan of action post-Covid-19; they have designated ships which are slated to come back but not until Oct and Nov of this year 

Edited by Copper10-8

53 minutes ago, JennysUncle said:

Amsterdam seems to be taking the long way around to Jakarta.

She went around smaller Belitung Island, east of Sumatra, into the Java Sea but still shows an arrival for tomorrow, Tue 28 Apr @ 0100 hrs (1:00 AM). That's a little more than 3 hrs from now local time 

• Like 1

Has anyone heard anything from the Amsterdam WC passengers who boarded the Pacific Princess in Freemantle to sail to Los Angeles instead of flying?

That ship arrived last week, and a lady made a nice posting on their roll call, but no mention of the Amsterdam passengers.  Earlier in their roll call thread someone estimated there were three new passengers, but another thought it was more like three couples.

Hopefully they have all returned home safe and sound.

Barbara