Online TA Closing

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have never understood that.  I prefer to book everything direct. 

So do I unless it's a real bargain. But many newbies to cruising who are not tech-savvy may not even realise you can book direct. I think there are still a lot of people who think the only way you can book travel is through a TA.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So do I unless it's a real bargain. But many newbies to cruising who are not tech-savvy may not even realise you can book direct. I think there are still a lot of people who think the only way you can book travel is through a TA.

Very true, my sister in law was quite surprised we book our cruises through the cruise line and they are tech savvy. So it makes someone who isn’t tech savvy would use a travel agent. 

Leigh

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

If the cruise line cancels a cruise, does the TA get no commission?  ...... If they receive commission, they shouldn't be charging for cruises the cruise line cancels.  

7 hours ago, Ondine said:

The following is from a Princess announcement regarding the cancelling of cruises - updated on April 14th.  I remember seeing it on the original email from Princess cancelling my 23rd March cruise which I received around 12th March.

Princess will protect travel advisor commissions on bookings for cancelled cruises that were paid in full, in recognition of the critical role travel advisors play in the cruise line’s business and success.

RCCL have something similar https://loyaltoyoualways.com/service/cancelledsailings/

As our valued partners, we recognize the work entailed in planning your client’s cruise vacations and, of course, want to ensure that you’re fairly compensated. For this reason, your commission earnings will be protected on the cancelled reservations that are paid-in-full, as well as the future booking where the correlating FCC is redeemed

On 4/26/2020 at 11:28 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Of course they will accept direct on line bookings , but not everyone is tech savvy .

Or  a phone call - which is how most agents operate anyways.  One of the upside of lockdown is that people who have never used things like online banking have now been motivated to sort out the technology 

On 4/26/2020 at 9:19 AM, lissie said:

Really? Havent found  a cruise line yet that doens't accept bookings via a website? 

Aranui you can only book via a travel agent and they have to be travel agents that have permission to sell their cruises😳. They have an unusual  sales system😜.

Interestingly the Aussie passengers were really surprised when they found out we had booked without the package the TAs offered. They would ask us how did we book cruise only? It was weird to tell people we just asked and it was so funny when the wife of one of the couples we were talking to turned to her husband and said "why didn't we do that? " 😂. TAs will always be needed in some form as there are a lot of not very savvy travellers out there who just need the assistance. 

My MIL is not very tech savvy and has always used a TA. But after a few disappointing experiences with them re cancelled cruises (before COVID) and one time them keeping the deposit when they should have refunded it. (She later rang Princess, and they told her she should have been given the deposit back, she went back to the TA who said ( "oh yes sorry, we made a mistake" (yeah right)). She said she will ask me to do it or call and book over the phone with them directly.

Edited by christodan

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Aranui you can only book via a travel agent and they have to be travel agents that have permission to sell their cruises😳. They have an unusual  sales system😜.

Interestingly the Aussie passengers were really surprised when they found out we had booked without the package the TAs offered. They would ask us how did we book cruise only? It was weird to tell people we just asked and it was so funny when the wife of one of the couples we were talking to turned to her husband and said "why didn't we do that? " 😂. TAs will always be needed in some form as there are a lot of not very savvy travellers out there who just need the assistance. 

If you wish to use a TA, ask experienced travellers to recommend a good one.  There is a lot of difference in skill base between TAs.  A good TA can enhance travel for inexperienced travellers, or travellers who aren't confident.  A bad TA can turn you off using TAs for life.    

We had planned to CruiseFirst on a Baltic trip in August. Booked cruise then airfares(so not a package) and our land component either side was self organised. Since border closure was announced, have successfully cancelled all self booked land components with no penalty. C1 however have advised that as there is no known interruption to our bookings, cancellation fees will be almost 2/3’s of what we have paid to date. 300 pp fee still applies but will reduce to 50 pp if we book with them in future! Not on your nelly!  I usually book direct and serves me right this time for putting my faith in a third party. 😏