Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm guessing bathroom breaks don't make the spread sheet as far as where to stop  huh? Just hold it until it's  a timed stop on the spread sheet.? 😉

Those are in the timed stops.  Rest areas are good places to change drivers.   Usually every 1.5 to 2 hours.   I always say, “Plan accordingly”, and don’t have the big coffee. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

How about  food from vendors labeled as  Street Meat? 

My favorite thing about southern CA is roadside taco vendors.  A guy and girl with a grill and a little tent on the side of the road is a great lunch or evening snack.  

Street tacos are the best!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

@bobmacliberty

18 hours ago,  NHProud said: 

If you’re going to Grand Central station look at the Oyster bar menu . There are other things on the menu besides oysters.  I used to visit annually in Feb and never had a problem with the weather.  

Is that the "hidden" bar that's upstairs?  We'll be looking for that bar.

It is the restaurant on the lower level of Grand Central station.  Another restaurant you might like is Tavern on the Green  My SIL enjoyed it .  

My friend spent 10 days in The City and walked 77 miles . Not for me for sure . You like to walk . Are you up to the challenge? 

I found the bar that I was referencing...The Campbell.  I saw it on a travel show somewhere.  They said it was a relatively quiet place to enjoy a drink or a meal in the middle of Grand Central craziness, and few people know about it (including locals).  I don't know how true that is, but it makes me want to go there for a drink.  Are any of you NYC people familiar with The Campbell?

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

And most important don't forget to have a Sabrett  Dirty Water dog while in NYC

image.jpeg.a0c656110690dd99537e01e9e0a436ed.jpeg

Definitely on my list.  Not so sure about Micheline.  A tip that I received is if a street cart price is not listed, confirm the price before ordering.  Some of the less scrupulous street cart vendors are charging whatever they can get away with if you don't ask.  Tourists from other countries in particular may have no idea what a normal price should be for a hot dog and may fork over $20 when told that's the price after receiving their dog. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh come on... God hates a coward LOL. 🤣

I've walked through China Town. I've seen what meat they sell on the street. I've also looked through some doors and seen what is happening before stuff gets out on the street.

You know what God hates more than cowards.... people who won't look out for themselves.🙂😊😇

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Definitely on my list.  Not so sure about Micheline.  A tip that I received is if a street cart price is not listed, confirm the price before ordering.  Some of the less scrupulous street cart vendors are charging whatever they can get away with if you don't ask.  Tourists from other countries in particular may have no idea what a normal price should be for a hot dog and may fork over $20 when told that's the price after receiving their dog. 

Another interesting bar is in Sardi’s restaurant is on ground floor and bar is on second floor . They have a decent pre show dinner. Peking duck is a great byob Chinese restaurant, it was Mayor Ed Koch favorite restaurant I saw him there a few times , it’s on Mott street in Chinatown.

Edited by George C
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I found the bar that I was referencing...The Campbell.  I saw it on a travel show somewhere.  They said it was a relatively quiet place to enjoy a drink or a meal in the middle of Grand Central craziness, and few people know about it (including locals).  I don't know how true that is, but it makes me want to go there for a drink.  Are any of you NYC people familiar with The Campbell?

Not me

19 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That is a very common practice in Manhattan especially near Central Park where many tourists from other countries gather.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've walked through China Town. I've seen what meat they sell on the street. I've also looked through some doors and seen what is happening before stuff gets out on the street.

You know what God hates more than cowards.... people who won't look out for themselves.🙂😊😇

I have a long history of bad decisions... Why stop now ⛷️

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

38 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Are any of you NYC people familiar with The Campbell?

I've heard of it & seen signs for it. I'm pretty sure I've walked past the entrance a hundred times as the "side entrance" (Vanderbilt Ave entrance) is what I took all the time to avoid the crowds on 42nd st. That it, until The Summit One Vanderbilt was built.

For some reason, I always thought it was an exclusive, members-only club.  Looks real nice & swanky. Enjoy!

Go figure, I learn more about NYC from visitors that I do from living so close to the city all my life. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Oh come on... God hates a coward LOL. 🤣

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Moderation is the key. 😊

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've heard of it & seen signs for it. I'm pretty sure I've walked past the entrance a hundred times as the "side entrance" (Vanderbilt Ave entrance) is what I took all the time to avoid the crowds on 42nd st. That it, until The Summit One Vanderbilt was built.

For some reason, I always thought it was an exclusive, members-only club.  Looks real nice & swanky. Enjoy!

Go figure, I learn more about NYC from visitors that I do from living so close to the city all my life. 🤣🤣🤣

There is or was an exclusive members only club on 50th.Street.I forgot what it is called but I went to a high school reunion there once.Why it was there I never asked.

• Like 1

Earlier today I was zooming my Parkinson’s Support Group.The people are age 45 to 85 and instead of discussing the illness we were discussing scams.One person said that he received a call yesterday supposedly from a utility company telling him that he had not paid his bills for the past three months and if he did not pay it immediately they were sending somebody to his home at 5PM to turn off his electricity .They said they would take it from his bank account and he gave them his account number.He was scammed for $100,000.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

When Dan and I used to go see my family in Westchester we would couple it with a night in the city before flying back to Florida.  In the past years since we had done most of the tourist stuff we would just spend the afternoon/evening visiting  all the Irish Pubs in the Times Square area.  We stayed in lots of different hotels in the Times Square area over the years.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

When Dan and I used to go see my family in Westchester we would couple it with a night in the city before flying back to Florida.  In the past years since we had done most of the tourist stuff we would just spend the afternoon/evening visiting  all the Irish Pubs in the Times Square area.  We stayed in lots of different hotels in the Times Square area over the years.

There was an Irish Pub on 48 St.that had the highest bar stools and bar imaginable.I cannot recall the name of it.When I was young and healthy I frequented many Irish bars in Manhattan.My favorites were McSorleys and Tommy Makems.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

There was an Irish Pub on 48 St.that had the highest bar stools and bar imaginable.I cannot recall the name of it.When I was young and healthy I frequented many Irish bars in Manhattan.My favorites were McSorleys and Tommy Makems.

Many many years ago I used to go to McCanns.  Not sure what street it was on, somewhere in the 40's and the bar was downstairs like Cheers is.  There were a lot of them back then, there was one near the Plaza behind FAO Schwartz don't know if that one is still there  I have been to McSorleys

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Many many years ago I used to go to McCanns.  Not sure what street it was on, somewhere in the 40's and the bar was downstairs like Cheers is.  There were a lot of them back then, there was one near the Plaza behind FAO Schwartz don't know if that one is still there

McAnns is 625 Eighth Ave.In 1969 I worked at 709 8th.Ave..I also went often to Kennedy’s and Shines.Every Friday when I was working was a liquid lunch day for quite a few years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

That's a great idea,  especially since there's an Irish Pub every block & it seems they all have the name Connollys, Pig-N-Whistle or Playwright.   Kidding but I think each of those have (or used to) 6 locations each. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's a great idea,  especially since there's an Irish Pub every block & it seems they all have the name Connollys, Pig-N-Whistle or Playwright.   Kidding but I think each of those have (or used to) 6 locations each. 

You will probably find this surprising (or not) but I have been to all those as well.  🍸 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I agree about staying in Newark. JKF area is a NO NO (in my humble opinion).

The Westin in Newark is very nice. I think it is called the Newport area. Not like Newark downtown at all. There are other hotels in that area too.

Train/path to the city right across the road.

Restaurants and shopping galore outside.

We really enjoyed the stay.

This was some years back (maybe 2018 ish?) before a cruise. They upgraded us to a suite that had a view of the ship coming in (the hotel is not on the riverfront but has rooms where you can see the river front).

I'm not sure where the Newport area is but it made me think of Jersey City & Hoboken.  @Tree_skier should check them out. Both cities have come a long way in the past couple decades.   Closer to the city than Newark with the same mass transit options, potentially cheaper Uber fares being so close to the tunnels & probably closer to Cape Liberty as well. 

The departure port boards should have a wealth of real experience info.  I'm just guessing as I've never stayed in NJ, outside of Atlantic City that is.🙂

• Like 1