Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

18 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Hope both will be better soon.

My son fell snowboarding while in high school.  He complained to us how bad his hand hurt but nothing seemed broken.  It was our last day in Vermont so he rode home complaining the whole time.  After a few days of hearing him complain took him to the Dr, they took x-rays and yep one of the bones in the back of his hand was broken, Dr called it a fighters break, common when knuckles hit something.  We felt bad and still hear about from time to time.

Thank you, April.😘

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've lived in houses my entire life but have been thinking a lot of downsizing to a condo.  My issue is that while I'm sure I come across as a tremendously  delightful social butterfly here on CC (sarcasm), I actually value my peace and quiet above all. So pretty sure I don't want to share a wall with anyone, much less 2 walls. Or see people when sitting on my balcony, all bleary-eyed sipping coffee while in my PJ's.

Hows' that for a pretty picture?

I also enjoy the serenity of our back yard in N.J.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vibe said:

A owner in a co op will pay a portion of the taxes of the entire property based on the square footage of their unit. They are not very common in Florida.

A condo owner pays taxes on their individual unit based on the assessed value of their individual unit.

How are taxes on any common areas handled? Are the paid by the HOA?

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Glad you are ok, nobody was hurt, the car is driveable with no serious damage. 

Depending on the car, brace yourself for the price of a mirror. I spent $1,200 on one, installed. Granted, it's one of those high tech mirrors with Blind Spot monitoring, heated & dim-able, built in turn signal and folds when you lock the car. Still, that's a far cry from the $20 "sport" mirrors I used to buy at Sears Auto Stores in the 1980's & bolt onto the car myself.

Now I sound elderly. 😄

Oh wow.  My mechanic replaced both our mirrors on the Subaru Outback for $440.00 total.  He sourced them second hand.  Mind you they didn’t have your James Bond features 😀

• Like 3

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well it looks like I have a new 2nd condo near PC. I have a buyer here with 2 small kids she wants to start the new school year in the school here. My condo I own is rented until sept 1st. Plus i think it's not as big as i now want. When i used to live in boca Raton before i moved back to texas i had more visitors than usual lmao. And i just wanted BIG. 

Under contract to buy new condo. Over 2k sf. Huge for a one level condo, no stairs. Huge balcony off 3 rooms. I dont own any balcony furniture but I'm hoping for a close by furniture store.

Clearly I need some balcony furniture lol. 7.75 miles from the port my cousin says google maps. Hes Mr. IT. Still within close uber reach. Pool tennis/pickleball courts, library. Maybe I need to learn pickle ball. Close walking trails and lake to walk around. Need to get in shape is my plan this year. Oh and its Penthouse top level. Not sure I can see fish from that high, maybe birds? 

20240205_163430060.jpeg

Very nice!  Which direction does the balcony face?  Sunrises or sunsets?  Location sounds lovely with lakes & walking trails.

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's a nice sentiment but I don't think the math works in your favor.  How many pro athlete are we talking about? A few hundred, maybe a couple of thousands across the NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL, plus a few tennis players and golfers?

Compared to the many millions of teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, doctors? That's a lot of money.  Heck, I'm pretty sure they guy that spent the last 18 hours plowing my roads while I slept comfortably probably  should get Micheal Jordan money too, otherwise we'd all be home bound for the next week or two.

FYI, I live in a community that has a volunteer fire department.  That's take some dedication to risk your life for free. That's the kind of person I want serving my community.

I also get to choose whether or not to support those athlete salaries by buying tickets or not. Taxes are not optional. Many people, especially older ones, can't afford to keep their homes once they retire. Work until you drop or sell out. That is a pretty sad reality for many people.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Sorry to hear that about your child, aussie!  Will they be operated while in Canada?

My youngest grandson broke his wrist last weekend while snowboarding.  Luckily it was a clean break.  He did great snowboarding for the first time all morning, before falling on his wrist just before heading to lunch.

Oh no.  Your grandson breaking his wrist on the first day of snowboarding.  Glad it was a clean break though.  Has it impacted him being able to do schoolwork?

Yes, the operation will be in Canada. Thankfully all covered by insurance.  One of her close friends got wiped out on the snowfields by an out of control snowboarder two weeks ago.  DD went in the ambulance to the hospital with her and stayed by her side as her support person so she knows the hospital well.  

DD wasn’t on the slopes.  She was simply walking out of her building and on the way to her work bus when she slipped on the icy path that hadn’t been salted.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I've lived in houses my entire life but have been thinking a lot of downsizing to a condo.  My issue is that while I'm sure I come across as a tremendously  delightful social butterfly here on CC (sarcasm), I actually value my peace and quiet above all. So pretty sure I don't want to share a wall with anyone, much less 2 walls. Or see people when sitting on my balcony, all bleary-eyed sipping coffee while in my PJ's.

Hows' that for a pretty picture?

We share the same picture. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, akcruz said:

one of the bones in the back of his hand was broken, Dr called it a fighters break, common when knuckles hit something.  We felt bad and still hear about from time to time.

Boxer's fracture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Icy path + ankle =. an early morning trip to hospital (once someone could be flagged down to help)at 6.30am and a teary call to parents in Australia in the early hours of the morning.  The winter season has ended prematurely for one of my “kids”.   Op in a few days time.

So sorry to hear this.  I wish them the best with surgery and recovery.  😊

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sorry to read that. Do you know where the break is?

She chipped a bone on her ankle but apparently the ligament(s) are the issue.  I don’t know the full details yet.  It was all a bit of a blur to her at the time.  At the moment she is in a half cast & bandage from knee to ankle with surgery scheduled in a day or two.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Many happy anniversaries today 💕

Happy birthday to Sue @sgmn and to Lisa @A&L_Ont

And best wishes for your wedding anniversary -- Renee & Mike @ReneeFLL

Lisa says thank-you. 

Happy birthday Sue and happy anniversary to Mike and Sue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Many years ago, I broke one of the bones in my wrist while skiing. My right arm was in a cast for 3 months.  First month was a full cast, knuckles to shoulder and then got progressive shorter each month. Fortunately, it was at the end of winter, early spring actually,  & was going to be my last time skiing for the season anyways.

Nasty accident but fortunate timing.

Courtesy of DD I am learning of all the injuries on the ski slopes for skiers & snowboarders.  Broken collarbones would appear to be number one.  Concussion would be number two.  DD is very thankful that she did not hit her head.  The seriousness of the effects of concussion is something she is fully aware of now, as is  the importance of a good quality helmet.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Oh no.  Your grandson breaking his wrist on the first day of snowboarding.  Glad it was a clean break though.  Has it impacted him being able to do schoolwork?

Yes, the operation will be in Canada. Thankfully all covered by insurance.  One of her close friends got wiped out on the snowfields by an out of control snowboarder two weeks ago.  DD went in the ambulance to the hospital with her and stayed by her side as her support person so she knows the hospital well.  

DD wasn’t on the slopes.  She was simply walking out of her building and on the way to her work bus when she slipped on the icy path that hadn’t been salted.

Sending the best from our home to both of them. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If never dealt with HOAs before. How are property taxes handled on a condo property? Is the property assessed and then split according to the square footage of each unit?

Larger unit = higher Hoa dues.

Condo owners still pay individual property taxes to townships but much less than a standalone home.  

The Hoa also pays property taxes for the land and building.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yea my oceanfront is built during the hey days of NASA. 1961. First year I bought they assured us HOA fully funded by then the elevator didnt pass. And I got a assessment for $3500 to fix the elevator. 

Now they want to paint the exterior, in 3 stages. 1 stage a year and HOPE the increase will cover painting.

Imo condo prices are soft all over florida. I can even buy pretty reasonable downtown miami. I had a alert at that port too but HOAs there are mostly over $1000. I draw the line at $1000 a month, though with my luck going to be there on one or the other the way insurance and wages for gardeners and stuff going. It is crazy, but I'm still moving there. I've had enough of texas. It's not my home state lol. 

When shopping for a condo it is important to ask for their Financials to make sure they are in good standing.  Plus check to make sure they have proper reserves set aside for general building maintenance such as roofing, painting, etc.

• Like 6

Had dinner out tonight with a group including my Dad’s German friends.They have been blessed by lovely weather in Sydney so far and have been enjoying the sights.

I don’t know what it is with us Aussies but after a long relaxing dinner, the talk turned to things in Australia that can kill you 🤦‍♀️ you know the usual suspects….and the various encounters everyone have had…

Anyways, this reminded me of last weekend when I entered the top floor of a large indoor shopping complex and I noticed a couple about my age peering down the gap of the moving walkway.  I assumed they had dropped something.  No, they were discussing how they could gently move the large huntsman spider that they were looking at, from the side of the gap in the walkway to an outdoors area, safely 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No, they were discussing how they could gently move the large huntsman spider that they were looking at, from the side of the gap in the walkway to an outdoors area, safely 

Yeah, that is what I would be trying to figure out too.

• Haha 12

39 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Sending the best from our home to both of them. 

From our house too.  Hope those fractures heal quickly.  Our granddaughter did end up in a boot for her fracture, but I think she gets rid of it today.  Things have been sad at her house, because this Friday is the father daughter dance, and both of them have the flu and are slowly getting over it.

Happy birthday to Lisa.

• Like 2

Happy Valentine’s Day.

I was just reading an article about the high cost of loving in the UK.  Yes, that is not an autocorrect.  I think I am spending way more on my endeavors than this.

• The average British couple now spends up to £3,531.20* annually in efforts to sustain their romantic endeavours
  • Try date banking, where you plan for an affordable holiday and get as many dates as possible into a trip away

• Like 6