Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Except for the odd day here and there we haven’t had any time off since our Feb cruise. We finally got a few days to get away. I’m working up in Oregon and the heat was supposed to get up to triple digits this weekend so that gave us good excuse to leave the fifth wheel behind and head to the coast we’re spending the weekend in Lincoln City. It gorgeous and nice and cool. Mid 70’s apx. 

Here’s a few pics from our stay here so far this weekend. 

IMG_2214.thumb.jpeg.0bf7e5b0f5b038fd8ad95d4f13aa1df1.jpeg

IMG_2215.thumb.jpeg.17930ced1f2c2935c7e8877ca2f7f864.jpeg

IMG_2221.thumb.jpeg.98bebfacdea06cce80a9b844bcfd4d9d.jpeg

This is from our balcony at our hotel

IMG_2241.thumb.jpeg.f1e0b2cbd3f23fbb9e79eb54bd83da5f.jpeg

IMG_2244.thumb.jpeg.6912f6bc7fd30087af4b540c7dce153f.jpeg

This is my view this morning while having my morning coffee. 

IMG_0103.thumb.jpeg.661ef19c0c40357c7d27384dbb86d37f.jpeg

And here are a few pics of the nice room we got. We’re staying at the Starfish Manor. So far it has been a great stay. I’d highly recommend them if you're looking for a quiet child free environment. 

IMG_2184.thumb.jpeg.3f6a89f62d7eec469c192c471ebbdad4.jpeg

IMG_2188.thumb.jpeg.afd74b6aa729a7c0115f4cc763535601.jpeg

IMG_2191.thumb.jpeg.8e05b24f8dd13f3462b89b7e7dc882cb.jpeg

IMG_2187.thumb.jpeg.450f2177682cd06a8d30e27232a3757e.jpeg

IMG_2186.thumb.jpeg.3c312fdf56bdad54c4febf1eb331d517.jpeg

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 30

There’s been a bit of tourist talk about NYC on the thread lately thanks to @harryfat1. Sadly I had to cancel my Liberty Canada NE cruise in Sept.  Friends we were going with had a problem and couldn’t fly however they still wanted to cruise so we’re doing Navigator a week earlier with them.  I was really sad to miss that. I was really looking forward to a few days in NYC pre cruise. Several of you gave trip ideas to make the trip great. Thank you for that… it wasn’t a waste. I “accidentally” booked a Canada NE cruise for 2025. 

• Like 11

19 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

On the plane now going back to California after a 9 day trip to NYC.

Free wifi and monitor on Jetblue flights as well as charger plugs underneath seats to power up all electronic devices 

20240705_153343.thumb.jpg.ec53f0e4bf926da15d310f018df7c4b3.jpg

20240705_164551.thumb.jpg.a02c5bad163ac9fc2b2c2b180e786a76.jpg

20240705_163201.thumb.jpg.0690cbd250cca275d9867d2060d4a995.jpg

20240705_164607.thumb.jpg.5f56837730fe57275fa1d273fe3ac37f.jpg

I’m flying Jet blue for the first time in November and December. I was a little nervous about using them but they have great and affordable direct flights from LA to FLL. 

How would you rate the experience. 

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks is that Navigator too? I will be interested if so on how you liked it. First time for us on that itinerary.

14 hours ago, NHProud said:

There are others on this thread like Dave who can give you a better assessment. We cruised on Navigator last year and liked the ship . Firstly, we stayed at the DoubleTree which is mediocre. It’s not bad but just okay . Make your shuttle reservation the night before.  Unless, they’ve remodeled the bar will not wow you and the restaurant is tables set around the bar .  The burgers and soda were overpriced because well cruisers are in town .  

I liked Hooked a lot , Taste of Royal and Playmakers . Sorry , I didn’t notice your Tiki bar . I’ll make a point of dropping in to the Bamboo bar this time.

We’ve stayed in Cabo on a land vacation and drove to Todos Santos .  I’m not remembering much except 3/4 of us got sick out of two Drs , one nurse and me . 

Highly recommend staying in Laguna Beach unless it is going to make you anxious about traffic.

I’ll be on 9/20 but this our first time on this itinerary. All the others have been the shorter 4 day Catalina Ensenada itinerary. This will be a different cruise one for us since we’re cruising wit( friends and I think my usual cruise routines will be interrupted. 

On Navigator specialty restaurants are all good and we’ve always had good success in the MDR. Playmakers is good as well. 

My thoughts on the Bamboo room have been well documented. I love it but a big reason is the bartender… Raj.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My longest are 8 nighters. Maybe longer ones will seem more appealing when I don't have so many obligations at home. However, at this point after a week away I still look forward to getting home and going back to work.

I also don't have a ton of self control while on a cruise. After a week of non typical eating and drinking, as well as not getting to the gym, I just don't feel that good.🤷‍♂️

I’ve done one B2B so 14 is my longest. That was a perfect length for me I think. If and when I do longer I’ll have to adjust my eating and drinking.  To long on that routine would not be healthy. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

My thoughts on the Bamboo room have been well documented. I love it but a big reason is the bartender… Raj.  

I hope you see him and can ask him if he will be working the 10/18 sailing or will he be on vacation? Hopefully I get to meet him. Tell him to be on the lookout for Sea Dog. I plan on spending a lot of time there trying the cocktails.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I have actually seen it and enjoyed it. The Hallmark channel all this month is rerunning all their Christmas movies for Christmas in July. The other night had one of my all time favorite’s called “Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” It stars Henry Winkler. Brook Burns and Warren Christie. It’s about a snowbound stranger who brightens the holidays for a retired cop (winkler) and his niece and her little boy. It’s a great rom com. Very funny and cute. Check it out if you can.

For some reason I never liked Henry Winkler going all the way back to Happy Days. Just something about him...🤔

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

For some reason I never liked Henry Winkler going all the way back to Happy Days. Just something about him...🤔

I have actually met him and did an interview with him when he was in Kansas City many years ago. He actually was extremely nice and likable. Maybe it was the characters he played that you didn’t care for?

• Like 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

I have actually met him and did an interview with him when he was in Kansas City many years ago. He actually was extremely nice and likable. Maybe it was the characters he played that you didn’t care for?

That is is probably the case. However, when you have not met someone personally all you can go by is the character they portray. I guess that is the sign of a good actor. They can elicit a response be it positive or negative.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There’s been a bit of tourist talk about NYC on the thread lately thanks to @harryfat1. Sadly I had to cancel my Liberty Canada NE cruise in Sept.  Friends we were going with had a problem and couldn’t fly however they still wanted to cruise so we’re doing Navigator a week earlier with them.  I was really sad to miss that. I was really looking forward to a few days in NYC pre cruise. Several of you gave trip ideas to make the trip great. Thank you for that… it wasn’t a waste. I “accidentally” booked a Canada NE cruise for 2025. 

Sorry to hear you couldn't make your cruise this year but it's just a postponement until next year. Just look at it as giving you more time to prepare for NYC.

If you are interested in seeing NYC from a tourist's perspective, I will be doing a chronological overview of my trip in the continuation of the Odyssey trip report from last year. You are welcome to read that once I am done with laundry and grocery shopping (the necessities of post vacation tasks) and upload my pictures to my hard drive.

I was on the Navigator last year so you can also check out that trip report as well if you sailing on her later this year.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is is probably the case. However, when you have not met someone personally all you can go by is the character they portray. I guess that is the sign of a good actor. They can elicit a response be it positive or negative.

His 45 year long marriage has always been an endorsement of his character to me. Anyone one who has been in Hollywood as long as he has and has maintained such a good marriage is probably a pretty good guy. 

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I’m flying Jet blue for the first time in November and December. I was a little nervous about using them but they have great and affordable direct flights from LA to FLL. 

How would you rate the experience. 

I like Jetblue. They claim to have the most amount of leg room of any coach seats amongst US carriers.

There's a web site called seatguru that you can check the seats of your flight as to the leg space and seat location as being good or bad.

Jetblue has TV screens on the flight if you care to watch that versus your own electronic devices but bring your own wired earbuds as it's not Bluetooth.

As I reported yesterday, you have free wifi for most of the flight (some dead zones) so you can keep yourself busy during the flight. 

I typically dread these cross country flights associated with cruising out of Florida, but yesterday's 6 plus hour flight went by really fast with free wifi.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I’ll be on 9/20 but this our first time on this itinerary. All the others have been the shorter 4 day Catalina Ensenada itinerary. This will be a different cruise one for us since we’re cruising wit( friends and I think my usual cruise routines will be interrupted. 

On Navigator specialty restaurants are all good and we’ve always had good success in the MDR. Playmakers is good as well. 

I really liked Navigator that was my first grand suite , did it twice out of Galveston in grand suites and a cruise to the A, B C islands, all great cruises .

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

His 45 year long marriage has always been an endorsement of his character to me. Anyone one who has been in Hollywood as long as he has and has maintained such a good marriage is probably a pretty good guy. 

I know nothing of his personal life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Except for the odd day here and there we haven’t had any time off since our Feb cruise. We finally got a few days to get away. I’m working up in Oregon and the heat was supposed to get up to triple digits this weekend so that gave us good excuse to leave the fifth wheel behind and head to the coast we’re spending the weekend in Lincoln City. It gorgeous and nice and cool. Mid 70’s apx. 

Here’s a few pics from our stay here so far this weekend. 

IMG_2214.thumb.jpeg.0bf7e5b0f5b038fd8ad95d4f13aa1df1.jpeg

IMG_2215.thumb.jpeg.17930ced1f2c2935c7e8877ca2f7f864.jpeg

IMG_2221.thumb.jpeg.98bebfacdea06cce80a9b844bcfd4d9d.jpeg

This is from our balcony at our hotel

IMG_2241.thumb.jpeg.f1e0b2cbd3f23fbb9e79eb54bd83da5f.jpeg

IMG_2244.thumb.jpeg.6912f6bc7fd30087af4b540c7dce153f.jpeg

This is my view this morning while having my morning coffee. 

IMG_0103.thumb.jpeg.661ef19c0c40357c7d27384dbb86d37f.jpeg

And here are a few pics of the nice room we got. We’re staying at the Starfish Manor. So far it has been a great stay. I’d highly recommend them if you're looking for a quiet child free environment. 

IMG_2184.thumb.jpeg.3f6a89f62d7eec469c192c471ebbdad4.jpeg

IMG_2188.thumb.jpeg.afd74b6aa729a7c0115f4cc763535601.jpeg

IMG_2191.thumb.jpeg.8e05b24f8dd13f3462b89b7e7dc882cb.jpeg

IMG_2187.thumb.jpeg.450f2177682cd06a8d30e27232a3757e.jpeg

IMG_2186.thumb.jpeg.3c312fdf56bdad54c4febf1eb331d517.jpeg

Looks very nice and peaceful. Enjoy your stay!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Over the July 4th holiday, my DH and I attended the wake and funeral of a dear friend.

She and her husband were dedicated Royal Caribbean cruisers since their first cruise in 1997.

At her wake, there were many photos displayed of them enjoying the cruises, usually with a group of close friends.

At the funeral Mass, the priest noted in his eulogy , her love of travel and cruising and her enjoyment of doing Karaoke on the various ships.

Our friend was full of life-she enjoyed her time spent with her family and friends, encouraging all of us to celebrate small moments and big events.

Unfortunately, she developed pulmonary fibrosis which led to her having a lung transplant almost two years ago.

As with everything in her life, she took on the surgery and recuperation with courage and hope.

She and her DH took a cruise this past April. She did say that some of their activities were scaled down from their usual cruise days, but she enjoyed the time on the ship. I think it was the Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne. She and her DH booked another cruise for2025 while in the ship.

A few weeks later, she was hospitalized with pneumonia and left us at the end of May.

She left us all with the inspiration to never give up,always have hope and courageously face challenges.

Her lively spirit and love of life touched us all. 
She will be greatly missed, but we know that her pain has been relieved and she is at peace.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I am so sorry to read about the loss of your dear friend. She sounds like she lived a life well lived.  Good memories for sure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My longest are 8 nighters. Maybe longer ones will seem more appealing when I don't have so many obligations at home. However, at this point after a week away I still look forward to getting home and going back to work.

I also don't have a ton of self control while on a cruise. After a week of non typical eating and drinking, as well as not getting to the gym, I just don't feel that good.🤷‍♂️

Our longest was 46 plus another week on land.  We walked a ton.  On sea days we walked on the deck or me on the treadmill in the gym to keep at least 10 k steps a day.  Port days were usually higher.  We skipped breakfast, light lunch ( sometimes it was just a snack), moderate dinner.  The drinking is a problem and hard to pass on when it’s free. We gained less then 5 lbs but I’ve not been able to get it back off so there’s that.

We missed our dog and the kids and grands but it was great.  We’ll probably not do another one that long unless it’s a world cruise. Next up is 28. Honestly we’d rather pack and fly once.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I know nothing of his personal life.

I was a big fan of Parks and Rec. I hated his character in that show. He just wasn’t funny at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I am booked on Liberty New England for 10/2/2025.  It has been a bucket list.  I will be retired by then.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, patattack said:

I am booked on Liberty New England for 10/2/2025.  It has been a bucket list.  I will be retired by then.

We’ll miss each other by one cruise🫤

• Like 1