Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

39 minutes ago, derorim said:

I had to search back to see that you mentioned you had TKR surgery.  I'm considering the same.  My concern is timing between trips we have planned.  In your situation, is 12 weeks enough time to get recovered sufficiently to cruise?  I know everyone's experience is different so I can't bank on yours, but I thought I'd ask.  Anyone else is welcome to chime in (@Sea Dog).

That could be doable. I wouldn’t do it any sooner than 3 months but by that time period you should be able to walk without any pain. Stairs may be bothersome but you can do it slowly. The only issue will be your range of motion. You will have some pain but nothing that can’t be tolerated.

57 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

For the most part. No pain when walking and healing went better than I expected. I am having pain in my groin area when I do certain exercises such as moving my leg outward to the side. I think it started right after the surgery. I was taking pain pills, but that was usually just before PT and I would feel the groin pain in between. (I can now trash the ones from 2017 that I mentioned since I now have new extra ones. 😁) Since it has continued I will be seeing the dr on Monday and they can see what shows up on the x-rays. It’s been about 11.5 weeks so I’m very happy with the outcome.

I had no idea you had knee surgery, was it a TKR?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 10:28 AM, Sea Dog said:

My son Jonathan sent me this picture of his Drave (black and white) with his newest additions brother and sister who I forgot their names. Looks like they are getting along just fine.

IMG_5708.thumb.jpeg.be8bc9c91a0a023fe1e726d56f0dd39c.jpeg

So cute.

On 7/3/2024 at 10:44 AM, helen haywood said:

Minnie is keeping watch while I have breakfast.

IMG_6140.jpeg

So pretty. She looks like our Chloe who is 17 years old.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Our house is all hardwood and tile. Only the room that goes over the garage is carpeted so that the floor will be warmer. The only place my dog ever had her "accidents" would be on the carpet. The only place the cat throws up is on the carpet. It is as if they know that tile and hardwood is easier to clean up.🙄

When we bought our current house there was only carpet in three bedrooms, even though the carpet was new , we had it replaced with laminate.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Our house is all hardwood and tile. Only the room that goes over the garage is carpeted so that the floor will be warmer. The only place my dog ever had her "accidents" would be on the carpet. The only place the cat throws up is on the carpet. It is as if they know that tile and hardwood is easier to clean up.🙄

@DaniDanielle I’ll put my 2 cents in here.  I 2nd the patience comment .  In my own experience, I’ll also add routine and simply pay attention (not in a snarky way).  Often times body language will tell you when they are getting ready to go.  As soon as you see her sniffing around with purpose, circling etc, take her outside and give praise/treat for going outside.  Combining that with a regular potty schedule is what always worked for us.   There’s going to be accidents regardless during the learning process.

We’ve hung a bell from the back door and trained our dogs to ring the bell before too.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 9:23 PM, George C said:

I always liked July 4th , as a kid remember firecrackers, ashcans , Roman candles on the streets of Brooklyn. Now that’s it’s my wife’s birthday we have a nice barbecue and pool party and can normally see fireworks from nearby cities.  Pool will not be too refreshing because it will be a hundred again , but glad I can jump in and out while cooking my marinated chicken legs and our hot Italian sausage. Wish everybody a happy 4th. 

You need to stay in longer. Our pool gets warm also, but sometimes (most) I’ll stay in for several hours and I’ll start to get very cold. 🥶

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We have been having a lot of visitors lately. 

image.thumb.png.7327d4d5a735aedd5cfa5c8d26a31de8.png

image.thumb.png.cc8df2ecc40b19710b3b198b50c87644.png

image.thumb.png.ca03ff5419ce311b93e916b71e54b442.png

They have been eating a lot of flowers so we are building a fense.

image.thumb.png.a61ad3fd986dbb6876b13df4968b38e2.png

image.thumb.png.fb4993eaba0b9ed5130b927409b4e2fd.png

They plan to finish it tomorrow.   After it is finished,  Sharon can take the sticks out of the flower bed.

image.thumb.png.faf31ad61c0ac0207c297360e4695f37.png

Your vegetable gardens, and their wholesome bounty amaze me. John!!  Ditto with your flowers!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

You need to stay in longer. Our pool gets warm also, but sometimes (most) I’ll stay in for several hours and I’ll start to get very cold. 🥶

It normally doesn’t cool off most days it never gets below 80 . We had a really nice July 4th , but next year I think we will just have it catered . Wife gave me a few lottery scratch offs and I won ten dollars, I gave a few to my wife and she won a couple of hundred 😁😁

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Doesn’t that start tomorrow? Wished we could go, but the B2B in August is better for Mike getting the time off.

Check out CruiseMapper.   It already started. It looks like it's 1:20 am July 7th there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We are trying to determine if we should go for it.  That is why we are doing the test drives.  We would not even consider it without the van.  

It says driving time to Orlando is near 14 hours. IF we go we would spend 2 or 3 nights on the way and then 2 nights in Orlando so we have a full day of nothing before cruising the next day.  

If you and Sharon find that you are both up for the trip, the way you spend each day on the road with 2 or 3 nights, could work out pretty well.  I'm really so glad that you have the accessible van now!!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Here’s a short YouTube from yesterday as well. 

Thank you for sharing!  Beautiful!! This reminds me of when I stayed in Monterey, Ca. back in the late '60's.  I took so many pictures of the huge and awesome rocks in the Pacific.  Just amazing!

14 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you for sharing!  Beautiful!! This reminds me of when I stayed in Monterey, Ca. back in the late '60's.  I took so many pictures of the huge and awesome rocks in the Pacific.  Just amazing!

Monterey is gorgeous too. When we made our home in the Central Valley of CA we visited there once in while.  Now that our home is in southern CA it's been a while since we've been there.  Now when I want to beat the heat I head up the mountain or head west to Santa Monica or Southwest to San Diego area.  La Jolla is really nice and quite mild.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That could be doable. I wouldn’t do it any sooner than 3 months but by that time period you should be able to walk without any pain. Stairs may be bothersome but you can do it slowly. The only issue will be your range of motion. You will have some pain but nothing that can’t be tolerated.

Thanks for the info, Greg 

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you for sharing!  Beautiful!! This reminds me of when I stayed in Monterey, Ca. back in the late '60's.  

I'll be spending four nights there this next week. 😁  I'm driving up for a family reunion, and decided to treat myself to some ocean time since I am going 2 1/2 months between cruises. 😹

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I'll be spending four nights there this next week. 😁  I'm driving up for a family reunion, and decided to treat myself to some ocean time since I am going 2 1/2 months between cruises. 😹

Oh, that's lovely, Pat!  When i stayed in Monterey so many years ago, I stayed with friends of the family for a couple of weeks.  While they were at work, (they were a block away, and were high up from the Ocean, almost like Cliffs) I would take walks along this magnificent area and fell in love with the beautiful, huge rocks just sitting there in the Pacific Ocean.

Have a wonderful time at your family reunion!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting a education in more adventurous travel. I've mostly stuck to Caribbean. Though I've done alaska, but never done a TA. There was one from PC I thought great, signed up, then the next leg went to greece I wanted to see, signed up, then if I'm ending in rome see rome, signed up. I waited to lock in hotel until airfare came out. I was expecting $800ish rome to orlando. If I flew right home air2sea a mere $1090 lowest price, but to see rome a few day lowest price my TA said $1500. I probably wanted to book direct, but orlando isnt a international hub. Someone else said call direct, thinking that cant be the peice. Royal said lowest is $1510 goes up from there air2sea. 

I'd posted on roll call running into memorial weekend and a jubilee rome event. A smart aleck on my roll call who has done TAs a lot ho hum said news flash only Americans celebrate memorial day, this will be nothing special. Idk what else accounts for the price then to fly home. So I thought np book direct to miami and take bright rail high speed train to orlando, be home in a few hours right? Wrong. It's about the same as driving, 7 hours or longer, makes 16 stops. So now I'm spending a friday night memorial weekend at a miami airport hotel to shuttle to bright line the next day. I was thinking high speed train would be fast. 

I wasnt even that keen on seeing rome, except I will be there and getting older, my parents waited too long to travel. Things happen as we age, I thought better to see it now. It will be practice for bella3. It leaves from ft Lauderdale and I assumed bright rail would be the best way to go. Now idk. Are there better ways down to south florida? Amtrak? Coming back from rome, no car, cant drive. Got hotels, excursions and a flight to miami all booked. Seems I need a hotel in miami and figure what is best way to get up to PC from miami now. I'm sure going to be tired when I get home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@Tree_skier and @Sea Dog  I'm looking forward to seeing you both (and Linda) on the Navigator in September!

Can’t wait to see you again my friend. We will have some fun!

2 hours ago, derorim said:

Thanks for the info, Greg 

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Now after two TKR surgeries I think I know a few things. There are pluses and minuses but in the end I am far better off than I was before.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've been knocked offline twice tonight. Its only seconds but annoying. Not enough to dislike living here, just annoying to keep being knocked offline, then wait wait wait and it says my connection has been restored. 

This happens to me with Optimum TV service. Aggravating.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2024 at 9:32 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Things sure have changed since being diagnosed over a year ago. 
Good things can come from challenging trials. My spirit has been uplifted from the love my family and I receive from so many around us!  And it is such a blessing to hear that this encourages those around me!
Physically things are way down. I can no longer walk, even with a rollator. As the day goes on my energy drops.  At times I have a hard time breathing. My right side is weak.  I did a grip test with PT Tuesday.   The left was 41 the right 8.  Big difference.   I get frustrated at times when I struggle doing the simple things in life.
My life would be totally different if I was not blessed with Sharon.   I am soooo thankful she is with me!
With all that said I am still enjoying life!  Those grandkids love on GPa. Each time Kenzie visits she takes the time to give me a big hug and squeeze my feet.  Life is still good!

It is hard for me to share this.  I enjoy bringing smiles to people thus the dad jokes.   😆 

I’m saddened to hear how the disease is progressing. It’s always such a joy to read your posts and see the pictures of your family, but this one really hurts my heart. I think of you often and am always hoping for the best. You have a wonderful family there to support you and we are here also. Stay strong and never give up. ❤️

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 1:19 PM, mo&fran said:

We have made final payment for 5 cruises on Freedom , starting the end of September , and ending the beginning of November.  That is 35 days, my longest to be on a cruise. My first solo cruise ever. There will be friends on some of the cruises. I may have to start to frequent the lounges, which we didn't before, since Mo didn't like them.

The lounges can be a great way to meet people. If there aren’t any empty tables available and we see some open seats, we always ask if we can join them. Always works out and an easy way to start talking to others. 

• Like 9