Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I made eggplant towers this morning.    Homegrown eggplant (breaded and fried) slice of homegrown tomato, then another slice of eggplant and a slice of fresh mozzarella sprinkled with homegrown basil.     Bought to work today for lunch - delicious. 

Sounds delicious!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That’s a nice cool relaxing ride.  My go to ride for ac and a nap is Carousel of Progress.  If you been on that ride you can get that song stuck in your head to.

My wife likes that music.  She likes the positive hopeful nature of the song:

There's a great, big, beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow's just a dream away

20181227_150034.thumb.jpg.6bec5ac650aa11933bb5f23d4f56b58c.jpg

20181227_151028.thumb.jpg.eb80647071e537ae0f09e9765734dae0.jpg

Yeah, this and the Tiki room are great for afternoon naps.  Cool and dark and you can get a solid 10 minutes of shut eye...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I haven't used my big Canon in more than a year.  My iPhone 12 ProMax takes good photos for the majority of what I shoot now.  I shoot with the LightRoom app in RAW and tweak in post if I want the picture to be a little better. 

I've thought about switching to a mirrorless DSLR for the few times that I need DSLR flexibility.  Quite a bit smaller and lighter weight.  For example, I wanted to take a slow shutter speed shot of the waterfall that I posted the other day to get that cotton candy water look.  I can slow down the shutter speed on my phone but can't adjust the aperture to compensate.  It was totally blown out.  Would have been nice having my Canon but would have also needed a tripod and ND filter.  Those kind of shots are probably less than 5% of what I shoot...maybe even 1%.  Maybe I'll get back into photography for more than just travel snapshots now that I'm retired.  

Sounds similar to me.  I have been a Canon fan for a long time.  I have accumulated several Canon lenses so it was hard to switch brands when upgrading.  Got into Photoshop 4 in the late 90s when I got it free with a scanner I bought to scan the old printed pictures.  I later got a smaller Canon underwater camera.  While  vacationing I found myself leaving the larger camera at home and using the smaller camera.  In the last few years I have rarely used the large one.  For awhile I was looking at the smaller mirrorless DSLR.  

For ease of use I’ve been considering lately the dji pocket 2.  Also been trying to decide between the IPhone 12 Pro Max or the Samsung 21 Ultra.  Last year I dropped the PS subscription because I wasn’t using it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I enjoyed reading this thread- in terms of radios my grandparents got me a AM FM flip clock radio- it made a nice sound when the time changed and have grand memories of 1978 listening to top 40. On my last cruise took a portable one by Sangean with earbuds and listened from the balcony.

I have been on other lines but hope to return to RCCL was on it twice in '92 and '94 and loved the circular Viking lounge on top it was great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Hello everyone, I enjoyed reading this thread- in terms of radios my grandparents got me a AM FM flip clock radio- it made a nice sound when the time changed and have grand memories of 1978 listening to top 40. On my last cruise took a portable one by Sangean with earbuds and listened from the balcony.

I have been on other lines but hope to return to RCCL was on it twice in '92 and '94 and loved the circular Viking lounge on top it was great.

Welcome to the best thread on the internet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Follow-up to our moving debacle that I posted about a couple of months ago…

The document listed every item and for every item, the compensation was exactly what I had asked for.  We had a check for 100% of what I requested a couple of days later.  I don't know if that's normal for Allied, or if my pictures of some of the damage scared them enough (the power of social media) that they decided to give me what I wanted.  Either way, I'm happy.

I’m sorry that you had to go through this but glad they came through in the end.

They must have been afraid of the CC backlash. 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've seen recipes on-line for this. It looks like it's easy to make.

Supposedly you can buy the authentic Dole Whip mix from Amazon or search online for some recipes. Like all food items, you can customize/change the recipe as you deem necessary:

https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2020/4/9/21214950/dole-whip-disney-recipe

Sometimes food just tastes better at the right place/right time. When you try to recreate it at home, it’s just not the same.

• Like 2

Continue with Day 3 of trip report – after the Dole Whip, it was time to go and have our complimentary photos taken.  If anyone has the Chase Disney credit or debit card, you are entitled to free photos taken by the Disney photographers at either WDW or Disneyland.  You just need to go the assigned location at each park within a 4-hour window any given day and present your card to be allowed entrance to a private screening area for photos.

Due to Covid, they no longer have live actors there with you for the picture but they Photoshop whatever characters later in your Disney app.

So if you have a Chase Disney credit/debit card, be sure to check out this nice perk:

20210809_152732.thumb.jpg.9bf6e3b364578e23cfe3ef0d0f3b12c0.jpg 

154825208_HIGH.thumb.jpeg.3c1441c65296bad51d964f0f8067d635.jpeg

154825179_HIGH.thumb.jpeg.086aad7744ec67230e59cef07c8ca8df.jpeg

Back in 2018 with real actor playing Kylo Ren taken at EPCOT

STUDIO_LBVISACHAR_20181228_415070036027_hq.thumb.jpg.634367796adbdbd68f48793460c96633.jpg

• Like 6

Disney is always very patriotic and everyday they have the Flag Retreat ceremony.  For Disneyland, it’s at 4:30 daily and the Disneyland Marching Band walks down Main Street and they perform many patriotic music pieces while they salute the various branches of Armed Services (Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines/Coast Guard) and thank all the men/women that served in each branch.  Then they played the National Anthem/God Bless America.

It’s like July 4 all over again. If anyone has served in the military, you should at least stop by here once to experience it.  This event isn’t well publicized or as well attended as it could be.  We have seen it several times. 

20210809_163829.thumb.jpg.e96a2f817cd56d496a854a0e8674ed91.jpg

134773706_Screenshot2021-08-17155519.thumb.jpg.d4b48e5f0ed5b79dc1f2533c3c4a679f.jpg

Here’s someone’s YouTube video that was recorded just few days before we were there as this one needs to be heard more than just watching couple of my photos:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It was almost 5 PM and we are tired and hot so it’s time to head back to the hotel to rest/decompress. Our hotel is about 15 minute walk to edge of Disneyland. It’s run by one of Marriott’s many subsidiaries – Westin. 

In the past, Westin was more focused on higher end business hotels, but they started this new brand of hotel called “Element” that is showing up across the country. As I mentioned in the beginning, the hotel was in service on July 1 so it was less than 6 weeks old when we were there. The rooms are catered more for families with its 4 beds and mini kitchen area so the family can eat in periodically.

20210809_170615.thumb.jpg.039368a112119f202e5c06f3142386ec.jpg

It felt good to be back in the hotel to rest our aching feet and drink something cold from the refrigerator that we bought from Costco on day 2.  Not sure if these Aloe drinks are available at all the Costco as I know some of their items are regional.

20210807_230121.thumb.jpg.570cdd2ff289c3ebf03aba7955d5328a.jpg

Also bought 12 gallons of water from Costco to stay hydrated.  Put one of these gallon jugs in the refrigerator nightly and then pour into each person’s water bottle in the morning before heading out. Speaking of water bottles, at the newer lands, they have the more modern water bottle refill set up such that you can just place the entire water bottle underneath the dispense and refill the water that way (Star Wars land have at least 2 of these stations).  Whereas the older areas with the traditional water spouts are harder to refill the water bottles. Of course, you can walk into a Starbucks and request a cup of water but that may not always be convenient if you are in line and thirsty.

20210807_230132.thumb.jpg.7610eae5f889c9234d7f777d2e4d35be.jpg

At any rate, after some cold refreshment, I drove out to get some take out dinner and my wife cooked couple more ribs from Costco. Here’s our dinner in the hotel.

20210809_183345.thumb.jpg.fada0c5ca4140f9f9790205aa703602e.jpg

20210809_185051.thumb.jpg.c68d3abd8f4606899307a5a7c361fa7f.jpg

20210809_185038.thumb.jpg.4aacff988cd6e2e28395ba3e5f7087ad.jpg

• Like 7

So after dinner, you would think we will just take it easy for the rest of the night and relax in hotel.  No way.  As hard core Disney fans and Cheapo Dad trying to maximize value in prepaid tickets, it’s time for round 2 as we made our way back to Disneyland.

Night time is so much more pleasant to visit than day time as it’s much cooler.

Mickey and Friends on Main Street.

20210809_201800.thumb.jpg.95c49ac92ab05a6a55172111370f9bf1.jpg

As you can see from people sitting on both sidewalks, they are securing a spot to watch the fireworks.  That’s too much time commitment for me.  I rather be on a ride instead.

20210809_201856.thumb.jpg.d54a1a5f77a9c30863f8abe705fd9b52.jpg

One thing I do want to note is that Disney parks are so much more festive during the holidays (but I guess everything is but somehow Disney parks looks/feels different). Here’s our 2015 Disneyland Main Street picture during the Holidays (just compare the lights of both pictures)

20151224_201241.thumb.jpg.7f96a312b28accee93d9f26b16657fa2.jpg

Or 2018 WDW Main Street with snope in the air

20181224_185104.thumb.jpg.6de4d08cd62c239f2425ab17e0ba502f.jpg

20181224_185140.thumb.jpg.83e29be693f2ce55ebb50603c52eb798.jpg

As bonus, here’s the WDW castle during the holidays back in 2018

20181230_181853.thumb.jpg.3ad4f0a3601eefaeb22ee5fcc00b5eae.jpg

• Like 10

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I fell asleep every night listening to my transistor.  It was under my pillow.  I still need a little noise to get to sleep.

Me too! Listened to Cousin Brucie on WABC in NYC.

Also listened to Murray the K- one of the “good guys” on WMCA. 

Edited by MJSailors
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was a repeating catchy tune during the ride.

Pauline liked the ride so we got on it every time we visited WDW Orlando or Disneyland Paris.

I liked Pirates of the Carribbean,BigThunder mountain railroad and Star Tours rides.

Graham,

How about Splash Mountain?!

My DH was very disappointed when we visited WDW a few years ago and it was closed for repairs.

We also liked Pirates of the Caribbean , the Haunted Mansion, Soaring in Epcot and theTower of Terror in Hollywood Studios ., 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Hi, Jim,

How are things? Nice to talk to you again.  I see you are still the night owl in being up at 11 PM my time in CA but 2 AM in South Carolina.

Looks like you are enjoying the retirement time with lots of cruises planned.

I would love to come out to Florida for another cruise on the mega ship but right now traveling across the country and especially Caribbean cruise  in August doesn't sound very appealing.

Doing well and looking forward to start cruising again, living in Myrtle Beach I can catch a direct flight to Ft Lauderdale via Spirit which makes traveling EZ.  As form being a night owl, when I had a house in NC I had to wait until after mid night to use the internet and I just got in the habit of sleeping late and starting my day around noon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Graham,

How about Splash Mountain?!

My DH was very disappointed when we visited WDW a few years ago and it was closed for repairs.

We also liked Pirates of the Caribbean , the Haunted Mansion, Soaring in Epcot and theTower of Terror in Hollywood Studios ., 

MJSailors.

We have been on all the Disney  rides many times except for Splash mountain.

• Like 1

@harryfat1

love your Disneyland pictures and updates. I have not been there in 40 years. 

It is so similar to what we are experiencing here at WDW in Florida. 

I admire your pictures and updates. Ty for sharing. 

I have either been posting once a day or one single post shows up 5 times. 

practicing for our October cruise to post live. 

Hot here. Today for us going to Animal Kingdom. Supposed to be cooler here today on that hot pavement. Hearing only 99 degrees. 

take care. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Pat,

So glad you found some "signal".

We really miss you here, dry wit, bird feeder, "land yacht" ... Bucky et al🥰 included.

LOL...awww...thanks.  You make me blush!  ☺️

I miss talking to all my friends here as well.  Seem to have a lot more time on my hands when I lose signal (which is most of the time...sigh 😞 ).   Magically appears when it is foggy, as it is now.  Strange.  

Should be able to be back to normal by Sunday when we resettle into last rental #5 for 3 weeks.  Have rental kayaks being dropped off for entire time, which will be fun to use on the small lake there.  First priority, of course, is to get the bird feeders up and running.  😄 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Me too! Listened to Cousin Brucie on WABC in NYC.

Also listened to Murray the K- one of the “good guys” on WMCA. 

Definitely remember them , I remember it was a big deal to get your first transistor radio.

• Like 1