Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We had first 2 pfizer shots March 2021.  Eric got his booster Oct. And just the other day received email from his transplant team to make sure he gets 4th booster 6 months after last one.

I can understand in his situation. Unfortunately, what I see is a lot of medical " cookbooking" going on instead of tayloring recommendations to the individual.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We had first 2 pfizer shots March 2021.  Eric got his booster Oct. And just the other day received email from his transplant team to make sure he gets 4th booster 6 months after last one.

Does this mean the vaccine only lasts 6 months? I know we were told to wait 6 months to get our 3rd vaccine.  I hate the thought of having to keep jabbing my arm with all that stuff every 6 months AND if there will be enough vaccine to go around.

Having said that, it's good that Eric's transplant team is keeping him current with the latest news about the 4th jab.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Does this mean the vaccine only lasts 6 months? I know we were told to wait 6 months to get our 3rd vaccine.  I hate the thought of having to keep jabbing my arm with all that stuff every 6 months AND if there will be enough vaccine to go around.

Having said that, it's good that Eric's transplant team is keeping him current with the latest news about the 4th jab.

Since he takes anti rejection meds every 12 hrs. vaccines and any antibodies wear off a lot quicker.   

I'm hoping I only have to do annual jab like flu shots.

Who knows what the next mutation will be.  Hopefully we get to endemic stage someday soon🤩

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We are on pins and needles here.  My youngest granddaughter (11 months) started a low grade fever on Sunday with a very “boogie nose”.  My daughter took her to the pediatrician yesterday morning as a precaution, they did Covid & flu test.  Still no results.  Granddaughter is better tonight, no more fever.  We’re just anxious to know if they’ll be able to come here for Christmas Eve.  Two weeks ago, the 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter was sick (flu/strep/Covid negative) which turned out to be hand, foot & mouth virus.  Last week my daughter was sick (also strep/flu/Covid negative), they told her tonsillitis.  Both of those Covid results were back in just over 24 hours.  Definitely taking longer with all the additional testing going on now.
So 🤞🙏 for another negative test in that family!  There are lots of other things circulating out there besides Covid.   

Deb you and your family will be in my thoughts for a negative test. I agree it's so confusing now with all the different strains of Covid plus the common cold and flu. Linda and I are just now getting over our bad colds. We took two covid tests each and both times were negative even though we had similar symptoms of those who had covid. Glad it was just a cold but stressful none the less. Hang in there we will all get through this.

Greg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Do you mind if I ask what village he lived in?

My grandmother took my mom and Aunt to her relative’s during the war to avoid the London raids.  When I was in my early teens my folks took my brother and I to England for two weeks and we spent a week in Cornwall.  

We stayed at the same relatives bed and breakfast.  We travelled across the countryside with my grandmother seeing her “stomping grounds” as a youth before she was married. I’d love to return one day. Beautiful countryside and amazing fish and chips. 

Ah thanks Andrew, it is my favourite place in the world.  And after a childhood moving every two to three years as a forces brat its the place I call home as all my relatives are from Cornwall.

The fishing village is Mevagissey near St Austell on the South Coast . Its still has a fishing fleet that goes out every day. Nearby is The Lost Gardens of Heligan and The Eden Project

I also love the north coast for the big waves and rugged coastline.  My grandmother lived in Perranporth on that coast 

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think I'm going to check my antibody levels in a couple of weeks and any future decisions on recommended booster may partly depend on changes in the level at that time. 

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Unfortunately, what I see is a lot of medical " cookbooking" going on instead of tayloring recommendations to the individual.

My thinking too... Everybody responds differently -- one has high levels of antibodies even 8-9 months after the 1st jab, and one didn't even develop ones... There is no, in this context, one size fits all...

Moreover, what I don't understand is that at the beginning of the vaccinations, experts were asked: "how long the vaccine will last"? And the reply was: "it's not only the vaccine we're basing ourselves upon, it's also the 'memory of the cells' ..." 

Now, the 'memory of the cells' isn't mentioned anymore !!!

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was on the fence too.  My thought was having Covid in July was my booster.  Wasn’t considering it until we booked for January.  I forgot about the option of checking my antibody levels.  

That's the paradox here -- we can test freely for PCR in every corner, but checking antibody levels? No sir...

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

That's the paradox here -- we can test freely for PCR in every corner, but checking antibody levels? No sir...

Same here, loads of testing going on, all free but I have no idea how I test antibody levels 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Deb you and your family will be in my thoughts for a negative test. I agree it's so confusing now with all the different strains of Covid plus the common cold and flu. Linda and I are just now getting over our bad colds. We took two covid tests each and both times were negative even though we had similar symptoms of those who had covid. Glad it was just a cold but stressful none the less. Hang in there we will all get through this.

Greg

Makes you wonder if Omicron causes something more like a "common cold" just like Corona viruses have been doing since since almost forever.

Maybe the world just have a cold for a couple of weeks and be done with it. I'm just musing about it, not advocating for that stance.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Checking antibody levels doesn't fit any...... I'm going to use a dirty word here..... political agenda. It also is more difficult, and expensive, than just sticking a swab up everybody's noses and injecting them with chemicals. Also, when you are dealing with a mass of people this large it is just plain more simple to use a one size fits all method and tell everyone to just go get a shot.

Fortunately, I'm in a position to not have to treat or advise my patients, or myself, as one of the masses. That, however, can sometimes put you at odds with the "rules" put in place by the people who have the ability to make them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Same here, loads of testing going on, all free but I have no idea how I test antibody levels 

Just checked,  apparently you can register to check if you work in NHS or care or you're part of a study or survey,  otherwise you have to pay privately 

https://www.gov.uk/register-coronavirus-antibody-test

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Just checked,  apparently you can register to check if you work in NHS or care or you're part of a study or survey,  otherwise you have to pay privately 

https://www.gov.uk/register-coronavirus-antibody-test

From reading that link, it seems like it only detects whether you do, or do not, test positive for antibodies. It doesn't appear that you get an actual titer which is the level of antibody that you have. Typically, titers would need more blood than you get from a finger stick and require a venapuncture. 

With the test you referenced, you could be positive for antibodies but not have a high enough level to offer much protection. However, there is much more to immunology than just antibody levels. It would be a long and boring discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

From reading that link, it seems like it only detects whether you do, or do not, test positive for antibodies. It doesn't appear that you get an actual titer which is the level of antibody that you have. Typically, titers would need more blood than you get from a finger stick and require a venapuncture. 

With the test you referenced, you could be positive for antibodies but not have a high enough level to offer much protection. However, there is much more to immunology than just antibody levels. It would be a long and boring discussion.

I'm glad we have a doctor on board! Very thought provoking. Wouldn't we have to know not only the level of antibodies but how long that level stays positive?  Just like people responding differently when getting jabbed, or actually getting covid, there is no indication of how long the jabbed immunity lasts in different people.  I think the bottom line is.  We just don't know. 😟 Although there doesn't seem to be an alternative, I'm not thrilled at getting jabbed every few months.  If it keeps me and my family out of the hospital, so be it.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I'm glad we have a doctor on board! Very thought provoking. Wouldn't we have to know not only the level of antibodies but how long that level stays positive?  Just like people responding differently when getting jabbed, or actually getting covid, there is no indication of how long the jabbed immunity lasts in different people.  I think the bottom line is.  We just don't know. 😟 Although there doesn't seem to be an alternative, I'm not thrilled at getting jabbed every few months.  If it keeps me and my family out of the hospital, so be it.

Absolutely. That is why I posted previously that I plan to get a baseline in a week or two. Then I would recheck before any further boosters. Why inject more chemicals if levels are holding?

A little more musing... there seems to be some rhetoric that the higher your antibody levels the better, but after  reaching a certain level do you really gain more protection by exceeding that level? Consider this, after you fill up your car's gas tank, if you continue to pump gas it doesn't allow you to drive any farther, the gas just spills onto the ground. Once again, I'm just musing.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Absolutely. That is why I posted previously that I plan to get a baseline in a week or two. Then I would recheck before any further boosters. Why inject more chemicals if levels are holding?

A little more musing... there seems to be some rhetoric that the higher your antibody levels the better, but after  reaching a certain level do you really gain more protection by exceeding that level? Consider this, after you fill up your car's gas tank, if you continue to pump gas it doesn't allow you to drive any farther, the gas just spills onto the ground. Once again, I'm just musing.

How do you test for antibody level?  Blood test? Stick up the nostril?

As far as overfilling gas in a car, I don't understand the reason for it. When it clicks full, it's full no matter what the dollar amount is.

Unfortunately, until some concrete, definite info is uncovered, musings are all we have for now.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We have a friend who got covid fairly recently. Her doctor is doing tests that measure the level of her antibodies and some number say 300. If she keeps above that level he says dont get the jab. I was at first upset when her husband said his wife wasnt getting the jab so they couldnt cruise, then found out her doctor is measuring her antibody levels. Hmmm 

They cant cruise unless she gets the jab when her doctor is advising not to get it.

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Consider this, after you fill up your car's gas tank, if you continue to pump gas it doesn't allow you to drive any farther, the gas just spills onto the ground. Once again, I'm just musing.

Musing or not, a truly useless analogy.  Spilt gas is very evidently not similar to injected vaccine.  Jeeez....

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don’t mind if I have to get a shot every month if it allows me to live a somewhat normal life and avoid wearing a mask.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Musing or not, a truly useless analogy.  Spilt gas is very evidently not similar to injected vaccine.  Jeeez....

You missed my point. I was talking about antibody level not vaccine. After a certain point does a higher level gain you much more protection? I'm dropping out of this as I see where it is going. Have a great day.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We have a friend who got covid fairly recently. Her doctor is doing tests that measure the level of her antibodies and some number say 300. If she keeps above that level he says dont get the jab. I was at first upset when her husband said his wife wasnt getting the jab so they couldnt cruise, then found out her doctor is measuring her antibody levels. Hmmm 

They cant cruise unless she gets the jab when her doctor is advising not to get it.

I thought you couldn't get a vaccine until a certain amount of time passed since getting covid??

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I don’t mind if I have to get a shot every month if it allows me to live a somewhat normal life and avoid wearing a mask.

I understand your point but unfortunately, there is no guarantee. 

My daughter just found out her ex-husband has covid after being jabbed 3 times.  Luckily, he wasn't with the kids for 3 weeks but she will still have them tested.  Nothing else we can do than keep being vaccinated, but, I don't know what the long term effect is for all those chemicals inside of me.  Having said that, I guess Jack and I will be ready for vaccine #4...sigh.

Unfortunately, I think wearing a mask indoors will be with us for quite a while.  I see more and more people wearing them in stores. 

Hopefully, with each new emerging variant, the severity will diminish.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You missed my point. I was talking about antibody level not vaccine. After a certain point does a higher level gain you much more protection? I'm dropping out of this as I see where it is going. Have a great day.

Please don't drop out but I understand your reasoning.

• Like 5