Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Good advice.  My mother is extremely stubborn and my sister and I had to fly down there mid December when her neighbor thought she might have Covid and could use some help.  Fearing the worst, like social services getting involved, I convinced my sister that we needed to go sooner rather than later.  My mother has been planning to move back to RI.  Things got very heated at times and I tried very hard just to try to stick to the task at hand, "packing", and not thinking how selfish she is with her "I'm just fine down here" attitude, when, if you looked around, you could plainly see how she is not.  As hard as I tried, I still lost it and told her how selfish she was, keeping a large number of dogs, when she could barely take care of herself.  The kicker was that she seems to think the neighbor is just fine with taking care of the dogs when she lands in the hospital due to yet another fall.  

This weekend, my sister called me on Sunday to tell me that she had been calling my mother and it kept going to voice mail.  I ended up texting the kind neighbor who stopped by to check on her.  The neighbor then sent me  a text telling me for the "most part" she was fine.  Apparently she had fallen again.  My mother called to find out why I had the neighbor check in.  After telling her we had called all weekend she told me it must be our "phones".  Her phone had no messages.  She never mentioned the fall, I'm going to leave that for my sister to work into the conversation.  She thinks we are making a big deal out of nothing.  Telling her that she could end up in a nursing home and losing all of the dogs is just us trying to upset her.  She has always been self centered and will never change.

Rant over! 

So sorry to hear you are dealing with this.  Definitely cannot be easy with her being in another state.  Change can be very scary for a lot of people and the stubbornness makes even harder for loved ones that simply want to make sure she is cared for and living in safe conditions.  You are in my thoughts and prayers for a positive event to help everyone💕🙏 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Thought I’d share these photos from my walk back to the house this morning. First ones rainbow lorikeet.

330B3021-AF2B-4330-BD8B-E840012FBDF8.jpeg

077F980D-BC73-41E3-96DA-7022F27A0538.jpeg

A43D8EA9-E78A-4D76-AD38-0A15C8D038FA.jpeg

64BABA04-2FC8-4790-9B8B-31E5544E5EDC.jpeg

5BEF0E9D-9DF0-4E28-BA9F-32E8B216A053.jpeg

99F7BAEC-A729-4479-A824-5540EF34CF03.jpeg

9564DEB8-B2EF-42EA-B905-D8A25F19209F.jpeg

Australia has such beautiful birds. 
It’s surreal to see birds flying around that we only see in  cages. 
Their coloring is dazzling!

Your plant life is wonderful, too. So different from ours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

The extra weight in my luggage used to be from books. Thanks to my Kindle I don’t have that problem, but my traveling medicine cabinet takes up space and adds weight. 
Dick brags about not packing as much as I do, but who does he come to for Tums, NyQuil, DayQuil, Bandaids, sunscreen, etc.?

I'm still old school and pack books.  I used to always leave my used books in the library on ships but was closed on our last sailing.

Yup, I always have my small bag with shampoo/conditioner, body wash, body lotion, sunscreen, tums, bandaids, ointments, etc etc etc and always asked if I have to have 2 bags.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's a good idea.    Maybe I will call the firehouse and ask if they make house calls.    

Hey I see no reason for you to go to hell if you are saving someone's life.    Sorry you had to go through that with your Mom.    

I was thinking about what might be lost if there’s a big fire. Maybe you could occupy your MIL long enough for  Eric to salvage a few things that mean something to him. I don’t know what would happen if he brought up wanting things from his grandparents or his own childhood. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

I was thinking about what might be lost if there’s a big fire. Maybe you could occupy your MIL long enough for  Eric to salvage a few things that mean something to him. I don’t know what would happen if he brought up wanting things from his grandparents or his own childhood. 

Thank you for thinking of this.  When Eric's Father passed away we moved her to a much smaller rancher home which allowed Eric the opportunity to get some family memorabilia from his Father and Grandfather.  She didnt really have anything from him or his Brothers childhood.  When Eric left for college his parents moved and she threw out everything from the kids rooms.  He has maybe 5 or 6 photos from his childhood. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Thank you for thinking of this.  When Eric's Father passed away we moved her to a much smaller rancher home which allowed Eric the opportunity to get some family memorabilia from his Father and Grandfather.  She didnt really have anything from him or his Brothers childhood.  When Eric left for college his parents moved and she threw out everything from the kids rooms.  He has maybe 5 or 6 photos from his childhood. 

That is really sad. The entire story of your MIL is sad. I think my mother's favorite thing in life is being a mom. Not to stereotype but that is sort of typical of Italian mothers.... especially toward their sons.🙂

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Texas sounds like they react to the possibility of snow/ice like they do in Arkansas.  A friend of mine ran the bakery that supplies most of the local bread.  I remember him telling me how crazy it gets a few days out before a potential snow.  

NY was worse.  I lived in suburbia, approx. 25 minutes from Manhattan and supermarkets were spread out and not as plentiful as they are here.  Shopping here is amazing.  I have multiple Kroger, Tom Thumb, Walmarts here in addition to Target, Costco, Market Street, Whole Foods all within 15 minutes of where I live.  I bet I even left a few out.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never had a BP problem until Jan.2021.One afternoon I was burning up and took my BP .It was 200/110.I called my primary care doctor ,she was gone for the day.I called my Cardiologist and he too was gone.Toby drove me to the local hospital ER.It took 6 hours till they got it down to 147/57.They sent me home and urged me to see a doctor the next day.I am currently on 3 pills a day.

I will retell my BP store in here again:

I had a Dr. appointment for a cold/cough.  My doctor took my BP more than one time and seemed to concentrate on what he was seeing/hearing more than usual.  He then told me my BP was 200/110 (same as yours, Lenny).  I was flumoxxed!!  Besides the cold I felt fine.  He had me wait in the office until it went down enough for me to leave the office.  He had me get a prescription filled immediately for BP meds. He told me to take one pill and come back to the office in1 hour.  He told me if my BP had not gone down significantly I would be sent to the hospital.

I did as I was instructed and when I returned, my BP was 130/65.  After 15 years, I still am taking the same one pill.

When I was in the hospital recuperating from a kidney issue, my BP showed 190/95.  I told the nurse it was impossible and that I wanted someone else to take my BP, just to be sure.  She really did not seem confident at all and made me nervous.  I can be hardnosed at times.  She came back with another nurse who took my BP which was 125/70.  Had I not spoken up, I might have unnecessarily been given a larger dose of my BP meds.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Tonight is a great night to be retired! As the Kansas City area is preparing for "snowmageddon" (6"-8" which I consider as nothing) normally I would  go to bed early to be at work at 3:30am for live shots. I've always thought seeing a reporter/photographer out by the side of a highway in the freezing cold telling people to not go out and drive was ridiculous. I can't tell you the number of times I almost got frostbite doing live hits. Now I will sleep in (if the puppies allow it) and watch the nice snowfall from the comfort of my house. Life is good !

You know, that is something I had always wondered about.  Although I can understand the live shots for weather in order to show people how bad it is and not to go out there.  What has never made any sense to my extremely logical mind is when they are reporting on a court case by standing in front of an empty courthouse in the dark (late night news) without a soul around.  But I guess it works in a way I don’t understand since I have seen it on many different news channels.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is really sad. The entire story of your MIL is sad. I think my mother's favorite thing in life is being a mom. Not to stereotype but that is sort of typical of Italian mothers.... especially toward their sons.🙂

Yes, it is sad.   she has zero maternal instincts.  She was the same with the grandkids.  Didnt really want to hold them as babies, would never change a diaper or feed them, if they had a runny nose she would say keep them away from me.   Definitely didnt ever ask her to babysit nor did she ever volunteer.

51 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My parents were not huge picture takers and some of the pictures have head’s missing but still have a pretty good number, he had them in slides which I got transferred to Betamax then to vhs then to dvds. My mom still has picture albums going back about a hundred years, sad thing is we do not know who are in most of these pictures. I also have a copy of the passport my grandfather used in mid 1920’s to visit Italy, he was born during our civil war and my grandmother was born in 1870 and lived to 1966, she had my dad when she was 47 , he was born in 1917, both immigrated early 1890’s from Sicily. 

• Like 6

On a brighter note, I have incredible in-laws plus the “bonus” in-laws when DH’s parents separated. I took it really hard (30 years ago) because it appeared they were so perfect together.  So unlike my parents relationship.  All holidays are spent together with both of DH’s parents at his mothers house.  Although the marriage didn’t work out the love and respect for each other is something to be admired.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

NY was worse.  I lived in suburbia, approx. 25 minutes from Manhattan and supermarkets were spread out and not as plentiful as they are here.  Shopping here is amazing.  I have multiple Kroger, Tom Thumb, Walmarts here in addition to Target, Costco, Market Street, Whole Foods all within 15 minutes of where I live.  I bet I even left a few out.

I will retell my BP store in here again:

I had a Dr. appointment for a cold/cough.  My doctor took my BP more than one time and seemed to concentrate on what he was seeing/hearing more than usual.  He then told me my BP was 200/110 (same as yours, Lenny).  I was flumoxxed!!  Besides the cold I felt fine.  He had me wait in the office until it went down enough for me to leave the office.  He had me get a prescription filled immediately for BP meds. He told me to take one pill and come back to the office in1 hour.  He told me if my BP had not gone down significantly I would be sent to the hospital.

I did as I was instructed and when I returned, my BP was 130/65.  After 15 years, I still am taking the same one pill.

When I was in the hospital recuperating from a kidney issue, my BP showed 190/95.  I told the nurse it was impossible and that I wanted someone else to take my BP, just to be sure.  She really did not seem confident at all and made me nervous.  I can be hardnosed at times.  She came back with another nurse who took my BP which was 125/70.  Had I not spoken up, I might have unnecessarily been given a larger dose of my BP meds.

If you have your BP taken 10 times in a relatively short period of time you will likely get 10 different readings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

People freak out here too. Grocery stores have been packed for 3 days straight.

Thanks I am now inclined to at least have them file it with my insurance.

I stopped at the Neighborhood market tonight to pick up a script for the DW, and as I walked in I looked at the cooler beer just behind the produce and it was completely wiped out.  Here in SW MO it will be tomorrow morning and more likely tomorrow afternoon before there is even a hint of a problem.  I am not even sure we are going to have an event the ground is warm as it has been in the 60s the last two days, and was in the 50s all weekend.  It may be a big storm, but it is not playing that way on the frontside.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm still old school and pack books.  I used to always leave my used books in the library on ships but was closed on our last sailing.

Yup, I always have my small bag with shampoo/conditioner, body wash, body lotion, sunscreen, tums, bandaids, ointments, etc etc etc and always asked if I have to have 2 bags.

I always bring books on cruises,re-read them and leave them in a lounge for other people to read.

• Like 3

On a very very sad note, the cruise line is pushing book your pre cruise things now, because they are going to go up tomorrow, so I dutifully booked a few shore excursions… there was a dune buggy… a 4x4 ride, I own a Jeep Rubicon, and they wouldn’t let me book the excursion because we are over 60… *****!!!!!!!   

I am suddenly realizing I am ancient old…….

*****!!!!

jc

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, George C said:

My parents were not huge picture takers and some of the pictures have head’s missing but still have a pretty good number, he had them in slides which I got transferred to Betamax then to vhs then to dvds. My mom still has picture albums going back about a hundred years, sad thing is we do not know who are in most of these pictures. I also have a copy of the passport my grandfather used in mid 1920’s to visit Italy, he was born during our civil war and my grandmother was born in 1870 and lived to 1966, she had my dad when she was 47 , he was born in 1917, both immigrated early 1890’s from Sicily. 

I have 300 pictures that belonged to my parents.I can identify about 50 people.

I never knew my grandparents.If my father was alive now he would be 126

and my mother would be 115.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

On a very very sad note, the cruise line is pushing book your pre cruise things now, because they are going to go up tomorrow, so I dutifully booked a few shore excursions… there was a dune buggy… a 4x4 ride, I own a Jeep Rubicon, and they wouldn’t let me book the excursion because we are over 60… *****!!!!!!!   

*****!!!!

jc

If you are ancient old how would I be described ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

My first drink for this cruise was for sail away in Cozumel. I will definitely be making up for it.

20220201_180344.thumb.jpg.f840f0d448a661261240d0bce9886d30.jpg

Oops, this wasn't my first drink of the cruise. I had one at the top tier party. How easily I forgot. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

😢I hope you and Eric have had and will continue to have a happy life. 
It’s really sad when children don’t have a motherly mother. 
I know that from personal experience. 
I hope Eric had enough love from his dad to make his childhood a happy one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

*****!!!!

jc

I am 25 years older than you. I guess they wouldn’t let me even look at a dune buggy. 
i rode on the back of an  ATV out in the country in Alabama four years ago. 
glad there was nobody to say no!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2