Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Blasphemy! I don't put much stock in magazines that try and rate artists. They are all different. You can't compare, plus as time goes technique advances. The drummers now can do things that drummers 20 years could not do. I think if you ask any drummer who is knowledgeable about the history of drumming would say that Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time.

My hot take....

Besides having one of the best voices in music history, Karen Carpenter was a better drummer than most on any "best drummers of all time" list.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

16B155DD-AFFC-4628-B473-8961B3D9A57A.thumb.jpeg.1efa08f8bff77c3f54d1602220ac4ea0.jpeg

We had a storm develop this afternoon while I was out taking Wattle photos.  Our area is a sea of yellow.  You know Spring is just around the corner when the Wattle flowers. 

3EFF3959-2A3D-43F7-AE4B-150ED061A4A5.thumb.jpeg.1e724694e37a7bad7c3560f0e54230b0.jpeg

CBAD386E-A3CE-4B73-AC5B-4AEE2F9FC9EB.thumb.jpeg.65b68cc28a2e58ce146c9dbc04cfde06.jpeg

AF25132E-B3D1-44BB-A2C1-B7CFCCCBF65B.thumb.jpeg.24df0838701ca00f78dbb0232f0533c0.jpeg

I remember streets lined with wattle trees in Canberra. It was a gorgeous sight!

Thanks for sharing these photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ownedbypets said:
15 hours ago, George C said:

I looked most coins up on internet then took them to a coin dealer and they offered me about same thing I got from internet . This was ten years ago. Could always use a couple of thousand towards are upcoming cruises. Will keep some coins as a investment. I have a relative who offered me what coin dealer said they were worth. 

My husband is a coin collector and does the same thing but also goes to coin shows. Quite a few of the people there are very helpful and have told him what is the absolute lowest he should sell for or to hold on to the coin and their opinion usually matches what he has found on the internet. He has sold some stuff, at the shows, above what he was told it was worth. I inherited a ring that I actually thought was costume jewelry. I took it to a local jeweler to find out if it was real before getting rid of it. It was real and offered me $500. I declined. I took it to the next coin show and showed it to a few vendors. The first few offered me exactly $500 so I kept walking. One said $1000 and I slid that ring over to him so fast and took the cash.Try a coin show for some different opinions, you might get lucky.

One of my neighbors belongs to a local Numismatic Society, basically a fancy name for a coin club, whose members are made up of profession coin dealers as well general hobbyist with their own private collections. They host a monthly auction where people can put their coins up for auction with  minimum bid. Often times, the professionals won't go much above the minimum bid but to a private collector or general hobbyist whose interest in coins is less about making a profit and more personal about  having whatever interest them, will often bid 3 or 4 times above the minimum bid to get a coin they really like.

Also, they do complimentary "no pressure" appraisals although I think they just look up the going price in the internet as well.  Might be something worth checking out.

One thing I found interesting is that where a coin is minted, say Denver vs Philadelphia - may have a big impact on it's value. Also, as someone else noted, don't clean the coin. That grunge/dirt is part of it's history.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Blasphemy! I don't put much stock in magazines that try and rate artists. They are all different. You can't compare, plus as time goes technique advances. The drummers now can do things that drummers 20 years could not do. I think if you ask any drummer who is knowledgeable about the history of drumming would say that Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time.

21st. Century Rock was at one time circulating all over the world.It was primarily a Heavy Metal magazine but the Publisher/Editor Bobby Tuzzeo was a member of a band that played original music as well as music of classic rock bands.They released two albums consisting of a lot of CSN music.Graham Nash saw them live in concert once and was very impressed by their rendition of Almost Cut My Hair.This was told to me personally by Bobby.Prior to developing the magazine he and I were co-workers .When the magazine was in circulation I had a free subscription .

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Greg is much more knowledgeable about drummers than me, but I would agree with him.  Who did that magazine list as their #1 drummer.  And for that matter, who did they put at #3 ahead of Rich?

John Bonham is their number 1.Stewart Copeland number 3.Keith Moon number 5 and David Grohl is number 6.

47 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

You're probably right.  I read somewhere that Buddy Rich was one of Neil Peart's idols and that Neil even incorporated some of Rich's jazz style into his own drumming style.  He did a sort of homage to Rich at the end of that solo video that I posted earlier.

Many people believe that Ron Bushy is the greatest of all time.There have been so many great musicians that it is difficult to pick the number one in my opinion.

• Like 1

Greg  Symphony of the Seas

Eagerly and patiently awaiting your review.

There is no doubt in  my mind it will be the best ever.

In fact, I am sure your thought process already is active in the pre-planning phase.

Take care

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

John Bonham is their number 1.Stewart Copeland number 3.Keith Moon number 5 and David Grohl is number 6.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Many people believe that Ron Bushy is the greatest of all time.There have been so many great musicians that it is difficult to pick the number one in my opinion.

Hard to argue with any of those names making a best of list.  We'd probably just argue over who fits where on the list.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

My hot take....

Besides having one of the best voices in music history, Karen Carpenter was a better drummer than most on any "best drummers of all time" list.

That does sound like a hot take but I can't disagree.  I don't know enough about her as a drummer to say one way or another.  Time to go back to YouTube...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We may have had about 7 sad days in 43 years so that is why happily married for 43 years is about a week after our 43rd anniversary.   

That is great ,John.In January we will hit number 56 of a very happy marriage.When we were dating we found a questionnaire with 100 questions .We answered them independently and we agreed on only 14.

Toby said “opposites attract.” I guess so.Aside from medical problems we have had a great life .

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

How are you "dealing" with being alone for 5 days? 😕

Good so far, but I'm only one day in.  I'll be playing golf a few times, sit by the pool and read a bit, and enjoy some nice restaurants.  We have a few places where we sit at the bar and know the bartenders and regular customers.  I'm not lonely in those places.  I'm also a bit of an introvert and don't mind spending time alone.  We'll see how true that is after 5 days.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Sadly, that is the way it is with most families. When my parents were still alive, it fell upon me & my older sister to do 90% of the care taking while my other 2 siblings seem to always have an excuse as to why they couldn't help out.

I'm not complaining though, looking back, the time I spent with my parents in there final years is (mostly) precious and I feel like the other 2 siblings missed out.

My father had a brother who lost his sight and was in a Home for the Blind in Westchester.His children (3 sons) had no interest in caring for their father.My father who lived In Brooklyn and did not drive went as often as possible to spend time with his brother.He took me with him many times.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

One of my neighbors belongs to a local Numismatic Society, basically a fancy name for a coin club, whose members are made up of profession coin dealers as well general hobbyist with their own private collections. They host a monthly auction where people can put their coins up for auction with  minimum bid. Often times, the professionals won't go much above the minimum bid but to a private collector or general hobbyist whose interest in coins is less about making a profit and more personal about  having whatever interest them, will often bid 3 or 4 times above the minimum bid to get a coin they really like.

Also, they do complimentary "no pressure" appraisals although I think they just look up the going price in the internet as well.  Might be something worth checking out.

One thing I found interesting is that where a coin is minted, say Denver vs Philadelphia - may have a big impact on it's value. Also, as someone else noted, don't clean the coin. That grunge/dirt is part of it's history.

I was a member for many years.Annual meetings were in Manhattan rather than the small town where their newspaper was published.I began collecting coins in 1955.Besides Denver and Philadelphia there are also private minting companies.

Whenever we were in a cruise port city I would always visit a mint .My favorite is Bermuda.My wife bought me a silver Proof coin one time.

I bought myself Proof coins in Canada and other places we vacationed in.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Hard to argue with any of those names making a best of list.  We'd probably just argue over who fits where on the list.

I have attended concerts from 1962 to 2015 .Exactly how many I have no idea.I kept ticket stubs from many of the really great ones .People have asked me over the years who was the best musician or best singer and it is very difficult to pick just one.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

You're probably right.  I read somewhere that Buddy Rich was one of Neil Peart's idols and that Neil even incorporated some of Rich's jazz style into his own drumming style.  He did a sort of homage to Rich at the end of that solo video that I posted earlier.

I read that before. He even at the request of Buddy Rich's daughter played on an album called "Burning For Buddy." Here is a clip of Neil playing with the Buddy Rich Big Band on a tune called "Cottontale."

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

My hot take....

Karen was a fabulous drummer and said it depressed her when people would not take her drumming skills seriously.

55 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Horrible list and ridiculous to even have a list. All are excellent drummers that are completely different in their own styles and techniques.

44 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was so obsessed with the drum solo in "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," that I wrote it out note for note.

36 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That does sound like a hot take but I can't disagree.  I don't know enough about her as a drummer to say one way or another.  Time to go back to YouTube...

I like this one from their first television special.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

My husband is a member of the Numismatic Society. I don't have an interest but have learned a little through tagging along to shows. Anything that you do to the coin, like cleaning , takes the value down. My husband was excited when my mom mentioned that she had a $20 gold piece and then his heart sank when he saw that she had it made into a necklace.

• Like 4