Jump to content

Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ORV said:

What's a 3rd party dispute? Sounds like you're going after someone other than the cruise line, which is who the charge is to. 

IMO, that ABoatNerd  post is a little off the mark. 

 

If you paid a TA for your cruise (I.e., the TA's name is what appears on the charge on your credit card statement (as we've seen in quite a few U.K. posts), that it's a third party is irrelevant. The TA charged your card and, therefore, it is the TA's charge you are disputing.

 

Further, the disputed amount "credit" that quickly appears on your card when your paperwork justifies that dispute is only temporary. The vendor then has 30 or more days to explain their defense to the CC issuer. If things ultimately go your way, the temp credit becomes permanent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, that ABoatNerd  post is a little off the mark. 

 

If you paid a TA for your cruise (I.e., the TA's name is what appears on the charge on your credit card statement (as we've seen in quite a few U.K. posts), that it's a third party is irrelevant. The TA charged your card and, therefore, it is the TA's charge you are disputing.

 

Further, the disputed amount "credit" that quickly appears on your card when your paperwork justifies that dispute is only temporary. The vendor then has 30 or more days to explain their defense to the CC issuer. If things ultimately go your way, the temp credit becomes permanent.

Yeah, I kinda of understand all that. I wanted Aboatnerd to explain his reasoning. Apparently he pays his TA instead of the cruise line, or has some angle that only smart people like him understand. Otherwise it makes no sense to go after a TA if my charge is to Oceania. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

ORV, a "third party dispute" is where the person you contracted with (TA), is considered the 3rd party after the customer and the service provider. The TA is in default because they do not have the money and can not provide you with your deposit return.

 

My credit card company leaped into action. I had my deposit returned on my credit card in 2 days after submitting my paperwork. It is held there for 45 days or less. The card company goes after the cruise line - I am not involved anymore. 

 

The credit card company considers 30 -45 days as maximum for withholding a customers funds. So when one has paperwork from the TA saying "in excess of 90 days" - well game over for the cruise line.

 

Highly effective approach to deal with the continuous delays of refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Get to your credit card company and initiate a "third party dispute". 

 

I got my deposit $ back from another cruise line on my card in 2 days after I submitted my paperwork.

 

With the news of NCL do not bother waiting for them.

 

 

A couple of questions - what card and did they give you a temporary credit while the matter is being investigated or a permanent refund.

What if Oceania gives you a refund as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

ORV, a "third party dispute" is where the person you contracted with (TA), is considered the 3rd party after the customer and the service provider. The TA is in default because they do not have the money and can not provide you with your deposit return.

 

My credit card company leaped into action. I had my deposit returned on my credit card in 2 days after submitting my paperwork. It is held there for 45 days or less. The card company goes after the cruise line - I am not involved anymore. 

 

The credit card company considers 30 -45 days as maximum for withholding a customers funds. So when one has paperwork from the TA saying "in excess of 90 days" - well game over for the cruise line.

 

Highly effective approach to deal with the continuous delays of refunds.

Unless the a TA who charged your card directly (rather than passing your CC info to the cruise line for its charge action) has gone out of business, it is that TA who will eventually have its revenue tapped by the CC issuer to make your temp credit permanent. If the TA is no longer in business, the CC issuer will cover the loss if your CC has "purchase protection" insurance OR it may eat the charge as a good will gesture OR it may chase down the cruise line if there's evidence that the cruise line did not return it to the TA.

Note that one of the current problems (in the U.K.) appears to be that the cruise line has refunded passenger's money to the TA but the TA is sitting on it or keeping part of it as a cancellation fee (rightfully or wrongfully by U.K. law).

Link to post
Share on other sites

JMO

 I think disputing the charge  before  say 60 days  is  just slowing the processing down for many others waiting for refunds

 The cruise line now has to pull staff off the refund  to challenge the dispute from the CC

YMMV

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oceania initially pulled a fast one by offering Cancellations with only a FCC--many

went for it incl myself------only to learn later that had we waited we would then have been given the option of a full 'Cash' Refund.

 

Everyone who jumped at the first Offer is now holding a FCC to be used in 2? years

if we are still alive-----if Oceania still operates----while they keep every dollar from everyone who had fully paid-up Cruises at that moment.

 

So IMO not so easy to be continue being patient for other Refunds---40 days after cancelling 2012 Cruise our CCard Bank reversed another $12000 Deposit within 24 hours of being asked. Cannot see how Oceania can 'challenge' what some might call a 'dispute'

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dick Barton said:

Oceania initially pulled a fast one by offering Cancellations with only a FCC--many

went for it incl myself------only to learn later that had we waited we would then have been given the option of a full 'Cash' Refund.

 

Everyone who jumped at the first Offer is now holding a FCC to be used in 2? years

if we are still alive-----if Oceania still operates----while they keep every dollar from everyone who had fully paid-up Cruises at that moment.

 

So IMO not so easy to be continue being patient for other Refunds---40 days after cancelling 2012 Cruise our CCard Bank reversed another $12000 Deposit within 24 hours of being asked. Cannot see how Oceania can 'challenge' what some might call a 'dispute'

I just can't see how Oceania "pulled a fast one."

 

Your Ticket Contract (T&Cs) clearly states that, if O cancels, you can have a 100% refund of the cruise fare paid (whether it's a deposit, final pay or both (plus all other O products you have purchased (e.g., excursions). It also lays out the penalty schedule if you choose to cancel. Remember, Oceania, at their discretion, chose to offer you an FCC if YOU decided to bail out early. They didn't have to offer you anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

a Fast One------yes-------if Oceania KNEW on the day they made the original Offer which I and countless others accepted-------that a cancellation on their part of March/April Cruises was inevitable.----lots of Cash to be saved by waiting for the initial FCC-Only

offer to be taken up..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started this board thread....now 60 days after my initial refund for monies paid to Oceania for tours, etc. Still waiting........

 

Note: Cruise Critic encourages TA's and even employees of the cruise lines to participate in these boards....read the rules....no problem. However,  where I believe Cruise Critic falls short is that there is no requirement that TA's and Cruise Line Employees specifically identify themselves to other board members as "biased" posters. There are some that are easily identified....never, ever a negative word about cruising....pretty easy to spot. Cruise Critic should really require "agents" of the cruise lines to identify themselves as such to make this a much more transparent discussion.

Edited by Pster55
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pster55,

Thank you for starting this thread. 

I check in every day in hopes that CC members will start reporting that they are receiving their refunds from O for canceled cruises.

With NCLH recently securing over $2 Billion, I am hopeful that the refunds will start coming through soon.

I still have a little over 5 weeks before the 90 days is up from when we requested our refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pster55 said:

Note: Cruise Critic encourages TA's and even employees of the cruise lines to participate in these boards....read the rules....no problem. However,  where I believe Cruise Critic falls short is that there is no requirement that TA's and Cruise Line Employees specifically identify themselves to other board members as "biased" posters.

They do have rules for TA's

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/guidelines/#guides_travelagents

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, as I stated in my post...there are rules for their participation - I never said there weren't. But I see nothing that says TA's or Cruise Line Employees must identify themselves as such. Please let me know if I am incorrect on  this point. My comment has nothing to do with thier limitations of advertising, etc. - I could care less. What I am interested in is knowing which posts might well be biased..for obvious reasons.

Edited by Pster55
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

Yes, as I stated in my post...there are rules for their participation - I never said there weren't. But I see nothing that says TA's or Cruise Line Employees must identify themselves as such. Please let me know if I am incorrect on  this point. My comment has nothing to do with thier limitations of advertising, etc. - I could care less. What I am interested in is knowing which posts might well be biased..for obvious reasons.

Some have  posted in the past they were in the business & then were  banned or got  a time out 

so maybe they are gun shy LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

We received a cancellation confirmation from O just 2 weeks ago for our May cruise which we cancelled in mid March. The cancellation invoice is dated 26 March. To date no credits received on either credit card used for the transactions. Our TA is chasing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jo-b said:

We received a cancellation confirmation from O just 2 weeks ago for our May cruise which we cancelled in mid March. The cancellation invoice is dated 26 March. To date no credits received on either credit card used for the transactions. Our TA is chasing. 

 

45 minutes ago, jo-b said:

We received a cancellation confirmation from O just 2 weeks ago for our May cruise which we cancelled in mid March. The cancellation invoice is dated 26 March. To date no credits received on either credit card used for the transactions. Our TA is chasing. 

 MY conformation Cancellation was 13/04/20  I have made a claim through my credit card for a charge back as they have told me I will have to wait 90 days for my money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger B

 

looks like UK Banks operate differently to the big 5 in Canada--am surprised

 

Within 24 hours of submitting a formal ChargeBack Claim---with email backup evidence--the full amnt of a large deposit was showing as a Credit on my Visa Card-----that allowed me to obtain from that Bank a Draft for the full amnt which I was able to deposit in my normal Deposit Account in another Bank.

 

No waiting 90? days

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dick Barton said:

Roger B

 

looks like UK Banks operate differently to the big 5 in Canada--am surprised

 

Within 24 hours of submitting a formal ChargeBack Claim---with email backup evidence--the full amnt of a large deposit was showing as a Credit on my Visa Card-----that allowed me to obtain from that Bank a Draft for the full amnt which I was able to deposit in my normal Deposit Account in another Bank.

 

No waiting 90? days

 

 

So, basically, you took a "cash advance" from your credit card (since that "credit" you received is temporary until the vendor has been allowed to respond). Hopefully, the credit will become permanent within the bank specified time span.

If not, you'll probably be looking at interest charges until you replace the money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

So, basically, you took a "cash advance" from your credit card (since that "credit" you received is temporary until the vendor has been allowed to respond). Hopefully, the credit will become permanent within the bank specified time span.

If not, you'll probably be looking at interest charges until you replace the money.

It is also my understanding that the "credit" one receives after a dispute is temporary. The bank then investigates the complaint.

If the merchant - in this case Oceania - pays up, whenever they do, the temporary credit is removed. The dispute might make O respond faster than 90 days (I believe they have either 30 or 60 days to reply). If they do not reply in that time the credit becomes permanent. If the merchant does not reimburse the client then the credit also becomes permanent.

It is similar with insurance companies. If you file a claim and provide required evidence that O promises to pay back in full in 90 days, the insurance company doesn't pay out instantly - they wait the 90 days to see what happens.

45 minutes ago, Dick Barton said:

Within 24 hours of submitting a formal ChargeBack Claim---with email backup evidence--the full amnt of a large deposit was showing as a Credit on my Visa Card-----that allowed me to obtain from that Bank a Draft for the full amnt which I was able to deposit in my normal Deposit Account in another Bank.

 

No waiting 90? days

So what happens if Oceania pays you back in 90 days?

You may be in for a big surprise as explained above by FF. Your withdrawal may be treated as a cash advance with high interest rate from the date of withdrawal.

Edited by Paulchili
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Barton said:

Roger B

 

looks like UK Banks operate differently to the big 5 in Canada--am surprised

 

Within 24 hours of submitting a formal ChargeBack Claim---with email backup evidence--the full amnt of a large deposit was showing as a Credit on my Visa Card-----that allowed me to obtain from that Bank a Draft for the full amnt which I was able to deposit in my normal Deposit Account in another Bank.

 

No waiting 90? days

 

 

Having spoken to Amex I have only started a dispute  and if the don't  get an answer  within 4 weeks to my claim they will give me they money back as there is no question that Oceania owe me the money. I exspect a positive outcome if they pay before hand all well and good , I got very nervous  of being an unsecured  creditor ealier this week when the talk  was bankruptcy . 

         I thought that this was the way to go as tour operators in U.K are bound by law to refund within 14 days for cancelled bòkings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, roger b said:

Having spoken to Amex I have only started a dispute  and if the don't  get an answer  within 4 weeks to my claim they will give me they money back as there is no question that Oceania owe me the money. I exspect a positive outcome if they pay before hand all well and good , I got very nervous  of being an unsecured  creditor ealier this week when the talk  was bankruptcy . 

         I thought that this was the way to go as tour operators in U.K are bound by law to refund within 14 days for cancelled bòkings.

That is one way to "speed up" your refund but don't use that temporary credit until it is final - one way or another.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paulchili.

You are right. The CC issues a temp credit to ones card while the investigation proceeds. My card company has given the cruise line 45 days. If the cruise line provides me with my refund within that time frame, it is posted to my card. If they do not, then the credit card company makes the refund permanent.

 

During this process the refund is temporary and should not be touched in ones account. 

 

The card company saw my TA's email to me indicating "over 90 days" and they indicated that is not acceptable.

 

This process gives the cruise line a chance to do right by the consumer, but in the end if they fail, the CC pays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

Paulchili.

You are right. The CC issues a temp credit to ones card while the investigation proceeds. My card company has given the cruise line 45 days. If the cruise line provides me with my refund within that time frame, it is posted to my card. If they do not, then the credit card company makes the refund permanent.

 

During this process the refund is temporary and should not be touched in ones account. 

 

The card company saw my TA's email to me indicating "over 90 days" and they indicated that is not acceptable.

 

This process gives the cruise line a chance to do right by the consumer, but in the end if they fail, the CC pays.

Where I am confused is that the entry on my CC is to the TA, not O. Funds are in the TA’s Trust a/c before being passed to O.
 

Doesn’t the CC charge against the TA who will then be out of pocket until O pay them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DJP31 said:

Where I am confused is that the entry on my CC is to the TA, not O. Funds are in the TA’s Trust a/c before being passed to O.
 

Doesn’t the CC charge against the TA who will then be out of pocket until O pay them?

Have the same question.....thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJP31 said:

Where I am confused is that the entry on my CC is to the TA, not O. Funds are in the TA’s Trust a/c before being passed to O.
 

Doesn’t the CC charge against the TA who will then be out of pocket until O pay them?

The UK  seems to do things differently

 Here  all payments go to Oceania   NOT my TA

 

So in your case   yes once the payment goes back to YOUR TA they  are responsible to refund you

I would never  let the TA  charge my account their agency  but  as I say things work differently in the UK

Hopefully someone  in the UK will give their opinion

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...