Would you book a future cruise if $25 deposits were announced?

LiveToCruise99

2 hours ago, Orator said:

I won't book at any price unless the restrictions are removed.

Sorry @Orator what restrictions are you thinking about?  Age perhaps?

I would consider it.  Maybe for 2021 or 2022.  I have a December cruise that I haven't canceled yet.  I'm waiting to see if X cancels it first.  But I understand that any FCC is only good for a year so I'd be looking at a cruise in Dec 2021 perhaps?  I do have CFAR so worst case I lose 25%.

I was at my MD's office last week for a physical and he said that he would sign a form since he felt I was good to go. However, the mere existence of a requirement for a doctor to sign the form indicates to me that the cruise lines feel that it is unsafe for some to cruise and they need some legal cover. A sign that they feel it's safe to cruise will be if they no longer require the form and that's when I'll book. 

• Like 4

I would consider booking with such a low deposit ....

If the deposit is refundable

If the cruise is a long,long way off

If I will be in good health enough to be deemed to travel

If the itinerary is interesting- no Bahamas,please 

If my IRA and other retirement investments are stable or better

Lots of ifs....

😉

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

If a $25 deposit is enough to make you to book, you shouldn't be spending money on a cruise.  You should be consulting your finances.

I agree with ECCruiser - a lower deposit I got of $250 a last year was nice, but wasn’t the ‘decider’ for me. I either book a refundable which then the price isn’t an issue, or if non-refundable I book that type on a Line that I’ll use again. I had to change a ‘nonrefundable’ and my TA called and got them to move all over to another itinerary with no hit. Which I think is pretty common.

With all that said, no a $25 deposit isn’t part of my decision-making......when COVID is under control; itinerary; Line; full cost; timing. that’s the issues right now. And yeah, I’m over 70 but dont’t sweat any restrictions since if I think a Dr wouldn’t approve me going and not sign some certificate, I shouldn’t be cruising, now should I. 

Den

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm with you.  The deposit amount is not an issue for me.  The issue is:  Will Celebrity allow me to board the ship?

This is all very sad.  I LOVE cruising.  I had 60 nights booked this year.

I love cruising too my March 15th was cancelled and I cancelled my Mediterranean and Bermuda cruises.  Would have booked another Caribbean for the fall but all is a no go for now.  The restrictions for 70 plus is temporary I hope but no one knows how all of this will play out.  

26 minutes ago, scrabble6 said:

Interesting question!

This year -- No, never.

Next year -- Maybe.  I would possibly book something late in 2011

In 2012 -- absolutely!

For $25 I'd even do NRD.  

I was going to ask to borrow your time machine, but then I realized this was just a typo.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I was going to ask to borrow your time machine, but then I realized this was just a typo.

Yikes!  Yes that should be possibly late in 2021 and absolutely for 2022...

Thanks 🙂

(Can't go out in the time machine anyway right now---we're locked down)

1 hour ago, medtech71 said:

Yes.

This should mostly be over by Aug and a distant memory by October.

I’ve not been into the ‘the end of the world is coming!’ But I don’t see anyway this will be over in August. We won’t be stuck at home, but over? On another thread, I wrote that all this talk about reaching a ‘peak’ sounds good, but a peak means it just crests and may stay at a plateau and has a downslope which may well take as long or longer to slowly decrease. And the peak will differ for many areas. Also, being a viral disease, there’s excellent chance of it coming back in the Fall/Winter and this is said by a guy holding onto his TA on the Apex in Oct. 

So I’d just wait it out But mostly over by Aug and a distant memory??? Only for those of us who are not out of work and who will face many months to recover financially. And a Distant Memory especially for those who have and Will lose loved ones or who go through recovery? yeah, right.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

It would take a lot more than $25 deposit at this point. There's just too much uncertainty on so many levels. 

In my big city bubble people are taking stay at home orders and and precautions very seriously. But when I talk to family living in more rural areas that think they are invincible because they don't have the population density we do, it concerns me a lot. I think the outlying areas will eventually get hit hard. I don't trust people to use their best judgement in order to avoid exposing an entire ship just because they don't want to miss their vacation. Our next cruise is 10 months away and unless things improve and stabilize drastically, I can't foresee us following through. 

• Like 1