CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

15 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Lovely. - Bilbao. Is on my bucket list but I have to fly

I know there are lots of nice things to do around Bilbao, possibly most notably the Guggenheim, but so far it has just been a port to us, we will on our way to Moraira as soon as we are released from the ship, about 7 hours drive, a quick unpack then arrange meeting friends at a bar near the marina.

18 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

I know there are lots of nice things to do around Bilbao, possibly most notably the Guggenheim, but so far it has just been a port to us, we will on our way to Moraira as soon as we are released from the ship, about 7 hours drive, a quick unpack then arrange meeting friends at a bar near the marina.

Oh well I am sure you will enjoy it anyway.  😁

I have to get to the north coast of Spain, there are several holidays there just waiting to be had.  My husband is a life-long Athletico Bilbao supporter and the food up there is supposed to be first class.    

My problem is that I am the only driver in the family and I struggle to get very far in a day.  I drove to Jaen a couple of years ago.  It was a great trip but I could not have got any further in a day.  I have to make it into a two week trip.  I think that once we are able to do more travelling, since I am not willing to jump straight back into a cruise ship this should be the time.  Maybe next spring.  

How about the Brittany ferry to Santander?  It takes you right there and then you can do the whole northern coast.  San Sebastian is lovely and so are some of the other little ports.  Actually I think there is a Portsmouth Bilbao one as well.

Edited by jeanlyon

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

How about the Brittany ferry to Santander?  It takes you right there and then you can do the whole northern coast.  San Sebastian is lovely and so are some of the other little ports.  Actually I think there is a Portsmouth Bilbao one as well.

Jean, Ollienbertsmum lives in Gibraltar, so doesn't need a ferry! 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Oh well I am sure you will enjoy it anyway.  😁

I have to get to the north coast of Spain, there are several holidays there just waiting to be had.  My husband is a life-long Athletico Bilbao supporter and the food up there is supposed to be first class.    

My problem is that I am the only driver in the family and I struggle to get very far in a day.  I drove to Jaen a couple of years ago.  It was a great trip but I could not have got any further in a day.  I have to make it into a two week trip.  I think that once we are able to do more travelling, since I am not willing to jump straight back into a cruise ship this should be the time.  Maybe next spring.  

Bilbao is available to you by train by the looks of it and judging by our previous few years of rushing through Bilbao it is becoming quite pedestrianised (Confuses my old sat nav) Might be worth considering doing the trip without your car? Perhaps a stop over in Madrid for a day or two?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Nothing on the CCs today, nothing in the post, had enough of this.

Court claim issued. £105 invested so far, will keep you posted.

image.png.9cfa32875f85c6c4cce51999b875d3b4.png

Not wasted as there can’t be any defence and it’s added on to the claim. 

• Like 2

I do hope that this triggers P&O in to making good your refund plus of course your additional outlay, as is automatically included within the claim amount.  I should imagine that they will settle the matter now.

May I ask, have you also requested statutory interest to be added to the amount of the refund, backdated to the fourteenth day (when the refund should have been provided at worst)? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I do hope that this triggers P&O in to making good your refund plus of course your additional outlay, as is automatically included within the claim amount.  I should imagine that they will settle the matter now.

May I ask, have you also requested statutory interest to be added to the amount of the refund, backdated to the fourteenth day (when the refund should have been provided at worst)? 

I looked into that when I sent my notice before action and drafted my claim and concluded that you can only include an interest charge going forward from the claim, not historical. I stand to be corrected. 

4 minutes ago, staygulf said:

I looked into that when I sent my notice before action and drafted my claim and concluded that you can only include an interest charge going forward from the claim, not historical. I stand to be corrected. 

Thank you for this.

So it appears that it is in Carnival's interest to settle the claim immediately from Day 105 now to avoid a per day charge on the sum, but they will have "successfully" dodged the issue for the 91 days excess statutory interest.

The reason I raise this is that although normal rates are 0.1%, I believe that I am correct in saying that the statutory interest is 8%, which could come to several hundred pounds if Carnival choose to delay settlement until the point of enforcement of the debt, following any delayed response and judgement by default. 

In the grand scheme of things this is peanuts for a company that size, but this may start to restore the balance for the terrible customer service which led to this approach being seen as necessary to recover the sum owed.

20 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Thank you for this.

So it appears that it is in Carnival's interest to settle the claim immediately from Day 105 now to avoid a per day charge on the sum, but they will have "successfully" dodged the issue for the 91 days excess statutory interest.

The reason I raise this is that although normal rates are 0.1%, I believe that I am correct in saying that the statutory interest is 8%, which could come to several hundred pounds if Carnival choose to delay settlement until the point of enforcement of the debt, following any delayed response and judgement by default. 

In the grand scheme of things this is peanuts for a company that size, but this may start to restore the balance for the terrible customer service which led to this approach being seen as necessary to recover the sum owed.

I think for business debts you can claim from the time the debt is due but for non commercial debts it is from the claim form

EA4EA0FE-470C-4C88-B958-973FED366F6C.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Didn't even consider the interest, just want the original back and any expenses going forward, I have a well documented case so there is no valid defence but I have no problem with going to the court if need be, I have plenty of criminal and civil court experience so not flustered at the thought. (Through employment and 10 years as a hobby bobby) I would imagine they will pay up just in time, most likely forgetting the court fees, in which case I would log the monies received and seek judgement by admission on the balance.

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Didn't even consider the interest, just want the original back and any expenses going forward, I have a well documented case so there is no valid defence but I have no problem with going to the court if need be, I have plenty of criminal and civil court experience so not flustered at the thought. (Through employment and 10 years as a hobby bobby) I would imagine they will pay up just in time, most likely forgetting the court fees, in which case I would log the monies received and seek judgement by admission on the balance.

Thank you for your reply. 

Good luck - I concur with you that there appears to be no reason why they should seek to do anything other than settle for the sum requested.  👍

I have no such experience of legal recourse processes, but it appears that you will be well placed to answer any correspondence that they do send.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No pager thank you said:

Pain and suffering should be added.

7 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Nothing on the CCs today, nothing in the post, had enough of this.

Court claim issued. £105 invested so far, will keep you posted.

image.png.9cfa32875f85c6c4cce51999b875d3b4.png

Day 92 for me, can you confirm it is Carnival PLC you list as the defendant rather than P&O Cruises IK

12 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

Day 92 for me, can you confirm it is Carnival PLC you list as the defendant rather than P&O Cruises IK

If you look at your booking confirmation down the bottom of the page it tells you P&O Cruises is a business name of Carnival PLC. So if  you take action it should be to the registered company rather than a business/trading name. 

Martin Lewis is doing a survey on Travel Cancellation refunds, this is an update to the one he did 2 months ago. Trying to find out which ones are still tardy with refunds. The last survey had 27,000 responses. The survey is for both those waiting for refunds and those who have received them

https://www.surveygizmo.eu/s3/90251758/MSE-Travel-refund-experiences-survey

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

If you look at your booking confirmation down the bottom of the page it tells you P&O Cruises is a business name of Carnival PLC. So if  you take action it should be to the registered company rather than a business/trading name. 

Thanks for that, I will be starting my legal claim online if nothing recieved by this Friday.

Edited by kevcharben

Feels ridiculous to be celebrating getting my own money back... but finally received my refund this evening on day 68

The saga is over... for me. I informed them I’d instigated a chargeback and they suddenly paid up after stonewalling me for 2 weeks. Sent me my refund ‘invoice’ on Thursday and refund landed at about 8pm tonight.

Thanks to all in this group for giving me someone to bounce my anger and frustration off for the past few months. I know the workers don’t deserve to be caught up in all this, but P&O will never get a penny out of me for as long as I live. It’s not entirely the wait for the refund that has frustrated me so much, but the absolute lack of organisation and communication to their customers. Let’s not forget, we aren’t talking about a couple of hundred pounds here, we are talking thousands and thousands of people’s hard earned money, and yet they consistently made us feel like we were stepping out of line for wanting it returned to us.

Disgusting. Again, I hope the workers are doing alright, but there’s a part of me that really wants to see the smug condescending grin wiped off that Ludlows rylanesque face. And also I wouldn’t be upset to see the tinted spec brigade lose their money if P&Owe go bust, and maybe they might finally see that they have also been taken for mugs.

Good luck to everyone else waiting... but again, I find it ridiculous that we even have to talk in those terms about our own bloody money. I won’t miss checking my bank accounts multiple times per day, that’s for sure.

Stay safe everyone, and whenever you do indeed finally get on your next holiday, be it cruise or otherwise... I hope you have the very best time possible

• Like 4