What will be different on your next carnival cruise?

geckoaz

Will they implement later sail away (7 pm) to allow for longer/better cleaning between sailings. Turning the ship over in about 3 hours for Buffet and 4 hours for cabins is pushing it. I know they've been doing it for years.

Times have/will change certain procedures.

That would also allow for spacing pax out to board. 

41 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Will they implement later sail away (7 pm) to allow for longer/better cleaning between sailings. Turning the ship over in about 3 hours for Buffet and 4 hours for cabins is pushing it. I know they've been doing it for years.

I dont see how they possibly turn over so fast now! It amazes me everytime I tearfully walk the plank leaving a cruise, gazing jealously at the people already lined up to board and steal the fun I just had, how they turn it over so fast! I was one of the last off of my cruise in January and it was almost 10am. Even having the rooms ready by 1pm just amazes me. I never see the amount of workers on board that it would take to turn it over that quickly. It's like they magically appear on disembarkation/embarkation day then scurry away and hide for the rest of the cruise.

All of these ideas are good, and would work on private yachts.  But I can't see any of this happening on Carnival (and similar lines) without massive price increases.  The reason the cruises are "inexpensive" is that every inch is filled with a passenger.

So...it's either going to be "limit the capacity" and raise the price or....or bye bye to cruising as we know it.

For me, personally, I was going to book a June 2121 cruise out of NYC (I live here)...but the way things are now....I wouldn't feel comfortable on a ship unless there is a vaccine and everyone is required to prove they had it (no exemptions).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Smooth sailor77228 said:

I dont see how they possibly turn over so fast now! It amazes me everytime I tearfully walk the plank leaving a cruise, gazing jealously at the people already lined up to board and steal the fun I just had, how they turn it over so fast! I was one of the last off of my cruise in January and it was almost 10am. Even having the rooms ready by 1pm just amazes me. I never see the amount of workers on board that it would take to turn it over that quickly. It's like they magically appear on disembarkation/embarkation day then scurry away and hide for the rest of the cruise.

Exactly , that's why moving sailing back to 7pm would give more time to accomplish it. 

The best scenario for cleaning would be to sail the next day, but that's not going to happen.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

All of these ideas are good, and would work on private yachts.  But I can't see any of this happening on Carnival (and similar lines) without massive price increases.  The reason the cruises are "inexpensive" is that every inch is filled with a passenger.

So...it's either going to be "limit the capacity" and raise the price or....or bye bye to cruising as we know it.

For me, personally, I was going to book a June 2121 cruise out of NYC (I live here)...but the way things are now....I wouldn't feel comfortable on a ship unless there is a vaccine and everyone is required to prove they had it (no exemptions).

Never happen

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Not a bad idea, there is little doubt things will change. 

On 4/11/2020 at 8:14 PM, jperry2011 said:

I predict they may put less people on the ships to start off with but before long everyone will realize this virus isn't half as bad as the media is making it out to be. We will all be back to normal cruising by fall.

Quick question  The Media made it it out to worse than it is ????  How many people died in this country   ?????    Everything will be back to normal by the Fall  ?????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Never happen

Two months ago....if someone said that a virus would do what this is doing.....I'd not only say...but I'd bet my life that it would "never happen".

Businesses have been known to shut down....whole industries have known to end.

Ships won't sail until they can sail safely.  Spreading out lounge chairs, having servers in the buffet.....it's a joke.  Only a required vaccine can "possibly guarantee" safe cruising.

I like coming to this forum because some of you are so positive (and I get to laugh)....thinking that it's just media hype.  "You" should have come with me yesterday when I had to take my husband to the ER, for the covid test.  He hadn't been outside for 4 weeks.  It was the first time he saw no traffic, no stores (other than the supermarket) open, only a handful of people on the street, all in masks...he even commented how people moved away to keep that 6 feet.  This is Manhattan, NYC. 

As I post this I'm waiting for the 7pm nightly salute to health care workers........

BTW....the only reason that "you" aren't affected in other areas is because of the social distancing, staying home and business closures.  If "you" had business as usual...they "you'd" be making that trip to the ER too.

33 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Two months ago....if someone said that a virus would do what this is doing.....I'd not only say...but I'd bet my life that it would "never happen".

Businesses have been known to shut down....whole industries have known to end.

Ships won't sail until they can sail safely.  Spreading out lounge chairs, having servers in the buffet.....it's a joke.  Only a required vaccine can "possibly guarantee" safe cruising.

I like coming to this forum because some of you are so positive (and I get to laugh)....thinking that it's just media hype.  "You" should have come with me yesterday when I had to take my husband to the ER, for the covid test.  He hadn't been outside for 4 weeks.  It was the first time he saw no traffic, no stores (other than the supermarket) open, only a handful of people on the street, all in masks...he even commented how people moved away to keep that 6 feet.  This is Manhattan, NYC. 

As I post this I'm waiting for the 7pm nightly salute to health care workers........

BTW....the only reason that "you" aren't affected in other areas is because of the social distancing, staying home and business closures.  If "you" had business as usual...they "you'd" be making that trip to the ER too.

Not sure what the heck where I live has to do with anything, nobody is immune from this.  No one is arguing against the mitigation efforts.  I am not arguing that ships will sail before they have mitigated the concerns.  I can guaranty you that ships will sail before there is a vaccine, 100%. Living in the city I am sure gives you a perspective not many can appreciate, I am not arguing that.    

27 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not sure what the heck where I live has to do with anything, nobody is immune from this.  No one is arguing against the mitigation efforts.  I am not arguing that ships will sail before they have mitigated the concerns.  I can guaranty you that ships will sail before there is a vaccine, 100%. Living in the city I am sure gives you a perspective not many can appreciate, I am not arguing that.    

Even though I quoted you, it wasn't directed at you.  It was intended for those who think the media is making this to be more than it is.

However, when you said "won't happen"....it may not happen because cruising may not happen.  "Blimps" were supposed to be "a big thing" and a new luxury way to travel back in the 1930s but the Hindenburg disaster ended that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well i started this thread  to discuss how cruising will be different. I have two scheduled. One in october and one next may. Life will be different. The virus is real.

I feel for those suffering medically and financially. But i want to have a spot where folks can discuss changes and hope. I know ships will be cleaner. As the song says "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." But it will be back. Change is a sign of life and i believe the fun ships will be more fun than ever. I might even try a line dance at a deck party. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Even though I quoted you, it wasn't directed at you.  It was intended for those who think the media is making this to be more than it is.

However, when you said "won't happen"....it may not happen because cruising may not happen.  "Blimps" were supposed to be "a big thing" and a new luxury way to travel back in the 1930s but the Hindenburg disaster ended that.

We will see, stay safe up there

14 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I wasn’t around back in the 1930s so I can’t comment on how things were back then. But as a big airplane buff who spent over 20 years in the Air Force, I feel confident saying blimps would not have remained competitive with planes as a means for transportation very long, if at all. 

I also completely disagree with your comment that cursing may be eliminated. I don’t see that happening in any situation. There is no doubt cruising as we know it is going to change, cruises will likely become more expensive for numerous reasons, a cruise line(s) might go out of business, etc., but there is no way the cruising industry is going to disappear. 

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wasn’t around back in the 1930s so I can’t comment on how things were back then. But as a big airplane buff who spent over 20 years in the Air Force, I feel confident saying blimps would not have remained competitive with planes as a means for transportation very long, if at all. 

I also completely disagree with your comment that cursing may be eliminated. I don’t see that happening in any situation. There is no doubt cruising as we know it is going to change, cruises will likely become more expensive for numerous reasons, a cruise line(s) might go out of business, etc., but there is no way the cruising industry is going to disappear. 

I agree with you that cruising in some fashion will continue. I am beginning to think however, that a change in marketing will have to come from the industry to focus away from attracting so many first time cruisers, and concentrating on ever larger ships.

I believe that to some degree a portion of the business will become more focused upon what some refer to as a more traditional experience. Smaller ships, varied itineraries, a higher degree of service (IE: less emphases on attracting the largest number of the lowest common denominator) which will result in higher prices, coupled to a greater value. I think the premium brands might actually be the first to recover, as the large mega ship experiences become harder to sell. I think that coming out of all this, attracting the first time cruiser will be a much harder sell than attracting experienced cruisers who would be willing to pay perhaps a bit more for a perceived greater value.

I believe this revised marketing approach could be aided by port cities limiting the degree of population expansion they are willing to expose themselves to on turn around days. They have proven themselves unprepared to handle the numbers, so rather than gear up they will limit exposure. I think its pretty clear that the ships, in spite of their difficulties, were as well, if not better prepared, than many port cities. New York, San Francisco and Ft. Lauderdale as specific examples.

I think the best way to do this until there is a vaccine is to create a Carnival bubble. Order up a bunch of rapid covid19 tests. Everyone gets tested before boarding. So no restrictions once on board. The problem then becomes releasing that ship full of healthy people into ports. I think the ports all need to be Carnival controlled. Puerta Maya, Amber Cove...lock the gates. Mohogany Bay, Half Moon Cay, Princess Cays. Maybe some of the cruise lines could work out deals to share ports. Let NCL ships use Mohogany Bay. They let CCL ships use Harvest Caye. 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I think they will step up on sanitation of the ship.  

It would be nice if the Carnival ships had sinks with soap and water as you enter the buffet like they did on Harmony of the Seas.  Everyone had to go through these entrances and wash their hands with soap and water before entering the buffet area.  If they can't do this, then stationing servers at the buffet area.  I would prefer servers, although I personally wash my hands with soap and water after handling buffet utensils, but before I eat.

I will say that after 15 cruises, I have never gotten sick on a cruise ship.  I don't think buffet areas are any worse than handrails and elevator buttons.  People need to wash their hands.  

Once there is a vaccine, I think things will get back to normal and this will fade away until the next new virus. i don't see them taking temperatures in the long run, but I could be wrong.  It didn't take any time at all for them to do it on our last cruise.

You don't drink enough on cruises 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Hokiehog said:

You don't drink enough on cruises 🙂

I did get a headache one night after having two strong drinks and realized the drink package would never be a benefit to me.  LOL.  I enjoy a good drink, but my tolerance level is so low because I rarely drink.  I have always managed to get at least a couple of my favorites each cruise, like the Miami Vice and the Chocolate Mocha Getaway. 

On 4/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, beachbum53 said:

I can easily foresee, not just for cruising, but for air travel as well, that once an inoculation for the Corona virus has been developed and proven effective, we will all need some type of shot record to prove that we've been inoculated prior to traveling. Just as it is becoming mandatory to have a passport, it will be mandatory to have proof of inoculation. Those that have chosen not to get an anti-Corona shot will not be allowed to fly on a plane or go on a cruise. 

Can't do it... Many of today's children dont have the smallpox vaccine but can travel anywhere is US... no proof necessary 

It's flu version 50, gang... If you easily get sick, stay home... Let us others have fun...   

21 minutes ago, Hokiehog said:

Can't do it... Many of today's children dont have the smallpox vaccine but can travel anywhere is US... no proof necessary 

It's flu version 50, gang... If you easily get sick, stay home... Let us others have fun...   

It's already been said on the news that Covid-19 is not like any flu we've seen before. Yes, one type or another of a flu virus comes around every year, and people can get a flu shot if they want to. When flu season comes around, you don't see millions of people getting infected, or thousands dying like what is happening with this pandemic.  When you say " If you easily get sick, stay home..." shouldn't the same thing be said about norovirus? Yet every year, people do contract and get sick from norovirus when on a cruise. This pandemic is not like anything we've seen in a very long time. It's been stated more than once that a person could be a carrier of the virus and not be aware of it, or show any outward symptoms, but could easily infect someone else that would get sick and possibly even die from it. I wouldn't be at all surprised that, once a vaccination is developed and found to be 100% effective against Covid-19, it will become mandatory. Yes, there will be those that will refuse to get the vaccination, citing religious beliefs or some other reason. But as deadly as this virus has proven to be, it's entirely possible that certain businesses, amusement parks, airlines, cruise lines and various travel destinations would refuse those that have not been inoculated. 

There is no doubt that the virus is very deadly to many people who are older and also people with certain health conditions. It is also extremely contagious.  It will be interesting to look back a year from now and see a more accurate death rate when they can factor in all of the people who had the virus, yet had no symptoms or had mild symptoms.  More testing is needed to get a more accurate figure of the death rate since it's been discovered that people can have the virus and not show symptoms.  That will eventually lower the stated death rate.  

The first figures to come out were based on the people who tested positive.  Since people who had no symptoms or had mild symptoms were not tested, the death rate stated was higher than the actual death rate.  I hope the US will test as many people as possible once we start reopening the country.

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

There is no doubt that the virus is very deadly to many people who are older and also people with certain health conditions. It is also extremely contagious.  It will be interesting to look back a year from now and see a more accurate death rate when they can factor in all of the people who had the virus, yet had no symptoms or had mild symptoms.  More testing is needed to get a more accurate figure of the death rate since it's been discovered that people can have the virus and not show symptoms.  That will eventually lower the stated death rate.  

The first figures to come out were based on the people who tested positive.  Since people who had no symptoms or had mild symptoms were not tested, the death rate stated was higher than the actual death rate.  I hope the US will test as many people as possible once we start reopening the country.

I no longer believe you can have any faith in the numbers. Since the IHME revised the reporting matrix, the numbers have jumped, chiefly due to not coming close to the numbers their initial models indicated. Now it is all about cooking the books to justify what some are claiming is an over reaction.

It also has to be remembered that year by year the effectiveness of the flu vaccine varies, as the formula is just a guess as to what stain will be that year. This virus, like all others can mutate, meaning the effectiveness of any vaccine developed may be more effective in some cases than others. I doubt there will be any vaccine with a guarantee associated with it.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Sounds like a good idea, but it's not gonna happen.  People get sick "the week of"....not a month before.

Cruiselines are in a Catch-22.  Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Anyway...all of these suggestions are just band-aides. The more I think about it, the less I would want to cruise until a vaccine is available.  Too many people are self-centered. 

MsTabbyKats, you are correct.   Even (((  if  ))) a cruise ship had 100% full of health people headed out to sea.....and then visited the islands here and there, whats stopping someone from picking up something on one of the islands and bringing it back on the ship how would anyone "police" that.   It's just too crazy to think that anyone is safe traveling on a cruise ship within this year or possibly next year.   Now I do know that people are going to travel when they can no matter what - I trust no one, and I have to travel on a plane to visit family myself......I think the only thing that will make me feel safe is when we actually have medication to treat this virus - a vaccine would be better if it worked and that is at least a year off.   I do have a cruise that was cancelled and pushed out till 2022 if I want to re-book.   Hopefully there will be treatment for the virus by then or I will not be going with a shipload of 3000-4000 people.

Edited by boatclub1

22 hours ago, Hokiehog said:

Can do it....can certainly do it.

It's called "changing the rules".

I have been in a couple hotels where robots brought items to the rooms. I think there will more robots on the ship. I saw royal copyrighted their own face masks. I have a friend who collected barf bags from planes. Maybe we will collect branded face masks. The new cheap souvenir. I will be wearing tshirts for cruises we did not take this year.  So retro. Anyone need a straw?