What will be different on your next carnival cruise?

geckoaz

3 hours ago, coevan said:

......"I'll have salad 2 slices of cucumber, one tomato, light on the onions, dressing on the side" This is just an example of how silly this concept is to execute. The whole point of a salad bar is picking what you want and how much of each vegetables you like. IMHO

For the past several years Holland America Line ships have the staff in the Lido prepare your salad at the salad bar and it works very efficiently!  They have a huge selection and usually two identical sets of options with two different lines and staff preparing.  It moves quickly.  I really love the concept!

~Nancy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

. . .  They still had most, but not all, of the usual items at the salad bar, but instead of serving yourself, you told the waiter(s) what you wanted and they got it for you. All of us thought it worked well, although the environment was definitely different

That made me giggle a bit.  😁

I'm probably not too far out on a limb to safely assume not a single person was approached with a request to put a shirt on.

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you ever cross paths with a Texas de Brazil steakhouse, it is a must go to in my book. Like I mentioned before their salad bar is phenomenal. Smart business move to get people filled up before they eat meat. But if you skimp on the salad bar like I do, they have several cuts of steak that are outstanding that you can eat a lot of before surrendering. 

Interesting point about the practice of buffet operators to entice customers to fill up on salad (and breads and pastas) to reduce consumption of the costlier. Would switching the lido buffets from self-service to attendant-service have any impact on that?  
   Perhaps folks who usually dawdle at the salad bar will move through quicker & with less on their plates. (So later they'll find they've later got more appetite for the more expensive meats and fish)   So from the point of a view of an accountant projecting a cruise line's food expenses ... will redesigning the buffet system add some cost? Alternately ... would there be a savings because people also get smaller portions of the expensive entree items, so overall food waste goes down.

17 hours ago, oakridger said:

For the past several years Holland America Line ships have the staff in the Lido prepare your salad at the salad bar and it works very efficiently!  They have a huge selection and usually two identical sets of options with two different lines and staff preparing.  It moves quickly.  I really love the concept!

~Nancy

I was referring to a closed buffet and ordering your meal from servers like the MDR. 

On 4/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Bingo.  Can’t believe how Carnival has been able to get away with their method all these years lining up people 6 rows deep and in the hot sun.

We were in the Celebrity Edge in March and we did it in one of the dining rooms and was done by video .

Where the muster drill is held is not decided by Carnival.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Where the muster drill is held is not decided by Carnival.

Then who decides?  HAL does their drills the same way.  You're forced to stand close together and if you don't, the crew conducting the drill push you together.  I experienced this most recently on the Miracle in San Diego this past February.  

36 minutes ago, Roz said:

Then who decides?  HAL does their drills the same way.  You're forced to stand close together and if you don't, the crew conducting the drill push you together.  I experienced this most recently on the Miracle in San Diego this past February.  

One ship does not a policy make.  Newer ships have muster in different places.  I do not know who decides, but this is an area where I think there will be change and possibly dramatic, we will see.   I do not think it is out of the realm Of possibility that it maybe electronic in nature.   

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

One ship does not a policy make.  Newer ships have muster in different places.  I do not know who decides, but this is an area where I think there will be change and possibly dramatic, we will see.   I do not think it is out of the realm Of possibility that it maybe electronic in nature.   

It's not been one ship.  Numerous cruises on various Carnival and HAL ships and all done the same way.  Will definitely have to change going forward.

6 hours ago, Roz said:

Muster drills have to comply with maritime law and mimic a real emergency as closely as possible, which is why passengers have to report to their assigned muster station. There have been several excellent posts on this topic by people who know a lot more about muster drills and maritime law than I do. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Muster drills have to comply with maritime law and mimic a real emergency as closely as possible, which is why passengers have to report to their assigned muster station. There have been several excellent posts on this topic by people who know a lot more about muster drills and maritime law than I do. 

I have no objection whatsoever to the drill itself.  I realize its value and know it's essential.  What I have issue with is the way passengers are crammed together.

23 hours ago, Roz said:

SOLAS when they certify the ship to carry passengers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ray98 said:

SOLAS when they certify the ship to carry passengers.

The SOLAS Convention is a pretty interesting read. 

International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974

Adoption: 1 November 1974; Entry into force: 25 May 1980

http://www.imo.org/en/About/Conventions/ListOfConventions/Pages/International-Convention-for-the-Safety-of-Life-at-Sea-(SOLAS),-1974.aspx

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, shof515 said:

it depends on the insurance.if you have a pre-exisiting medical condition, travel insurance will not cover you unless you purchase the insurance within 14 days or so after placing the deposit on the cruise. also insurance has various look back policy's for medical issues

You can certainly purchase medical insurance that covers pre-existing conditions without a time limit and some just say 60 days prior to the cruise.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

You can certainly purchase medical insurance that covers pre-existing conditions without a time limit and some just say 60 days prior to the cruise.

I only know of one like you mention, and the majority of ones I know of are as as the quoted poster says, within a certain number of days of initial deposit.  Not trying to go down a rabbit hole on insurance.

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I only know of one like you mention, and the majority of ones I know of are as as the quoted poster says, within a certain number of days of initial deposit.  Not trying to go down a rabbit hole on insurance.

I believe Nationwide allows pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase by final payment date - not within x days of deposit.

The medical insurance I carry is through Geoblue and it certainly covers pre-existing conditions.

I think if you purchase annual policies, many also cover pre-existing conditions if you keep it in force.

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I believe Nationwide allows pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase by final payment date - not within x days of deposit.

The medical insurance I carry is through Geoblue and it certainly covers pre-existing conditions.

I think if you purchase annual policies, many also cover pre-existing conditions if you keep it in force.

As I said, I really do not want to go down a rabbit hole on insurance.  I made my post for the poster so that most would not think you do not need to purchase at or near time of booking deposit.

I dont think chef table wil exist in current form. No passengers in food prep areas. Maybe behind the scenes will be cut. I laugh at line dances on lido with social distancing ...every one 6 feet apart all over the ship. 

44 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

As I said, I really do not want to go down a rabbit hole on insurance.  I made my post for the poster so that most would not think you do not need to purchase at or near time of booking deposit.

That's a lot of negatives.

9 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

On my next cruise no more glasses. I had one cataract removed and the right eye in two weeks. However i dont think the water can be any prettier in the Caribbean. 

With cataracts there is a color shift. You might be surprised.

• Like 1