Cruise Critic News: Carnival Cruise Line Limits Capacity on Select Voyages in May and June

LauraS

• Administrators

(3:10 p.m. EDT) – Carnival Cruise Line is limiting capacity on select voyages in May and June, in response to the global COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. While Carnival had already temporarily suspended all sailings until May 11, the line has now closed inventory on select sailing dates across its fleet throughout May and June in order to provide ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
G-X_v4wHmtI

View the full article

You have to start somewhere. I seriously doubt that cruise lines want to wait until the virus is gone, or nearly gone. The govt. is looking at methods of re-opening the economy, possibly sections of the country at a time. It makes sense that Carnival, and others, have plans in place to be ready for it. These capacity-controlled cruises will be an interesting litmus test to see just how many people are comfortable with cruising again. I'm very curious to know what percentage of full capacity they're allowing. I think cruising on a ship with hundreds (maybe even 1,000??) fewer passengers would be an interesting experience.

• Like 5

Ours is May 16 and still hasn't been cancelled. We have no problem going if it doesn't get cancelled. Someone has to be first right? After over a month in the house other than groceries and hikes we are ready for 7 days, even if it's just at Sea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coevan said:

still not sure I would be comfortable with a couple of thousand people. The article does not allude to the actual reduced capacity.

I bet they don't  have a number. I bet it's reduced to the number of tickets they've already sold. And it's "select voyages" because if they sold it out they aren't reducing the number.

• Like 3

Speculate where the cruises could go...

As the Caribbean was/is for the most part the least affected and is so dependent on tourism, are those cruises the ones that were pulled and held for capacity control?  I know mine was Southern to Aruba, Curacao, and 2 DR ports. I'm good with switching out the DR for Half Moon Cay!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

Ours is May 16 and still hasn't been cancelled. We have no problem going if it doesn't get cancelled. Someone has to be first right? After over a month in the house other than groceries and hikes we are ready for 7 days, even if it's just at Sea.

Another six weeks in this house and I would be willing to swim out to the ship.

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

They've go to be cruises to nowhere.......maybe a private island.

I don't think cruises to nowhere are allowed. I wonder if they could get around that by docking somewhere and not letting any passengers off.

• Like 1

I understand there are reasons for announcing cancellations the way they are doing it, but I wish Carnival, and other cruise lines for that matter, would just state the obvious that no one is going on a cruise any time soon. Articles like this one give people hope that cruises might actually happen in May or June. The chances of that happening are the same as the Bengals winning the Super Bowl next season. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think cruises to nowhere are allowed. I wonder if they could get around that by docking somewhere and not letting any passengers off.

I understand they aren't "allowed", though they've been done before.  I've taken 3 of them out NYC, albeit in 2013, 14, 15.   But, these are unprecedented times the cruise industry is in.  And I'm certain that small Caribbean islands aren't all that pumped up to have 2,000 people coming from the most affected country to their small home.  And if cruiselines are looking for ANY source of revenue, they're going to have to make adjustments.

• Like 1

I took a cruise to nowhere out of Galveston. I think the ship came in late due to weather. I was on a 4 day shortened to 3 days. The downside was we had to pay tax in duty free shops onboard. I think the secret deodorant wound up being $9.50 with tax, I forgot mine.

We left knowing no ports. 

It's been done before.

2 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

I understand they aren't "allowed", though they've been done before.  I've taken 3 of them out NYC, albeit in 2013, 14, 15.   But, these are unprecedented times the cruise industry is in.  And I'm certain that small Caribbean islands aren't all that pumped up to have 2,000 people coming from the most affected country to their small home.  And if cruiselines are looking for ANY source of revenue, they're going to have to make adjustments.

JH said they were banned by congress a few years ago. He has gauged interest recently on if they were able to obtain permission. But as of now they can't do it. 

Any cruise company would have to answer a plethora of questions before I got on my cruise in May.

what specific cleaning is being done daily?

who will serve food?

what ports and what happens if they are closed?

will there be any restrictions on how many people can be in one area?

what happens if one person shows symptoms, is everyone on quarantine then? This would have to be a specific answer, I want no grey.

how do I get home and who is responsible for getting me home if ship quarantine? 
are there even any hotels open in Miami? 

I could ask several more but this is just the tip. Pretty risky to run a cruise out of Miami when the convention center is a make shift hospital, that right there should tell you something. More to lose than gain in my opinion. Hopefully, when they decide to return cruising, especially this early in the game, they will give u the option to cancel using the same terms as what they provided for all people with cancelled cruises. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

JH said they were banned by congress a few years ago. He has gauged interest recently on if they were able to obtain permission. But as of now they can't do it. 

I am trying to recall correctly but to the best of my remembrance chengkp75 said they couldn't do the cruises to nowhere since the crew would have to have a different kind of visa and they were harder to get.