Covid19 test

pinkie60

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

i understand you all are doom and gloom. stop reading the headlines.  take it from an old sailor, this wave will pass.  i am not saying go about as normal. now, imsimply saing stay doing what your doing and in 40-60 days things could be different. 

are you saying they are not in the biggest lockdown ever? what headline am I getting wrong? if the weather will slow it down... India should NOT be hurting their economy by locking down the country

what part am I missing? is india not hurting their economy by locking down the country? if this is not a big deal because the weather will slow it down, why is India hurting themselves?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

are you saying they are not in the biggest lockdown ever? what headline am I getting wrong? if the weather will slow it down... India should NOT be hurting their economy by locking down the country

what part am I missing? is india not hurting their economy by locking down the country? if this is not a big deal because the weather will slow it down, why is India hurting themselves?

i was referring to ships not sailing again this summer,  lol you are stuck on india.  1.3billlion and your talking about 200 deaths, seems they have it under control. im all for the restrictions right now by govt , so that in a month or 2 everying slowly goes back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

During the 2 week incubation period you mention, people are projecting the virus back into the atmosphere and surfaces.  Each different test protocol is based on a certain amount of virus in the testing sample.  We have no idea how sensitive the 5 minute tests are and how long it would take to register positive from exposure.  According to what I have heard they are much more accurate than the longer duration tests.  No test is 100% accurate so that's never going to happen.

I personally believe the 5 minute tests to opening a large majority of the US economy.  I work in a nursing home and really think we will open up our doors once we can get the 5 minute testing.  We could test every person through the door.

So I’m going to talk about Covid testing rather than continuing the debate about if ships will sail or what the CDC really, really means. Warning a lot of geekery about testing for covid from a medical technologist (we’re the ones staffing hospital labs, doing the testing). Sorry if I’m derailing but at least it isn’t something that has been posted hundreds of times already on this site. 

I don’t think the “5 minute test” really will be the solution to everything. The abbot ID now can result a positive in as little as 5 minutes, but a negative will take 13. From what I’m seeing you can only test one specimen at a time. Assuming you don’t have to run quality control (really it should be some where between 2-6 levels of controls per day) there is not a little procedure the machine does between specimens to reset/clean itself, and you are standing at the machine ready to start the next test you realistically will be under 100 tests a day per machine running flat out. And I don’t think it would work for screening everyone that comes in-screening a nursing home at shift change would be painfully long.  I do think it will be useful and have its place. As to sensitivity it appears that the manufacturer is claiming 125 genomic equivalents/mL is their low end of limit of detection-which is pretty sensitive but not necessarily better there are more sensitive tests that aren’t point of care. 

We’ve been doing Covid testing since the middle of March (we were ready before that just waiting for the state to allow us to start). Up until last week all testing was done by hand with our microbiology pathologist living at one of the hospitals because he had to personally inspect, sign off and enter each result by hand, and we could do less than 100 tests per day. Within the last week we were finally able to obtain reagents to run automated testing, but just enough for one analyzer at one hospital so everything has been going to one place to be tested. But we can now run several hundred tests a day. Next week we expect to have enough reagents that all of our hospitals across 4 counties will be up, we may even have enough for our outpatient laboratory to start testing as well. We are hoping we will no longer have to do any send out covid testing (currently outpatients/drive thru tents are sent out and take a week or more). I am also very excited for covid antibody tests to become a thing we can do. 

• Like 3

I’m sailing on the Norwegian Sky July 24th. I expect things should be straightened out by then. Does anyone think that Norwegian would require a negative covid19 test before you board. I know they are requiring anyone over 70 to have a doctors note but I’m wondering if they would go that far to check if the passengers are negative for the virus. 

I think it will not be enough to test negative for the virus (even if that were feasible). I think there will need to be an effective vaccine and passengers will need to prove they have immunity (perhaps being issued an immunity card, or something stamped on your passport). Clinical trials will need to be done on such a vaccine, approval, then production....I am booked for 2/14/21 and I’m thinking cruises may not resume by then. 7/24/20, sadly, I don’t see that happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lepidoptera said:

I am also very excited for covid antibody tests to become a thing we can do. 

For me to cruise anytime soon, I'll need a antibody test showing I have immunity.  I'm watching the news closely for when testing will be available.  I'm convinced the "cold" with dry cough I caught last month in NYC was actually Covid-19.  Boy will I be bummed when the test comes back negative.  

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

19If a Covid-19 vaccine is produced tested and approved, the anti immune will not be able to use it, live vaccines are not permitted with anti immune patients.

I think you're about 2 different things: anti immune vs antibody (autoimmune disease vs antibody ) autoimmune is a disease like rheumatoid arthritis vs antibody testing is a test to find out if you've had a disease, like Covid19.  

I'm not sure they know whether you become immune to C-19 if you've had or not, yet. 

36 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I think you're about 2 different things: anti immune vs antibody (autoimmune disease vs antibody ) autoimmune is a disease like rheumatoid arthritis vs antibody testing is a test to find out if you've had a disease, like Covid19.  

I'm not sure they know whether you become immune to C-19 if you've had or not, yet. 

Hi I mean immune deficient, I am unable to have any live vaccines, like MMR, what I’m basically saying anyone old or with immune related treatments, the vaccine will be no good.

6 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Hi I mean immune deficient, I am unable to have any live vaccines, like MMR, what I’m basically saying anyone old or with immune related treatments, the vaccine will be no good.

Ah, ok, so the opposite of autoimmune disease? Sorry, that's a bit different.  Let's hope they eradicate C-19 then.  

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

South Korea just announced that 91 persons who had the virus and cured, now have it again.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

South Korea just announced that 91 persons who had the virus and cured, now have it again.  

Does not surprise me at all.  There have been other instances where people have been re-infected.

Our local TV network usually has an update each day around noon giving updates.  The worst cases are those in nursing homes.   

Very sad for families whose loved ones are in those homes and had no idea what was happening re this virus. 

Reuters said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), told a briefing that the virus may have been “reactivated” rather than the patients being re-infected.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21S15X

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 1:43 AM, Trimone said:

If a Covid-19 vaccine is produced tested and approved, the anti immune will not be able to use it, live vaccines are not permitted with anti immune patients.

I seriously doubt this will be a live virus vaccine.  Out of all of the ones in development the only one that is trying Deoptimized live attenuated is Codagenix/Serum Institute of India.

On 4/11/2020 at 6:01 AM, roger001 said:

Now is that they are testing positive or actually showing symptoms consistent with the illness.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:29 PM, Fartlek said:

The cruise industry was one of the first to be impacted and I expect it will be the absolute very last to get going.  There is no way anyone is cruising this year.  A vaccine is needed first which is still 18 months away and I expect the cruises will start 6 months later.  Sometimes in 2022 is my prediction 

I agree. We have a cruise booked on the Breakaway in April 2021 and I think we have about a 5% chance of going. So people won't think I'm a fool, this cruise was booked about a year ago.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:06 PM, npcl said:

Now is that they are testing positive or actually showing symptoms consistent with the illness.

It is because there is no evidence that having COVID-19 will make you immune from catching it again. That is media sensationalism to get readers (and advertising revenue). 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/25/844939777/no-evidence-that-recovered-covid-19-patients-are-immune-who-says