Now for something completely different

I have a bunch friends who ride bikes, we didn't really abbreviate the names much except for Kawasakis were called Kowies and Harley Davidsons were Hogs or on a more derogatory note Hardly Ableton (don't forget the AMF years). Most of my friends had Hondas then, Now those that still ride have a mix of BMW, Harley Davidson and one guy has a vintage Gold Wing that needs restoration (Lyndon he is looking for a particular side cover apparently they are unobtanium around here) as well as a Buell and he just got a brand new Indian last year as a gift from his wife.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have a bunch friends who ride bikes, we didn't really abbreviate the names much except for Kawasakis were called Kowies and Harley Davidsons were Hogs or on a more derogatory note Hardly Ableton (don't forget the AMF years). Most of my friends had Hondas then, Now those that still ride have a mix of BMW, Harley Davidson and one guy has a vintage Gold Wing that needs restoration (Lyndon he is looking for a particular side cover apparently they are unobtanium around here) as well as a Buell and he just got a brand new Indian last year as a gift from his wife.

Honda Gold Wing, love to have one, but what are they here $25,000 to $30;000, too much money.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Honda Gold Wing, love to have one, but what are they here $25,000 to $30;000, too much money.

Cost more than many cars. Used to ride a Suzuki 750, Mrs Gut had a 50cc step through.

These are the bikes I currently have on Historic registration.

Registration is $50 p.a. which includes greenslip 3rd party. That allows me to ride any one of them sixty times a year for personal use plus club rides. In a week or two I will also have my 16' Viscount pop top caravan on Historic reg.

WP_20150204_003.jpg

2 right.jpg

gl2.jpg

P6030023a.jpg

P4140001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

These are the bikes I currently have on Historic registration.

Registration is $50 p.a. which includes greenslip 3rd party. That allows me to ride any one of them sixty times a year for personal use plus club rides. In a week or two I will also have my 16' Viscount pop top caravan on Historic reg.

WP_20150204_003.jpg

2 right.jpg

gl2.jpg

P6030023a.jpg

P4140001.JPG

They look in beautiful condition.  Did you renovate them yourself?  Must be enjoyable to ride them. 

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

They look in beautiful condition.  Did you renovate them yourself?  Must be enjoyable to ride them. 

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The FJ1200 and the gold Goldwing are as I bought them. The other three were restored to roadworthy condition, the little blue Yamaha needed a total rebuild. The red Honda needed the engine rebuilt and repainting as a previous owner thought black spray cans were the go. The red/white Yamaha cost me $300 plus $1200 to clean it up and get it roadworthy (new tyres, chain, sprockets and a little paint) after it had been sitting outdoors in salt air for about ten years. They are all over thirty years old.

• Like 1

Great collection of iron horses there, well done, I envy you. My wife would never let me buy a motor cycle after I retired. She said I used up my 9 lives on them in my working life. Have to agree, I had 3 bad spills.

But now I am tempted.🤑

• Like 1

I'm not a bike guy Lyndon but I like that 750 Four, your Gold Wing is newer than the one my buddy has I think his is a 1981, I'll find out. It is well ridden and needs some TLC. My buddy was a Chief Aircraft maintenance technician in the RCAF before he retired. He just spent a bunch of time enclosing his carport into a workshop so maybe he can get started on getting the engine rebuilt, something blew up while he was on a ride a few years back; he brought it home on a trailer. He has a pretty deep connection with that bike, I don't think he will let it go ever. He traded his boat to get the Buell he has, which is a little more sporty than his other bikes (the Goldwing and the Indian)

• Like 1

My parents were quite against us having motor bikes.

When they were first going out, dad had an Indian. They had a severe disagreement with a truck. Mum had a fractured skull and broken nose. Dad broke his leg in 9 places.

I prefer a lot of metal around me.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not a bike guy Lyndon but I like that 750 Four, your Gold Wing is newer than the one my buddy has I think his is a 1981, I'll find out.

He said all his bikes are over 30 years old so it wouldn't be too much older, within 9 years anyway.

38 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

He said all his bikes are over 30 years old so it wouldn't be too much older, within 9 years anyway.

My Goldwing is a 1989 model built 1988 so you were pretty close to the money. Its a 1500cc 6 cylinder. Lyle's mates' bike would be a 4 cylinder 1100cc possibly like this one. My go to for parts is US ebay.

HONDA GL1100 81 inte.jpg

goldwing.thumb.jpg.f9cd03c855a0c7b00e9c3fdc53a545c4.jpgWell much to my surprise Bruce did let his Goldwing go. He loaded it up on a trailer yesterday, he let it go for $750.00 it was a 1985 LTD. Apparently the new owner knows Goldwings inside and out so I guess he will be able to rebuild the engine and probably find the missing battery cover. 

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

goldwing.thumb.jpg.f9cd03c855a0c7b00e9c3fdc53a545c4.jpgWell much to my surprise Bruce did let his Goldwing go. He loaded it up on a trailer yesterday, he let it go for $750.00 it was a 1985 LTD. Apparently the new owner knows Goldwings inside and out so I guess he will be able to rebuild the engine and probably find the missing battery cover. 

By our standards that went "cheap as chips".

• Like 1

OK for you enthusiasts, for the Sydney 2000 Olympics Torch Relays, these Harley Road Kings were procured by the NSW Police. Post Olympics they were never seen again. It is rumoured they were leased from the USA and sent back.

70621.jpg

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

By our standards that went "cheap as chips".

No kidding, he kept it in good condition but well ridden, on one of his frequent road trips something in the engine blew. I think he has the knowledge to fix it but not the will to fix it. Just like many of us who can do things but don't want to. For instance I can install cabinets but hate it so I don't and my boss never asks me to.

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OK for you enthusiasts, for the Sydney 2000 Olympics Torch Relays, these Harley Road Kings were procured by the NSW Police. Post Olympics they were never seen again. It is rumoured they were leased from the USA and sent back.

70621.jpg

download.jpg

One was in the Powerhouse.

Very vague memory of some being auctioned, but lots of Olympic stuff was sold off after the games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Smart move.🙄

Not much good for highway patrol work in Sydney, too big and cumbersome for pursuits in them there city streets. They have been trialled a couple of times. Yammies currently i believe, but none down here.

My dad is a proud member of the local Ulysses Motorcycle Club. He rides a Suzuki GS1100, with a sidecar engineered and built by he and his best friend. He calls it glamping now, he has just bought a car fridge that fits in the sidecar and has also just recently added a camp stretcher to his gear, as getting down on the ground into a swag was just getting too hard!

He is finding the longer rides a bit tough now, so sometimes takes his four wheel drive and caravan instead, but still manages one or two trips a year up to station country in northern South Australia.

Dad will be 91 next month.

• Like 6