Now for something completely different

46 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, conch needs a white wine but snails work well with pinot noir, although a good chardonnay would also pair well as escargot is a delicacy from the Burgundy region of France.

I could not eat that stuff. The Frogs can have it.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Same as chokos?😆

Sea cucumbers have a bit more elasticity😆. When we were staying in Lanquin Guatemala they would cook chokos as a side to every dish. They knew how to cook chokos😋, they were buttery soft with a delicious spicey coating. Completely overturned my view on the choko.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I'll have your share, especially if they are as good as the ones we had on Coral recently. They were the best I've ever had. But I know you wouldn't like them as they are done in garlic butter.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And the Chinese they love their snails😆. Personally I prefer Chinese snail dishes over French style, really flavourful sauces they like pairing with snail. Lemongrass stuffed snails are also pretty nice. 

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'll have your share, especially if they are as good as the ones we had on Coral recently. They were the best I've ever had. But I know you wouldn't like them as they are done in garlic butter.

Must keep my eyes on the menu when we are on board on the 26 Sept. When I lived in the Philippines I made the acquaintance of a lovely French lady from their embassy who introduced me to some of the finer points of French cuisine. 

5 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Must keep my eyes on the menu when we are on board on the 26 Sept. When I lived in the Philippines I made the acquaintance of a lovely French lady from their embassy who introduced me to some of the finer points of French cuisine. 

The escargot were on the menu on the second formal night (the second-last night at sea). They also had lobster on the menu but it was easy to miss as it was described as 'King prawn and lobster' (from memory).

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I detest chokos., always have. Couple of houses down they have a million chokos growing in season, the friendly neighbour (I call her Choko Lady, lol) knocks on my door with a bucketful, I just take a few and give them to my daughter, her family likes them. Chokos are tasteless animals in my opinion.  Could they be the Australian National Vegetable? 

I bet I detest them more🤣. Remember when most Aussie backyards had at least one fence line propping up a choko vine?  Caring parents had passionfruit vines instead.  They are watery, tasteless “vegetables” with fine, hairy spikes on skin that resembles baby crocodiles.  My mother used to boil them to oblivion then try to resuscitate them with a dob of butter.   Even my Italian  mother-in-law probably couldn’t have redeemed chokos, and she created magic in the kitchen.  Tripe is quite popular in Italy, and I love the way Italian and  French  cuisine prepares and presents it.  My Italian husband hates it🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Being Italian I bet M loves his garlic, lol.

You know, it’s funny, but garlic is used very little in Italy these days.  All our cousins in the north won’t have it in the kitchen, amazingly.  They also drink little coffee, and never with milk after the morning breakfast coffee.  Yes, Les, he does like it, but never raw.  Anyone who’s eaten raw garlic wouldn’t be entering my house, anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

You know, it’s funny, but garlic is used very little in Italy these days.  All our cousins in the north won’t have it in the kitchen, amazingly.  They also drink little coffee, and never with milk after the morning breakfast coffee.  Yes, Les, he does like it, but never raw.  Anyone who’s eaten raw garlic wouldn’t be entering my house, anyway.

Doesn't it depend on what part of Italy you are in? Garlic use being more prevalent in the south? 

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Doesn't it depend on what part of Italy you are in? Garlic use being more prevalent in the south? 

Yes, I think it’s used  more liberally in the south, but pizzas, etc. here are more likely to have garlic than those in Italy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, I think it’s used  more liberally in the south, but pizzas, etc. here are more likely to have garlic than those in Italy

Not at my pizzeria - Via Napoli. Even though it is a Neopolitan pizzeria - the owner grew up in Naples and trained as a pizziola there - only a couple of their pizzas have garlic on them. Best pizza outside of Naples IMHO! 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not at my pizzeria - Via Napoli. Even though it is a Neopolitan pizzeria - the owner grew up in Naples and trained as a pizziola there - only a couple of their pizzas have garlic on them. Best pizza outside of Naples IMHO! 😊

Via Napoli is great, been there a couple of times with my son and family when I am in the big smoke. Yep, i always ask for no garlic on my pizza 🍕 great family business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Via Napoli is great, been there a couple of times with my son and family when I am in the big smoke. Yep, i always ask for no garlic on my pizza 🍕 great family business.

What are their gluten free bases like? I've only had the regular ones but there was someone wanting to know which places in Lane Cove had good GF bases.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What are their gluten free bases like? I've only had the regular ones but there was someone wanting to know which places in Lane Cove had good GF bases.

Julie, probably 3 years since I was there. The gf bases were ok. Most pizza places buy them in, dont make them there, hence the $5 or so surcharge for a gf base. At home making my own I buy the Senza gf base from coles, $5 each. Made in Italia. Coles own brand 2 for $5 are ordinary, dont crisp up. 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Julie, probably 3 years since I was there. The gf bases were ok. Most pizza places buy them in, dont make them there, hence the $5 or so surcharge for a gf base.

I don't think Via Napoli charges extra for GF bases and I would be surprised if they weren't made in house. Luigi sets high standards.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think Via Napoli charges extra for GF bases and I would be surprised if they weren't made in house. Luigi sets high standards.

Good to know, thanks

46 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

For people or the coughs and colds?

I recall one of my Uni Lecturers theorising that the vampire terror was a projection of the fear of disease and its spread through blood contact;  driving a stake through the heart destroyed the contagion and its carrier.  A bit like a pocket full of posies to breathe through and eliminate the “malodour” of the plague.  Gosh, try eating pizza after my ramble…

• Like 1