Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

At least a train could be express, Central, Hornsby, maybe Gosford, Newcastle and to date Explorer of the Seas is the biggest cruise ship into Newcastle I think 

By GRT, yes Explorer o/t Seas. Newcastle's main  limitation is by length in the turning basin. Solstice is the longest to date.

Logistically speaking, how practical would trains to Newcastle be? How many pax, of say, a 2500 capacity ship would  use the train. If it were most, how many trains over the course of the day, would be needed to take them, and their luggage ( would take up a lot of space on the train and the carriages are not designed for this. )  If it were not many then why have it?  Overseas and interstate guests flying into Sydney would need to catch a train into the city then change trains ( with luggage) to Newcastle then a coach/ taxi  or whatever to the terminal. Time taken for this??????  Sydney locals decide not to use the train so drive to Newcastle..where do you leave the car?What happens to the “inevitable” delayed flight passengers  or the “ l left my passport on the kitchen table, I will go back and get it “pax? Sadly, for Novacastrians, Newcastle has the same drawbacks as Port Kembla and will not happen apart from maybe, a possible one off event. Bring on Port Botany. 

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Logistically speaking, how practical would trains to Newcastle be? How many pax, of say, a 2500 capacity ship would  use the train. If it were most, how many trains over the course of the day, would be needed to take them, and their luggage ( would take up a lot of space on the train and the carriages are not designed for this. )  If it were not many then why have it?  Overseas and interstate guests flying into Sydney would need to catch a train into the city then change trains ( with luggage) to Newcastle then a coach/ taxi  or whatever to the terminal. Time taken for this??????  Sydney locals decide not to use the train so drive to Newcastle..where do you leave the car?What happens to the “inevitable” delayed flight passengers  or the “ l left my passport on the kitchen table, I will go back and get it “pax? Sadly, for Novacastrians, Newcastle has the same drawbacks as Port Kembla and will not happen apart from maybe, a possible one off event. Bring on Port Botany. 

I agree Port Botany is  the best by a buffets length .

Royal Caribbean has paid for a terminal At Ravenna in Italy and it’s about 2 hours by road from Venice and about 3.5 hours by train.

There quite a few places that are a hour or more from the airport so it’s not totally impractical.

21 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Bring on Port Botany.  Pity it will take at least 10 years, if it happens at all.  

There was talk of using Hayes dock while they built a new terminal it was in the proposal.

9B59755A-15BC-4E2A-A05F-C0AA9E177C1E.thumb.png.b84399404c7dbb6c4a2e8dbeae194b1d.png

3 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Correct, not practical in comparison to Sydney, as it almost needs to be seen as a separate market. When they based a tired old Pacific Sun there for a couple of seasons, it was moderately successful. Granted, the fares were cheaper than the other P&O ships, and they did manage to park a forklift in the harbour on the first day.

Passengers came from all over. Around 1/2 of the passengers came from the greater area from Taree down to Gosford, and out through the Hunter & Tamworth etc. For those in regional areas, the XPT or Explorer trains are more convenient to Broadmeadow than they are to Central. Those that flew in did so to Williamtown, where they picked up transfer buses, not to different than Kingsford Smith to White Bay.

I agree, not great for parking, but I am prepared to offer my open air driveway for $20 per day, or my garage for $40 per day - limited availability, but cheaper than Sydney or Brisbane, and far less pigeons.

It may seem the world revolves around Sydney, but for the rest of us we always have to contend with the risk of leaving the passport at home - we manage because we know how important it is.

Yes, bring on Botany. Still, if requested/required, Newcastle could do embarkations through a Barangaroo style tent this summer. Botany is years away.

53 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Correct, not practical in comparison to Sydney, as it almost needs to be seen as a separate market. When they based a tired old Pacific Sun there for a couple of seasons, it was moderately successful. Granted, the fares were cheaper than the other P&O ships, and they did manage to park a forklift in the harbour on the first day.

Passengers came from all over. Around 1/2 of the passengers came from the greater area from Taree down to Gosford, and out through the Hunter & Tamworth etc. For those in regional areas, the XPT or Explorer trains are more convenient to Broadmeadow than they are to Central. Those that flew in did so to Williamtown, where they picked up transfer buses, not to different than Kingsford Smith to White Bay.

I agree, not great for parking, but I am prepared to offer my open air driveway for $20 per day, or my garage for $40 per day - limited availability, but cheaper than Sydney or Brisbane, and far less pigeons.

It may seem the world revolves around Sydney, but for the rest of us we always have to contend with the risk of leaving the passport at home - we manage because we know how important it is.

Yes, bring on Botany. Still, if requested/required, Newcastle could do embarkations through a Barangaroo style tent this summer. Botany is years away.

Don’t forget, if you have a ship going out with passengers you would have a ship coming in with passengers to process and get away from the terminal so double the problem..  The Barangaroo style tent is no cheap option especially if it was over a whole season. I am glad I will not be working up there. I cannot see a necessity for another terminal next season as It looks as though there will be less ships home porting in Sydney (eg, Royal with one instead of three)  so a touch less pressure on the OPT  although P&O Aust, now having ships that do not under the bridge, could present a problem

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Don’t forget, if you have a ship going out with passengers you would have a ship coming in with passengers to process and get away from the terminal so double the problem..  The Barangaroo style tent is no cheap option especially if it was over a whole season. I am glad I will not be working up there. I cannot see a necessity for another terminal next season as It looks as though there will be less ships home porting in Sydney (eg, Royal with one instead of three)  so a touch less pressure on the OPT  although P&O Aust, now having ships that do not under the bridge, could present a problem

True, wont be anything this year. Just a point that it is ready to go, and they have approvals already in the can for a terminal should they choose to build one. Yeah, the tents did suck.

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

When you travel overseas and see the trains they have in Japan, UK, USA, other European countries etc, you can see how antiquated our trains are.🚆

You can add Morocco and Nigeria to that list😂. Maybe we should get some Australian princes who need help recovering their inheritance😜

Forgot Newcastle,Yarra bay looks fantastic.

Drop your bags and hit the beach for a couple of hours on Yarra beach,admire your ship ,a couple of beer with Rod at the sailing club.

How many cruise terminals in the world can you do that?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Forgot Newcastle,Yarra bay looks fantastic.

Drop your bags and hit the beach for a couple of hours on Yarra beach,admire your ship ,a couple of beer with Rod at the sailing club.

How many cruise terminals in the world can you do that?

Stunning. Who needs Nobbys when you can have Yarra Bay!

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So this is from transport NSW ,it’s about a year old .

I don’t know if the metro will service the cruise terminal or the current gateway rail .

image.png.6af54117e14aadee8be1e3c897383f66.png

Not so sure about those dates though  2041 & 2056 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So this is from transport NSW ,it’s about a year old .

I don’t know if the metro will service the cruise terminal or the current gateway rail .

image.png.6af54117e14aadee8be1e3c897383f66.png

with these planned routes, guests flying in would have to get the Metro to Randwick and then swap onto the Metro to La Perouse and then somehow get to Port Botany (if the Metro wasn't extended to the cruise terminal). It would make more sense to run a shuttle service between the airport and the terminal

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
34 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

This might free up some space  for a cruise terminal in port botany.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-08/port-of-newcastle-bill-paves-way-for-container-terminal/101627212

That restriction was one of the dumbest deals ever done, and while seen as anti-competitive, it has taken many years to get it to this status. I don't expect the Botany container terminal operators to roll over on that though, and this could take many more years to get sorted. Then Newcastle needs to setup the infrastructure to get it rolling.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That restriction was one of the dumbest deals ever done, and while seen as anti-competitive, it has taken many years to get it to this status. I don't expect the Botany container terminal operators to roll over on that though, and this could take many more years to get sorted. Then Newcastle needs to setup the infrastructure to get it rolling.

Unless they sell White bay ,I can’t see our state having the money to build another terminal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Unless they sell White bay ,I can’t see our state having the money to build another terminal.

They have money in their coffers for the approved Newcastle Cruise terminal that got canned. That was supposed to be funded from the lease/sale of Newcastle Port.

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They have money in their coffers for the approved Newcastle Cruise terminal that got canned. That was supposed to be funded from the lease/sale of Newcastle Port.

The state is cancelling projects left right and centre.

They where just about to start a tunnel through Katoomba and the blue mountains but both the state and fed closed their check books at the last minute.
They won’t be building a new cruise wharf.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

The state is cancelling projects left right and centre.

They where just about to start a tunnel through Katoomba and the blue mountains but both the state and fed closed their check books at the last minute.
They won’t be building a new cruise wharf.

With an election coming up you would think they would be promoting infrastructure spending.