Windjammer Cafe / Is self service gone forever?

Whenever cruising is allowed to resume, do you think The Windjammer Cafe will be run as per usual?

.............or do you think that crew members will be positioned all over the place....asking you what you would like....then they'll serve it onto your plate for you?

BTW....If this topic has already been covered, kindly let me know.

1 minute ago, SSBrickNJ said:

There's virtually no topic that hasn't already been discussed - it's just a matter of finding the proper thread. For this issue, find any thread which talks about opening cruising again.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Not really sure how this would help with controlling something like the Covid-19.

Well my thought was that if many people touch the serving spoon for the scrambled eggs prior to me touching it....that is not ideal.

Yet if only one crew member who is wearing a glove touches that serving spoon, that would be preferable.

Long before Covid 19 there have been many "All You Can Eat" buffets on dry land that have gone out a business. Setting aside Covid 19...just in general there are people who don't want to handle something that many others have touched.

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Well my thought was that if many people touch the serving spoon for the scrambled eggs prior to me touching it....that is not ideal.

Yet if only one crew member who is wearing a glove touches that serving spoon, that would be preferable.

Long before Covid 19 there have been All You can Eat buffets on dry land that have gone out a business. Setting aside Covid 19...just in general there are people who don't want to handle something that many others have touched.

What you say is true, but many people also touch the elevator buttons, staircase railings, armrests in the theater, salt and pepper shakers, door handles, the chair you sit in, etc.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

What you say is true, but many people also touch the elevator buttons, staircase railings, salt and pepper shakers, door handles, the chair you sit in, etc.

Wow! Will I ever see a bottle of Purell on the shelf of my local stores again??

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Ok. Thanks for pointing that out.😉

If people wish to revisit the topic  here that's fine.

If they feel: "been there...said that"...that's fine also.

Have a good day everyone! 😊

Edited by SSBrickNJ

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

What you say is true, but many people also touch the elevator buttons, staircase railings, armrests in the theater, salt and pepper shakers, door handles, the chair you sit in, etc.

True, but the risk is greater while eating for obvious reasons.  You mention salt & pepper shakers.  I see that changing as well.  They won't be shared without being sanitized in between uses.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Ok. Thanks for pointing that out.😉

If people wish to revisit the topic  here that's fine.

If they feel: "been there...said that"...that's fine also.

Have a good day everyone! 😊

No biggie. We'll let the mods decided...😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

True, but the risk is greater while eating for obvious reasons.  You mention salt & pepper shakers.  I see that changing as well.  They won't be shared without being sanitized in between uses.  

Nothing new for us. My wife has always been doing that for years (all dining venues). Whether on a cruise ship or land based restaurants.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

The risk with eating is no more than anything else.  If you rub your eyes, pick your nose, etc then you're at risk.  They don't think eating even with your fingers really is a transmission route as stomach acid kills the virus.  I think people forget that in a year or so, we will have a vaccine and definitely treatments so this won't be as big an issue as it currently is.  You're probably still more likely to catch something else from a shared serving spoon currently.  And, honestly, the way some people pile their plates to the sky and leave food uneaten, it's probably a good idea to have the crew serving, even in the WJ.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Nothing new for us. My wife has always been doing that for years (all dining venues). Whether on a cruise ship or land based restaurants.  

There's always individual packets of salt  and pepper so not really an issue.  Just do away with shared condiment containers.

besides having someone put my selection on my plate, and besides eliminating shared condiments, they're going to have to reduce the number of people eating in WJ. Either by only letting in a certain number at a time, or extending WJ hours. I would prefer longer dining times, they can drop the afternoon snack time

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Whenever cruising is allowed to resume, do you think The Windjammer Cafe will be run as per usual?

.............or do you think that crew members will be positioned all over the place....asking you what you would like....then they'll serve it onto your plate for you?

The buffet can spread norovirus or any germs through people's personal actions and now coronavirus could be on serving spoons.

If you wash your hands on entering WJ and use a disinfectant wipe or gel before eating usually suffices.

Coronavirus is mainly spread by coughing or sneezing so you could catch this anywhere not just limited to the buffet.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

besides having someone put my selection on my plate, and besides eliminating shared condiments, they're going to have to reduce the number of people eating in WJ. Either by only letting in a certain number at a time, or extending WJ hours. I would prefer longer dining times, they can drop the afternoon snack time

If and when the social distancing is done......

If and when people can sit next to each other at a football stadium.....well then the amount of people in the Windjammer shouldn't have to alter. If allowed in one venue...why not in another? I hope the world can return to SOMEwhat normal.

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, BND said:

There's always individual packets of salt  and pepper so not really an issue.  Just do away with shared condiment containers.

Never has been an issue with the salt and pepper shakers or condiment containers  in the different dining venues for us. Hate the individual packets of salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup, mayo, etc. But if that's all there is, we'd adjust. 

1 hour ago, KsucAts said:

They will be gone, replaced by single serve salt and pepper packets 

I actually think that to improve services Royal will have to consider making some of their revenue food places, like Johnny Rockets, to be complimentary again.  WJ on some ships is often crowded, and on Oasis-class it's not uncommon to have lines down the staircases waiting to get in.  I anticipate more included food service venues in the futures.  Services improve and the value offering or luring people to the cruises improves.  

• Like 1