Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

Hey, I hope you don't mind if a couple of Yanks join you on this cruise.  I just came across it, it sounds too good to pass up.  I just booked us on the Concorde, direct flight to Sydney.  I lived in Sydney in the 70's, so am super anxious to see it again.  I'm hoping I can squeeze in a walk across the bridge to show DH my old apartment buildings in North Sydney and Neutral Bay, and maybe a Manly ferry ride before boarding The Ship.  I am so excited!

OzKiwiJJ,  Thank you for finding this cruise and letting us all know about it.  We made it onboard!  Our cabin is fabulous, all we wanted and more.  It is a forward-facing cabin, under the Nav Bridge, with wall-to-wall slanted windows.  Facing the big window are two plush easy chairs/recliners.  Aahh…..   This is going to be a great place to watch the sea when we are not on Promenade Deck or elsewhere on the ship.

Speaking of easy chairs, our flight over was the easiest one ever.  We must have fallen asleep, because the last thing I remember is saying we are booked (online, from my easy chair), and there we were in Sydney, being met by a limo driver who took us straight to the ship.  Great service all around!

Another thing I really like about our cabin is the big maps on the wall.  One is A/NZ, with lots of detail, and across from it is a nice world map.  Our cabin steward said we can mark things on them, if we like, and at the end of the cruise he will peel them off the walls and let us take them home.  Nice, huh?

I think this is going to be one of the best cruises ever.

• Like 1

Wow nice cabin. Mid ship balcony, on port side, automatic door, plenty of space to park my wheelchair, tone of powerpoints and USB chargers, Pepsi Max on tap, a couple of lovely recliner lift chairs, wow who would expect a sleep number bed on a cruise ship. Even to door to the balcony is automatic.

The option of having a scooter taken to a lock up near the lift lobby for charging is a nice touch. And I have just been told by my steward that every cabin has a 30” door, so every cabin can accomodate a chair. And the halls are wide enough to turn into your cabin door. Plus no of those annoying uneven change of surfaces that jolt you to the core as you pass over them.

Tons of storage space and a safe that hold more than a paperback book. Yippee.

A lovely big shower with a real shower door. And taps that actually deliver a constant temperature water.

in the corridor what do I notice colour coded carpet with little fish so I know which side of the ship I a, on and if I am heading the right direction.

i am getting to like this ship.

Wow, what a fantastic suite we have, aft facing. As you walk around from the corridor, our suite door is on the left. We were greeted by our butler, Manuel who showed us around the suite. You walk straight into the living area which is similar to what OzKiwiJJ described. The views over to the bridge are great! (Assuming the Ocean Pearl is docked bow in to CQ). Off to the right is the bathroom and bedroom.The bedroom has the same views as the living room. The bed is absolutely amazingly comfortable. Fabulous pillows as well! Both rooms have doors out onto the enormous balcony which is partly covered so we will have shade if we need it and also can be in the sun if we want to. The loungers are those fantastic wooden ones with great thick padding, I can see my husband snoozing out there. Also there are wooden tables and chairs to have balcony meals.

As you enter the suite, to your right is the walk in wardrobe which also has an entry from the bedroom. This area has plenty of hanging space and shelving and also space to store luggage. As you enter the bedroom, the bathroom is opposite the entry to the wardrobe area. It is enormous - shower with door, bath, large vanity with plenty of storage and a separate toilet. 

What I do like is the small kitchenette area in the living room where there is a coffee maker and kettle with all the neccessities. The fridge is a little bigger than a bar fridge and is much colder than the normal ship fridges. So good for chilling wine and our water to take on shore. 

Wow, those couches in the living room, so comfortable. The TV is enormous and has an amazing range of programs to choose from, plus there is a great sound system. 

This is going to be a fabulous cruise!

Leigh

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

OzKiwiJJ, what a lovely cruise. I would like to follow along if that's okay. I'll be the quiet one people watching.

Carn, join in the fun.  We want to get to know you.

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Hey, I hope you don't mind if a couple of Yanks join you on this cruise.  I just came across it, it sounds too good to pass up.  I just booked us on the Concorde, direct flight to Sydney.  I lived in Sydney in the 70's, so am super anxious to see it again.  I'm hoping I can squeeze in a walk across the bridge to show DH my old apartment buildings in North Sydney and Neutral Bay, and maybe a Manly ferry ride before boarding The Ship.  I am so excited!

You're most welcome, shipgeeks. I see you've started to contribute to our fantasy voyage and I look forward to hearing more from you as our voyage progresses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Plus no of those annoying uneven change of surfaces that jolt you to the core as you pass over them.

This ship has the latest in smokestop door technology which removes the necessity of having those horrible metal strips between zones, yet still allows zones to be sealed off in case of emergency. She's an amazing ship, indeed.

Jeez Leigh, you must be rolling in the cash, Here I thought I was doing good with a concierge cabin with extra large balcony. 

Here you got the POSH suite, hope you'll mix with us lower class folk. Maybe come to a peasant bar from time to time when you're not in the suite only section😉

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My cabin is a large suite, midships on the port side............................................

Oh OzKiwiJJ, that is such a cool cabin, I am in awe.  

We have a mini suite with seating area, two TVs and a large mini-bar stocked with complimentary, Furphys, quality red and Irish Whiskey, tea /coffee making facilities and a selection of  (also) complimentary cheeses, crackers, nuts and fruit.  All complimentary provisions are replenished daily.  There  is a door into the sleeping area where two European singles are awaiting our weary bodies at the end of the night.  The bathroom is so large Mr Bubbeh (who tells me he is a 'king size man') can dry himself in comfort and turn around without hitting the walls and I don't have to soap the shower and spin to wash.  The balcony has seating for four and is big enough to accommodate that many and another couple to boot.  Oh wow!  I've just found this great private latticed area with a middle sized washing machine and compact extendable clothes line  (don't wanna be greedy) for drying.  All, I need now is a gym room and I'm in heaven.

This cruise really was worth two of Mr Bubbeh's internal organs!  And, to think I was having reservations about that sacrifice.

Do tell your butler what your favourite drinks and snacks are. He will keep your cabin stocked with whatever you desire. 

We're getting some Tanqueray gin, and Fevertree tonic, plus some olives and cheeses, for our late afternoon pre-shower snack. We like to dine later so like to have a light snack to tide us over. I've also asked for some freshly baked madeleines each day in case I need a late night sweet treat - I love these simple, buttery, slightly citrus-flavoured tiny cakes and often make them at home.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Jeez Leigh, you must be rolling in the cash, Here I thought I was doing good with a concierge cabin with extra large balcony. 

Here you got the POSH suite, hope you'll mix with us lower class folk. Maybe come to a peasant bar from time to time when you're not in the suite only section😉

Remember, dreams and virtual cabins are free. BTW this ship doesn't have classes per se, everyone can go everywhere on the ship and the degree of comfort you choose is only limited by your imagination, so give yourself an upgrade to one of those suites if you like.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Remember, dreams and virtual cabins are free. BTW this ship doesn't have classes per se, everyone can go everywhere on the ship and the degree of comfort you choose is only limited by your imagination, so give yourself an upgrade to one of those suites if you like.

Excellent in that case I'll take an upgrade. Our suite will have a king sized bed, the ensuite will have a soaker tub and separate shower with glass door. There is a small pantry area where the butler can prepare snacks, cocktails etc. Because this is a suite we brought our formal wear, we will do one special night as we have booked this cruise for our anniversary. Our butler can make sure everything is pressed and tidy. There is room for the formal wear because we don't have to pack so much stuff, gotta love the free laundry. There is room for 6 for dinner on our veranda or in the suite. Perhaps dinner with our new cruise friends at "our place". We will have to have Pimms in the bar, Lynn enjoys a Pimms Cup cocktail. Because we are in the land down under I will understand that my favourite Caesar cocktail will not be available... oh well Crown Royal and Ron Zacapa rum will be in the bar.

The monogrammed robes will be big enough to fit a "man of dimension" such as myself.

We should invite friends for a sushi and sake tasting.

I'm joining this cruise from Sydney.  I am dropped off at the local train station with my luggage and catch the train to the city.  My final station is Circular Quay where I step off the train and can see the ship directly in front of me as the platform is elevated and has a great view of the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Overseas Passengers Terminal where our ship is docked.

After squeezing into the tiny lift at the station, I arrive at ground level, exit the lift and exit the station after swiping my opal card and it's a short flat walk past the ferries wharves and the Museum of Modern Art to the spot in front of the ship where I drop off my luggage.  I then proceed to board.

Had I decided to play tourist in my own city, I would have caught one of our ferries from Circular Quay to one of the following for an outing for the day:

Taronga Zoo - to see the animals, the free flight bird show and enjoyed the stunning views over the harbour

Cockatoo Island - for a self guided walk around this island with its naval and convict history

Luna Park - for amusement rides if I have teens or tweens  or else it's a short walk to the beautiful Wendy Whitely Secret Garden - a lovely oasis with gorgeous views or for a swim in the Olympic Pool with its views of the Harbour Bridge.

After boarding the ship, I head straight to the buffet and grab myself something to eat.  As I am cruising solo, I have no trouble finding a table.  When I want to grab a drink or dessert, I leave a bag with just a book inside on the table, so my table is not taken.

After lunch, I briefly head up to the open top deck, to soak up the views of Sydney Harbour which never fail to delight then I head down to my balcony cabin.  The room is spacious especially as it's just me, I unpack and pull out my bottle of champagne which this cruise line permits me to bring onboard and settle into my balcony with a glass of champers in hand to soak up the sun and the views until muster drill is announced.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Because we are in the land down under I will understand that my favourite Caesar cocktail will not be available... oh well Crown Royal and Ron Zacapa rum will be in the bar.

The monogrammed robes will be big enough to fit a "man of dimension" such as myself.

We should invite friends for a sushi and sake tasting.

Of course your favourite cocktail will be available, this is a magical ship remember.

I'm in on the sushi and sake tasting, we have superb Japanese chefs onboard and NZ has some beautiful seafood. 

7 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I leave a bag with just a book inside on the table, so my table is not taken.

9 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I pull out my bottle of champagne which this cruise line permits me to bring

This ship has only extremely well behaved people on board who exhibit exemplary manners.  Everyone has taken note of who is at which table and nobody would dream of sitting at an occupied table uninvited.

In addition, you may bring as much champers or other drink on board as you wish.  However, as all drinks are complimentary, unless you have particular favourite, why would you bother?

11 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

After boarding the ship, I head straight to the buffet and grab myself something to eat.  As I am cruising solo, I have no trouble finding a table.  When I want to grab a drink or dessert, I leave a bag with just a book inside on the table, so my table is not taken.

After lunch, I briefly head up to the open top deck, to soak up the views of Sydney Harbour which never fail to delight then I head down to my balcony cabin.  The room is spacious especially as it's just me, I unpack and pull out my bottle of champagne which this cruise line permits me to bring onboard and settle into my balcony with a glass of champers in hand to soak up the sun and the views until muster drill is announced.

Just tell your butler what your favourite champagne is and he will ensure it is stocked in your cabin fridge. Don't worry if you don't finish the bottle, a fresh bottle will be provided - there is nothing worse than flat champagne.

4 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

This ship has only extremely well behaved people on board who exhibit exemplary manners.  Everyone has taken note of who is at which table and nobody would dream of sitting at an occupied table uninvited.

But it is safe to leave personal belongings on tables while leaving the table for short periods and, as this is a magical ship, there are always plenty of tables so it's not seen as table-hogging.

Just now, Bubbeh said:

In addition, you may bring as much champers or other drink on board as you wish.  However, as all drinks are complimentary, unless you have particular favourite, why would you bother?

Ah, old habits die hard.  I missed the memo on the free drinks.  I will still toast the start of the cruise with Champagne as I always do but I will order a bottle of Moet from my Butler to be accompanied by a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and a plate of cheeses.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I have just spotted this sailing and we decided to take the plunge and join you.  I thought we had missed out, as today is a sea day, but I couldn’t believe our luck, we were offered a complimentary helicopter ride to come and join you.  What an amazing cruise line.  I see the sailing is not full so maybe others will be able to fly in.

As late arrivals we have taken a regular balcony cabin, but can’t believe how big it is.  King size bed, large sofa, tons of storage.  We generally don’t spend too much time in our cabin, so this will do us just fine.  Did any of you spot the outdoor heater on the balcony, that will be nice to use if we get any cooler days, or just to sit out later at night.

We are looking forward to cruising along with you all.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Of course your favourite cocktail will be available, this is a magical ship remember.

I'm in on the sushi and sake tasting, we have superb Japanese chefs onboard and NZ has some beautiful seafood. 

I will add you to the guest list, should I have anything in particular on hand? 

13 minutes ago, 4HeatonsGal said:

Hi everyone, I have just spotted this sailing and we decided to take the plunge and join you.  I thought we had missed out, as today is a sea day, but I couldn’t believe our luck, we were offered a complimentary helicopter ride to come and join you.  What an amazing cruise line.  I see the sailing is not full so maybe others will be able to fly in.

Yes, while the ship is close enough to shore they can helicopter in, otherwise they can join us at the first or subsequent ports.

Since this is a magical ship, I have had just had a visit from my own personal Butler/genie who looks exactly like James Bond who had two wonderful surprises for me.

Firstly, I have been upgraded to a two storey loft suite, for no reason at all.  On arriving at my new suite, I have discovered that my enormous comfy bed upstairs has floor to ceiling views of both port and starboard side, a home entertainment unit with has the latest new release movies and all the streaming services, a walk in library stocked with books from my fav authors and all the 2020 new book releases.  I also have a large self sorting wardrobe stocked with beautiful leisure and formal wear plus a stylist who only appears before dinner on formal nights to ensure I look my best for my one on one with the world class portrait photography.

Downstairs, I have a private lap pool so I can swim off all the delicious food that my personal chef/butler whips up for me every afternoon and an enormous sofa lounge next to the glass sliding doors that open to allow the perfect  weather in.

My second surprise is 007 was worried about me being solo on such a long cruise so he has collected my daughter from home by helicopter and installed her and her 3 best friends in the soundproof loft next door.  They have their own soundstage to watch nightly festival performances by their favourite bands as well as a private stage for private Broadway performances on alternate nights.  

007 admitted that he did attempt to helicopter in Chris Hemsworth from Byron Bay  for me but sadly he was away on location.  

• Like 1