Cruising may never be the same again.

djjoe

Accepting that there will be changes for me is a given in the on board experience.  What they will be we can all speculate about.  Do you think there will be changes to the 'conditions under which a traveller may cruise' is my question?

My DH is concerned that those over 70 years of age will be unfairly singled out as a 'dangerous cruising population' and as we are closing in on that age it would impact our options.

What do you have to say?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

Accepting that there will be changes for me is a given in the on board experience.  What they will be we can all speculate about.  Do you think there will be changes to the 'conditions under which a traveller may cruise' is my question?

My DH is concerned that those over 70 years of age will be unfairly singled out as a 'dangerous cruising population' and as we are closing in on that age it would impact our options.

What do you have to say?

Count on it.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:58 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Have you actually ever been treated in the onboard medical center on a ship?  I have, more than once, and I never encountered a "near-retiree Doc" or a part time nurse.  I have encountered doctors in their 30s to 50s and nurses in similar age groups. 

The only Doc I’ve seen on a cruise kept flirting with passengers and talking about two guys named Issac and Gopher. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, mugtech said:

Agree with DH.

I personally don't believe that I am a greater liability for a cruise line as a cruiser than the younger cruiser.  Cruise lines will lose revenue if the restrictions are too limiting and prevent those over 70 from cruising.  Anyone can have a note from a doctor that says when they left their office they were in terrific health and have a heart attack the next day.   

16 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

What do you have to say?

I agree with your husband. However I think it will only be for a period of time in the beginning of the cruise start up. It will eventually end. With or without Covid-19 you become a risk the older you get. The more passengers of all ages, that they load on these ships, the greater the odds are that someone will need to be airlifted with or without a pandemic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree with your husband. However I think it will only be for a period of time in the beginning of the cruise start up. It will eventually end. With or without Covid-19 you become a risk the older you get. The more passengers of all ages, that they load on these ships, the greater the odds are that someone will need to be airlifted with or without a pandemic.

Cruisers come on board ships KNOWING they are sick, not having a bad 'allergy day', actually sick.  They know it and they do it anyway -- cruisers of all ages.  Young families do it, because they can't afford to lose the money, when cruising with their kids...older people do it, because they can't afford to lose the money ---- LATE cancellations don't easily get refunded.  It takes effort.  

I resent the assumption that simply because I am older I am at more risk....well, I have seen awfully young cruisers, above the legal drinking age, get 10 shades to the wind (so to speak) -- they surely offer a big risk for doing more dangerous things. What will an older person do --- go to sleep early.  

Health history is private and should remain private.  A doctors note on a Monday, means nothing moments after you leave their office.  

6 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Cruisers come on board ships KNOWING they are sick, not having a bad 'allergy day', actually sick.  They know it and they do it anyway -- cruisers of all ages.  Young families do it, because they can't afford to lose the money, when cruising with their kids...older people do it, because they can't afford to lose the money ---- LATE cancellations don't easily get refunded.  It takes effort.  

I resent the assumption that simply because I am older I am at more risk....well, I have seen awfully young cruisers, above the legal drinking age, get 10 shades to the wind (so to speak) -- they surely offer a big risk for doing more dangerous things. What will an older person do --- go to sleep early.  

Health history is private and should remain private.  A doctors note on a Monday, means nothing moments after you leave their office.  

Older folks are generally more of a risk of complications all things being equal

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I resent the assumption that simply because I am older I am at more risk...

You may resent it, but it's still true in general for older passengers.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

Look, there is no way in heck the industry survives if it cuts off 70+ cruisers. They not only make up a significant chuck of cruisers, they complement younger cruisers. They eat at different times, do different things, have more flexible schedules, etc. We can debate whether it's smart to cut off older cruisers, whether it's moral to cut off older cruisers. But they aren't being cut off, or none of us are cruising. 

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Agreed.  Few people doubt that older people are at more of a risk of complications from Covid-19.  The statistics bear it out.

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Older folks are generally more of a risk of complications all things being equal

I was on a sailing and a young man (age eligible to drink) was out drinking, going up and down the street from bar to bar and slipped off the side walk and broke his leg.   He was in a wheel chair the next day with his leg bandaged up, knowing that the leg was broken, but the hospital could not put it in a cast until the swelling went down.  The ship would be back in port by then and he could get it attended to.   He was bragging about his behavior and its unfortunate result.

Generalizations don't mean a hill of beans to me.  If it did, people would NEVER accomplish what others tell them they 'can't do'.

15 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Health history is private and should remain private.  A doctor's note on a Monday, means nothing moments after you leave their office.  

I agree with this but I also know that I'm at more risk now at almost 60 than I was at 30.  That's just a general fact of life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is that for europe sailings too?

I believe so. 

I do know that the Patrick Space Force air/sea rescue helicopters picked up some German sailors a few years ago. It's a reciprocal treaty

18 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

I was on a sailing and a young man (age eligible to drink) was out drinking, going up and down the street from bar to bar and slipped off the side walk and broke his leg.   He was in a wheel chair the next day with his leg bandaged up, knowing that the leg was broken, but the hospital could not put it in a cast until the swelling went down.  The ship would be back in port by then and he could get it attended to.   He was bragging about his behavior and its unfortunate result.

Generalizations don't mean a hill of beans to me.  If it did, people would NEVER accomplish what others tell them they 'can't do'.

I'm sorry you don't get it. We are discussing COVID, not drunk 20 year olds. The medical facilities are better equiped to deal with that, than respiratory infections decimating our older populous.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  Few people doubt that older people are at more of a risk of complications from Covid-19.  The statistics bear it out.

What we don't know is whether being old by itself makes people more at risk. Or if being old just means you are more likely to have underlying conditions that exacerbate the virus.

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

What we don't know is whether being old by itself makes people more at risk. Or if being old just means you are more likely to have underlying conditions that exacerbate the virus.

Probably the latter. They know they can't properly deal with complications.  

38 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Cruise lines did not suspend operations because people drank too much on their ships or because someone broke their leg on a cruise. They suspended cruises due to the COVID-19 virus. Whether you like it or not, statistics have shown older people and people with health issues are more susceptible to this virus. When cruise lines resume operations there is no doubt in my mind they are going to implement some kind of health assessment/screening of passengers. If people aren’t willing to comply with guidelines like this, than cruise lines will have the right to keep these people from boarding their ships. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Covid 19 knows no boundaries....neither age, nor race, nor zip code. Who struggles recovering has to do with underlying complicating health conditions and probably complicated by whether they seek medical attention early with an early diagnosis or later.  Obesity (which all ages in our society) adds to risk, as well as diabetes (which affects all ages),  circulatory disease which is affected by both items already mentioned and then you can add cardiac issues, which all 3 previously mentioned have an adverse affect on.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm sorry you don't get it. We are discussing COVID, not drunk 20 year olds. The medical facilities are better equiped to deal with that, than respiratory infections decimating our older populous.

Risk of getting the disease reaches ALL ages, it isn't discriminatory.  

Just now, Paulette3028 said:

Risk of getting the disease reaches ALL ages, it isn't discriminatory.  

Absolutely, few would challenge that. 

The problem is older people on average, tend to be more likely to require critical care that the cruise lines just can't provide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You might feel in fine fettle in your 60s, and it's great that you are, but the fact is you're 30-40 years past a human's general physical peak, so it's just common sense that percentage wise, you're deemed more at risk.

We get older, and things don't work as well, to a greater or lesser extent, it's natural progression, innit?  When I was 25, I felt I was indestructible. Another 25 years on, there's plenty of signs that it's not really the case anymore lol