Alaska canceled

Hawaiidan

Well hoo-ha......Oceania   just canceled ALL Alaska cruise for July....  Probable August too...tuesday, saying cruise canceled

Time to forget about 2020 cruises till another year.

11021237_1380121318972426_3679588840665931928_n.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

43 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well hoo-ha......Oceania   just canceled ALL Alaska cruise for July....  Probable August too...tuesday, saying cruise canceled

Source please; link would be useful.  Oceania website still has Alaska cruises for sale.

thanks,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I don't get it Hawaii Dan. I can book an Alaska cruise in July, August and Sept if I were goofy enough to do it. The prices are great.

So does that mean that Canada has opened their ports? Doesn't that determine what Alaska cruises can do.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Source please; link would be useful.  Oceania website still has Alaska cruises for sale.

thanks,

Marc

My source was my Agent    I booked on Monday a July 13 cruise Seward to Vancouver.  Got  confirmation from O  booking number, cabin and everything.... 

Tuesday  they decided to cancel  My agent said  all the cabins were listed as "wait-listed" and they are in the process of shutting down Alaska... 

August probably will be next.......Go call O  and you will get the same message 

The only good thing was that it was within the 24 hour  rule for the airlines   so ALL funds were reversed on my cc..   no refund as the card had not fully processed..... 

Its a deadman's hand to plan for any cruise in 2020 in my opinion

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clo said:

So does that mean that Canada has opened their ports? Doesn't that determine what Alaska cruises can do.

Nope and nope to those leaving from Seattle. I'm just saying if I were dumb enough to I could book it if wanted to regardless online. O hasn't cancelled them yet. I am booked on a May 17 yukky NCL Alaska cruise for a family reunion. I'm certainly not going but NCL hasn't cancelled it yet. Apparently they want to take care of the first two waves of refunds first. All I know is they aren't cancelled.

In revising this post I see that Hawaii Dan has spoken directly to O and the cruises ARE cancelled.

Edited by Petoonya

22 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I don't get it Hawaii Dan. I can book an Alaska cruise in July, August and Sept if I were goofy enough to do it. The prices are great.

Well I gave it a shot.....goofy enough to try anything  after 6 weeks at home.   Prices are great.....thats it.      In trying to book land portions I found 75% of the hotels  are not even going to open for the summer...............  it just gets better and better

15 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well I gave it a shot.....goofy enough to try anything  after 6 weeks at home.   Prices are great.....thats it.      In trying to book land portions I found 75% of the hotels  are not even going to open for the summer...............  it just gets better and better

Hmm, I think we're going to be happy to have bought our little motor home.

9 hours ago, clo said:

Hmm, I think we're going to be happy to have bought our little motor home.

Except that many (most) campgrounds are closed. If you don't need any hook ups, there is always BLM land.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Except that many (most) campgrounds are closed. If you don't need any hook ups, there is always BLM land.

Many but not most. Many state and federal ones. But I'm talking more a couple of months from now as restrictions ease perhaps a little. Hopefully.

13 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

My source was my Agent    I booked on Monday a July 13 cruise Seward to Vancouver.  Got  confirmation from O  booking number, cabin and everything.... 

Tuesday  they decided to cancel  My agent said  all the cabins were listed as "wait-listed" and they are in the process of shutting down Alaska... 

August probably will be next.......Go call O  and you will get the same message 

The only good thing was that it was within the 24 hour  rule for the airlines   so ALL funds were reversed on my cc..   no refund as the card had not fully processed..... 

Its a deadman's hand to plan for any cruise in 2020 in my opinion

If it’s too good to be true, there is a reason.  Most likely, if the Canadian ports or Seattle are closed, sailing to Alaska could be difficult. Those cruises and many others this summer are all listed as wait listed. They probably will not sail.  If you are really interested in Alaska this summer, you can see it without cruising. Fly in, drive in, and see the interior in addition to the coast.  Cruising to Alaska only lets you see a very small part of the state. Since you were intending to vacation in a July, go on your own. It won’t be crowded. Just make sure the hotels, restaurants, etc. will be open. 

24 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Cruising to Alaska only lets you see a very small part of the state. Since you were intending to vacation in a July, go on your own

..and bring lots of mosquito repellent 😀

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

..and bring lots of mosquito repellent 😀

wait till after the first frost end of August/ earily september  when it kills off the  population... and do not forget  the Deer flys,  the Black flies  ,  No-ee-um's  and Yellow Jackets     

33 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

If it’s too good to be true, there is a reason.  Most likely, if the Canadian ports or Seattle are closed, sailing to Alaska could be difficult. Those cruises and many others this summer are all listed as wait listed. They probably will not sail.  If you are really interested in Alaska this summer, you can see it without cruising. Fly in, drive in, and see the interior in addition to the coast.  Cruising to Alaska only lets you see a very small part of the state. Since you were intending to vacation in a July, go on your own. It won’t be crowded. Just make sure the hotels, restaurants, etc. will be open. 

Thats the problem    I spent 2 days just trying to find a place to stay near Denali.... ALL the big lodges ( who are run by HAL, NCL, Princess) are not even opening      Those that are staying open  are charging $400+ per night    Even in Anchorage $400 is the going rate...

Spent time in AK. and NW as a NPS Ranger.... So I know the drill... and the turf...  Most of the labor for the hotels and restaurants and tourist activities and tours all is seasonal and comes from the lower 48 as the say.    This year  no one is hiring their seasonal staffs so there is no service people.      NPS  has even closed ALL climbing permits in the Alaska and St Elias ranges.....   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

We've considered the Alaska State Ferry.

Alaska had a 14 day mandatory quarantine order in effect for all travelers entering the state that was set to expire yesterday, April 21. Does anyone know if it was allowed to expire or was it extended?

A mandatory quarantine for travelers would effectively prevent any tourism.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Well if they had to quarantine in a hotel at least they would be making some money 😉

Then I wonder if couple have to have 2 rooms so they self isolate apart ?

Not my idea of a good time

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Alaska had a 14 day mandatory quarantine order in effect for all travelers entering the state that was set to expire yesterday, April 21. Does anyone know if it was allowed to expire or was it extended?

Hawaii  has the same deal  as  does Australia....... 2020  aint your year

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Well if they had to quarantine in a hotel at least they would be making some money 😉

Then I wonder if couple have to have 2 rooms so they self isolate apart ?

Not my idea of a good time

And a $5000 hotel bill too  swallow  before  your even starting the trip outside.....add another $1400 for meals   it just gets better and better