The loyalty of MSC passengers.......

Mattnvick

3 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Would anyone pay their Final Payment to MSC this year ?  Can you trust MSC ?

There's not a chance I would make a final payment with any cruise line this year. I wish I wasn't paid in full for my trip May 30th. I personally think there are going to be some that are either going to fall or restructure with bankruptcies. Either way, those of us with FCC or refunds stand a good chance of never seeing their refund or FCC. I hope that MSC is strong, but I really don't expect to ever see my $8,000 I paid. 

Since MSC is a private company they’re harder to follow. At this time the big three (Carnival, NCL and RCCL) have made financial moves to keep them going for the next five to six months. With that said I would be careful about booking or paying for cruises until the current situation becomes more clear. 

• Like 1

We all know that the world is experiencing both a health pandemic and an economic crisis.  I have to imagine that,  just as many of us are feeling the crunch, so too are the cruise lines in a difficult position.  Which ones have enough available cash to refund everyone's payments without bankrupting the company or driving it into an oppressive debt burden?   I assume that is why MSC is offering the 125% FCC.  If they can entice enough passengers to opt for the larger amount for a future cruise, they won't have to drain their accounts or borrow money to pay out the cash refunds now.  While I am a big fan of MSC, the cynic in me does wonder if they will simply raise prices by 25% to render that additional "bonus"  moot. Still, I very much want MSC to survive and certainly intend to use my FCC to book when it seems safe to do so.  

A table on a UK travel agents site pasted below. You can probably guess who is slowest. 

How long is it taking for the cruise lines to refund bookings?

The cruise lines have published these guidelines for issuing cruise refunds from the date they receive the refund request:

• Azamara - 30 days
  • Carnival - 90 days
  • Celebrity - 45 days
  • Crystal - 30 days
  • Cunard - 60 days
  • HAL - 60 days
  • MSC - 120 days
  • NCL - 90 days
  • P&O - 60 days
  • Princess - 60 days
  • Royal Caribbean - 30 days
  • Virgin Voyages - 30 days
  • Thanks 1

@stephenSJ Thanks for sharing that little tid bit. 

With MSC when all goes well  its smooth sailing, but any glitches result in poor customer service.  This is why I always recommend MSC with the caveat that they are a budget cruise line and their policies are less consumer friendly than other lines.

3 hours ago, stephenSJ said:

A table on a UK travel agents site pasted below. You can probably guess who is slowest. 

How long is it taking for the cruise lines to refund bookings?

The cruise lines have published these guidelines for issuing cruise refunds from the date they receive the refund request:

• Azamara - 30 days
  • Carnival - 90 days
  • Celebrity - 45 da
  • Crystal - 30 days
  • Cunard - 60 days
  • HAL - 60 days
  • MSC - 120 days
  • NCL - 90 days
  • P&O - 60 days
  • Princess - 60 days
  • Royal Caribbean - 30 days
  • Virgin Voyages - 30 days

I know this is the UK and from travel agents but I find this interesting especially with it showing Royal refunding in 30 days as if you go to their cruise critic forum there are pages and pages of people complaining that they haven't recived their refund (some started to trickle out just last Friday) and its been well over the 30 days this list talks about. Does it mean in the UK Royal gave priority to the TA's?

1 hour ago, Mattnvick said:

I know this is the UK and from travel agents but I find this interesting especially with it showing Royal refunding in 30 days as if you go to their cruise critic forum there are pages and pages of people complaining that they haven't recived their refund (some started to trickle out just last Friday) and its been well over the 30 days this list talks about. Does it mean in the UK Royal gave priority to the TA's?

Just curious, how can it be "well over 30 days" when the first cruises from Royal were cancelled at the end of march? I would think we are just now getting to the 30 day mark. Not saying RCL isn't taking longer, but I would think if they started paying last Friday that is about 30 days. Pretty darn good in my mind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just curious, how can it be "well over 30 days" when the first cruises from Royal were cancelled at the end of march? I would think we are just now getting to the 30 day mark. Not saying RCL isn't taking longer, but I would think if they started paying last Friday that is about 30 days. Pretty darn good in my mind.

Seems a  lot of people cancelled well before the cruise line did as they were getting nervous but were still entitled to a refund many were still waiting. 17 pages on it so far on just one thread and there are other threads Some have started to get it but a lot haven't.

12 minutes ago, Até said:

MSC's policy has been X days after the cancelled sail date, not X days after the refund form was submitted.

We all know they change this at their leisure.

I can tell you the email I got when submitting form said within 60 days.  It did not say from end of sailing or start of sailing.  The only date that could be inferred from what was in the email was the date of the email.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

We all know they change this at their leisure.

I can tell you the email I got when submitting form said within 60 days.  It did not say from end of sailing or start of sailing.  The only date that could be inferred from what was in the email was the date of the email.

I'm doubling down on what Dexddd said. The exact words on my receipt of refund are..... "Your refund will be processed within 60 days".   No mention that it would be processed "X days after the sailing date".  I call BS.

Here is my receipt in it's entirely. If MSC was implying that my refund would be process within 60 days of sailing, shame on them. Very deceptive and deliberately misleading.

image.png.e2f2c5a23c21c5ed2cf6dc0af5bd0993.png

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this.  We were just notified that our cruise in June is cancelled. We cannot apply for refund until Sunday. The wording now is also confusing.  It states 60 days from date of cruise or 60 days from refund request. I guess they get to choose which date they want to use?   No qualifiers like, which ever comes first or last.

The refund will be the furthest out of the two.  Note the word is not latter, it's later.  So no matter how long before the sail date you fill out the form it will be 60 days after sail date.  And if you wait and submit the form days after your sail date it will be 60 days after you filled out the form - not a likely scenario.

Request a Refund
We hope you choose to reschedule your cruise for a future date. However, we understand this may not be the ideal option for you. If you choose not to take the Future Cruise Credit, a refund will be issued the later of either 60 days after the original sail date or 60 days from the date you complete the online form.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cancelled-Cruises-Miami.aspx

Edited by Até

3 hours ago, Até said:

The refund will be the furthest out of the two.  Note the word is not latter, it's later.  So no matter how long before the sail date you fill out the form it will be 60 days after sail date.  And if you wait and submit the form days after your sail date it will be 60 days after you filled out the form - not a likely scenario.

Request a Refund
We hope you choose to reschedule your cruise for a future date. However, we understand this may not be the ideal option for you. If you choose not to take the Future Cruise Credit, a refund will be issued the later of either 60 days after the original sail date or 60 days from the date you complete the online form.

Except that specific language of 'later' was just added to the web site. There was no disclaimer under my request of refund. It does seem MSC changes their policies on a whim. I was going to give them 90 days, but the more I'm seeing, the less I"m liking.

I don't know why they even bothered mentioning the submission date.  It was always worded refund in so many days from sail date.  I think many people didn't see/understand that on the website.  Then it was compounded by the submission acknowledgement email that just said 60 days, so now they have people expecting it 60 days from that email.  Hopefully MSC can keep up with those expectations, I bet the confirmation emails will be different with this batch.

6 hours ago, Até said:

Request a Refund

Your correct, the key word here is "Later." My sail date of May 30th was cancelled and with this it means I will not see a refund  of my $8,000 for 90 days. I truly hope this is not a delay tactic with MSC because they are in financial trouble and are considering restructuring with a bankruptcy. I hope not, but there are certainly cruise lines that will have no option but to file. 

Edited by lastchamp64

9 hours ago, sidari said:

Those who claim a refund in the UK have to wait 120 days.

And the email confirming receipt says from the date of request. Despite the fact that we requested this (via our TA) on the day they cancelled our cruise (mid March) I had received no acknowledgement of this so sent another request when they finally published the email address on the website (23rd April). This means I 'should' receive my refund the third week in August. I fully expect that not to happen as this company seem to use whatever tricks and subterfuge they can. Look forward to hearing from anyone who does actually get a refund from them.

12 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Except that specific language of 'later' was just added to the web site. There was no disclaimer under my request of refund. It does seem MSC changes their policies on a whim. I was going to give them 90 days, but the more I'm seeing, the less I"m liking.

Having sailed MSC only once before and our last cruise, I was attempting to find something for hopefully September. Between a Carnival Bermuda and a B2B on MSC from Miami. I know sailing in September is a chance not a given. 

I was going to put my deposits down, but went digging for their cancellations to be "sure" because I read here 60 days which I am okay with. Not ideal but I could cope. This changed shortly before I booked to that 60 days after sail date....

Guess who didn't make me a loyal cruiser with them? I liked MSC even though... my Europe cruise was interesting. In the end, I decided it was better to give Carnival $ that would start the countdown from the cancel date if there is one vs knowing I wouldn't get my $ back until November... 

Carnival was not horrible to deal with for our canceled September cruise, family members have told me that changing with Princess and RCL has been a breeze to deal with. Only luck I had was with Air Canada refunding seat fees when they canceled the flight to Europe but still had me coming back. Ticketed through United, and they had to fight with Air Canada to get my refund which is okay at least. But this whole situation is a mess. 

60 days sure, 90 days..pushing it. MSC holding my funds for 150 days from final payment? That pushes it to a new low IMO.

Just to put this all in to perspective at least you can all talk and speculate  about your refunds which hopefully you will get in  60, 90 or 120 days time.

Some of us dont get that option. Refund only after December 2021  if we haven't used our FCC. 

Don't like to think what might happen if we disagree with this blackmail by not even applying for the FCC. Maybe our money just disappears into their coffers for ever........😏.

On 4/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, Até said:

I would say the majority of MSC's customers will take a substantial loss of deposit if they don't make final payment.  And I question whether MSC's US policy of "fully" refundable deposits (until final payment) will continue.

Is it company policy, or is it US consumer law? It is unique to the US market, but is it unique to MSC?

2 hours ago, ssmea03 said:

Is it company policy, or is it US consumer law? It is unique to the US market, but is it unique to MSC?

I probably should have quoted, but that post was in response to Mickey89 from the UK regarding not making final payment.  A vast majority of MSC customers will lose their deposit if they decide to cancel before final payment.  I do not think it has anything to do with US law, just an expectation of the US market regarding many US cruise lines who offer the refundable deposit terms.  MSC has(d) been willing to play along to get the US customers.

ETA: The US being offered a full refund for the MSC cancelled cruises is rooted in US law.

Edited by Até

4 hours ago, Até said:

ETA: The US being offered a full refund for the MSC cancelled cruises is rooted in US law.

It's in the law in many countries in Europe too. The question is if the cruiselines will be able to change the law, or get away with FCC because this is a very special situation.

• Like 1