Anybody worried about cruise lines further nickel and diming in response to coronavirus?

ren0312

Like if you look at the quality of the food at the buffet and main dining room, there really is a very heavy temptation to seriously cut food quality and make the food barely edible at the complimentary and get rid of things like lobster nights, in order to force people to eat at the specialty restaurants because the food at the free venues is so bad, so that the cruise lines can make more money from the specialty restaurants, or do things like charge 5 dollars for a glass of tap water.

They already have.  It is one reason why we are not cruising nearly as often as we have in the past.   Cutbacks have made other travel options more attractive to us. 

We vote with our feet and our wallets.

We recognize that it is impossible to maintain the same quality and not raise prices over 10. 15, 20 years.  We are willing, and we expect to pay more.   Those who expect mass market prices and high end food, service, etc. are fooling themselves.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

“Nickel and dining” has been (and will continue to be) part of mass market cruise lines’ business models for some time - the only “response to coronavirus” in that connection might be that basic required face masks would be provided — but for an additional fee, more effective higher quality face masks would be available - much the way alternate dining options have been until now.

I think this is nonsense. If there are 4000 customers on a cruise ship how on earth are the MDR and speciality restaurants going to cope? Yes they will nickel and dime, but it will come from things like beverage packs, and pay as you go drinks.

Don't be surprised if service charges and the like increase substantially over a period of time. 

29 minutes ago, ren0312 said:

Like if you look at the quality of the food at the buffet and main dining room, there really is a very heavy temptation to seriously cut food quality and make the food barely edible at the complimentary and get rid of things like lobster nights, in order to force people to eat at the specialty restaurants because the food at the free venues is so bad, so that the cruise lines can make more money from the specialty restaurants, or do things like charge 5 dollars for a glass of tap water.

None of that makes sense.  Whenever the lockdowns are over and the cruise lines start sailing again they will have to be at the top of their game to get vacation dollars back and keep them returning.  That isn't happening is you skimp on dining and other on board experiences. Despite some hard core cruisers on a travel forum,  most people view cruise ships like a leper colony at this point.

Would you really cruise if a line were to charge you 5 dollars for a glass of tap water?  I'm sure that was said tongue-in-cheek but it's silly nonetheless.

30 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Despite some hard core cruisers on a travel forum,  most people view cruise ships like a leper colony at this point.

I think that's a perfect description.

Yes, thinking about a cruise, pining away about cruising, booking a cruise is for us akin to planning a vacation to a leper colony.

It is completely out of our minds and indeed out of our planning.  We are now looking forward (hopefully) to three extended trips over the next 18 months.  We have not given even the slightest thought to attaching a cruise to any of them.  We have moved on.   It is not just covid, it is the cruise line response to covid and how, in our opinion, they continued to place  customers and employees in harms way. 

Miyagi say ok for cruise posters to philosophize,  wax on,  wax off.

Lately though,  too too many wax off.

Miyagi say Ethics vs Capitalism old way of thinking.

New way is Ethics vs Capitalism vs Health\Safety

World must now find balance...in new equation.....must triangulate....

Edited by JRG

1 hour ago, gerryuk said:

I think this is nonsense. If there are 4000 customers on a cruise ship how on earth are the MDR and speciality restaurants going to cope? Yes they will nickel and dime, but it will come from things like beverage packs, and pay as you go drinks.

Don't be surprised if service charges and the like increase substantially over a period of time. 

Cruise ships are designed to have enough capacity to feed everyone in essentially two shifts.

2 hours ago, ren0312 said:

A real first world problem...particularly right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ren0312 said:

I don't worry about it at all.  As long as I enjoy the experience then I'm good.  I think I actually might prefer an ala carte approach where I pay for only what I want.  Those who want everything included under one single price will pay more of course for that higher level of everything.   I don't think there is anything wrong with either approach.  

Of course I would not accept unreasonable charges like $5 for a glass of water.  I've always been able to find foods I enjoy.  But if things, as you say, got to the barely edible stage, I think I would do something else.    BTW, I have not found lobster on cruise ships I've attended to be that good for a long time.   It probably should have been eliminated a few years ago.    

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

BTW, I have not found lobster on cruise ships I've attended to be that good for a long time.  

Have you ever traveled on Oceania? More expensive but I tell ya those cooked to order lobster tails, shrimp, lamb chops etc. are sure good. And that's at their buffet...every day.

IMG_7074 - Edited (1).jpg

Edited by clo

11 hours ago, ren0312 said:

I'd say it already is B rated and C rated food.   The buffet is just all you can eat and inline with the worst of college food dorms, the only thing is more choices and open all the time.

The main dining room is just that same fare put in a fancy atmosphere, a little more freshly cooked and less assembly line,  but the quality/taste of the food is B rated, kind of like the once a quarter or special holiday meal served in college dorms too.  

The only real good food where there is care and attention is the special dining and the price you pay there ends up pretty much close to a 3 star dine out in town.  Considering the cost of the help the cruise line is making money.

There is little left to cut, food is bought in bulk and tastes exactly like that.  Things like lobster or steak aren't even close to what you can get at Costco.  

That all being said the atmosphere of sit down dinner is still enjoyable, but my kids as the grew up and enjoy and appreciate real good food have found the sit down just tolerable and specialty ( you paid what for that! ), the only reason we cruise is for the different ports, no worries B-C food/entertainment, new port / in port food/sights and then on to the next one.  Cruising still a unique value, but anyone who thinks lying by a overcrowded pool playing loud music with a bunch of crazy buffet loving folks is "the" vacation or a "value" that can't be beat needs to get out more.

Don't get me wrong, great value, worth doing once a year or every other year mixed in with a other things.   Or if that is all you do, you aren't seeing what a vacation, fine dining, real pool/drink experience is really like, LOL

How when cruising comes back they will need to add a lot of new wash wash and test test protocols and prices will be low as they need to get the revenue stream going. The new procedures aren't much to the cost, the issue is the lines will be hurting from high debt and a gap of 6-9 months of no cash.    Don't forget the world is awash in cheap money and desperate business, everything will be cheaper as discretionary spending will be limited with double digit unemployment, those that can travel and spend will be catered to!

17 hours ago, clo said:

Have you ever traveled on Oceania? More expensive but I tell ya those cooked to order lobster tails, shrimp, lamb chops etc. are sure good. And that's at their buffet...every day.

you ate all that ?

On 4/24/2020 at 4:45 PM, clo said:

Nope.  Have looked into it (Oceania) seriously but as yet do not think it is a good match for us. 

Cruise ships can't possible keep fresh lobster for banquet counts of diners.  If you have ever had fresh Maine lobster, you would understand my comment.     

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Cruise ships can't possible keep fresh lobster for banquet counts of diners.  If you have ever had fresh Maine lobster, you would understand my comment.     

Oh I hear ya. But lobster, shrimp, fish for sushi, etc. are frequently frozen and don't suffer much if any.  And those lobsters and shrimp were really, really good. Being Left Coast people it was as good as we've had.

52 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh I hear ya. But lobster, shrimp, fish for sushi, etc. are frequently frozen and don't suffer much if any.  And those lobsters and shrimp were really, really good. Being Left Coast people it was as good as we've had.

Not sure what your constant referral to left coast has to do with lobster.  But that aside, I'm glad you liked your lobster tail.  If you ever get a chance, have some lobster fresh caught off the coast of Maine.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Not sure what your constant referral to left coast has to do with lobster.

That unless one can pay for  delivery of live lobster then that's the best we can do. Dagnabbit.

On 4/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, chipmaster said:

I'd say it already is B rated and C rated food.   The buffet is just all you can eat and inline with the worst of college food dorms, the only thing is more choices and open all the time.

I generally agree that 3-star is appropriate for most. But buffets like the worst dorm food - no way, or you haven't been in many dorm cafeterias. I recall joining one of my son's at his college dining hall for breakfast.  I walked over to get some scrambled eggs.  Turned out to be a tray of cheetos.  Lol.    And, open all the time?  What line is that.  

Edited by ldubs

3 minutes ago, clo said:

That unless one can pay for  delivery of live lobster then that's the best we can do. Dagnabbit.

Years ago, when I was a teenager, I joined my buddy for a run to the airport to help pick up up several crates of live Maine lobster and deliver them.  And when I was in college, I had a buddy who used to catch pacific lobster off the coast of La Jolla.