December 2020 out of NY?

CruiseBride926

We have a cruise booked for the end of December out of NY and I’m starting to wonder if I should cancel and make alternate plans. I know at this point the best anybody could do is guess but with Carnival canceling all 2020 cruises out of NY do you think Norwegian will follow suit? I’m eyeing a similar cruise with Royal out of Baltimore in November. We have a cruise with them booked in 2021 also so if they cancel I’d at least have use for the FCC.

Personally, I don't think there will be cruises in NY in December. The problem is 2 fold. First NY is the center of all of this in the united states and they will take longer to clear up. Secondly, They are talking of the likelihood of a second wave in the fall...

both of those things make cruising in NY in December unlikely to me

• Like 7

I am doubting our Jan 3, 2021 cruise is going to go.  If, in September, it looks still like it does now, I won't make final payment and cancel.

I am also really wondering about my April Transatlantic.  We are booked on a ship coming back to the US also.  So it's kind of all up in the air. 

47 minutes ago, MaryZ said:

I am doubting our Jan 3, 2021 cruise is going to go.  If, in September, it looks still like it does now, I won't make final payment and cancel.

I am also really wondering about my April Transatlantic.  We are booked on a ship coming back to the US also.  So it's kind of all up in the air. 

So it's kind of all up in the air. 

That is putting it rather succinctly  - airplane flights up in the air and all the majors are looking at returning downsized

cabin services seating and frequency of operation and fares set high enough to return to the plus side of the ledger !

Thus probably will not see a great deal of promos air and cruise packages - there will not be that kind of flexibility.

Only consolation at this point is the price of fuel !

Maybe the tie breaker in this pandemic will be finding a vaccine that can be made for all and timely !

Hopefully with no restrictions other than before your next cruise get your dose or shot of it.

12 hours ago, CruiseBride926 said:

We have a cruise booked for the end of December out of NY and I’m starting to wonder if I should cancel and make alternate plans. I know at this point the best anybody could do is guess but with Carnival canceling all 2020 cruises out of NY do you think Norwegian will follow suit? I’m eyeing a similar cruise with Royal out of Baltimore in November. We have a cruise with them booked in 2021 also so if they cancel I’d at least have use for the FCC.

IMHO the reason CCL cancelled out of NY is they were running only one ship the Sunrise. The last scheduled cruise was a repro on Oct 19. It probably was not worth the effort to get to NY for the few cruises left in the year.

Ncl has more ships out of NY scheduled. I may book something in November IF NCL starts sailing again.

44 minutes ago, JayS said:

IMHO the reason CCL cancelled out of NY is they were running only one ship the Sunrise. The last scheduled cruise was a repro on Oct 19. It probably was not worth the effort to get to NY for the few cruises left in the year.

Ncl has more ships out of NY scheduled. I may book something in November IF NCL starts sailing again.

Carnival had 2-3 ships sailing out of NYC:

May: Carnival Legend and Carnival Sunrise. I was booked on the Carnival Legend cruise that got canceled.

June: Carnival Legend, Carnival Sunrise and Carnival Radiance. The Carnival Legend had only one cruise in June for a transatlantic to Europe and the Carnival Radiance was schedule to arrive in late June

July to October: Carnival Sunrise and Carnival Radiance.

Then the dominoes started failing:

Carnival Legend Europe cruises for the summer was canceled so they was no need for that ship to repro between Florida, New York and then to Europe so all of the ships scheduled cruises were canceled.

Carnival Radiance was in Spain in dry dock for refurbishment. Delays at the shipyard caused all of the schedule cruises to be canceled.

Carnival Sunrise repro between Florida, Norfolk and New York. Norfolk and New York is seasonal home ports for Carnival and due to that, Carnival just canceled all of the schedule sailings because it does not make sense to send a ship here for a few cruises and then repro back down south. Carnival New York sailings is always between May/June to October

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I do not think any ships will sail from NY in 2020.   We have an 11 night out of Tampa (on Celebrity) in March 2021 and I don't think that will happen either.  Hope I'm wrong.

My wife and I had an 11 day booked on the Jade out of Tampa in February 2021. Cancelled it 6 weeks ago. Don't want to cruise until one of three things happens, everyone gets the virus, their is a vaccine (12-24 months away) or it magically disappears 

• Like 4

I'm not giving up on NY yet, and mine is booked for November. I live in state and can travel to the port. But more importantly, I follow the news from all over. Because of what NY did early on (along with the neighboring states), we are coming down from our curve. Other states are still going up, and they are opening while still going up. I think we will be okay by fall, as long as the second wave doesn't come until winter. Only my opinion of course, but I am hopeful. DH and I are both essential workers in the social work field, still going into work every day. So yes, selfish thoughts from me too. But I'm still hopeful.

10 hours ago, Laszlo said:

FEB 28
“It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will magically disappear.” 
 Donald Trump 

Pay no attention to that acting doctor behind the wizards curtain  - - -

clicking the heels together three times is not going to cure immune the virus !

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Pay no attention to that acting doctor behind the wizards curtain  - - -

clicking the heels together three times is not going to cure immune the virus !

Hopefully a vaccine will come sooner rather then later

• Like 2

I think for the next several years, it will be very easy to book a last minute cruise.   I wouldn't book any cruise more than about a month ahead.   It would eliminate the anxiety about it and you'll get a better deal.    Cruise ships won't be running full for a long time and definitely not in December out of NYC!

• Like 3

On 4/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, MaryZ said:

This may be the same cruise as ours (Getaway) and we will keep an eye on it as the final payment date approaches.  There are so many things about this cruise to love, but we will wait if necessary.  I think that the Getaway is supposed to be in Europe this summer.  If they have to change her itinerary, maybe she could sail out of another US port in January if NYC is still closed?  

On 4/28/2020 at 1:56 AM, Vyhanek said:

I think for the next several years, it will be very easy to book a last minute cruise.   I wouldn't book any cruise more than about a month ahead.   It would eliminate the anxiety about it and you'll get a better deal.    Cruise ships won't be running full for a long time and definitely not in December out of NYC!

I wouldn`t be sure that there will be last minute cheap deals available.

If cruising will resume, most cruise lines will operate at a very limited capacity. And there will be enough people willing to cruise as soon as possible so that all available capacity will be either sold out shortly or if not, they will sell the remaining cabins as expensive as possible.