SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

On 12/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, TLCOhio said:

Been checking my mail box and nothing has come in from Silversea about any type of discount and/or "deal" for watching that promotion segment.  That "LIVE" segment was Monday and now it is Saturday morning.

Terry, I hope you got the email Saturday. Mine arrived at 7:09 am Saturday. Note that the email is from Cruise Critic (news@email.cruisecritic.com), not from Silversea; the subject line is "Thank you for attending Cruise Critic Live with Silversea!"

That said, the offer of $500 off per suite expires on Monday, so unless you were poised to book something and were just waiting for this offer, it's really much ado about nothing. 😉

Edited by cruiseej

32 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Terry, I hope you got the email Saturday. Mine arrived at 7:09 am Saturday. Note that the email is from Cruise Critic (news@email.cruisecritic.com), not from Silversea; the subject line is "Thank you for attending Cruise Critic Live with Silversea!"

That said, the offer of $500 off per suite expires on Monday, so unless you were poised to book something and were just waiting for this offer, it's really much ado about nothing. 😉

It’s is worth one word ‘crap’

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I had both registered for and attended the talk and did not receive this email - though as you say I wouldn't have used the tiny and short-term discount anyway.

Yes, I can think of so many other little bonuses that would have been more appealling, such as even $100 extra OBC if you book within the next 6 months or so - that would pay for laundry or a nice bottle of wine.

14 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Terry, I hope you got the email Saturday. Mine arrived at 7:09 am Saturday. Note that the email is from Cruise Critic (news@email.cruisecritic.com), not from Silversea; That said, the offer of $500 off per suite expires on Monday, so unless you were poised to book something and were just waiting for this offer, it's really much ado about nothing. 😉

Appreciate these details and this follow-up from our Philadelphia-area suburban neighbor.  As of Monday am, I still have not received that $500 per suite offer.  With such a short deadline and under the current uncertainties, I doubt it would make a difference for us to make a commitment right now.   

From the Wall Street Journal yesterday, they had this headline: Cruise Pricing Risks Sailing Off the Deep End" with this sub-headline: "Such pricing has never been a better deal for consumers in some cases. But companies can’t afford for that dynamic to last.”

Here are some of their reporting details/highlights:  "A prolonged pandemic is sinking near-term pricing for many cruises. The question, for an industry that badly needs the sales after more than a year largely ashore, is whether today’s discounts will weigh on cruise pricing longer term.  All three major cruise lines have recently voiced a focus on retaining ticket prices amid new Covid-19 variants. But as companies have been reintroducing ships back into the waters, they have had shorter timelines to sell near-term tickets. That has led to discounting to tempt people onboard in the coming months, especially as variants have proliferated and breakthrough infections in vaccinated consumers occur.  A note out from Truist Securities last month showed discounted ticket pricing by Carnival Corp. and Royal Caribbean Group for sailings in the first half of next year, citing conversations with senior executives at large travel agencies that specialize in cruises.  Royal Caribbean’s webpage opened to an offer of '30% off all guests,' plus additional discounts.

For Silversea, I do not think we have seen such discounting.  Right?  Here is more from this WSJ story: "Historically, once cruise lines have started discounting, it can take years to get back to pre-discounted levels. As Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Chief Executive Officer Frank Del Rio explained on a conference call last month, long periods of clawbacks have occurred 'time and time again.'   He cautioned that some companies have still not recovered to pre-Great Recession yields more than a decade later. For that reason, he said Norwegian is 'fixated on pricing' and would sacrifice short-term occupancy to preserve it.  In an interview for this column, UBS analyst Robin Farley cautioned against applying recovery timelines from historical downturns to today’s situation. Hotels, she points out, have seen a much healthier recovery recently than from a usual downturn, noting prices are back ahead of occupancy in that sector.   Are you making plans to go on a cruise? Join the conversation below.  Relative to hotels, cruise-ship supply is limited."

Reactions and insights from others on this smart and experienced CC Board?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-pricing-risks-sailing-off-the-deep-end-11638716401

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,006 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From CBS-TV news this morning, they had this headline: Cruise ship disembarks in New Orleans with at least 17 COVID cases, including a 'probable' Omicron infection” with these highlights: “A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans, where health officials said the ship was disembarked amid efforts to prevent any spread into the community. At least one of the infected crew members is suspected to have the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus, the Louisiana Department of Health said late Sunday.  The Norwegian Breakaway arrived in the city on Sunday after departing from New Orleans on November 28 and making stops in Belize, Honduras and Mexico over the past week.   Norwegian Cruise Line issued a statement on Saturday confirming a 'handful of COVID-19 cases among guests and crew.'  The company said all of the identified cases involved people without symptoms of the illness.  Norwegian said earlier that it requires all passengers and crew members to have been vaccinated against the coronavirus prior to departure. More than 3,200 people had been on board the ship, officials said.  Some disembarking passengers told WVUE-TV in New Orleans that they were notified about the positive cases on the ship, while others said they had no idea about the outbreak until being asked about it by a reporter.”

Was it ONLY a "handful" of cases?  Having seventeen people affected on one cruise seems kind of a large and significant number.  Right or wrong by me?  What is "normal" to expect at the end of a cruise?  What type of quarantine and/or limitation (at who's expense) would be mandated for these seventeen people getting off of this ship?  At the end of the story, they noted: "The company said no changes to scheduled future sailings on the Norwegian Breakaway were planned, and the ship was sailing again early on Monday."

Full story at:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-cases-new-orleans-norwegian-cruise-line-ship/

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,681 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Like 1

Sooner or later every flight, not just cruise, also party, wedding etc may pick up a few mild-symptomed people, because the virus will not just disappear.  Hopefully we will vaccinate most of the world and we will just live with it as we live with flu and any other disease.  I think here in the UK we are mostly a bit blase, though I do know people who still will not meet anyone inside, but they are a minority.

30 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Sooner or later every flight, not just cruise, also party, wedding etc may pick up a few mild-symptomed people, because the virus will not just disappear.  Hopefully we will vaccinate most of the world and we will just live with it as we live with flu and any other disease.  I think here in the UK we are mostly a bit blase, though I do know people who still will not meet anyone inside, but they are a minority.

Super great comments and follow-up from our London friend.  Yes, things are little different, maybe, in the UK and Europe.  

BUT, from the New York Times this morning, they had this headline: “Spike in Omicron Variant Cases Puts Europe on Edge" with this sub-headline: "With cases of the Omicron variant rising in Europe, there are worries that even tougher restrictions are looming over a holiday period that many had hoped would be a return to some normalcy.”

Here are some of their story highlights: Confirmed cases of the Omicron variant surged in Britain and Denmark on Sunday, backing up scientists’ fears that it has already spread more widely despite travel bans and adding to worries of new lockdowns before the holidays.  The coronavirus variant has been found in at least 45 nations worldwide, with the United States and much of Europe reporting a number of new cases in recent days.  On Sunday, Britain’s health security agency confirmed that it had now detected 246 cases of the variant — nearly double the total number of cases reported on Friday. In Denmark, the local health authorities confirmed that there were 183 known cases of the variant, more than triple the total number of suspected cases reported on Friday, and called the figures 'worrying.'  The numbers are skewed somewhat because both countries are widely seen as leaders in genomic sequencing and testing, so they are finding the variant in part because they are looking so carefully for it.  Many questions about the variant remain, including precisely how transmissible it is, how well vaccines will hold up against it and how likely it is to cause severe disease.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/05/world/europe/virus-europe-omicron-variant-restrictions.html

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic and historic location. Over 48,329 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 1

Just found out that British Airways have cancelled 2000 flights between now and March. Will our Dubai trip at the end of March happen? (And the July Alaska cruise). If BA fails, all trips from the UK will become a lot longer and more effort to take. I guess that at least makes the climate activists happy, if no-one else.

8 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Sooner or later every flight, not just cruise, also party, wedding etc may pick up a few mild-symptomed people, because the virus will not just disappear.  Hopefully we will vaccinate most of the world and we will just live with it as we live with flu and any other disease.

I think the other hope is that testing criteria will change at some point. What is needed is testing for viral load to determine if you are at risk, or at risk to others. PCR testing, in particular, is designed to pick up any trace of the virus. But the amount of virus you carry or shed is what testing really needs to be looking at. The technology exists, but current testing standards still focus on a binary "you have it" or "you don't".

On 12/6/2021 at 9:21 AM, TLCOhio said:

He cautioned that some companies have still not recovered to pre-Great Recession yields more than a decade later. For that reason, he said Norwegian is 'fixated on pricing' and would sacrifice short-term occupancy to preserve it.  In an interview for this column, UBS analyst Robin Farley cautioned against applying recovery timelines from historical downturns to today’s situation. Hotels, she points out, have seen a much healthier recovery recently than from a usual downturn, noting prices are back ahead of occupancy in that sector.

I have great respect for Ms. Farley as an analyst for the leisure travel industry.  I have listened to her questions for cruise line executives during quarterly conference calls and have been impressed with the quality of her questions and the obvious respect that the executives give her.  

Regarding the deep discounting, on those non-inclusive cruise lines, I wonder if we won't see an increase in the cost of onboard amenities/options in order to increase the bottom line of onboard spending.  

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, cruiseej said:

I think the other hope is that testing criteria will change at some point. What is needed is testing for viral load to determine if you are at risk, or at risk to others. PCR testing, in particular, is designed to pick up any trace of the virus. But the amount of virus you carry or shed is what testing really needs to be looking at. The technology exists, but current testing standards still focus on a binary "you have it" or "you don't".

Appreciate these many good and interesting comments and follow-ups.  As more people have the vaccines and booster shots, the question for the depth and/or degrees of protection become more important.  How to measure this "viral load"?  And its meaning medically for safety?

From the New York Times Travel yesterday, they had this headline: The Documents You Need to Travel Abroad Now" with this sub-headline: "The pandemic has created a whole new checklist of what you should bring on your trip. Here’s the essential paperwork you need to have in your bag.”

Here are some of their story highlights: While international travel is not impossible this holiday season, particularly if you’re vaccinated, the rise of the Omicron variant promises to make it much more complicated.   Assuming you are traveling to a country open to nonessential travel, the vaccine and testing documentation required for entry could range from nothing (Mexico) to detailed and numerous (Norway, and many others). Before booking, you can research online what you’ll need — on a running list from The New York Times, or the websites of various airlines, the C.D.C., the U.S. State Department or that of your destination’s government — but be prepared to recheck requirements in the days leading up to your departure, in case rules have changed.

Here is more from this reporting: "No matter your destination, no matter what requirements it has for proving you are vaccinated against the coronavirus, it’s smart to bring your physical, C.D.C.-issued vaccine card with you, along with digital photos of your card and paper photocopies. You might not need it — be sure to store it safely — but don’t assume that a U.S.-based digital passport or QR code is acceptable.  Some destinations, including the United Kingdom and certain European Union countries, require travelers to complete a digital passenger locator form before entering the country (you must submit the U.K. form in the 48 hours before you arrive in the country), to help with contact tracing. In addition to your travel information, vaccination status and contact information, the form may ask for your address in the country, and, in the U.K, confirmation of scheduled coronavirus tests that you need to take after arrival.  More countries now require proof of a negative test, often in addition to proof of vaccination. Depending on where you are going, some countries require P.C.R. tests, while others allow rapid antigen tests. Mask mandates too vary by country and maybe localities, but you will most certainly need masks in airports, on your flight — and if you are going to most places in Europe and the U.K., for indoor activities like dining. Not only is it a good idea to check your health-insurance policies if you get sick abroad, you should research whether proof of health or travel insurance is needed at your destination. All travelers, vaccinated or not, wishing to fly into the United States from abroad are currently required to show proof of a negative coronavirus test — specifically, a rapid antigen or P.C.R. test — taken within one day of their flight. "

Does ALL of this sound complicated and a bit confusing?  Right now, it seems much easier and simpler to stay based in the USA and not try for too much of the international travel that we have enjoyed previously.  Am I too negative and pessimistic?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/10/travel/international-travel-documents-covid.html

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 42,382 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 1

Terry:

You're not alone in being "negative and pessimistic." My wife and I, veterans of about thirty cruises---six of them transatlantics and several more wholly within Europe---recently cancelled cruises that had starting or ending ports in Lisbon, Buenos Aires, and Lima. Instead, we booked new ones that begin and end in U.S. ports. Will they be as interesting? Maybe not, but the hassle factor will be infinitely lower. Thoreau said that people should "simplify, simplify." Then or now, simplifying one's life seems like the way to go.

Jim

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Does ALL of this sound complicated and a bit confusing?  Right now, it seems much easier and simpler to stay based in the USA and not try for too much of the international travel that we have enjoyed previously.  Am I too negative and pessimistic?

No, you are not being too negative.  Knowing travel requirements today reminds me of the Abbott and Costello routine of "Who's on First Base?"  Add the need to wear a mask in many situations and having to deal with a ship's crew members who must wear a mask, no travel plans for me at this time.  

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Complicated and confusing? Yes, it is. 

But if you'd like to travel, and jumping through some hoops doesn't intimidate you, then you can travel. We took a Seabourn cruise in late September-early October which was one of our best cruise experiences ever. Passenger counts are lower than normal, and the crew is truly joyous to be working and welcoming guests after sitting at home for more than a year. Yes, it was more work to get away than in pre-pandemic times, but I'm so thankful we decided to go and didn't let these hurdles stop us from traveling.

As for masks, you need 'em in airports and on planes even if traveling in the US, so unless you flat-out don't travel, or restrict yourself to driving trips, masks are a part of travel. I find ask wearing on the ship pretty inconsequential, a small part of every day -- and not much more than I'd wear a mask going to a store or into a restaurant at home. Yes, the crew members wear masks, but we could converse, we could understand them, we could see when they were smiling -- it just didn't detract from our experience at all.

We spoke so highly of our fall cruise experience that friends of ours decided to book a similar cruise in late February. And then we decided to join them. 🙂 I'm aware of the current travel requirements to the countries we'll be visiting, but I'm not following too closely for a few months. When it gets to be about a month away, I'll dial back in to make sure I'm on top of everything so we can cross our t's and dot our i's in order to travel again. 

I certainly understand why some people have decided it's too much to travel now. There's not only the regulations to keep track of, the tests to schedule and take, and the forms/websites/apps to document everything on at prescribed times, but the anxiety about testing positive before or during the trip. Everyone has to know themself and decide for themself if this would outweigh the joy of cruising. I enjoy travel planning, so I've lumped this all in as just an additional layer of travel planning, and it doesn't deter me. (And as long as I do the legwork, it doesn't deter my wife!) 

• Like 5

Hi Terry, You're not being too pessimistic,  just cautious and trying to find your comfort level.  We traveled to French Polynesia in June and grabbed an Alaska cruise in September. We have gotten used to the changing testing and paperwork criteria as it will be part of our lives for years to come. It's really not that hard if you can be flexible and patient.  Trust me, It's  not nearly as hard as tracking the market which you do so well. Antigen and PCR testing facilities are becoming more efficent along with being easier to access with more locations. We just assume we will need one or the other and make those plans. We also have Medjet in case one of us become sick. 

We are headed back to French Polynesia after Christmas and the paperwork process is infinitely easier than last time. I suspect this will be the case moving forward in most places. What hasn't gotten easier is worring about testing postive before our departure. Fortunately French Polynesia is only asking for an Antigen test as opposed to a PCR, so that helps. In the past we have put ourselves in a mini quarantine.  Not so easy to do if we want to have some Christmas fun. But fun it will be this year, albiet on a smaller social level. 

On 12/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

Hi Terry, You're not being too pessimistic,  just cautious and trying to find your comfort level.  We traveled to French Polynesia in June and grabbed an Alaska cruise in September. We have gotten used to the changing testing and paperwork criteria as it will be part of our lives for years to come. It's really not that hard if you can be flexible and patient. 

Continued super great follow-ups from highplanesdrifters and others on this thread.  Glad you enjoyed your French Polynesia and Alaska cruises.  As an added factor for me is that my wife is both a RN and has some aspects of immune challenges.  She, legitimately, is very cautious and careful.  Just watching and waiting!!   Trying to guess and figure out what happens next.  

From the CNN cable news business section this morning, they had this headline: The travel industry is getting hit again. Can it take it? with these highlights:The Omicron variant of the coronavirus is spreading fast. But even as scientists urge patience while they assess the severity of the strain and its impact on the efficacy of vaccines, the travel industry is feeling the pain.  'We've seen a little bit of a waver in the bookings,' Nick Calio of the lobby Airlines for America said during an industry press briefing on Monday. What's happening: The S&P 500 finished last week at a record close. But stocks in hotels, tour providers and airlines — which required emergency funding to make it through previous Covid-19 waves — remain vulnerable to Omicron fears.

Here is more from this CNN story/analysis: "In a letter to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the chief executives of British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Ryanair and easyJet said 'haphazard and disproportionate' travel restrictions risk 'permanent scarring' of the industry.  They're urging the government to scrap all emergency testing for fully vaccinated passengers.  Willie Walsh, head of the International Air Transport Association, said at a press briefing last week that when new variants are discovered, airlines bear the brunt of the economic damage. He pointed to 'reductions in capacity following the new travel restrictions that were introduced recently.'  'We cannot keep shutting down aviation and shutting down economies, when in reality, it's not providing any measures to restrict the transmission of the virus and more importantly, it's doing huge damage to the industry,' Walsh said."

Clearly, in most cases, air travel is required in order to get to the cruise port to commence your sailing experience.  

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,082 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the New York Times yesterday, they had this somewhat shocking  headline: “As U.S. Nears 800,000 Virus Deaths, 1 of Every 100 Older Americans Has Perished" with this sub-headline:  "They are among the most vaccinated groups, but people 65 and older make up about three-quarters of the nation’s coronavirus death toll.

Here are some of their story highlights:  "As the coronavirus pandemic approaches the end of a second year, the United States stands on the cusp of surpassing 800,000 deaths from the virus, and no group has suffered more than older Americans. All along, older people have been known to be more vulnerable, but the scale of loss is only now coming into full view.  Seventy-five percent of people who have died of the virus in the United States — or about 600,000 of the nearly 800,000 who have perished so far — have been 65 or older. One in 100 older Americans has died from the virus. For people younger than 65, that ratio is closer to 1 in 1,400.   The heightened risk for older people has dominated life for many, partly as friends and family try to protect them.  Since vaccines first became available a year ago, older Americans have been vaccinated at a much higher rate than younger age groups and yet the brutal toll on them has persisted. The share of younger people among all virus deaths in the United States increased this year, but, in the last two months, the portion of older people has risen once again, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 1,200 people in the United States are dying from Covid-19 each day, most of them 65 or older.

Clearly for cruise lines, that older, age 65+ audience is a key part of their prime, top customer base.  Here is more from their story: "The relentless waves of new threats — a surge of the Delta variant and now the new Omicron variant — have been especially stressful for older Americans, prompting some people to consider tightening restrictions on their lives even more, during a period of life when socializing and staying physically and mentally active is considered essential.  The pandemic is no longer in the early, dark days of spring 2020, when the mysterious virus was sweeping through nursing homes and assisted living facilities and killing people in staggeringly high numbers, particularly those with pre-existing health issues.  Throughout the summer, most people dying from the virus were concentrated in the South. But the most recent 100,000 deaths — beginning in early October — have spread out across the nation, in a broad belt across the middle of the country from Pennsylvania to Texas, the Mountain West and Michigan.  These most recent 100,000 deaths, too, have all occurred in less than 11 weeks, a sign that the pace of deaths is moving more quickly once again — faster than at any time other than last winter’s surge."

As a "seasoned citizen", this data and reporting makes clear to me that those older need to be thoughtful and smart as to the future risks we evaluate and undertake.  Right or wrong?  

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/13/us/covid-deaths-elderly-americans.html?action=click&pgtype=Article&state=default&module=styln-coronavirus&variant=show&region=MAIN_CONTENT_3&block=storyline_levelup_swipe_recirc

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,868 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• Thanks 1

I know it is very worrying, and I am getting old too, but surely more than 75% of people who die of any cause are over 65? I do agree with BA etc that it is travel (in all its forms) which is being destroyed and as I move towards full time retirement that is my main interest. New variants will appear for years, maybe for ever - do we just sit in our houses and watch a TV (I wish! the young with their 20/20 vision are all on tiny mobiles) for ever?

@TLCOhioThe crucial statistic missing from this data is how many of the deaths were people who were fully vaccinated. Some, to be sure, but I'm guessing it's a rather small percentage. So as long as "be thoughtful and smart" includes being vaccinated, and now boosted, the threat — while still out there — isn't as large as those numbers make it seem.

• Like 2

What industry will be the first to make a switch to a new meaning of "fully vaccinated"? Cruise lines? Airlines? Hotels? Theaters? Restaurants? I think @Stumblefoot is probably right: it will take action by the CDC -- or perhaps some other country (UK?) -- to say the new "fully vaccinated" now means a shot within the past 'x' months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

What industry will be the first to make a switch to a new meaning of "fully vaccinated"? Cruise lines? Airlines? Hotels? Theaters? Restaurants? I think @Stumblefoot is probably right: it will take action by the CDC -- or perhaps some other country (UK?) -- to say the new "fully vaccinated" now means a shot within the past 'x' months.

guess it will be a changing target as time goes on.  It’s wait and see, what can you do, for us it’s getting all 3 shots and doing what you need to do to be safe.