SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

53 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

So I take it there was not a word about the next December Moon cruise ending not in Lima (which is what people booked and bought airfare for), but in Guayquil, because SS thought Lima would open to cruisers but it hasn't happened yet in time for the cruise?

There is a separate thread on Peru being closed to cruisers and all the reroutes people are doing for that cruise (some people having to fly back coach), and the uncertainty about the next one still listed as headed for Lima according the website , Jan 3-Jan 19, FLL-Lima.

Cruise lines must have information that sugarcoating and ignoring problems is better for business than being honest with customers.  SS is not alone in this.

They forgot to mention that. They also forgot to mention that thingyerm what’s it called oh yes that’s right covid. I’m not sure if you’ve heard about it but it’s been a bit of an inconveniencing thingy that’s been going around and has resulted in a few little changes to travel plans. They’ve got some shiny new ships though, they talked about those. 

• Haha 2

So who marketed the event wasnt it Cruise Critic, did they say it would be a Q&A session, I dont think so, did they offer some insights into what is happening here and now, no I dont think so.   Can SS, or indeed any cruise line, be sure at the present time what may or may not be possible from week to the next.   If there was to be a special booking offer the "bumph" says it will be sent shortly following the event, how soon after is "shortly", perhaps a little patience is required.   Why are people so quick to criticise when something doesnt turn out as they expected even though it pretty much filled its brief, the promotional material said that Barbara would talk about SS, its ships and destinations and that is what she did.   

21 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

If you jumble up the letters, omicron will spell moronic, which is where we might be at some point if they don’t follow the data.

Might be "moronic" at some point?  I think we have been there and keep returning.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, labrasett said:

So who marketed the event wasnt it Cruise Critic, did they say it would be a Q&A session, I dont think so

YES!!  In loud, large headlines at two different locations on the CC website, this was proclaimed as "LIVE" and a "Q&A" event.  See the screen shots below.  They also promised: "special booking offer", but, so far, 26 hours after the "event", we have received nothing.  What does "soon" mean?  Will post more info as to the specifics, when and if received.  Maybe the offer/reward is so big and wonderful that it takes so much time to load it all in a large truck to deliver to my home in Ohio? 

Yesterday, I sent an email to Colleen McDaniel, Editor-In-Chief, Cruise Critic.  She promptly replied and asked for more specifics.   I sent those details/concerns to her.  She called this "program" as "our sponsored content partnership with Silversea".  In my opinion, "sponsored content" means ADVERSITING and should be labeled as such, upfront and clearly.  In the loose world of social media, some firms, such as Google, label certain items correctly and honestly as ads or maybe "sponsored content".  Others skip that little "detail" for their audiences.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 234,400 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

1065128257_ScreenShot2021-11-29at4_30_16PM.thumb.png.e53f4a8d836d5fa489a1aafaf0531d8b.png

918890150_ScreenShot2021-11-29at6_23_47PM.thumb.png.7588493660bf4143a4217559006d7049.png

• Like 4

And Terry, the only thing offered were those poll questions...........😦 nothing new about them. When do you want to sail again?  What are you most looking forward to? Where do you want to go? 

At this point in time it is absolutely premature to hold a special event or promotion about future cruising.  Unless there was a sea change before I went to bed and now, there is nearly nothing new really.  As Cruisejj said above  " there was ZERO mention of Covid".  But isn't this all about COVID.   At this moment in time there is little, very little know about how Omicrod will behave.  We know that more and more ports are closing.  We know the air travel is being more restricted.  But outside of that ...nothing.  Perhaps there is a majority of the virologists and epidemiologists among us that thing that Omicrod may be more transmissible.  But that is it.  

Until more facts and data come in it is completely irresponsible for SS or anyone else for that matter to engage in any promotional activity regarding future cruises.  They are just setting themselves up for chaos and hundreds of disgruntled passengers.  And I have to stick this in for their employees, who are being stressed to the extreme in a working environment that has grown near unbearable.

For Ms. Muckermann and others in Silversea senior management just chill.  No more updates masquerading as sales events, no more changes in ships and ports, until we know we some with degree of certitude what we are dealing with the this new variant and all its little friends.  (There are 50 identified mutations most of which are of little concern but these are still being tested and it is going to take weeks to do so)  Lastly "concern" has become a word of art,  when a variant become "of concern" you know you are in big trouble.  

• Like 1

@chrism23  My suggestion is that you take the same "chill" pill you're suggesting for Silversea management. 😉

Keep in mind that this event was set up long before the Omicron variant showed up a week ago. Keep in mind that they aren't hawking cruises for the next few weeks or months, but for the next few years. Keep in mind that we don't yet know whether Omicron is more transmissible or more deadly than other strains; we certainly don't yet know if we are in "big trouble" as you assert, and it will take another week or two for scientists to make those determinations. The travel restrictions we've seen imposed this week are simply precautionary in case it turns out to be a very problematic new strain. 

The cruise lines are in business to sell cruises, so they will continue to sell cruises. If the virus situation dictates that some areas of the world are ruled out, they will alter itineraries or cancel cruises as necessary. Hopefully we won't get back to a situation like 2020 when all cruising is shut down, which is  possible if a variant ends up evading the current vaccines and a new vaccine needs to be developed -- but we're a long way from that being our reality. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with everyone hoping they will be able lot cruise in 2022 or 2023, and nothing wrong with Silversea touting the features of their newest ships to entice people to book Silversea instead of their many competitors. This was not some major "special event"; it was a small marketing program. The only foul by Silversea in doing so was overpromising and underdelivering on the content of the program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK.  Agreed.  Chill pill taken.  My prescription has just about run out.  I don't know the solution to this or even whether its a problem  I am booked on cruises for 2022, a couple of legs for the Grand Voyage 2023, and the round the worlder for 2024.  On the SS web site, nearly all of these are wait listed, I don't know whether that means sold out or not.  If so its indicative of all of our desires to get back to sea.  Where this becomes a problem for me, for example, I am on the the August 2022 cruise from Reyjavik to Dublin expedition cruise. (more questions on 'expedition' at another time). I was on this last year and it was cancelled.  And I am still arguing with Aer Lingus over credits and refunds.    I truly understand the need for marketing in advance.  But, by doing so, as embarkation dates become closer, clients have to start booking flights, hotels, excursions, limos, and all sorts of other details.  I can't come up with a client friendly way of dealing with all of these headaches.  The only idea I have, which is impossible and would  create a greater hell for SS cruise consultants, is for all of these 'details' to be bundled into one package, and if SS is forced to cancel a cruise, all of the details, especially air and hotels, are also cancelled by SS and not the individual traveler.  I know, don't say it, its too hard and too good to be true and loaded with complications, i.e airlines only booking 270 days prior to  departure. But by setting up something like this it would be a real "Cruise with Confidence" Program.  I know, take another chill pill Chris, but I am just trying to be helpful and not a pain in the butt.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chrism23 said:

The only idea I have, which is impossible and would  create a greater hell for SS cruise consultants, is for all of these 'details' to be bundled into one package, and if SS is forced to cancel a cruise, all of the details, especially air and hotels, are also cancelled by SS and not the individual traveler.

Chris, this already exists! Just book your air and pre- or post-cruise hotel through the cruise line. When a cruise is canceled, you don't have to deal with the airlines or hotel or transfers; Silversea does it.

Many people are used to booking their own air -- they can find it less expensively, they can use frequent flier miles, they have more flexibility on airline/route/connections, etc. I never booked my air through a cruise line until this year, when the reality of frequent and/or late changes made it seem advantageous to have the cruise line handle everything so I wouldn't have to. (Okay, I still booked a pre-cruise hotel on my own, because I could cancel on fairly short notice and what the cruise line wanted to charge was outrageous! 😉)

So the choice you're asking for is there. If you want worry-free travel, book it all through Silversea. There's no way a cruise line could possibly take responsibility for bookings you make on your own -- but if you want to save money or have more flexibility, book on your own, knowing you're taking on the risk of needing to juggle your bookings if things change.

• Like 4

Travelers coming back to the U.S. on flights will now have only 1 day, instead of 3, vaccinated or not,  masked or not, to get tested before boarding their flight.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/02/omicron-covid-variant-us-tightens-travel-testing-requirements-mask-mandates.html

So unless you fly back the same day you disembark, or the airport you are at offers rapid on site testing for x dollars right before your flight, you are going to have to find and book a local overseas Covd testing place to get tested, and get the results, before flying home.  

• Like 2

We're returning from Antarctica (from Santiago) on January 5th late at night.  

Does anyone know if Silversea is arranging the Covid test (with 24 hours of arrival)

meaning the morning of disembarkation?  Having our TA check too

Thanks

• Like 1

@WesW You're asking about the Covid test you will need to fly back to the US, correct? You wrote that the Covid test must be with 24 hours of arrival. Everything I see in the CDC rule states "you must get tested no more than 1 day before your flight to the US departs."

So you'll get tested on the ship on the day before disembarkation, January 4. If you then disembark in Punta Arenas on the morning of January 5, fly to Santiago, and board your flight to the US the evening of January 5, your test on the ship from the day before would be valid.

After reading about the issues with the recent Cloud trip, it made me wonder about "what if…" scenarios relating to tests which expire when travel plans are delayed. For instance, if your flight back to the US is scheduled for 10 pm on January 5, but  is delayed for some reason until 1 a.m., is your test still accepted by the airline and for arrival into the US? Or is almost everyone on the plane now unable to fly until they are re-tested?  Or in the case of the passengers on the recent Cloud trip who missed their flights, did they have to find a place to get a new test in Santiago?

Good points Eric.

Conrad (SVP Destinations Silversea) let me know this morning Silversea will arrange Covid tests for us the day we disembark in Chile.

Also, Stumblefoot's post on this board,  about half the vaccinated guests at a Norwegian party getting Omicron begs the question on how soon this variant will be on cruise ships if not already as Silver Spectre speculates.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:59 PM, TLCOhio said:

YES!!  In loud, large headlines at two different locations on the CC website, this was proclaimed as "LIVE" and a "Q&A" event.  See the screen shots below.  They also promised: "special booking offer", but, so far, 26 hours after the "event", we have received nothing.  What does "soon" mean?  Will post more info as to the specifics, when and if received.  Maybe the offer/reward is so big and wonderful that it takes so much time to load it all in a large truck to deliver to my home in Ohio? 

Yesterday, I sent an email to Colleen McDaniel, Editor-In-Chief, Cruise Critic.  She promptly replied and asked for more specifics.   I sent those details/concerns to her.  She called this "program" as "our sponsored content partnership with Silversea".  In my opinion, "sponsored content" means ADVERSITING and should be labeled as such, upfront and clearly.  In the loose world of social media, some firms, such as Google, label certain items correctly and honestly as ads or maybe "sponsored content".  Others skip that little "detail" for their audiences.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 234,400 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

1065128257_ScreenShot2021-11-29at4_30_16PM.thumb.png.e53f4a8d836d5fa489a1aafaf0531d8b.png

918890150_ScreenShot2021-11-29at6_23_47PM.thumb.png.7588493660bf4143a4217559006d7049.png

Finally got the live event "special booking offer" early this morning--check your email--a nice little discount on an SS cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Also, Stumblefoot's post on this board,  about half the vaccinated guests at a Norwegian party getting Omicron begs the question on how soon this variant will be on cruise ships if not already as Silver Spectre speculates.

Here is a link to a WSJ article about the party.  The the infection spread looks dramatic, but those infected are having mild symptoms…….  Fingers crossed that this won’t be another major variation.

http://ereader.wsj.net?selDate=20211204&goTo=A007&artid=1

56 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Here is a link to a WSJ article about the party.  The infection spread looks dramatic, but those infected are having mild symptoms.

http://ereader.wsj.net?selDate=20211204&goTo=A007&artid=1

Appreciate this helpful link and follow-up from Mr. Banjo.  In reading this reporting, here is what caught my attention regarding the group of passengers involved: "The cluster is remarkable because it took place in a bubble of immunized people, in a country where more than 80% of adults are fully vaccinated. It also provides signs of hope, however anecdotal and thin, that Omicron cases can turn out to be mild among healthy, vaccinated adults. So far, none of the infected employees are seriously ill."  

If this can happen in Norway, what does it say for most other parts of the world where a much small portion of the population are vaccinated.  Many, many unknowns and questions regarding the hoped-for-return to . . . "normal"????

Lots of great sharing on this thread.  Keep it coming!!

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 93,044 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

The "bubble of hope" is that despite great infectivity, people are not sick.

Though it is good they are not very sick, I am not seeing much *short-term* hope because:

1.  These were working, younger, relatively healthy people (given they were just fit enough to have traveled to South Africa to check on their project).  Take the identical building structure and social talk-talk holiday interaction,  and make the people have an average age of 65-70 with a few major health conditions, i.e., like luxury cruisers, and how would they have done?  It will take a while to sort out how the more vulnerable do under similar circumstances with Omicron, which is what is more relevant to cruising decisions. 

2.  My guess is it will also take way more than just a reasonable showing of low morbidity, even  with a new variant, to convince slow-moving and conservative governments, authorities, bureaucrats, politicians, lawyers, media, cruise lines, etc., not to mention many elderly and/or nervous pax who still have not set foot on any ship since Covid, that Omicron is just something that will be around that might give vaccinated patients minor cold symptoms if they catch it, move on.  It will take a long, long time to first sort out the medical facts, then get the behemoth systems to accept that it is acceptable (with the limited short term information we have, we frankly just don't know yet).

I'm not cancelling the many cruises I have already booked but am now hesitant to pile on too tight a schedule because of the likelihood of months of more disruptions.

DH, just retired, has less patience and tolerance with waits, delays, reroutes, travel surprises, more masks, unscheduled sea days, difficulty doing individual excursions, etc., than I do (and I am not fond of them either, as I like to be very organized and plan for contingencies -- many on CC also plan very carefully), and would rather just stay in our scenic coastal home, or tour western America in a car or on motorcycles and have wonderful photographic opportunities, than deal with that kind of disruption, if things get more onerous than they have been with Delta.  

For almost two years now millions of people have kept their spirits up by thinking "this is all just temporary", starting with the two weeks to flatten the curve, then the full 'temporary' lockdowns and travel bans, etc.  But the longer things drag on, the more difficult it becomes to believe in eventual normality.  

I'm not quitting cruising yet, but some will, either due to health fears, or due to the disruptions. 

Just the new requirement of testing within 1 day of entering the U.S, instead of 3 days, makes it harder to add on a couple days overseas after a cruise.  A requirement for quarantine for a few days  after returning home also came very close to being approved, (though it wasn't).  

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, taxatty said:

Finally got the live event "special booking offer" early this morning--check your email--a nice little discount on an SS cruise.

Been checking my mail box and nothing has come in from Silversea about any type of discount and/or "deal" for watching that promotion segment.  That "LIVE" segment was Monday and now it is Saturday morning.  What does "soon" really mean?

Did hear back from my reply and detailed message back to Colleen McDaniel, Editor-In-Chief, Cruise Critic.  She shared in response to my comments and suggestions: "No, you are not too blunt. We only get better with feedback from readers like you.  It is a new product and this kind of input always is helpful in evolving and refining."

Like is done by Google and other key Internet players, such "shared content" (or advertising) should be properly labeled, up front and clear.  Google loudly says "Ad" at the top to be clear as to how their system works.  Good to know that is a new "product" and hopefully Cruise Critic will learn from the feed-back as to how such sales tools are pitched to loyal and smart readers on these boards.  

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 69,130 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696