Past Guest Survey

Laurostar

As a recent  past guest of Azamara I received an email survey last night from Azamara which I found the most inane survey I have seen for some time.

I would have thought that the number one topic of all cruise lines would be the attitude of past guests as  to whether they still had sufficient confidence in the cruise industry following Covid 19 to undertake another cruise in future and specifically with Azamara. Yet this survey never asked that question. Rather it was asking about potential destinations, possible departure dates over the next two years and various qualitative assessments of issues of concern/interest and there was simply no provision to say anywhere, well actually I will not to choose to cruise again, be it Azamara or anyone else , which after being regularly cruising since 1978, is where I now am at personally.

So completing that questionnaire as structured may well lead to quite misleading responses and one just wonders whether the management of RCI/Azmara are just kicking the can down the road and remain in denial that it is going to be a very long and painful road for the cruise industry to recover from what has happened. I was left with the distinct impression that the last thing the survey was intended to do was ask the most fundamental question of a past guest, are you likely to cruise again and if so when and then with whom?

I really enjoyed my time on board Azamara but that must be tempered by the personal risk now attaching to cruising that was so evident from the scale and extent of infection on various cruise ships, particularly Diamond and Ruby Princess and Artania. For me, one who is in his mid 60's and with no health issues, I would prefer not to take any unnecessary risks, pity that Azamara management seemingly does not want to know what its past guests are truly thinking.

I hope for the future of Azamara and its wonderful people that I am an absolute exception to most of its past travelers, who will continue traveling with them as they have done so in the past.

• Like 1

Ok, I understand that the current crisis is Covid-19 and that is on the minds of many of us, but why would Azamara send out a pessimistic survey along the lines you suggest?  What's the point of that?  It's not going to get very far or provide useful data for the future. They are trying to look forward positively.  I guess if one can't relate to the questions being asked then don't respond to it. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurostar said:

As a recent  past guest of Azamara I received an email survey last night from Azamara which I found the most inane survey I have seen for some time.

I would have thought that the number one topic of all cruise lines would be the attitude of past guests as  to whether they still had sufficient confidence in the cruise industry following Covid 19 to undertake another cruise in future and specifically with Azamara. Yet this survey never asked that question. Rather it was asking about potential destinations, possible departure dates over the next two years and various qualitative assessments of issues of concern/interest and there was simply no provision to say anywhere, well actually I will not to choose to cruise again, be it Azamara or anyone else , which after being regularly cruising since 1978, is where I now am at personally.

So completing that questionnaire as structured may well lead to quite misleading responses and one just wonders whether the management of RCI/Azmara are just kicking the can down the road and remain in denial that it is going to be a very long and painful road for the cruise industry to recover from what has happened. I was left with the distinct impression that the last thing the survey was intended to do was ask the most fundamental question of a past guest, are you likely to cruise again and if so when and then with whom?

I really enjoyed my time on board Azamara but that must be tempered by the personal risk now attaching to cruising that was so evident from the scale and extent of infection on various cruise ships, particularly Diamond and Ruby Princess and Artania. For me, one who is in his mid 60's and with no health issues, I would prefer not to take any unnecessary risks, pity that Azamara management seemingly does not want to know what its past guests are truly thinking.

I hope for the future of Azamara and its wonderful people that I am an absolute exception to most of its past travelers, who will continue traveling with them as they have done so in the past.

I must admit that I felt the same. It seemed somewhat insensitive!

On a personal note, I hope that Azamara are likely to use the results/findings as justification for revising next year's itineraries! 

Wondering if we received the same survey. Granted there were questions about itineraries but I was also asked how I felt during the Pandemic and when I would feel comfortable cruising again. I also used the opportunity to say in one of the boxes that I was unlikely to cruise again until a vaccine was widely available, I hope others received similar question options and were able to inform Azamara of their thoughts regarding future cruising plans.

• Like 6

I thought it one of better ones. It didn't ask our income for starters!  Hard to remember all the  questions and some may have been dependent on how you answered the previous question?

For those of you who haven't received it.......I answered questions regarding our thoughts and feelings now with covid 19 , what were our main concerns and what in the future would we be concerned about with cruising. There was (two ?) questions where personal comments could be made. Would we be considering cruises, land based holiday, domestic city breaks, international breaks etc. and  over what time frame.  How long a flight would we be prepared to take to get to a cruise. What countries or continents we would be interested in. 
When would we be likely to be thinking about a cruise ,anything from 3 months - 24 months ahead. How long a cruise. What did we think Azmara could have done differently with the recent situation, and what things we would like more importance on. ie vaccines, pre health checks, onboard air quality, hygiene etc. Did we think communication was good. Had we contacted the customer service dept.

It listed about a dozen cruise lines and asked who we would consider looking at over the next 24 months from definitely  to never. 

I didnt find anything I wasn't happy to answer and the questions weren't as cryptic as in previous questionnaires. The replies they get may have an impact on cruise destinations in 2022 or as @blag commented, they may revise itineraries for 2021. Being that several posters recently stated  that many cruiselines may not survive I thought the survey indicated that Azamara would be trying their hardest to make sure they were not one of them . And as @excitedofharpenden says ‘they are trying to look forward positively’. 

• Like 5

Same here, and like you I took the opportunity of the place where you could write freely to say I would be unlikely to cruise again before there’s a vaccine available.

I also thought it was one of the better surveys.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 4

Yes I thought this was a much more relevant survey and better designed to gain information about our future cruising plans. 
I also said I was unlikely to cruise again until a vaccine OR effective treatment for Covid-19 was available. It is much better to have a vaccine of course, but do remember that there are many viral infections that still cannot be vaccinated against. An effective treatment may be much easier to find in the shorter term. 

• Like 3

Thank you Laurostar for mentioning this survey, and Combine for fleshing out the actual questions.  I, of course, did not receive the survey.  Azamara does not send emails to me, and so I appreciate this forum for its posts with current information : )

You cannot retake the survey.  Thats as it should be as Azamara have targeted who they wanted data from.  If it gets put on an open website they have no validity on the respondents.

20 minutes ago, uktog said:

You cannot retake the survey.  Thats as it should be as Azamara have targeted who they wanted data from.  If it gets put on an open website they have no validity on the respondents.

I thought that might be the case, but posted it so people can see what it looked like, at least.

17 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I thought that might be the case, but posted it so people can see what it looked like, at least.

You cannot see the survey though in case anyone is hoping they will see it

I thought the survey was good.   Have not received any survey from Celebrity,  Seabourn or Cunard.   It’s great that Azamara is asking our opinions and hopefully they will adjust future itineraries.   Azamara seems to be more focused on their passengers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

I had no problem reading the whole survey, although I didn't submit it.

I thought it useful to have a space where I could indicate what changes needed to be made before I would consider cruising again ( question near the end).

Whether I was asked this because I had indicated that it would probably be 12-18 months before I would consider cruising again, I’m not sure.

For me, safety features need to be upgraded eg air conditioning, which I am convinced led to the spread of the virus, especially on the larger ships.

Also, no self service in the buffet, which in my opinion has always been questionable eg spread of Noro virus.

22 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Apparently you can. Maybe it looks at your digital address.

I was trying from a different address

In the free comments section at the end I suggested consumer friendly cancellation/refund policies, seeing as how that is one thing that is completely within the control of the cruise line. We can but hope...

I received the survey and found it much better than previous ones. I completed it and submitted it the other day but I could also do the survey again by clicking on the link above. I did not submit. I’ve found this with other surveys Azamara have sent out, that it can be completed more than once by the same person.