Why Royal Caribbean is taking so long in doing refunds?!?!?

My in laws and my family were supposed to be on Freedom April 19. The cruise was canceled. We booked through a big box TA. My cancellation email from TA says cruise cancelled April 2. It says to allow up to 90 days for refund. On 5/6 my mother in law received the taxes and fees and $1104.  On 5/23 she received $428. These amounts do not add up to the total. On 5/23 I received $428. Should I be concerned? Doing it like this makes me feel like it was done wrong.  My 90 days is the first week of July. If they are not suggesting 90 business days that is!  Do I call? This is ridiculous!

2 hours ago, mickeyhereicome said:

Royal or TA?

I had the same issue -- received partial refund. I talked to my TA who called Royal. She was told that we would see the balance of the refund in a week or two. When that didn't happen, I called Royal. Balance of refund finally showed up a month later. I would call Royal. 

Had Oct. 19th Vision (Canada/N.E.) "refundable" cruise cancelled by RC.  Cruise booked with major online TA.

Submitted cancellation form to RC on June 5th.  Received refund of deposit to credit card on June 10th.  Happy with that!

NJ 

We have been waiting on a refund for our Grandeur cruise since March 20th.  In May we contacted RCI who said refunds are taking longer than expected. 

Yesterday June 14th I called again.  I was told our refund was rejected by our bank on May 3rd.  Huh?

RCI rep fumbled for words when I asked why it was rejected. She eventually said it might be because the amount is so large (approx $2000) some banks will reject it.  Really?  Bank of America would think $2000 is an excessively high refund?  She proceeded to say it has been resubmitted, and she will contact RCI accounting about this.

Has anyone ever encountered this?  This sounds too bizarre... even for RCI.

Royal Caribbean cancelled my March 28 cruise on March 13. I requested a refund and was told it would take 30 days. When I didn't receive credit I filed a dispute with my credit card. First they said they had issued credit but that was for cruise planner purchases. Now they responded back that they need more time. Not sure if they are punishing me for filing a dispute after hearing others being refunded for May cruises. Anyone else having trouble with their dispute?

Thanks Biker... That's what I thought.

Realizing that I may never see this money again, I asked if I could use the "refund" money toward another cruise instead.  Not asking for the 125%, just the money that was suppose to be refunded.  I was told "no" by the RCI rep on the phone, as well as a supervisor who said "unfortunately the refund is in process.  It can't be used for future cruises".

Frustrating, since scheduled on this cruise did receive refunds, and future cruise certs.  Unfortunately, many of us have not received either.

Edited by Wildcatfish

Cancelled 3/26 Royal cruise on 3/10 with TA. Had 2 rooms booked w/6 people. Royal sent me FCC for 1 person in each room when cancelled. Contacted TA numerous times regarding refund or FCC for 4 other passengers with no response. Royal wouldn't talk to me as I booked with TA. Finally gave up and disputed with CC. Applied temporary credit on CC account while investigation was performed. About 1 month later was notified case was decided in my favor. Also refunded cancellation fee charged by TA. Have done a fair amount of cruises in past but thinking were done for now. Their always in a hurry to get your money but slow as hell to refund it!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Try RCI first, they may tell you to call TA, but the info is with RCI.

19 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

I had the same issue -- received partial refund. I talked to my TA who called Royal. She was told that we would see the balance of the refund in a week or two. When that didn't happen, I called Royal. Balance of refund finally showed up a month later. I would call Royal. 

Thanks. I called Royal and she stated that she saw the partial refunds and after reviewing further said the rest is still being processed and is expected in 30-40 days.  She didn't answer if that was 30-40 days from yesterday or from the day of the partial refund?!  I guess I will continue to wait! 

3 hours ago, mickeyhereicome said:

Thanks. I called Royal and she stated that she saw the partial refunds and after reviewing further said the rest is still being processed and is expected in 30-40 days.  She didn't answer if that was 30-40 days from yesterday or from the day of the partial refund?!  I guess I will continue to wait! 

Also, I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that it would be 30 to 45 business days to process the balance of my refund.

40 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

Also, I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that it would be 30 to 45 business days to process the balance of my refund.

I'll take that.

85 days and counting and not a hint of a refund from Royal.

Called RCI this morning to see what was up with refund and was told taxes and fees were refunded to cr card yesterday. Inquired about cruise fare and the rep said I opted for cruise with confidence(?) option, which I did not and I have copy of my completed request for refund RCI confirmed on March 30. After being put on hold rep came back and said my reservation was mistakenly posted and said refund would be processed in 2 weeks making it a full 90+ days. I understand that they may be swamped working on these but I would encourage anyone that feels their particular situation is taking too long to call just to make sure they have your request in the correct que.

Again and again I am asking myself, why RCCL is deliberately trashing its former reputation. Now the once friendly cruise line shows its real, ugly face. Very sad to realize how some few managers can ruin Royal's spirit.

• Like 2

We just received our full refund for our September cruise that was cancelled when Canada announced port closure extension.  We requested the refund on June 2nd, refund received June 16th.  Still waiting on the July Oasis cruise that was cancelled and refund requested  on May 20th.  

3 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

We just received our full refund for our September cruise that was cancelled when Canada announced port closure extension.  We requested the refund on June 2nd, refund received June 16th.  Still waiting on the July Oasis cruise that was cancelled and refund requested  on May 20th.  

You sure are one of the lucky ones!! Good for you!

We requested our refund on March 27 after RC cancelled our May 10 Symphony cruise. We still have not received a penny and our big box TA's recording says not to call about this until after the 90 day mark. So should I wait for 2 weeks to call if we don't receive our credit? Or call RC about this and bug them?

11 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

I requested for my B2B on June 2nd as well.  When was your original cruise booked for in September?   Mine was 9/12 and 9/17. 

Was it cash refund or FCC?  I requested cash refund to CC...your post is giving me hope I could see it soon as well.  Nothing for me yet.  😞  Thanks for your update!  🙂 

Though weird with getting your September and not your July.  I have not seen my refund for Alaska August yet either.  Much bigger refund on those (past final payments).  

RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😣

Edited by island lady

8 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Again and again I am asking myself, why RCCL is deliberately trashing its former reputation. Now the once friendly cruise line shows its real, ugly face. Very sad to realize how some few managers can ruin Royal's spirit.

I agree. We do not plan on booking any more cruises until we get our money. It would be different if they processed "in order the cancellation was received." But the refunds seem to be all over the place! It's just not right that people who cancelled in March are still waiting and people who cancelled in May and June have already received theirs! I know, I know...life isn't fair!!!:):):)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

You sure are one of the lucky ones!! Good for you!

We requested our refund on March 27 after RC cancelled our May 10 Symphony cruise. We still have not received a penny and our big box TA's recording says not to call about this until after the 90 day mark. So should I wait for 2 weeks to call if we don't receive our credit? Or call RC about this and bug them?

We booked directly with club royale for all of our 2020 cruises. They were cancelled in this order:   March, May, June, July & September.  They were paid in this order: May & June, March, September * July (not yet).  I do not know about the right TA procedure.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I requested for my B2B on June 2nd as well.  When was your original cruise booked for in September?   Mine was 9/12 and 9/17. 

Was it cash refund or FCC?  I requested cash refund to CC...your post is giving me hope I could see it soon as well.  Nothing for me yet.  😞  Thanks for your update!  🙂 

Though weird with getting your September and not your July.  I have not seen my refund for Alaska August yet either.  Much bigger refund on those (past final payments).  

RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😣

All of our refunds have been cash only.  We do still have 2020 cruises with RCL for August 6th and December 7th.  As of now, Baltimore and Bayonne are still not open, so ...

I would have been surprised about September before July if it it had not happened earlier this year with May & June refunds coming before March.

Good luck, maybe they figured something out and will start giving back money to us all.  I have been hesitant to add purchases to the upcoming cruises due to the uncertainty of cancellation/sailing status.

• Like 1