Panama Canal Cruise 2022

drlucy12

Hello everyone,

I have a genuine travel related question and it is not related to COVID 19.

My family and I are looking at a Panama Canal cruise in early 2022, March or April.  We usually sail Celebrity or Norwegian.  We have sailed with Holland one time, many years ago to Alaska and really liked them.  

I compared the itineraries for Celebrity versus Holland and Holland has a great trip for a Canal cruise.

I tried to do a general search on this board and couldn’t find a lot of information.

Any advice? 

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, drlucy12 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a genuine travel related question and it is not related to COVID 19.

My family and I are looking at a Panama Canal cruise in early 2022, March or April.  We usually sail Celebrity or Norwegian.  We have sailed with Holland one time, many years ago to Alaska and really liked them.  

I compared the itineraries for Celebrity versus Holland and Holland has a great trip for a Canal cruise.

I tried to do a general search on this board and couldn’t find a lot of information.

Any advice? 

Thanks!!

Welcome to our HAL board!

Krazy Kruisers is the best in giving you great information!!

We have rescheduled our Panama Canal cruise on The Rotterdam for 1/29/2022.

We were unfortunate when The Rotterdam doing our 2nd cruise doing Panama Canal and on the 4th day first port of call Puerto Vallarta we were told we all were going home. We were doing a cruise starting 3/11. Left on 3/15 out of PV airport home!

We are needing to always looking forward to sailing. Enjoy !! 
Denise😊

• Like 1

Hi,

We are looking at the 18 day cruise in March 2022 on the Volendam.  From my browsing so far, I think we would prefer a full transit cruise versus a partial transit.  

This cruise is offered on the Volendam and has several ports that we have not been to on previous cruises.  We have been to several cruises in the Caribbean but the Pacific coast will be new for us so this is an exciting itinerary.

Questions:

1.  Is the Neptune suite worth it?

2.  What is your impression of the Volendam? I have read a few reviews that stated it need to be refurbished.

3.  14 day versus 18 day itinerary- are the extra days in Bahamas and Panama worth it? 

Thanks!

Apologize in advance for any typos- I am doing this post on my iPhone!

42 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

Tell us what appeals to you and we can help there.  Some people think they aren’t and others don’t.   The Volendam has a lovely deep verandah IIRC in the Neptune Suite and the rooms are large and very nice.  

If you like comfort, you’ll enjoy it.  Perk wise, it might not compare to some of the other lines but it is more reasonable than those usually.

Aside from the real estate, you’ll get things like breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill, an enhanced in room dining breakfast menu, the Neptune Lounge with all kinds of munchies from continental breakfast, light lunch items and munchies at cocktail time.  A great espresso machine and good teas, etc.  No free alcoholic drinks other than the reception.  Free laundry and drycleaning, etc.  It’s all about what you enjoy.

2.  What is your impression of the Volendam? I have read a few reviews that stated it need to be refurbished

I’d happily sail the Volendam again.  She’s an older ship so if you like bells and whistles and a lot of sparkly chrome, you won’t find it.  To me, it’s more like a real cruise ship with a lovely promenade deck and fabulous crew.

3.  14 day versus 18 day itinerary- are the extra days in Bahamas and Panama worth it? 

Our last Panama was the longer one but we weren’t in the Bahamas.  What ports are the extra 4 days giving you?  We can help more if we have more specifics.

In short, the Panama Canal is a great itinerary.  Get up early as you enter the locks to get the Panama buns and enjoy the sights.  It’s very interesting.

I only found a 16 and an 18 day PC itinerary on the Volendam in that time frame.  By Bahamas, are you referring to Half Moon Cay, HAL's private island?  HMC is nice, but I'm not sure it would be the determining factor for you in choosing a PC cruise.  One itinerary includes HMC, and the other stops in Aruba.  I can take Aruba or leave it.  Some people go all gaga over it.  I've never seen the appeal.

Do you want to go eastbound or westbound?  I see you're in AL.  When I did a full transit this past January, I started in San Diego for 2 reasons - 1st, I love SD and would rather spend time pre-cruise there than in Miami; and 2nd, I got the long flight out of the way at the beginning, and then flew home to TN from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale at the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drlucy12 said:

Hi,

We are looking at the 18 day cruise in March 2022 on the Volendam.  From my browsing so far, I think we would prefer a full transit cruise versus a partial transit.  

This cruise is offered on the Volendam and has several ports that we have not been to on previous cruises.  We have been to several cruises in the Caribbean but the Pacific coast will be new for us so this is an exciting itinerary.

Questions:

2.  What is your impression of the Volendam? I have read a few reviews that stated it need to be refurbished.

Thanks!

Apologize in advance for any typos- I am doing this post on my iPhone!

Only you can decide if a suite is worth it to you. We only sail in  Suites, but that is us, not sure it applies to you.

I would always take a longer cruise...thats a no brainer.

Haven't sailed on the Volendam, but have sailed on several of her sisters. We like ships of that size, although they have a few less entertainment and eating options. Didn't stop us from multiple 14 and 17 day sailings on sister ships.

If you have an actual stop in Panama, rather than just a transit of the Canal, that is definite plus. Not many ships on full transits actually stop in Panama.

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

By Bahamas, are you referring to Half Moon Cay, HAL's private island? 

HMC - never thought of that when the OP said Bahamas.  Colour me stupid today.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Roz said:

I only found a 16 and an 18 day PC itinerary on the Volendam in that time frame.  By Bahamas, are you referring to Half Moon Cay, HAL's private island?  HMC is nice, but I'm not sure it would be the determining factor for you in choosing a PC cruise.  One itinerary includes HMC, and the other stops in Aruba.  I can take Aruba or leave it.  Some people go all gaga over it.  I've never seen the appeal.

Do you want to go eastbound or westbound?  I see you're in AL.  When I did a full transit this past January, I started in San Diego for 2 reasons - 1st, I love SD and would rather spend time pre-cruise there than in Miami; and 2nd, I got the long flight out of the way at the beginning, and then flew home to TN from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale at the end.

Hi,

We were looking at an eastbound cruise since we live in Alabama.  Easier flight home! 😄

HMC was not a big factor for us but the extra port day in Panama was a big plus.   There are not many cruise lines that offer a day in Panama plus cruising the canal.  

28 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

the extra port day in Panama was a big plus.   There are not many cruise lines that offer a day in Panama plus cruising the canal.  

The port stop on the Pacific side of the Canal allows for interesting visits to Panama City.  

The Volendam is an excellent ship without all of the bells and whistles that one does not need on such an itinerary.  Having the Crow's Nest as a place for viewing is a plus.  During my January partial Canal transit on the Eurodam, both ways, it was pouring rain.  Having the Crow's Nest as a place to sightsee, stay dry, and hear the interesting commentary surely was an advantage.  

Booking a Neptune Suite?  Study the perks that go along with such a booking.  Many enjoy having breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.  I found it to be more "formal" than I prefer at that time of the morning.  A Room Service Breakfast is what I more prefer if I choose not to go to the MDR or the Lido.  

Preparing for your Canal cruise:  reading The Path Between the Seas will help you to better appreciate what you will see.  

4 hours ago, Roz said:

. . . Do you want to go eastbound or westbound?  I see you're in AL.  When I did a full transit this past January, I started in San Diego for 2 reasons - 1st, I love SD and would rather spend time pre-cruise there than in Miami; and 2nd, I got the long flight out of the way at the beginning, and then flew home to TN from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale at the end.

I booked  an 18 day Panama Cruise on the Zaandam (February 2021) and chose the San Diego -  Fort Lauderdale for just those reasons. It will be our first time in San Diego, and we'll have the cruise to relax after the flight and sight-seeing. Once we are off the ship, I'm always eager to get home. Fingers crossed that we get to go!

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

. . . .Preparing for your Canal cruise:  reading The Path Between the Seas will help you to better appreciate what you will see.  

Thank you for the recommendation!

Edited by Dismomx5

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Preparing for your Canal cruise:  reading The Path Between the Seas will help you to better appreciate what you will see.  

I second that. It’s a definite must, imho.

OP: besides asking questions here, the Panama Canal forum is an excellent place for doing more research and asking questions.  

We did our second full transit of the Canal in January.  It’s a fabulous experience.  (Sadly, that turned out to be the last cruise we’ll be taking for some time. ☹️)

We were on the Zuiderdam this February for our first Panama Canal visit.  We took an 11-day RT from Lauderdale .  We enjoyed the partial transit and also visited 4 ports for the 1st time in Aruba, Columbia, Curacao and Costa Rica.   We are fans of HAL mainly for the crews.  We were in a Signature suite in February,  It was good for the 3 of us.  Last year on a land-sea in Alaska, we had a neptune aft wrap-around suite.  We loved it.  The Neptune lounge was handy for snacks and the staff there was very helpful with reservations and answers.  We would do one again if affordable.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We did our second full transit of the Canal in January.  It’s a fabulous experience.  (Sadly, that turned out to be the last cruise we’ll be taking for some time. ☹️)

I did my 1st full transit from Feb. 1 - 14, 2020 on a Carnival Journeys cruise.  Talk about getting off a cruise ship just in the nick of time!  All heck broke loose after that.  And I had high hopes for 2020.  Other than my cruise, it's turned out to be a real bust. 

I'm 67 and still working, and am so glad I've done all the traveling and cruising I've been able to, and not be one of these people that keeps saying "when I retire".  

• Like 1

I was studying the deck plans on the Volendam.  Are there any major differences between the Neptune suite SA and SB besides the proximity to the Neptune lounge? I was looking at other posts on CC and that was pointed out as the main difference.  A few extra steps is a good thing on a cruise with all the great food!!

2 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

I was studying the deck plans on the Volendam.  Are there any major differences between the Neptune suite SA and SB besides the proximity to the Neptune lounge? I was looking at other posts on CC and that was pointed out as the main difference.  A few extra steps is a good thing on a cruise with all the great food!!

No, no real difference.

1. Another book that I like is Anne Vipond's "Panama Canal by Cruise Ship".  If you don't have time to read "The Path Between the Seas", you will get a decent appreciation for the Canal from Anne's book.  She also talks about the Typical Ports that are visited, Shore Excursions, etc.  She provides good information that can help you plan your cruise.  The more you know about the Canal, the more you will appreciate it.  (The full transit of the Panama Canal is my favorite cruise.  Reading this thread makes me want to sign up for my fourth trip!)
  • Like 2