what are you doing at home?

crusinbanjo

49 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Date night tonight. Luckily managed to find a Restaurant. It was very close by and very quiet. We ended up having Chinese washed down with a not too shabby Gewurtzraminer.

20200515_180118.jpg

IMG-20200515-WA0000.jpeg

20200515_185417.jpg

20200515_185602.jpg

20200515_193018.jpg

20200515_191557.jpg

No restaurants are open here for sit in dining, Take away only.  But that looks fantastic!  

We are having restaurants re-open at partial capacity.  I am waiting for them to be open enough so when I eat

out I can sit at the bar.  Although since my diet has changed so much I don't know when that will be anyway.

There are several restaurants nearby that serve fresh fish so I know I can order that😄and I love it too.

Davey, the guy who is our Property Manager (I live in a condo community), he is on Keto too.   We were chatting 

recently and he has lost about 30 lbs.  I am just being really careful with the carbs but not on that diet. 

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Your bread, as ever looks amazing Jeff, especially considering I’m on Keto at the mo and I’m craving it so badly!

Hi,

I started off on a no-carb diet but relented slightly to an ultra-low carb diet.  So I allow ourselves one'ish carb per week.  Last week I had my first bowl of chips in around ten weeks or so ........

Having bread rarely - so it must be the center of the meal - is tough for me.  But all I want is to lower the sugars ....

Jeff:)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Davey, the guy who is our Property Manager (I live in a condo community), he is on Keto too.   We were chatting 

recently and he has lost about 30 lbs.  I am just being really careful with the carbs but not on that diet. 

Lois,

Hopefully you might have glanced at some of the stuff I recommended - so be as close to no-carb as possible might be the best aim.  It turns out that the advice I was given when I was pre-diab#2 and the advice everyone was seemingly given did harm.  I was told to eat lot's of potato, rice, bread, pasta etc and keep off butter etc.  As you hopefully know - all that stuff turns rapidly into su=gar which will give you sugar spikes.  That had been it seems a major contributor to the diabetes epedemic but obviously sold lots of medication.  Your aim really must be to try and reverse the diabetes as much as you can so that you might reduce if not eventually stop the medication.  Insulin helps in the short-term but makes diabetes worst hence it inevitably becomes progressive.  I promise you, many, many people find that this can be reversed with effort. 

And when I had a low potassium I was told to eat bananas, potatos etc ...  poison to diabetics.   I am now apparently OK with vodka ..... 🙂

This is a link to some graphics that David Unwin developed and now adopted by NICE in the UK to try and help people understand how many spoons of sugar an average portion of food is ie using glycemic load.  A banana becomes a frightening thing but there are things that you can have that traditionally were forbidden.  But that involves rather new scientific opinions with respect to cholesterol, etc particularly LDL which wasn't as simple as it once was etc.  and refined hydrogenated nut oils compared to butter, lard olive oil etc.  All worth understanding and forming your own opinions to consider alongside what you are advised.  I hope you watch some of his lectures he gives to the med profession as well as some from locarbdownunder which is a great if rather technical source.

Sugar infographics now available to download - The Diabetes Times

This is a link to his other graphics. 

https://phcuk.org/nice/

Keep up the good work and don't slide - "life" is worth a bit of research and self-help.

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff, thanks for the post. I haven't eaten potatoes in forever.....I honestly cannot remember the last time.

I know the "white" foods are the carbs that turn to sugar.  Some carbs are ok........but all those you mentioned?

Potatoes, rice and bread? Those have so many.........oh, I LOVE potatoes..........I know a sweet potato is ok and 

I love those as well.  But I am trying to get used to my new normal.

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jeff, thanks for the post. I haven't eaten potatoes in forever.....I honestly cannot remember the last time.

I know the "white" foods are the carbs that turn to sugar.  Some carbs are ok........but all those you mentioned?

Potatoes, rice and bread? Those have so many.........oh, I LOVE potatoes..........I know a sweet potato is ok and 

I love those as well.  But I am trying to get used to my new normal.

Hi,

You've done really well to do without potatoes.  But for what it's worth there are compensations.  You almost have to unlearn what you've been taught over a lifetime. It is about sugar not simply calories. 

A few nights ago for supper I was desperate for a slice of bread but resisted.  What I did instead was to fry some thinly sliced onion in butter and olive oil and then added some egg (one egg plus one yolk) and mixed it into a sort of omelette and then sprinkled some grated cheese over it and grilled it and ate it straight out of the pan with a spoon.  It was delicious and I'm sorry I didn't photograph it and it was pretty carb-free. There was no self-harm!

David Unwin I think describes it well.  He says that it isn't a diet but a lifestyle change.  Diet implies going on it and then off it.  Your enemy is the insulin medications which if you think of it logically, it will make a person with insulin resistance in time more resistant.  It fights the symptoms not the cause.  The cause is the amount of sugar in your blood.  So fight the sugar battle in all it's forms.  So inevitably you will require more and more and stronger and stronger meds to keep your sugars stable unless you radically remove the foods that cause the sugars.  In a way it's a bit like having to give a drug-taker more and more drugs in order for them to attain the same "high".  Basically you need to keep ioncreasing it.  Same with alcohol and an alcoholic.

The good thing is that let no one tell you that you do not have the power and ability to control and reverse your condition.  It isn't easy.  You may not be able to go into complete remission but you might be able to if you decide you will do.  That is why the lifestyle change is so important.  This is how one of David Unwin's first patients progressed:

Dr David Unwin on Twitter: "Graph of the week: Drug free ...

Aspire to have yourself have a similar chart.

All the best

Jeff  🙂

• Like 2

Quote from Jeff

"A few nights ago for supper I was desperate for a slice of bread but resisted.  What I did instead was to fry some thinly sliced onion in butter and olive oil and then added some egg (one egg plus one yolk) and mixed it into a sort of omelette and then sprinkled some grated cheese over it and grilled it and ate it straight out of the pan with a spoon.  It was delicious and I'm sorry I didn't photograph it and it was pretty carb-free. There was no self-harm!"

Jeff, this sounds delicious😃

Wot I was doin’ at home. 

In the early hours having over-Netflixed but under-Absoluted I decided to go exploring through  my long list of Youtube live streams and ended up in one of my favourite places - the penguin house at Kansas Zoo.  

It turns out that whilst they all stand around and chat - difficult to know what about as I don’t  beak-read - but I think it was mostly chatter about fish and the absence of decent help these days, and other pengy topical stuff.

Anyway, after about ten minutes the shuffling and lumbering around and gossiping seemed to stop in sort of rough unison, and I could see them turn their heads to each other in what looked like them saying stuff like “Good night Penelope”  “Sweet dreams Colin” and then they all stood silently and very still and the lights went off.  

Colin -doing as all well brought up Pengies should stifled a yawn with his flipper and then they all then went absolutely still and went to sleep.  Standing up.    

Except for one who shuffled off for a late-night skinny dip.

There’s always one rebel.

Jeff 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Terry in Ohio, here is the final result of my home office remodel.  Baseboards going down and putting everything back in place.  Almost done, will be complete today!    And, since we can't be cruising, I have to come up with another project!  Stay safe.

Resized_Resized_20200516_091344001.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20200516_121242001.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20200516_121342001.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Terry in Ohio, here is the final result of my home office remodel.  Baseboards going down and putting everything back in place.  Almost done, will be complete today!    And, since we can't be cruising, I have to come up with another project!  Stay safe.

Resized_Resized_20200516_091344001.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20200516_121242001.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20200516_121342001.jpeg

Are you near South Florida??

Nicely done, cruisinbanjo! 

I put up the blocks for my planter today. Pretty happy with how it came out.

20200516_155745.thumb.jpg.35901bc8b587d5ccbe854cd0e36082db.jpg

Was a challenge because the ground is far from level, and the right side needed an extra tier of blocks.

Trying to decide whether to add one more tier or not. 

I went grocery shopping today........got a lot of stuff, including more fresh fish (I LOVE IT) and bought a package of

2 LARGE Portobello Mushrooms. I love them.....I am going to just put some seasonings on them and bake them and

before taking out, will put a mixture of cheeses in them...........Love it😀.......they are really like a meal on their own.

Maybe I will have  a salad on the side.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Nicely done, cruisinbanjo! 

I put up the blocks for my planter today. Pretty happy with how it came out.

20200516_155745.thumb.jpg.35901bc8b587d5ccbe854cd0e36082db.jpg

Was a challenge because the ground is far from level, and the right side needed an extra tier of blocks.

Trying to decide whether to add one more tier or not. 

WOW, That looks great!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Impressive visual evidence from both cruisinbanjo and J.P. for their progress, creativity and success.  For the home office, was amazed in seeing that you were using a professional, air-powered nail-gun.

Big day yesterday as things in Ohio opened up for outdoor dining being OK.  Had nice breakfast with my wife at an outdoor, French-styled dining location.  Then, dinner last night on the outdoor patio with good friends at the neighborhood Pig Iron Grill.  All at safe distances, proper cleaning, masks, etc., etc.  Fun and tasty!!  Plus, also got four flats of flowers at a super busy nursery location.  Nice that Spring is here and we can be outside on our screened porch.  Will be a high of 83F here today.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,284 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Good morning, Terry, the meals sound really nice.........it must have been very different eating at a restaurant! 

What did you have for breakfast?

I don't want to jinx myself but my feet are looking alot better😃 JP, maybe the lasix  finally worked? Or my drinking

so much water every day or a combination of both......but yesterday and today the swelling has definitely gone down.

Hoping this is recovery for them!!!! (the feet) LOL