what are you doing at home?

crusinbanjo

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Terry, the meals sound really nice.........it must have been very different eating at a restaurant!  What did you have for breakfast?   I don't want to jinx myself but my feet are looking alot better

Glad, Lois, to hear your feet are looking better.  From breakfast yesterday, I had a three-egg omelet with ham, mushrooms, etc.  Wanted their eggs benedict, but as they are cranking up with the dining options and re-opening, their menu yesterday was more limited than normal.  Hopefully, I will be able to enjoy that dish with the special Hollandaise sauce in the future. But, yesterday's dining and menu variety was a nice move forward compared to the "usual" at home.  Progress is happening!!  And, safely!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Impressive visual evidence from both cruisinbanjo and J.P. for their progress, creativity and success.  For the home office, was amazed in seeing that you were using a professional, air-powered nail-gun.

Big day yesterday as things in Ohio opened up for outdoor dining being OK.  Had nice breakfast with my wife at an outdoor, French-styled dining location.  Then, dinner last night on the outdoor patio with good friends at the neighborhood Pig Iron Grill.  All at safe distances, proper cleaning, masks, etc., etc.  Fun and tasty!!  Plus, also got four flats of flowers at a super busy nursery location.  Nice that Spring is here and we can be outside on our screened porch.  Will be a high of 83F here today.   

Terry: Dinner sounded Amazing!  We are still in lockdown, but hoping things ease up in the near future!  I'm so glad you were able to get out with friends.

Growing up with my Dad's construction co,  all of his sons were required to learn a trade prior to college and a professional career.  My brothers mostly became stone masons, mine was carpentry, (before moving up the ranks to become a Jewelry Manufacturing exec and Business owner).  I have always had professional woodworking tools and quite frankly don't know how one can live without them!  Ha  I still maintain all of my carpentry tools, both hand tools, power tools and a pretty well equipped shop.  This pause in cruising has given me some extra time to brush up on some skills, but I am looking forward to getting back to traveling!  

Resized_Resized_20200516_195441002.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20200516_121944001.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Terry: Dinner sounded Amazing!  We are still in lockdown, but hoping things ease up in the near future!  I'm so glad you were able to get out with friends.  Growing up with my Dad's construction co,  all of his sons were required to learn a trade prior to college and a professional career.  My brothers mostly became stone masons, mine was carpentry, (before moving up the ranks to become a Jewelry Manufacturing exec and Business owner).  I have always had professional woodworking tools and quite frankly don't know how one can live without them!  Ha  I still maintain all of my carpentry tools, both hand tools, power tools and a pretty well equipped shop.  This pause in cruising has given me some extra time to brush up on some skills, but I am looking forward to getting back to traveling!  

Appreciate these excellent visuals, your woodworking background and this interesting follow-ups.  YES, it's wonderful to have such skills and this impressive collection of equipment.  FUN!!  

In our home, built in 1929, we have some nice original woodwork, plus in doing two major additions, we had skilled folks exercise those skills.  The results are wonderful and add such nice "character" to our home.  Also over the years, we have had the Amish in Ohio craft a variety of cherry wood items that are wonderful.  Great carpentry results pay benefits for decades to come.  Appreciate your sharing!!

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

From a walk in our ravine area, here are some nice wildflowers coming up with nice colors.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMC_1717.jpeg.b804912881d5a1dc419c767601c8e7df.jpeg

In our front home area, here are some blue flowers showing off with a reddish Japanese maple having its wonderful leaves showing.:

CMC_1724.jpeg.1c22955b3e201f3c441cc5e4ece03c85.jpeg

On our patio, my wife has some different herbs.  Below are a couple pretty flowers from the chive plant popping up.:

CMC_1727.jpeg.12f9c3c1b35662f6547a6afe677c3423.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate these excellent visuals, your woodworking background and this interesting follow-ups.  YES, it's wonderful to have such skills and this impressive collection of equipment.  FUN!!  

In our home, built in 1929, we have some nice original woodwork, plus in doing two major additions, we had skilled folks exercise those skills.  The results are wonderful and add such nice "character" to our home.  Also over the years, we have had the Amish in Ohio craft a variety of cherry wood items that are wonderful.  Great carpentry results pay benefits for decades to come.  Appreciate your sharing!!

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

From a walk in our ravine area, here are some nice wildflowers coming up with nice colors.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMC_1717.jpeg.b804912881d5a1dc419c767601c8e7df.jpeg

In our front home area, here are some blue flowers showing off with a reddish Japanese maple having its wonderful leaves showing.:

CMC_1724.jpeg.1c22955b3e201f3c441cc5e4ece03c85.jpeg

On our patio, my wife has some different herbs.  Below are a couple pretty flowers from the chive plant popping up.:

CMC_1727.jpeg.12f9c3c1b35662f6547a6afe677c3423.jpeg

Thanks Terry:  Beautiful flowers  Our house is a little newer.  

I designed it in the late 1990's and had it built in 1999.  We tried to incorporate many of the features from the Mansions in Newport, like long windows that almost touch the floor, high ceilings, stained glass and moldings that are reminiscent of the early 1900's.  Many of these I put in myself and it makes our home a unique design with many touches that I think you would appreciate. 

• Like 1

Planting bed done! With the extra tier of stones, it looks much better, I think. Harder to tell that it's not exactly level!

20200518_170002.thumb.jpg.9db6355f028c0c1551c3b480acfb8935.jpg

Now I have to find someone to fill it with a yard of dirt. After Chris and I carried 1500 pounds of stone to the site, and built the wall, I'm ready to let someone else share in the heavy lifting.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

With the extra tier of stones, it looks much better,

Agreed JP, looks great.  And you won't regret having someone else fill it with dirt...

Emtbsam - when JP is done can we borrow it next?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Planting bed done! With the extra tier of stones, it looks much better, I think. Harder to tell that it's not exactly level!

20200518_170002.thumb.jpg.9db6355f028c0c1551c3b480acfb8935.jpg

Now I have to find someone to fill it with a yard of dirt. After Chris and I carried 1500 pounds of stone to the site, and built the wall, I'm ready to let someone else share in the heavy lifting.

I agree, let someone else fill it in, then you can plant and take all the credit.🤩  Really nice wo4k.  The extra course on the right was exactly the correct way to do that job.!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

I will lend you my front end loader.

Maybe Chris will buy me one for our anniversary? Isn't that the traditional gift for 25 years? 🤣

4 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

I agree, let someone else fill it in, then you can plant and take all the credit.🤩  Really nice wo4k.  The extra course on the right was exactly the correct way to do that job.!

Thanks - It would have been perfect if I'd set up a water level to span the whole distance. I only had a 4' carpenter's level, so I had to level it in sections as I went, which probably led to the small tilt. Still, I'm pretty happy with it, for a first effort. Have never tried something like this before...now I know why! 

JP ...And it needs to have a snow blower attachment as well!  The planter looks great!  What will you put in it?  

QueSeraSera... Of course you can borrow it!  I will drive it right down to you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

What will you put in it?  

Not sure of the overall plan yet. Have grown tomatoes in containers for years, and wanted to try a bigger space. That was the main reason for building this raised bed.

So, will plant some tomatoes for sure. Will see what else strikes our fancy. Hope the rabbits don't eat all of it. 

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Don’t let him fool you Emtbsam.  He’s planting all sorts of herbs so he can make a wide variety of botanicals for his fancy cocktails. 😉

Ha, Stumbles. I'm always suspicious of people from Colorado who talk about herbs...

The herb garden has been going for a few years now. That was the first to be set up. When we built our sunroom, there ended up being a gap in the deck, because they had to tear a bit more down than expected while digging the foundation. So we covered the gap with a planter. 

20200519_065605.thumb.jpg.7256098d5aca96118ce58858623b212f.jpg

Didn't realize that chives are perennial. This batch is 3 years old.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Maybe Chris will buy me one for our anniversary? Isn't that the traditional gift for 25 years? 🤣

Thanks - It would have been perfect if I'd set up a water level to span the whole distance. I only had a 4' carpenter's level, so I had to level it in sections as I went, which probably led to the small tilt. Still, I'm pretty happy with it, for a first effort. Have never tried something like this before...now I know why! 

If you take the time to think it through and have the patients to do the work, the project usually works out well.  like I said before, Really nice work!  Thanks for sharing the pics

I spent my entire day reading a collection of gamer's magazines. It was quite fun. I somehow travelled back in the past and was warmed up by those days when I could stay at home for day without any quarantine around and just enjoy my self being. What a wonderfull time it was 

• Like 1