what are you doing at home?

crusinbanjo

What is comedic is the squirrels trying to solve our bird feeder. We've had this one about 15 years and they have come close, but never really solved it.

http://drollyankees.com/product/yankee-flipper-bird-feeder/

This is an amazing device! The perch where the birds land to eat is spring-loaded. If a squirrel puts weight on it, it trips a motor which spins it around. We have some old video somewhere of them trying it when we first got it. They hang on for dear life for a few spins around, before they go flying off to land with a thud.

You do have to hang it far enough from the pole, otherwise they can climb the pole, stay there, and reach the food without triggering the perch. So I have a shepherd's crook that hangs it a good 18" beyond my deck railing.

They have tried everything without success. They climb the shepherd's crook and try to reach across  - which they almost can, but once their front paws touch the perch, it spins. They climb all the way up on top of the feeder, and try to hang on with their back paws, and stretch...not quite! Sometimes they slip off and go for a spin. They sit on top and claw at the metal lid, which has some amazing gouges on it - but it holds.

Most of the time they sit under the feeder, looking forlorn, and hope that the birds drop something for them. I know better; they are really plotting to dig up my garden for revenge. Buggers!

I think the only time they've really gotten any food out is if they are lucky enough to catch it when the battery is dead. Then they can hang on the shepherd's crook with their back paws, reach over, and snag the perch with their front paws, and start eating. It's still an impressive feat of agility, so I give them a few minutes of bliss before I go change the battery and put them back in their state of permanent misery.

We've worn out one battery pack so far and I bought a backup, so now I just keep one charged and switch it out. This feeder is worth the $ just for the laughs alone.

And the spring is light enough that when a heavy bird (like a starling) lands on it too aggressively, it spins. They aren't discouraged, though.

• Like 1

We have had trouble with bears & raccoons besides squirrels with our bird feeders in this house so Larry built a hanger thing which can be pulled up to load feeders. Hope one of the photos shows it ok. We still bring everything in at night.

20180802_102827.jpg

20180801_163129.jpg

20180802_102840.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

Today we have over 4 inches of snow on it. Love "springtime in the Rockies".

WOW!!!  Having four inches of snow in June is pretty amazing.  Today in Central Ohio, we will have lots of sun, blue skies and a high of 92F.  Very, very HOT today here.  

Yesterday was all-beff hot dogs on the grill for lunch.  Not as fancy as done by J.P. and others, but very tasty and enjoyable!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

IMG_5199.jpeg.fa7318c07eeae05be759b481001815e8.jpeg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, I LOVE grilled hot dogs!!!!!!!!!

Great to know that Lois has such excellent and high-class dining desires in loving grilled hot dogs.  I forgot to mention one very key part of that hot dog delight package.  That is putting spicy brown mustard on top to accent the wonderful experience. 

7 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great to know that Lois has such excellent and high-class dining desires in loving grilled hot dogs.  I forgot to mention one very key part of that hot dog delight package.  That is putting spicy brown mustard on top to accent the wonderful experience. 

Mrs Banjo and I enjoy a good hotdog on the grill occasionally as well. Looks really good Terry!
Today is sunny and warm, in Massachusetts.  Looks like a day for the Tandem to come out again and a picnic at the Cape Cod Canal.

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

HAHAHA😀.......Terry, I prefer regular mustard to the spicy stuff............just good ole French's works for me!

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

putting spicy brown mustard on top

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

good ole French's works for me!

Nope, only the fancy stuff here! What I've got around the house these days...

20200610_120357.thumb.jpg.f6365c0cac5494a9ebfafe5bfc9df92a.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Not a fan snow?  Stumblefoot, but your photo..... aren't you the Abominable Snowman?

Good point, crusinbanjo!  But, even us Bumbles who Stumble enjoy a summer respite so that we may shed our winter coat and prepare for the new season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Nope, only the fancy stuff here! What I've got around the house these days...

20200610_120357.thumb.jpg.f6365c0cac5494a9ebfafe5bfc9df92a.jpg

oh wow, ....you are such a foodie😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Terry, I prefer regular mustard to the spicy stuff............just good ole French's works for me!

Great pix's and posting by J.P. about his wonderful options for his specialized mustards. Personally, I have and use at times the Grey Poupon Dijon.  Nice!!  French's regular yellow mustard is OK, but I like a little more "KICK" on my "dogs".  Glad that crusinbanjo likes grilled hot dogs.  Did grilling last night with chicken breasts.  Came out very well and was super tasty, moist and highly enjoyable.  

Sorry to hear about Lois' upcoming colonoscopy.  Yes, that terrible "PREP" is not fun by needing to drink that bad stuff to clean your insides out.  Good luck!!  Keep us posted as to how that works out.  Hopefully, they will give you a green light that things are all healthy with no problems.  

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

22 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Omg Lois

The good news is after its over you won't remember it.

Hi Spins, I know.........I think the last one I had was about 12 years ago.....or there abouts........the prep is definitely

worse than the procedure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The good news is after its over you won't remember it.

I wish that were true.  I’ll never forget the pain during the procedure and hearing the doctor say, “boy, it’s like this guy’s colon is in knots.”  Lovely.  Can we get some more anesthesia on table 3, please?

8 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I wish that were true.  I’ll never forget the pain during the procedure and hearing the doctor say, “boy, it’s like this guy’s colon is in knots.”  Lovely.  Can we get some more anesthesia on table 3, please?

OMG........I hope this was supposed to be sarcastically funny?...................

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

What I am doing at home today?.............it is prep day-----having a colonoscopy tomorrow😮

That makes for a really crappy day!  But as always, better to be safe,   Hope it all goes well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

That makes for a really crappy day!  But as always, better to be safe,   Hope it all goes well.

Agree with above!!  Lois needs to update us after completing this procedure and that all did go well.