Please clarify "Double Your Deposit" cruise credit offer

chamima

We have several future cruises that have been cancelled.

All were booked with FCCs.

I received the "Double Your Deposit" offer and took it to mean we'd get double the OBCs we were going to get from the FCCs on a future cruise.

Someone on our cruise has said that's not accurate - that we'll get the same OBC we were going to get originally or even less.

This is the wording

"Guests who have not paid in full, have the option to stick with us by accepting this special Double your Deposit Future Cruise Credit offer: Transfer the money deposited for your vacation as a refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) and Princess will provide a matching bonus FCC for the same amount up to the base cruise fare amount of the current cruise (minimum $100 per person"

Our "deposit" was $100 (the FCC) and the original OBC was to be $150 for one cruise (26 days) and $100 for another (12 days)

By accepting this offer will we actually be losing money on the first cruise? Or will we be getting $300 OBC for a future long cruise?

So confusing!!!!!

There's a video on the webinar thread (scroll down for it) that explains it as doubling the amount OF MONEY you put down up to the cruise fare.There's a slide with an FCC example and that is subtracted before the doubling. You don't have any $$s on the cruise so you just get your FCC back in full. The minimum of $100 slide (yes, there's 6 examples) references those who put down $1. There's nothing regarding any perks inc OBC that you have.

Edited by Ombud

The May 7th webinar? It's 48 minutes so I want to make sure that's the right one before I invest an hour.

I started to watch...........

At minute 17:00 he says we are NOT doubling the FCCs.

So I should just cancel and get my refund now??????

Edited by chamima

1 hour ago, chamima said:

We have several future cruises that have been cancelled.

All were booked with FCCs.

I received the "Double Your Deposit" offer and took it to mean we'd get double the OBCs we were going to get from the FCCs on a future cruise.

Someone on our cruise has said that's not accurate - that we'll get the same OBC we were going to get originally or even less.

This is the wording

"Guests who have not paid in full, have the option to stick with us by accepting this special Double your Deposit Future Cruise Credit offer: Transfer the money deposited for your vacation as a refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) and Princess will provide a matching bonus FCC for the same amount up to the base cruise fare amount of the current cruise (minimum $100 per person"

Our "deposit" was $100 (the FCC) and the original OBC was to be $150 for one cruise (26 days) and $100 for another (12 days)

By accepting this offer will we actually be losing money on the first cruise? Or will we be getting $300 OBC for a future long cruise?

So confusing!!!!!

First, I am assuming you made booking deposits with FCD's of $100 value.  As you know, you earn some OBC with that, depending on both cabin category booked and length of the voyage.  The FCD is a special type of FCC. 

Princess is offering to give you back $200 FCC in your Captain Circle account which can be used as either deposit on a new booking, or payment towards balance owing on a future cruise up to May 1, 2022.

Yes, you "lose" the FCD's associated OBC for the cancelled cruise - it is always lost for any cancelled booking in normal circumstances.  When you cruise again, you will earn the OBC again - could be more or less, depending on what type of cruise voyage you book.  Take the potential OBC that you receive on board out of the equation.  It is not part of the offer and not tangible lost money because you only get it if/when you sail.  But you earn it again when you re-book.

Now at minute 19:42 they say you get the amount of a Future Cruise Deposit doubled.

Still doesn't answer my question about OBCs from the FCD

Do we still get the OBC from the original FCD or is that forfeited by taking this offer?

Steelers- I typed this before I saw your post.

So sorry if it repeats.

If I understand your post - if I take their offer and use the $200 to re-book, the original $100 will still generate the extra OBC for that future cruise PLUS the $100 for the offer.

Right????

Edited by chamima

8 minutes ago, chamima said:

Now at minute 19:42 they say you get the amount of a Future Cruise Deposit doubled.

Still doesn't answer my question about OBCs from the FCD

Do we still get the OBC from the original FCD or is that forfeited by taking this offer?

Steelers- I typed this before I saw your post.

So sorry if it repeats.

If I understand your post - if I take their offer and use the $200 to re-book, the original $100 will still generate the extra OBC for that future cruise PLUS the $100 for the offer.

Right????

One point first - in your earlier post, you mentioned the Princess video around 17 min mark.  At that point, he is talking about an actual FCC payment on a booking.  This is not the same as a FCD which I explained above and people often confuse this.  What he is talking about is a true FCC which came from an earlier cancellation or adjustment by Princess for some issue or other.  That amount is not part of the doubling offer - just the new cash or FCD's you paid on the current booking.

Your potential OBC is lost in any case - whether you take a cash refund or accept the Double Deposit offer.  As I mentioned before, you will re-earn the OBC when make a future booking.  You only get that OBC from FCD's if you actually sail on a voyage.

At the 19.5 or so minute mark, he is talking about a true FCD.  That is cash-equivalent in paying a deposit, so it forms part of the amount to be doubled.

You last sentence above is correct!

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

There's a video on the webinar thread (scroll down for it) that explains it as doubling the amount OF MONEY you put down up to the cruise fare.There's a slide with an FCC example and that is subtracted before the doubling. You don't have any $$s on the cruise so you just get your FCC back in full. The minimum of $100 slide (yes, there's 6 examples) references those who put down $1. There's nothing regarding any perks inc OBC that you have.

it all looks and sounds like a fraud. I dont see a single reason to double your money. I mean, just think about it? In my opinion they will artificially raise the cost of the cruises just to make you pay extra for it but because you dont want to pay extra they will give you "extra cash" just to cover the so called new prices for the cruise. I might be mistaken but this is how I see it 

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

it all looks and sounds like a fraud. I dont see a single reason to double your money. I mean, just think about it? In my opinion they will artificially raise the cost of the cruises just to make you pay extra for it but because you dont want to pay extra they will give you "extra cash" just to cover the so called new prices for the cruise. I might be mistaken but this is how I see it 

No one knows what cruises will cost in future.  All we can go by is the pricing currently posted for 2021 and parts of 2022.  On 2021 voyages we have booked, I have not seen a price increase - quite the opposite, but still not better than our original booking deal.

24 minutes ago, chamima said:

Thank you - yes, I was confusing FCC and FCD.

Now I understand.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Late in the video, around minute 38 in Q&A he refers specifically to FCD and as Steelers said $100 FCD is restored as $200.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Late in the video, around minute 38 in Q&A he refers specifically to FCD and as Steelers said $100 FCD is restored as $200.

I knew that. The question was whether it would still generate an OBC on a future cruise or if that was forfeited.

Seems to be yes - it will still generate that OBC.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:37 PM, cherylandtk said:

It was near the very end. FCD is converted to ‘cash status’ upon use;  if your cruise was in Pause 3 cancellations you can either get $200 FCC for your deposit, or ask for a refund.  IF the FCD expiration date has not passed, you can ask for your refund to be returned as an FCD. Pause 1 or 2 have different rules.

13 hours ago, chamima said:

I knew that. The question was whether it would still generate an OBC on a future cruise or if that was forfeited.

Seems to be yes - it will still generate that OBC.

Not as I understand it. 

If you accept the offer to have the $100 FCD that was used on the cancelled cruise converted to a Future Cruise Credit of $200, it is no longer an FCD.

You would have to use another FCD when booking a future cruise to get the OBC on that cruise to get the OBC associated with an FCD.

If I understand it wrong, then the original FCD, if it would not have expired, will be restored as a $100 FCD with the future booking benefit of an OBC plus there would be a $100 FCC (without OBC associated with it) added as the 100% bonus.

14 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Not restored as 200 FCD but as 200 FCC. You will be giving up OBC that comes with FCD. 

Still confused, we have a sailing on the Regal in November, it’s not cancelled but the first leg is, cut out sailing is a go at the moment. 
Anyway we have this cruise booked directly with Princess, final payment isn’t due yet but I’ve paid the cruise almost in full, paid monies randomly over the last 15 months. if the cruise is cancelled will I get double back what I’ve already paid out.  

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Not restored as 200 FCD but as 200 FCC. You will be giving up OBC that comes with FCD. 

So if my understanding is correct you are better off insisting the FCD is not converted to FCC and you therefore can use the FCD again without any additional deposit down payment.

If that's the case why would anyone accept the doubled FCC and lose the OBC, plus pay more for a deposit (despite having the FCC available to offset)?

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

So if my understanding is correct you are better off insisting the FCD is not converted to FCC and you therefore can use the FCD again without any additional deposit down payment.

If that's the case why would anyone accept the doubled FCC and lose the OBC, plus pay more for a deposit (despite having the FCC available to offset)?

I asked this question of my travel agent yesterday and got told its FCC, you cant get the FCD back.

1 hour ago, CCFC said:

I asked this question of my travel agent yesterday and got told its FCC, you cant get the FCD back.

Thanks Mike

Seems really unfair.

I've yet to check with my TA about my cancelled Enchanted Princess August cruise. When I do I'll post what they tell me, but I will try to have the FCD maintained. 

Peter

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Not as I understand it. 

If you accept the offer to have the $100 FCD that was used on the cancelled cruise converted to a Future Cruise Credit of $200, it is no longer an FCD.

You would have to use another FCD when booking a future cruise to get the OBC on that cruise to get the OBC associated with an FCD.

If I understand it wrong, then the original FCD, if it would not have expired, will be restored as a $100 FCD with the future booking benefit of an OBC plus there would be a $100 FCC (without OBC associated with it) added as the 100% bonus.

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

This was exactly my question - does my FCD turn into FCC and thus I lose the OBC on that future cruise.

I really didn't want to bother my TA - she is swamped - but may have to.

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Then why in the Webinar does she say 'as long as FCD has not expired' ? If it was simply converted to FCC expiration would not come into question.

Edit. Just listened to Webinar again at minute 32. She says something like 'FCD is doubled to $200 or they can ask for refund and it goes back to FCD as long as it hasn't expired'. So it would seem that you are correct, doubling FCD results in $200 FCC and no OBC for FCD. Must do the math but it looks like a wash for our cruises.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

I did not hear that 100FCD refunds as 200FCD. I heard it as 100FCD refunds as 200FCC unless specifically requested back as FCD. Of course this may all change in the next webinar. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I did not hear that 100FCD refunds as 200FCD. I heard it as 100FCD refunds as 200FCC unless specifically requested back as FCD. Of course this may all change in the next webinar. 

Agreed, our responses coincided. So my $100 FCD becomes $200 FCC and on 7 to 10 day cruise I lose $50 OBC in a Balcony. FCC seems to be better. I also believe the FCC is refundable, if not that would make a difference if future cruise is in doubt.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agreed, our responses coincided. So my $100 FCD becomes $200 FCC and on 7 to 10 day cruise I lose $50 OBC in a Balcony. FCC seems to be better. I also believe the FCC is refundable, if not that would make a difference if future cruise is in doubt.

Slides show it would be but only to the original $100

20200512_092654.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chamima said:

This was exactly my question - does my FCD turn into FCC and thus I lose the OBC on that future cruise.

I really didn't want to bother my TA - she is swamped - but may have to.

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Or you could view the same webinar slides she did if you don't want to view the 45 minute presentation.  Very few questions asked / answered:

https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/news/PrincessUpdate6Presentation.pdf 

I listened to the whole webinar and even went back and listened to what I felt were pertinent parts several times.

I don't feel the answers addressed my question clearly.

Maybe they are being vague on purpose or maybe they thought they were being clear - but they weren't.

And from the variety of answers on here I have a feeling that no one currently knows the answer.

Hopefully they will address it on the next webinar - does the original FCD remain an FCD (with associated OBC) or does it turn into FCC.?

(I understand that the bonus FCC does NOT generate any extra OBC but if I lose the OBC on a future long cruise I'm better off cancelling and getting that deposit returned to my FCD account)

• Like 1